U.S.S. Atlantis - 11408.20, Mission #1013

"Azure-Te"


 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

BEGIN SIM

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

BEGIN SIM

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

BEGIN SIM

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

:: ascending in the crush can, her cramped passenger wedged where the H3 tank once was ::

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

:: is running high resolution scans of the remaining balloons ::

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

:: can't help but monitor sensors with a background in Science ::

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

:: looks over to T'Kirr, sensing her apprehension ::

 

<CMO_Lt_Tav>

:: moves from Biobed to Biobed, making sure the tricorders and other equipment are in order for any patients that may be on their way from Telthis who will need medical attention. Further, he has taken over Holodeck 3 and raised the pressure to 1.8 atmospheres to be a waiting room for those with air pressure decompression issues ::

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Can sense the growing tension among members of the crew, trys to focus on the removing the H3 unit from one of the Crush Cans::

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

:: Biting the inside of his lip lightly in concentration, Quinn presses the last plate against the empty spot in the hodgepodge hull until he hears the click he's been waiting for.  Hopping away, he starts running scans..:: Assembled right, atmo seal is good, life support system is up and running.  Okay.  Won't be comfy, but at least there's a seat belt.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

XO:  Commander, I'd like your opinion on something.

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

Shuttlebay: Okay, everyone stand clear while the computer runs its 20g test.  This is the last one!  Good work, everyone.

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

(Oh, sorry, scratch that.  Missed Ilaihr's post.)

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

CSO: :: turns to look at Wright :: Yes, Lieutenant?

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Steps back from the Crush Can:: CEO: Ready Lieutenant.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

Back down - or, up, really - to 10 bar of pressure.

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

::Nods:: Okay, beginning with 5 Gs.  Looks good.  10...20Gs.  No signs of hull stress, real or projected, beyond the acceptable range.  Looks like the whole fleet's all set.  Unless the Telthis management wants us to undo all this afterward, of course.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

XO:  Take a look at the high res scan data of the balloons I'm sending to your console.  With this information, I think it might be possible for us to replicate something similar.  The problems I see, however, lie in attaching the balloon to Telthis.  Even partially inflated, we should be able to get it down there and it will increase the bouyancy, but I don't see how to attach it without EVA, which would is not possible.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

CEO: Sir, do you have any word of how raising the station is going?

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

*Atlantis* Atlantis, Firefly. We have you on visual and are requesting docking clearance.

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

ENG: Last I heard, they were trying some kind of retrofit of their circuitry.  Sharp idea by Science, using the deflector dish like that.  But the bridge between theoretically possible and the actual design is an engineer.

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

CSO: :: looks back to her console, accepts it, and looks it over ::

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

ENG: Anyway, it's about to get crowded in here again, I bet,  Now, are you familiar with the operation of our current model worker bees?

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

*Firefly*  Firefly, you are third in line to dock.  Once the traffic in front of you finishes, you are clear to dock.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

CEO: That seems like a reasonable idea. I'd be lying if I said I didnt have a few ideas to help raise it, that I've been fumbling with. I'm unsure if they'd work however.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

*Wright* Roger that.

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

CSO: :: Once Harper's transmission ends :: Replication would be likely, but as you say, attaching it would be an issue. I don't believe we have any equipment that can withstand that pressure.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

CEO: Well sir, I've never been asked to fly one to be honest. I'm not sure of the exact workings; but I'm sure 5 minutes with one of the girls, and i'll be sorted. I've never been one to walk away from the unknown.

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

CSO: :: looks back up to Wright :: Perhaps it can be run by Engineering.

 

ACTION: Crush cans start to file into the shuttlebay.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

XO:  I was just thinking that myself.  Thank you, Commander.

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

ENG: ::Half smiles:: Well, if they can pull off the subspace weight loss trick, my hope is that between all the crush cans, they'll have enough oomph to haul it up.  But no idea of yours is going to do any good if you don't share it.  

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

*CEO* Wright to Quinn.

