U.S.S. Bremen - 11409.11, Mission #25

"Skellig"


<GM_Aoibhe>

USS Bremen Mission # 25



<GM_Aoibhe>

Skellig, Part 5.



<GM_Aoibhe>

The Bremen is in orbit around Skellig, the moon upon which the ruined Vulcan monastery is located.



<GM_Aoibhe>

There is ONE minute left of the self-destruct countdown that Captain Griffiths is refusing to abort. In an attempt to persuade him to see, Sumner has thoughtfully drawn his phaser. The Captain so far, seems unimpressed with Sumner's point of view.



<GM_Aoibhe>

Meanwhile, Adalberto-sicle and his team and teetering on the edge of life while Jameson tries to chat with whatever Mac has now become.



<GM_Aoibhe>

<<<Resume>>>



<CTO_Lt_Sumner>

::holds the phaser between thumb and forefinger, attempting to vent drive plasma into the junction containing the secondary command processors, clearly misunderstanding what the term 'sequence' refers to::



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

::Starts to feel desperate:: ~Para-mac~: What is it that you want from our crewman?



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::looks Henry in the eyes as he speaks:: CTO: Stand down, Lieutenant. Drop the phaser and let's both hear what Ensign sh'Hruvek has to say; either we're in the clear, and the self destruct will cancel, or we're not and killing me would be useless anyway. Decide.



<CTO_Lt_Sumner>

::glances up briefly:: CO: I wasn't planning on killing you, sir.



<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::comes to....barely, his vision blurry and he can barely feel his limbs as he lays on the freezing cold floor::



<GM_Aoibhe>

<Computer>

ALL: Self destruct will detonate in 60 seconds...



<SCI_Ens_shHruvek>

::hesitates for a moment--this is up to HER?--but flies to the station to do some desperate scans::



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::holds his gaze on Henry:: SCI: An update would be good right about now, Ensign.



<GM_Aoibhe>

<ENG_Lt_Mac>

::shudders, eyes closed swings her head in XO's direction:: ~XO: No harm... no... harm.



ACTION: CO's console flashes away frantically still.



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

::Feels hope rising:: ~Para-Mac~: We don't want to harm you, but you are harming our crewmen and our vessel



<CTO_Lt_Sumner>

::raises the temperature in Engineering while he's at it::



<GM_Aoibhe>

<ENG_Lt_Mac>

::shudders again, the cold making it impossible for its fruits to bloom:: ~XO: Nooo...harm.



<SCI_Ens_shHruvek>

::it's too early--it's too early for anything but the bio gel to bounce back positive, but this has a good chance of working--:: CO: Sir, it's working! ::it's her best guess:: CO: The spread is slowing down. It's working.



<GM_Aoibhe>

<Computer>

ALL: Self destruct will detonate in... 45 seconds.



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::glances up at her:: SCI: Confirm that the bacteria is killing off the fungal spores, Ensign. There is no room for error here!



<CTO_Lt_Sumner>

::frowns some as as the countdown continues:: Self: Well, shit... they can't all be winners. ::looks to the phaser and holsters it::



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

~Para-mac: We don't want to harm you, but we are trying to protect our people



<SCI_Ens_shHruvek>

CO: If you give me more time-- ::eyes glued to her monitors:: CO: Yes, it's working.



<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::hears the countdown and tries to turn around to see Mac before it's all gone but his body refuses to move::



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

::Feels no negative intentions from para-mac, but still wonders if it may be unintentionally hurting the crew::



<GM_Aoibhe>

<Computer>

ALL: Self destruct will detonate in... 30 seconds...



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::nods, stepping up out of the command circle as he speaks:: Computer: Computer, deactivate self destruct sequence. Authorisation Griffiths Alpha One One Pi.



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

*CO*: Captain, I can confirm that the parasite has no hostilie intentions towards us.



ACTION: The temperature in Engineering starts to rise.



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::taps his comm badge:: *XO*: Understood. ::steps over to Tactical and swiftly rams one meaty, heavy fist into Henry's solar plexus, taking the smaller man's outer arm with his other hand and spinning him to the floor, slamming him face-down to the ground and pinning him there:: *Security*: Security team to the bridge.



<OPS_Ens_Mor>

Bridge: My console has just gone bananas. The UI is been garbled to all hell. Can't decipher. XO: Commander can you ask the beings if they are responsible, sir?



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::glances up at the Science station:: SCI: Get a medical team up here, Ensign.



<CTO_Lt_Sumner>

::grunts and curses as he's sucker-punched, writhing lightly on the ground:: CO: You're... a dick...



