U.S.S. Sentinel - 11409.08, Mission #12

"Grey Area"


Summary, Mission #13

 

The U.S.S. Sentinel continues on her voyage to the outer reaches of explored space, her engines humming beautifully and her crew taking the quiet moments when they can, settling into their assigned routines and duties now that everything seems to be going right for once.

 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Begin Mission >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Sits on the bridge in her chair, watching over the travels::

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::finishes his routine diagnostics on the helm, looking over his console::

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::steps onto the Bridge, his arms buried deep into his white coat and stands by the Turbolift, taking in his new surroundings::

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

::glances over at CMO, then to NAV--and clears his throat::

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Rushes out of his quarters, padds in both hands and a piece of toast hanging out of his mouth.  Pads towards the TL, munching and musing over his padds.::

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::glances over at the OPS:: OPS: I’m not looking, Lieutenant. I can feel it, but I’m not looking.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::grunts and moves over to OPS:: OPS: I need furniture, and clothes. Not replicated, there must be a tailor onboard.

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

::in a low voice:: NAV: You two should really make up if you are going to work on the same ship.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Steps into the TL, humming to himself as he finshes his toast, absent mindedly licking the jam off his whiskers as he reads his padds.::

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

CMO: ...I'll see what I can do, sir, but you might have to settle for replicated.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

OPS: Tailored.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

OPS: And where do you get real liquor on this ship?

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Looks up as the TL sits, waiting for a command.:: TL: Oh...um, yes.  Bridge.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::sighs:: XO: Steady on course, XO. Two months, four days, eight hours to Starbase.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

NAV: Thank you, Marsland. Continue to give me updates on our progress.

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

::in through the nose, out through the mouth...:: CMO: We have plenty of synthehol, sir.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

OPS: Real liquor.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

CMO: That would be a no, Commander.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

XO: Very well, Commander. Two months, four days, seven hours, and fifty-nine minutes to Starbase. ::chuckles::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Smiles lightly::

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::thrusts his hands into his pockets and walks past the XO:: XO: What I do on my own time, -sir-, is up to me.

 

ACTION: The XO's console lights up with the latest departmental reports, including two minor grievances about York's dour attitude from some of the Sickbay staff.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Brushes a few crumbs off his uniform as the doors open to the bridge.:: CO: Good afternoon captain, Lt. Commander Marsland.  ::pads to his station, still humming to himself and plops down into his chair at Science, tapping away checking the ususal scans and diagnostics.::

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::looks up at H'ret:: Self: What am I, chopped liver?

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::blinks, and looks back at the XO:: XO: I think you just got a promotion… ::thumbs at York:: XO: Or he did. ::grimaces::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

CMO: Certainly. Never suggested otherwise. We don't have any real liquer here. ::looks at her console and sighs:: May I speak with you. In private?

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

XO: You may.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Nods and walks to the Ready Room::

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Looks up, blinking.:: CMO: Forgive me commander, I assumed you were in a heated discussion and didn't wish to interrupt.  Apologies.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Sticks her head out:: NAV: You have the con.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

CMO: Maybe you were right, kitty. ::follows the XO::

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Smiles a fanged grin and resumes his scans::

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::nods, rising and stepping back to take a seat in The Big Chair(tm), motioning for Ensign Taylor to take his spot, admiring the view as she does::

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

::turns to H'ret:: CSO/NAV: All right, I'll bite: has he always been like that?

 

<GM_James>

<aNAV_Ens_Taylor>

::sways delightfully towards the conn, taking the seat and bringing up her configuration::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Waits until the doors close behind the two of them before turning to look at the CMO:: CMO: I'm going to be blunt here, since it's something you seem to favor in your interactions here on board. Do you not like your posting as the CMO aboard the Sentinel?

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

XO: Nope.

 

ACTION: Baudin's console lights up with a message.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

OPS: Yes, Lieutenant, he has.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Nods:: CMO: I see. You do have experience in this field, yes? You've held this postition on other ships?

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::looks over at her sofa and sits down::

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

::turns back to his console to check on the message:: NAV: Respectfully, he does not seem very fit for the job.