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

:: nods and checks on the docking vessels ::

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

:: waits her turn and guides the crush can into the shuttlebay ::

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

^CSO* Quinn here.  Go ahead.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

*CEO*  I have an idea that revolves around replicating replacement balloons for Telthis, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get them attached.  Do you have any ideas?

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

McKnight>

::As if he'd been awaiting the cue, re-enters the shuttlebay, again bringing a squad of black clad helmeted marines in his wake, who fan out to cover the landing area.::

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

:: sets down with a thunk, the can not being that graceful ::

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

*Quinn* Uh...well, to be honest, I'd need to look over some schematics again before I gave you anything solid on that.  My understanding was that they came away in the first place because the mooring clamps were destroyed by the explosives.

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

*CSO* But if it were me, I'd have designed some redundancy in there.  Give me a few minutes?

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

:: opens the door with a whoooosh ::

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

CEO: Well Sir, the station is in the fluid environment of an atmosphere, as one of the grade school principles of science is that heat rises. We've been trying to find a way to haul the sheer mass of the station. If we were to focus a intensive beam into the atmosphere beneath the station, perhaps the heat driven convection currents could be used to lift the station to a higher point in the atmosphere.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

*CEO*  Sure.  I have hi-res scans of the remaining balloons, if that would be helpful for you.  I'm sending them to your PADD.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

:: emerges from the can, blinking a bit at the bright light, and helps her passenger out ::

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

McKnight>

::Greets Harper as she steps off.:: Welcome back.  Either of you need the doctor?

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

McKnight: Thank you, Colonel. I believe that we are both healthy.

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

McKnight>

::Nods and does a quick tricorder scan, as he's been doing of every recent new arrival.  He does a subdued double take, however, as his tricorder gives an extra few chirps. ::  Good.  But in that case, I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind coming down with us to the security office to answer a few questions.

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

McKnight: Me, Colonel?

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

McKnight>

Hmm?  No, sorry.  Not unless you have any insights you think would be helpful.  I mean your passenger.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

McKnight: Ah, I see. I must get back down there.

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

McKnight>

::Nods to two marines, who take custody of the new arrival, and wait until he's been taken off a ways before tapping his comm badge.:: *Blackthorne* Security to bridge.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

*McKnight* Blackthorne here, go ahead Colonel.

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

:: listens to McKnight ::

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

:: Brings up Wright's gift with a 3D holographic display.  He hates looking at those on a 2D screen almost as much as he hates squinting at those atom sized tricorder displays. :: ENG: Interesting.  We may be able to direct something down there.  Control seems like it'd be an issue, of course.

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

*Blackthorne* Thought you'd like to know we've been scanning evacuees as they've been coming in.  The one Harper brought back tested positive for trace chemical signatures inconsistent with typical exposure on the station.  It's a match for the incendiary devices.

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

:: quirks an eyebrow ::

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

*McKnight* Understood. Detain him and confirm, then we'll see how our guests wish to handle this.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

:: pauses to listen to the Colonel :: Figures I would get that one.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

CEO: Indeed sir. It may be wise to have everyone off the station as we initiate it. We could combine the two ideas, to double up the efficiency. Since either one of them has the possibility of not working. The subspace bubble to lower its mass, and the convection current to raise it higher up, before we snag it in a tractor beam.

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

NAV: Look on the bright side.  If you hadn't been driving such a piss poor getaway vehicle, he might have tried hijacking it.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::giggles a little and pats the Crush Can:: Can: Your not piss poor are you, you're hardy.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

CEO: That... is an excellent point, Lieutenant.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

ENG: Hardy will not escape the star system, in this case.

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

*Blackthorne* We have him in custody.  My plan is to let him sweat a little, then conduct questioning after we've cleared everyone else.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

*McKnight* Understood. Keep me updated, naturally. Blackthorne out.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

NAV: No, but as a trader and occasional smuggler, depending on the system and circumstances; leaving the system immeditely is not always the best course of action.