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::looks back down at Sumner:: CTO: The next time to pull a phaser on me, Lieutenant, you'd better damn well make sure you kill me with it.



<GM_Aoibhe>

<Computer>

ALL: Self Destruct cancelled.



<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::blinks as he hears the computer cancel the self destruct::



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::pulls the phasers from it's holster as Security comes through the turbolift:: TAC: Once the Medical team arrives, take Mister Sumner to the brig.



<CTO_Lt_Sumner>

::continues trying to catch his breath, bones straining with the man's weight on his back:: CO: For the record... you're a terrible Captain.



<SCI_Ens_shHruvek>

::too keyed up to wind down or even look at anyone. just nods.:: *MED*: Medical team to the bridge, please.



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<TAC_Guye>

::nods, looking a little uncomfortable::



<OPS_Ens_Mor>

Self: Oooh, ag dankie god!...::wipes sweat from his brow::



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

CTO: I'm going to keep pretending that there's an alien parasite in your brain, Henry, because if it turns out there's not then you and I are going to have words. ::lets the pair of Tactical officers take over, getting up and brushing himself off::



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

::Looks up to the ceiling of ME in relief as she hears the shipwide announcement that teh self destruct was cancelled, and, by looking at her environment, can see it warming slightly::



<CTO_Lt_Sumner>

::manages to squirrel a hand free, giving the CO a rude gesture::



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

*OPS* Responsible for what, Ensign?



<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::still lays bare chested on the frozen metal floor, having lost all feeling in his extremeties:: All: I'm sorry..



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::ignores the childish behaviour:: SCI: I want reports every 5 minutes on the status if the fungal spores. How long until they've been entirely destroyed?



<GM_Aoibhe>

<ENG_Lt_Mac>

::stops shivering so much, remains on the floor in an awkward hunched position:: ~XO: No harm... we.



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<MED_Somun>

::rushes through the Turbolift with a team, and seeing the struggling CTO between a pair of security guards::



<OPS_Ens_Mor>

*XO* Sir, my console is no longer responsive. Receiving interference that is garbling my interface. Given the sentient nature of these fungus among us, its not beyond the realm of possibility that they have something to do with it. Just a thought sir



ACTION: Both CO's and and OPS's consoles return to normal functioning order.



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<MED_Somun>

::takes out her Tricorder and begins running her scans on Sumner::



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

::Grasps hold of the extension:: ~Para-Mac: We....what? What can we....::Stops, as she suddenly gets a visual from para-mac, of the planet's surface below, Skellig::



<SCI_Ens_shHruvek>

::there's a stressed, nervous tremor in her voice as she clears her throat:: CO: The bacteria still needs time to reach the rest of the ship, but I'll give you a clearer estimate once the computer's had a chance to analyse the rate of spore decay.



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

*CO*: Captain, the parasite, it is from the planet's surface.



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::raises an eyebrow slightly:: SCI: You have evidence of fungal spore's being killed by the bacteria, it's just simple math from there, Ensign. Give me an estimate.



<CTO_Lt_Sumner>

::blows out through his nose as it starts to bleed::



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

*OPS*: I'm not sure i'd be able to get such a comprehensive response for such a technical based question Ensign. butI will do my best, when appropriate



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::taps his comm badge:: *XO*: I could have guessed that myself, Commander, seeing as the probe is also from the planet's surface. I want it out of our Engineering team and back there, or dead.



<SCI_Ens_shHruvek>

::antennae tense up:: CO: Then I estimate half an hour, sir.



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

::Sighs a little, realising he has no idea what this costs her:: Self: Just updating you when I find things out, Sir.



ACTION: The sudden rise in temperature in Main Engineering causes some of the more exposed engineers to go into shock, CEO included.



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

~Para-Mac: What do we need to do for you to leave our people?



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::nods, accepting it:: SCI: Every 5 minutes, give me an update. ::steps back down to the command circle and checks his console:: OPS: Notify Starfleet that we're got the infection under control, we should have it eradicated within half an hour. We'll take care of this parasite business ourselves from there.



<CTO_Lt_Sumner>

::gets carted off into the TL, headed for the brig::



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<MED_Somun>

::follows with her Tricorder::



ACTION: XO gets a clearer image of the surface of Skellig, flashing repeatedly in her mind. She sees a small rodent-like animal inflicted with the fungus, shivering and prostrate, the fungus' fruits rising high in the air and its spores floating away on the wind.



<GM_Aoibhe>

MED_Somun>

::reads off her scans:: CO: He's positive... ::steps away from the CTO::



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

~Para-Mac: And what happens to the host, after the spores leave?