 

ACTION: A comm channel opens, audio only.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Glances up at the closed doors, knowing full well the fresh hell being unleased.:: NAV: This should be quite dramatic...yes, quite.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

XO: Commander, I have years of experience in the Scientific field, including Medicine. I've served as Chief Medical Officer on other vessels, run the diagnostic unit at Starfleet Medical and served as head of the Trill symbiosis committee. I only liked one of those postings, but I still did a pretty damn good job.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

OPS: Give him a few days and a few drinks, Lieutenant.  He’ll do fine. He’s a good officer, from a technical “do your job” standpoint.  Just a crappy person sometimes.  Anyways, you want to answer that?

 

<Susie>

*OPS*: :;sniffles, choking out the words: M-m-mm-mm...my k-k-kitty's gone! m-missster-er-er-er Whiskers! ::wails::

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::points at the Lieutenant’s console::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

CMO: I'm delighted to hear it. I can honestly say that with our posting and assignment way out in the deep reaches of space, we could certainly use your help. However, if you don't want to stay, I cannot prevent you from requesting a transfer. We can transfer you off if that is what you wish. I do hope to have you stay however.

 

ACTION: The CSO's console lights up a few moments later, with a subspace data packet waiting in the buffer.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

Looks up, his ear's facing forward.:: All: Oh my.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

XO: Commander....we are in the farthest reaches of Federation territory, where -exactly- would I transfer to ?

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

::blinks, shuffles off that message to--er. a security cadet. there, that'll work. go rescue a cat from a holographic tree.::

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Looks down at the data packet and blinks, then places into a secure buffer and opens it.:;  Nav: I've recieved a data transmission of some kind, opening it in a secure buffer.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

XO: I will do my job until I can get offloaded somewhere that will take me to Earth.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

CSO: Place it onscreen, Lieutenant.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

CMO: That will be sufficient. When we reach the starbase in a few months time we can rediscuss this. However, the biggest complaint I've had is your treatment of the other crewmen on this ship, and that I cannot stand. Do you have an explanation for this? If you are going to stay and do your job, you're going to have to cooperate with the crew.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

ALL: I believe my former crewmate regarded the Doctor like a fungus.  She said after a while he "grows" on you.  I assume she ment this in a positive way....

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

aNAV: Ensign Taylor, increase speed to Warp 8.8, give me a new ETA on our arrival… ::smiles::

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

XO: If anyone has a problem with me, they can come to me, and then I can send them to you. However since I have not heard any complaints, I can hardly comment.

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

CSO: After three weeks, the only thing he's growing on seems to be everyone's nerves.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

NAV: No need sir, its just data from the Visage on their investigation of the arachnids and the wreckage of the site.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::thinks that he needs to find an awkward little Medic to handle personnel for him::

 

<aTAC_Cdt_B'ola>

*OPS*: Sir, this is Cadet B'ola. I'm with Susie Cartwright, it looks like there's a malfunction with her door and the cat escaped. Can you get me an internal sensor sweep please?

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

OPS: Yes, well, my experiance with Doctor York is hardly extensive, but he did seem to have many issues with authority, or at least what he felt were unecessary interactons with crew and the command structure.  His skill as a Doctor seems to have been incentive enough to tolerate at lease some level of his ecentricity.

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

::rolls his eyes heavenward:: *aTAC*: Certainly. We haven't much else to do right now anyway. ::if there was wood anywhere, he would knock on it::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Nods:: CMO: As a medical officer, I'm sure you can tell how your staff is feeling about who's in charge. I know that you were thrown into this without warning and I can sympathize with you on this. However, just try and tone down your frustrations. It might make the next few months a bit more smooth for everyone.

 

<aNAV_Ens_Taylor>

::makes the necessary adjustments with a slight smirk:: NAV: Course laid in, new speed set, and the ETA is...One month, thirteen days, one hour, twenty five minutes.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

XO: They've been without a Chief for a few months is what I hear. They will get used to me in due time.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

aNAV: Fantastic! ::turns to Science:: CSO: Well, file it away in the data base. ::looks back out the viewscreen:: CSO: We need something to do. Any spatial anomalies or anything out there?