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

ENG: Yeesh.  Alright, tell ya what, Ensign.  Making it work will take some...work, but it's a good idea all the same, and I'm not going to take credit for it.  Why don't you head on up to the bridge console, and coordinate with Wright.  I'm sure she'll be interested to hear this.  

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

ENG: Perhaps not. Regardless, it would not go anywhere fast.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

:: crawls back into the crush can and checks its systems for another flight ::

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

ENG: Not the smuggler part.  But the rest of it is something Science would have some insight into.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Smiles with intense delight:: CEO: Thank you sir. I've been hoping to get a look at the bridge, to breathe in the smell of the command atmosphere. It'll be my honour sir, I'll make my way now. NAV: And good look down there commander.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

ENG: ::yells out from the can :: Thank you!

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Nods and lightly jogs out of the shuttlebay towards the turbolift::

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

NAV: I'd wish you the same, Commander, but I put my spanner to work instead.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

CEO: As I would prefer it, over luck.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Enters the turbolift:: Computer: Computer my dear, deck 1 the bridge. ::As the turbolift goes up, Ilaihr cant help but think; the lift could use some ambient music::

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

:: With that, he takes his moment of relative calm and quiet, and ponders the schematics Wright sent him, alongside the station specs. ::

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

I think this truck is ready to go... :: contacts the other crush can pilots and checks their status ::

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

*CSO* Quinn to Wright.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

*CEO*  Wright here.

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

*CSO* Hey.  I sent one of the new guys up there to give you a hand.  He's...chatty, but good.  In fact, he has an interesting idea to run by you, as a supplement to your PLan A for raising the station.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

*CEO* I'm all for ideas, chatty or otherwise.

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

*CSO* As for the balloon thing...are you familiar with those old magnetic grapplers?  The old NX Class used them.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

Looks good, stand by everyone.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

*CEO*  Not intimately, but I get the gist.  You think we could use those?

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

*Bridge* Firefly to bridge, crush can flotilla requesting departure clearance.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Turbolift stops and opens up on the bridge, Ilaihr steps out, and takes in the ambience for a short second before looking around:: ALL: I'm looking for Lieutenant Wrig... ::Before he finishes he realises where to find her, and walks over to her:: NAV: You must be Lieutenant Wright ::Holds his hand out to shake::

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

*NAV*  You are clear to depart, fly safely out there.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

<CSO>

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

:: overhears the call, pleased to hear the next wave departing ::

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

:: perks up at the grappler idea over Wright's comm, an eyebrow naturally climbing at the thought ::

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

*CSO* I need to put together a proper mockup, and the balloons might need to be scaled down, but...and, you're busy.  I'll throw something together while you tw get acquainted, and get back to you.  Quinn out.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

*CSO* Roger that, thank you.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

:: to the pilots :: We are clear to launch.

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

:: notes the engineer on the Bridge ::

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

:: seals the hatch and lifts the truck off the shuttlebay floor, then heads out the door and dowwwwwwwwwwn ::

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

:: has so many people talking to her at once that she's not sure what's what ::

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

XO: Did he say grappling claws?

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Cups the Lieutenant's hand and shakes it voraciously whilst smiling:: CSO: It is very agreeable to meet you ma'am.

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

CO: Essentially.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

:: confused as her hand is grabbed seeming out of nowhere and shaken vigorously ::  ENG:  Ah!  Er.  Hello.  :: returns the handshake ::

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

:: watches the greeting and waits to hear what the engineer has to say ::

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

XO: That has potential.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

:: has the profound pleasure of watching the pressure gauge - an analog dial! - rise once more ::

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

10 bar.... 15.... 20....