<OPS_Ens_Mor>

CO: Aye, sir........SF Medical acknowledges. Asks if they should dispatch relief ships to help with crew stablisation and recovery. What say you sir?



<CTO_Lt_Sumner>

::sighs softly:: MED: Figures...



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::nods slightly:: MED: Lucky for him. Get a containment field around the brig and give him a heavy dose of the bacterial culture, that should push it out.



ACTION: XO gets hit with another image, this time the rodent, a little worse for wear, with old fungus rotting off its fur is seen nibbling on a nut of some kind.



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

::Brightens:: ~Para-mac: They survive! So you just need the to allow the fruit to appears, and the spores to leave the host and the host survives



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

Self: But how to contain the spores? and send them down to the planet



<GM_Aoibhe>

<ENG_Lt_Mac>

::lets out a rattling gasping breath, the warmth returning to Engineering allowing the fungus to start growing once more on her skin::



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

*CO*: Captain, the infected survive! If we allow the parasite to form fruit, and the spores to leave the host, the host will live.



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::frowns:: *XO*: How do you know that, Commander?



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

*CO* We just need a way to contain the spores, to send them back to the planet. The parasite....showed me.



<GM_Aoibhe>

<MED_Somun>

::rushes off to get some of the bacterial culture::



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

*XO*: It...showed you? And that's that, no investigation, no hesitance on your part? What if it actually destroys the host when it spawns and just showed you a false image to lull you into security?



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

*CO* I sense nothing hostile from it at all. No deception. If we beam the infected to the planet, and allow the process to complete there, we should be able to beam then back, uninfected, once the process is complete



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

*XO*: Commander, this infection drove our Engineering team to attack each other, it's controlling one of them right now against her will - I will need a lot more proof than some mental images it sent you.



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

*CO* I suspect this is the best you will get. Either trust me, and my abilities and judgement, or allow the crew to carry on as they are



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

*XO*: Our bacterial solution is destroying the infectious spores, it won't be long until this habitat is non-viable and the parasites will likely die off. Either we get a show of faith, or we wait it out.



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

*CO*: Like what, Captain? What else do you want from it. It's contacting us the best it can. it's showing us what we are asking, how to save our people. What more do you want, except killing off a sentient lifeform?



<GM_Aoibhe>

<MED_Somun>

::scampers back with a hypo full of lovely bacteria, presses it to the side of CTO's neck::



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

*XO*: It's an infectious, invasive parasite, Commander. If you can truly communicate with it, tell it to leave the bodies of our crew and we will gladly transport them down to the planet where they can find something else to infect.



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

*XO*: We are not a part of its biological life cycle except as a freak accident of nature.



ACTION: The fungus in the rest of the engineers starts to take hold of their bodies. The extra presence in each of them bolsters their internal systems and allows their shock to subside.



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

~Para-mac: Why can you not leave our crewmen, and transport you to your planet independently?



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<Medical Team>

::stands around in Main Engineering, staring at the pretty lights and flicking the tags on their EVA suits idly::



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<TAC_Guye>

::raises and lowers the Brig forcefields as the Medical team take their leave, staring at Henry from his console::



<SCI_Ens_shHruvek>

::every five minutes on the dot she sends a small update to the CO's console. with data to show the slow but certain clearing of sections of the ship of spores.::



ACTION: XO gets the image of a lone spore, landing on the grass and disintegrating as time passes.



<CTO_Lt_Sumner>

::sniffs lightly, moving to sit on the bunk:: TAC: How's it goin', Guye?



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

~Para-mac: You'll die without the host? And the host will die without allowing the process to complete?



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

::Curses to herself quietly::



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<TAC_Guye>

CTO: Fairly well, sir. Marian had her baby last week, I'm hoping to get some leave to head back home.



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::taps at his console and checks the results as he waits for more information from Main Engineering::



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

::Heads to a console, and starts to initiate the transport of para-mac to the surface, maintaining a lock on her at all times:: ~Para-mac: I'm sending you back home, if you send Mac back to us



<GM_Aoibhe>

<ENG_Lt_Mac>

::shudders in that way that probably means "yes"::



<CTO_Lt_Sumner>

::nods some, closing his eyes:: TAC: Once we get all this sorted, I'm sure there'll be leave for everyone. Some more than others, perhaps.



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<TAC_Guye>

::can't help but smile a little:: CTO: Maybe so, sir.



ACTION: ENG_Lt_Mac disappears in a shimmer of blue



<CTO_Lt_Sumner>

::swallows softly, tasking blood:: TAC: Do me a favor?