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

CMO: I certainly hope so. I know you are going to be very valuable here. Just keep in mind what we've talked about. ::Sighs:: I just don't want to hear constant complaints about your attitude. Dismissed.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::thinks that perhaps she should turn off her commbadge then:: XO: Yes sir.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::pushes himself off of the sofa and heads back to the Bridge::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Walks back to the bridge and to her chair:: NAV: Anything happen while I was away?

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

:Smiles his toothy fanged grin again and shakes his head.:: NAV: Sadly no, but I'm sure there will be ample distractions between here and our destination.  We could always put all hands to the task of our missing kitten.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::eyes the cute girl at the conn as he walks over to Science 2 and sits down:: CSO: She's nothing like Suder.

 

<aNAV_Ens_Taylor>

NAV: I'm not picking up anything interesting on navigational sensors, sir, but there are a heavy whack of subspace eddies ahead of us. ETA in twelve minutes, but we should probably go around.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::doesn’t get up:: XO: I increased speed to warp 8.8. New ETA is about a month and a half.  We received data from the Visage on their investigation. It’s in the files.  You want the CONN back?

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Blinks again. cocking his head slightly.:: CMO: Commander Keshir Sudder?

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Raises an eyebrow:: NAV: I'm not coaching you on command tactics, so yes I'd like the conn back. ::Smiles lightly::

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

CSO: Are you deaf?

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

*aTAC*: One feline detected. Hanging about near the lift, better go nab it before it decides to take a trip to another deck. I'll send someone to repair the door. ""nope not making any comments about CSO, nope, going to resist it::

 

<aTAC_Cdt_B'ola>

*OPS*: Thanks, sirs! ::kneels down and grins at little Susie:: He found Mister Whiskers, let's go get him! ::scarpers off with the girl in tow::

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

ALL: Yes, I'd hate to think of something happenig to a possible distance relation.  :Smirks>::

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::smiles and rises:: XO: Perhaps another time then, Commander.  Perhaps another time. I’m going to give Ensign Taylor here a bit of practice though, and head down to Astrometrics, if that’s alright with you.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

Self: Sure he is. ::looks over at the command circle with a grin::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Nods:: NAV: Alright, but stand ready to come back here. If something happens I'm going to need you at the helm.

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

<aNAV_Ens_Taylor>: ::blushes ever so slightly at the mention of her name:: XO: Subspace eddies ahead in 10 minutes, Commander.  Diverting course to avoid.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::nods:: XO: Sure thing, Commander. Have a nice watch. ::heads for the turbolift::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

aNAV: Very good, Ensign.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::resumes his duties. :: CMO: So are you extending your stay with us perminantly?  I'm sure an experianced physician would be quite the boon with such a remote posting.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

NAV: Remember to use the internal dampeners!

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::Taps his commbadge:: *Astrometrics*: Navigator here. Try and clean up the signal. ::Calls out as the TL doors shut:: CMO: Inertial, you dimwit. ::the doors shut::

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::swivels his chair to face H'ret:: Self: I'm a Doctor, not an Engineer.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::shrugs::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Places her head in her hand and shakes her head::

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

CSO: Atleast until I can get a ride back home....I have unfinished business there.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Glances over at the CMO, then smiles as he rememebers a few details from their past posting.:: CMO: How is your family Commander?  I just remembered you had a mate and children.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::the doors reopen, and Marsland strides back onto the bridge to science 2:: CMO: Move. I need this console. ::logs in and starts looking over the signal:: XO: We may have a possible communique, Astrometrics just picked it up, Commander.  It’s hard to tell though, it’s been bounced around from these eddies.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::growls::

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::vacates the seat:: NAV: Use your own!

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Frowns:: NAV: Alright, try to clear it up.

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

NAV: I'll see what I can do with it. ::his console is probably better suited for it anyway::

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

::and if it gets NAV away from CMO, all the better.::

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::tries to clear up the possible message some more:: OPS: See what you can do.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Straightens up, at the sudden shift in the CMO's demeanor and the NAV's intrusion.:: All: Oh my

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::points his finger at H'ret, then at Tom, then back at H'ret::

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::frowns, completely ignoring York:: OPS/XO: I don’t appear to be having much luck here. Do you?

