U.S.S. Hyperion - 11408.11, Mission #16

"Rosetta"


SUMMARY: The 2nd away team has landed on the surface, but not uneventfully; a probe fired from one of the shuttles was destroyed by a mysterious beam of light emitted from the dampening field, followed by some kind of power drain. The shuttled managed to land safely, but another beam soon fired into the air, and enveloped the Hyperion, but to what end remains to be seen.

 

<<<Resume Mission>>>

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ :On the planet, in a tiny hut with the Bosh'tek::

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

::crosses his legs:: aOPS: Any change?

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::whistles quietly to himself in the dark, checking off his scans while visually checking the wreckage::

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@::continues scanning the area for Danann and Hill's signatures, switching to Infrared on Tricorder::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ ::goes to stand up with glee but remembers how small the hut is and stays in place;: Bosh'tek: Yes! Yes, I understand you. ::smiles:: Bosh'tek: Hi.

 

<aOPS_Fales>

CO: Negative, sir. We're being scanned, but it seems harmless for the moment. They're starting from the hull and working their way in.

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@::Stands atop the shuttle, switching between zooming with his eye and with his rifle's scope, visually scanning the area around the landing zone::

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

aOPS: Keep shields down, let them look......but encrypt the main computer.

 

<Boshtek>

@::gives an approximation of a smile:: XO: Greet, stranger. You arrive from Stars. ::it's unclear if that's a question or a statement::

 

SCENE: The area around the landing zones are quiet for now. The wreckage remains inert, though its effect on the surrounding area is curious; plants seem to have melded somewhat with the machinery, and while there are no nanoprobes, it certainly seems like some form of integration took place.

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

::opens up a commline:: *CEO*: Rome to Foxworthy, we are being scanned up here. So far it's barely tickling.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@Bosh'tek: You live on the ground. ::pauses, thinks:: Bosh'tek: I am happy to meet you. We didn't expect to find anyone living in this place. ::chosing her words carefully:: Bosh'tek: I want to learn about you and your people, but first, I must send a signal to my people to let them know we are safe.

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@::Lowers rifle to talk to Leftenant Feyna, only to notice she isn't there:: Self: Oh what the hell, where did she bugger off too?

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::hits his comm badge:: *CO*: The same thing happened to us right before that beam came out of nowhere, my deflector modifications didn't have any effect either it just cut right through. I would suggest moving the Hyperion to the other side of the planet, you can keep in contact and use a probe for visual confirmation of us, but you'll be out of LoS for their weapon - whatever it is.

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@TAC: I thought I was supposed to follow her...she's gone?

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

*CEO*: If we register a power drain we will move out of range, but for now it seems benign.

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@::Checks tricorder for any readings, but still isn't picking up any data. He catches a glimpse of a beam of light in the distance::

 

<Boshtek>

@::makes an odd movement with her head:: XO: Will let contact, but condition first. Cannot tell we here.

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::frowns slightly:: *CO*: Like I said sir, we had the same thing happen to the shuttles right before firing. I stand by my recommendations, you lose nothing by moving to an opposite orbit.

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

*CEO*: Your concerns are noted, Commander.

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@CEO Sir, I'm detecting a few heat signatures near the outside of the dampening field, but there don't seem to be any spiders.. there's also a fainter reading deeper in.

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@MED: I wouldn't worry about her too much Doc. I've learned that she's a tough cookie. We should move to check out that light over there.

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::mutters darkly:: *CO*: Aye, sir. Just make sure my Engineering team survive the crash so we can put her back together for you. Foxworthy out.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@::sits up straight:: Bosh'tek: If that is what you wish. ::looks disappointed:: Bosh'tek: Your people saved me and my friend from those creatures. I know my people would like to thank you.

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

::smiles:: aNAV: You heard the Chief, Ensign. In case of any power drain, move us to the opposite side of the planet.

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@TAC: Understood

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@MED: Are you armed doctor?

 

<Boshtek>

@::proceeds back over towards the box:: XO: Will explain. ::she searches for something else, eventually producing a device:: What use talk far?

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::finishes up his scans, then makes his way back to the two cadets, tapping out information on his Tricorder for the engineering team:: TAC/MED: Alright, Lieutenant Feyna is covering our backs, you two are with me - Cadet Douglas, how are your implants holding up near the field?

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@::looks around at the jungle, and the darkening sky:: @TAC: Yes, I've got a tactical belt, phaser,and knife

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ Bosh'tek: er... ::has to think about that one. Points to comm badge, pulls it off her tattered uniform::

 

<Boshtek>

@::hobbles over and gently takes the badge, aiming the device at it and activating if a few times; after a series of beeps, she hands it back:: XO: Can talk now.