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<TAC_Guye>

::nods:: CTO: Of course, sir.



<CTO_Lt_Sumner>

TAC: Don't let Benson get fat again. He starts putting on the pounds, you give him hell for it.



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<TAC_Guye>

::grins slightly:: CTO: I'll try, can't promise anything. You know how he likes to eat dessert first some days.



ACTION: The remaining Engineers start, one by one, to shudder and shake, the same light fuzz that originally appeared on Mac making an appearance on their skin, too.



<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::convulses on the deck::



<OPS_Ens_Mor>

CO: Sir, im reading an unauthorised transport from the ship!....It appears that the XO has beamed something from Main Engineering to the planet's surface



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::stands up and hits his comm badge:: *XO*: What the hell is going on down there, Commander?



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

*CO*: What needed to be done to allow the engineer crew to survive. The parasitic infection is too far gone for our bacterial treatment to work without killing the crewman. I trust in what I shared with the parasite. I beamed Mac, the most infected, to the surface, and I'm monitoring her life-signs and keeping a lock on her



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::grits his teeth hard, now realising he was right in that the Hooke crew were a punishment for him:: *XO*: You didn't even send a medical team down with her? If you haven't killed her, Commander Jameson, I would like a word with you in private.



<OPS_Ens_Mor>

Bridge: Comms coming in from the surface CO: Captain should I patch it through?



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::nods to OPS:: OPS: Put it through, on speakers.



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

*CO*: The feeling is mutual Captain



ACTION: A gruff-sounding but familiar voice comes through over the bridge speakers.



<GM_Aoibhe>

<ENG_Lt_Mac>

*ALL*: What the where? ::clears throat, sounds no better afterwards:: *ALL*: Lt. Mackenzie to Bremen...



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::mutters quietly:: *ENG*: Lieutenant Mackenzie, we're beaming a medical team down to your position.



<SCI_Ens_shHruvek>

::breathes a slow sigh at Mac's voice. paired with all the positive data she's got to work with, everything seems to slowly be righting itself...::



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::nods to OPS, signifying that he should do that::



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

*CO* MacKenzie's vitals are more stable. I want to send the rest of the engineering crew to the planet's surface



<GM_Aoibhe>

<ENG_Lt_Mac>

*CO*: Where IS my position? What happened, sir...?



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

*XO*: We're sending a medical team first, Commander.



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

*ENG*: You're on the moon's surface. It's a long story, wait for the medical team and they can fill you in.



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

*CO* Then you better send them quick, Adalberto isn't looking to healthy



ACTION: CEO's nose drops off



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

::Curses to herself, and gingerly picks up the nose, and places it on top of the body, so that it'll be beamed down with him to the surface::



ACTION: Medical team are beamed down to the surface and find Mac, looking pretty damn ragged, but essentially OK.



<GM_Aoibhe>

@<MED_Loolie>

*Bridge*: Loolie to Bremen... We have Lt. Mackenzie. She's recovering, sir.



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

::Taps her fingers inside her suit, impatient to hear when the rest of ME can be transported down::



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

*MED*: Any sign of the parasite, or the fungal infection?



<GM_Aoibhe>

@<MED_Loolie>

*CO*: Well, it's all over her, sir, but it's starting to die back as we watch. It's medically fascinating, but frankly, I think I'll skip lunch after this...



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

*MED*: It could be a good idea. Beam her up into containment in Sickbay, then begin monitoring the rest of the engineering team as they arrive down.



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

*XO*: Commander Jameson, wait for confirmation from the Medical team on the surface, then begin transporting the other crew.



<GM_Aoibhe>

@<MED_Loolie>

*CO*: Yessir... Loolie out.



ACTION: Mac is beamed up to Sickbay where she is washed, buffed and sterilised.



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

*Med* Tell me good news. I have my finger ready on the button to transport the rest down. Adalberto is a little....in pieces



<GM_Aoibhe>

@<MED_Loolie>

*XO*: It's safe to beam them down, sir.



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

::Presses the button immediately::



ACTION: The rest of the Engineering team, including CEO and his wayward nose, are beamed to the balmy surface of Skellig.



<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::sits back down in his seat, quietly thinking of all the upcoming talks he's going to have with his crew. And ex-crew::



<XO_Cmdr_Jameson>

::Gives a sigh of relief, not worried about her meeting with Griffiths, as she trusted in her own judgement::



<GM_Aoibhe>

<<<End Mission>>>



© 2013-2014 Star Trek: Engage All Rights Reserved - All transcripts are property of Star Trek: Engage