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

NAV: Damned eddies, mucking it up. It's all over the place. ::not going to give up so easily, of course:: NAV: Just give me a minute.  Two minutes.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Turns back to his console and tries to assist Baudin.::  OPS: I'll attempt to filter any spacial interferance, that should free you up to work on increasing the signal and adjust the reception gain.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::sticks his hands back into his robe and walks off towards the command circle::

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

CSO: Good...that's working, thanks. XO: Putting what I've got on speaker. It is not clean, but it's something.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Nods:: OPS: Thank you. ::Listens::

 

ACTION: The speakers crackle to life, the audio shredded but almost understandable. A voice sounds out, feminine but with a hard edge; "Th-......Shan A'ran.....dist-.....went down----t------Ch-...eonis system-.......requ-.....immediate-...." The messages repeats.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

CSO: Can you find a system matching what we got out of the message?

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::straightens up:: OPS: Can you clear that up?

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Already scanning through the known systems looking for a match.::  XO: Searching now.

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

CMO: I promise I have not stopped trying to clear it up, sir.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

OPS: Less promises, more...::looks over at the XO::

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

OPS: Keep up the good work.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Looks over at the CMO and nods with a slight smile on her face::

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::sighs::

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::does the same search via the Astrometrics database:: XO: It’s the Chi Leonis system, XO. About 10 minutes away at maximum warp. ::relieves Ensign Taylor with a brush of his hand on her shoulder:: aNAV: Good work Ensign. See what you can find out on this system. Give me a full report in fifteen minutes.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::lays in the new course as he watches Taylor sway towards the turbolift:: XO: Next time, ask the guy with the big Astrometrics lab, alright? ::smiles::

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

Self: Such a douche...

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Shrugs:: NAV: I thought my crew worked together on problems, not horded them. ::Smiles:: Alter course for the Chi Leonis system.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::Taps his commbadge:: *Sickbay*: Sickbay, prepare for casualties and get my away kit ready.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Looks back at the doctor and smiles weakly, trying to display his good intention and motions ot the seat next to him.::

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::just points angrily at H'ret:: CSO: Bad kitty.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::frowns, but punches the new heading in and engages:: XO: We do, Commander, but if I hadn’t overheard you through trying to clean up that message we still wouldn’t know where to go, would we?

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Sits up slightly, a look of slight indignation.:: Self: Kitty?  Well then!

 

ACTION: The Sentinel turns gracefully at high warp, from the outside looking like such a simple maneuver, while inside power is diverted and interial dampeners wax and wane to keep everyone feeling like nothing is happening.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::resumes his scans, completely ignoring the CMO.::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

NAV: Yes, yes. Keep trying to clear up that message. I want to know more about what we're rushing into.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

XO: Sickbay is standing by.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

All: Yellow Alert. ::Presses the button on her console.::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

CMO: Good work.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::blinks:: Self: That’s a bit early…. ::snaps himself out of it:: XO: Aye, Commander. 6 minutes to the system.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Starts scanning the system for any signs as to the situation.::

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

XO: The message just keeps repeating, but it's clearing up now. I'm getting a lock on the fourth planet. ::puts on what's been cleaned::

 

ACTION: The audio comes through clearly over the speakers. "This is Shan A'ran, calling out a general distress. My ship went down in the Chi Leonis system. I require immediate assistance-!"

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::Sets course more specifically for the fourth planet::

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

XO: I should be on the away team, he might require medical assistance.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Nods:: OPS: Can we get a location on the origin point of the distress call?

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

CMO: I fully intended to bring you along, Commander. Let me do my job.

 

<CMO_Cmdr_York>

::sighs and walks to the back of the Bridge::

 

ACTION: The Sentinel drops out of warp, moving at full impulse towards an orbit around the fourth planet, a musky grey-green world, with little water.

 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Pause Mission >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


© 2013-2014 Star Trek: Engage All Rights Reserved - All transcripts are property of Star Trek: Engage