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@CEO: The energy field I was told to set my tricorder to emit looks to be keeping my implants stable sir. If anything happens again, there should be some tools in the Doc's kit, that can turn them off.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ ::looks relieved. Taps the comm badge:: *Hyperion*: Danann to the Hyperion, come in.

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@CEO: Yes sir, following you. ::shoulders her Medkit, continues scanning with Tricorder::

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@MED: Good good. If you need another, I have plenty.

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

::sits up straight::*XO*: Commander, am I glad to hear your voice. Report.

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@TAC: Thanks, I'll let you know

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::nods, turning to Rousseau:: MED: Alright, Cadet. Tell me where to go, I'll take point, Douglas here can have the honour of rear guard. ::shouldering his engineering kit, he makes off towards the edge of the forest, shining his beacon to light the way::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ *CO*: It's good to be heard, sir. Hill and I are safe and well. We'll be making our way back to you soon, I hope. Douglas and Viltvogel split off from us, sir. Did they make it back?

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@CEO: It's towards the center of the field, Sir

 

<Boshtek>

@::goes about collecting a few old-looking scrolls from a nearby shelf::

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@::Follows the Commander and the Doctor, taking up the rear:: CEO: Are you sure you don't want me to take point Sir?

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@::Looks around for giant spiders::

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

*XO*: They did. Douglas has returned to the planet with a second away team to locate you.

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@MED: To the middle, then. ::draws his phaser with his free hand, looking back over his shoulder briefing to give Douglas a smile:: TAC: I think I can handle it. Besides, predators typically attack from behind, I'll be safe in front of you.

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@::moves gratefully towards the middle::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ ::arches an eyebrow:: *CO*: I'm glad to hear he's recovered. But there's no need to mount a rescue, sir. We are in no danger. Just encountered an area of signal loss.

 

@ACTION: As the away team nears and crosse2 the edge of the dampening field, the expected power loss takes place, but to a reduced effect. While tricorders are only barely usable, the torch still serves its purpose with occasional filckering.

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@::Smiles a little bit:: CEO: That very much depends on the predator sir. They could attack from above, below, or from the sides. Depends on their evolutionary path.

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

*XO*: Have you found the source of this dampening field then? ::looks down at his console:: Our sensors still show it to be in effect.

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::makes his way over uneven ground, memorising the last view on the tricorder before slipping it into his belt and using that hand solely for the beacon:: TAC: Better keep your eyes peeled then, right?

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@Self: That doesn't make me feel any better...

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ *CO*: Well, I won't lie to you sir... ::pauses for a long time, leaving the CO hanging:: *CO*: We'll return to the beam-down point as soon as we're able, Captain. I strongly advise against the Away Team remaining planetside.

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@::Starts shaking his head and clearing his eyes:: CEO: We just crossed the dampening field didn't we....

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

::furrows his brow:: *XO*: Danger?

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@TAC: A little while ago, yes.

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@::continues trying to use the Tricorder, taps it a little::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ *CO*: Captain, did you ever take Lt. Leeson's ethics exam?

<Boshtek>

@::lays out a scroll on her table, the document filled with pictographs::

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@CEO: That explains the fizzing sensation.

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

::smiles::

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@::scans TAC with the med. tricorder::

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@MED: Getting anything from the Tricorder, Cadet Rousseau? ::smiles slightly as his Starfleet Orienteering courses came back to him, quietly wondering if they'll end up needing to camp out here::

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

*XO*: Couldn't stand his accent. I shall inform the away team to return to the ship if you are certain?

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

::nods to aOPS::

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@CEO: nothing that's useful, Sir

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ *CO*: I am, sir. I'd hate to fail that exam in the field.

 

<Boshtek>

<aOPS_Fales>

::attempts to contact the away team::

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@::Smiles at Rousseau:: MED: I'll be fine Doc. This time last trip, I was on the floor in agony.

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

*XO*: Alright Commander, inform us of any changes. Hyperion out.

 

@ACTION: The AT's combadges hiss with static and a few voice-sounding bits, but nothing intelligible comes out.

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@TAC Yeah, I was in sickbay when you were brought in

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::blinks, tapping at his comm badge to get it to register::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@::breaths a sigh of relief. turns to Bosh'tek:: Bosh'tek: My people know we are safe. Thank you. ::looks at the scrolls with interest::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@*Comms*: This is Commander Foxworthy, come in.

 

<Boshtek>

@::smiles again:: XO: The story of my people.

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@::Clears his throat:: MED: Not my best moment, when I woke up.