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

CO: We don't have a grappler, though.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

CSO: I have been sent up with an idea I had. I cant remember why I had it. But my idea goes that we can use the deflector dish, focus it at an area beneath the station, and heat it up. We can use the convection current and the fact that heat rises, to do a lot of the heavy lifting for us, raising the station up. If used in conjunction with the subspace bubble, it could decrease the load for any one approach.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

XO: Indeed. They were phased out with the tractor beam's introduction.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

CSO: With the decreased mass the station would have in a subspace bubble, the convection current would have less to force up. And at the very least the station should reach a higher altitude.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

Musing to herself:  Which would make it that much easier to attach the balloons.  ENG:  Yes, this is a good idea.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

CSO: Also, did I hear mention the idea of a grappler? They havent been used in, nearly 200 years

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

ENG:  I'll have to run some simulations to see how much of a bump we can expect from convection, but I think every little bit will help.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

ENG:  A MAGNETIC grappler.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

:: gets down through the 30s, and the random steam pipe explodes again ::

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

CSO: I believe the NX class used those. Oh the days, I think I may have had one on board Betty.... Yes to supplement the faulty tractor beam I accquired from a Gorn.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

ENG:  Betty.

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

:: gets up from the XO seat and comes over to Science to help Wright calculate ::

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

:: tosses about by a storm, probably the same one ::

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Nostalgia crept into his eyes:: CSO: Oh Betty, she was my cargo ship of 80 years. Most antiquated vessel you ever did see.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

ENG:  I see...

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

45 bar...

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

CSO: But I still got her rated for warp 8, with an engine that shouldnt have exceeded warp 7.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

CSO: Or was it warp 6....

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

48... 49... There she is.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

CSO: And as for a magnetic grappler, they shouldn't be too hard to manufacture. Fairly primitive starship technology; but the old tech always did work well.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

*Telthis* Telthis, we are outside and ready for the second group.

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

:: With the work done for the moment in the shuttlebay, Quinn relinquishes it to the Marines, and makes his way to the turbolift.  The simulation he needs to run calls for an actual work station.:: Main Engineering.

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

Miraak>

*Harper* They're ready.  After this, it'll just be me and a tech staying behind to attempt the subspace bubble idea.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

*Miraak* Understood. We shall be back down for you soon.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

;: contacts the other cans to begin beamout of everyone in the bar area, 11 this time since they have more cans ::

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

:: nodding absently at Ilaihr while running numbers on the convection idea ::

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Leaves Wright and T'Kirr to run the numbers, as he strolls around looking at the bridge. Seeing the Admiral in the captains chair, he smiles::

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

:: Makes his way over to an auxiliary work station, a flat table upon which he long ago got Percy's permission to install a holographic projector.  He begins adeptyly tapping away, building a little presentation of the idea in his head, checking it against projected hull stresses on Telthis Station, as well as the ever present bloody math. ::

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

:: Has a bit of nostalgia himself, to those two semesters working at Jupiter Station. ::  I wonder how old Doc Zimmerman's doing these days.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Unsure of what to say, he finally pipes up to the captain:: CO: This, is a fine ship Admiral.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

:: beams a miner into her crush can, notes he's the one she and Lexy were drinking with earlier :: Welcome aboard!

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

ENG: :: looks up to find a new face, but recognizes it from the profile :: Ensign Ilaihr, welcome aboard.

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Smiles:: CO: It is a great honour to be here Sir.

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

:: works alongside Wright, falling into a familiar pattern with her ::

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

ENG: Make the most of it, Ensign. :: smiles ::

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

Miner whose name I need to look up afterward>

::Notes the busted pipe.::  I'll be damned.  Pretty sure this is mine.  I'd wondered what had become of it.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

It fell off the station when she sank and was tractored in by another pilot. When I asked you about flying them, this was not what I had in mind.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

:: starts the ascent :: *Atlantis* Atlantis, Firefly. We have the second group and are starting ascent.

 

<CEO_Lt_Quinn>

Miner>

I could take over if you like.  But it looks like you've got a feel for it.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

*NAV*  Roger that, Firefly.  See you soon.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

PAUSE SIM

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

CO: Oh I am. It is a fine and sturdy vessel. I havent had much time to settle in, learn everyone's names and speak personally with the ship. And I had hoped to speak to you as well.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

PAUSE SIM

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

PAUSE SIM

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

PAUSE SIM

 


© 2013-2014 Star Trek: Engage All Rights Reserved - All transcripts are property of Star Trek: Engage