 

<aOPS_Fales>

*AT*: ... -peat... -turn to... ite.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ Bosh'tek: It is beautiful. ::waits for the rendition she is sure is coming::

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

aOPS: Anything?

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@TAC: I've heard worse.. don't worry about it ::grins at him::

 

<Boshtek>

@::points to a picture of two tall humanoids:: XO: In the beginning, there were the Ancients, who sought refuge from the troubles of their world.

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::winces slightly, trying to hear the words:: *aOPS*: Repeat your message, it isn't clear. ::turns to Douglas:: TAC: Cadet, see if you can boost the gain on your tricorder's field.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ ::listens, wishing Hill could have fit in here, too::

 

<aOPS_Fales>

CO: Lt. Feyna acknowledged, but says the others are already within the dampening field. She wants to know if you want her to pursue.

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

aOPS: Tell her to return to her dropsite.

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@::Blushes a little at the doctor, he doesnt like his pride taking dents::  CEO:Aye sir, I'll give it a go.

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@::Fiddles with the tricorder, hoping to get a little more push out of the device::

 

<Boshtek>

@XO: They were a powerful people, whose technology was as magic. They could cross vast distances of the galaxy in mere moments.

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::watches Douglas for a moment, then repeats his hail::

 

<aOPS_Fales>

*AT*: -peat, return to land... site.

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ ::hopes her impressed expression is convincing:: Bosh'tek: I see...

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@::Looks at Foxworthy:: CEO: Sounds like troubles afoot and we need to leave?

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::sighs softly:: All: I guess that makes sense. ::turns around, glancing around carefully with his eyes open:: TAC/MED: Orders are to go back, we'll get in touch with the Hyperion and see what's up when we get there.

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::waves towards the direction they came in:: TAC: You're on point this time, Cadet.

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@:: breathes a small sigh of relief::

 

<Boshtek>

@XO: They created our world, and hid it from others, so that they may live in peace. They were happy, for a time. ::she moves to indicate a picture with shorter, stubbier people:: However, their days were numbered; not enough of them had escaped to continue on.

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

::hopes the messages was received as he continues to stare at the world below::

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@CEO: Understood, Commander

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@::nods at the commander, turns around to start walking the way they came:: ALL: I'm kinda glad, the fizzing in the back of my skull was getting really irritating.

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@::Takes the middle position::

 

ACTION: The scan finishes. With a flash, a projection appears on the bridge, tall and vaguely humanoid in shape, though there are few details.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ ::nods in understanding:: Bosh'tek: They grew weaker and sickly as each generation passed?

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

::flinches and snaps his fingers, alerting Security::

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@::..and starts following TAC::

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

Self: Damn holographic emitters everywhere on this ship

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::keeps his eyes open, making their way back out to the landing site::

 

<Boshtek>

@::smiles:: XO: Indeed. A time came where they could no longer persist. They decided to create new children, ones that would never need suffer like they had suffered.

 

<Projection>

All: Am I understood?

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

::clears his throat before waving Security to stand down:: Projection: I can understand you, yes.

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@::feels a slight breeze blow past, carrying the smells of the planet with it:: MED/CEO: Feels like hunting Targ.

 

<Projection>

CO: You are the leader of this vessel?

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ ::nods gently:: Bosh'tek: Your people? ::loves the complexity and differences in each culture's origin myths. Wonders how much truth is hidden in this tale::

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::stumbles slightly as he hits a dip in the ground, but recovers::

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

Projection: I am Captain Jonathan Rome, of the Starship Hyperion. Representing the United Federation of planets....I arrive here in peace and exploration.

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@::notices very large spider-webs in the trees::

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@::Stops to make sure Foxworthy is ok::

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::waves Douglas off with a scowl and keeps on walking:: TAC/MED: Almost there.

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@:: Hopes we're going in the right direction::

 

<Boshtek>

@XO: Yes. With their understanding of the ways of the universe, they created us, ensuring that we would thrive in the world they had made for us. They taught us, for a time, how to be, and how to think. Soon, though, they were no more. ::seems sorrowful at this part::

 

<Projection>

CO: Yet you posess directed energy weapons.

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@MED: I can almost smell your nervousness Doc.

 

@ACTION: The AT emerges from the energy field, all of their devices functioning normally again.

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@TAC: I'll be fine

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

Projection: Space is vast and dangerous. In our travels, we have come upon others who are not peaceful. We must protect all life. But as you have undoubtedly ascertained, we are not brandishing arms.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ Bosh'tek: That is sad, I'm sorry. And you've hidden here in peace since? ::looks closer at the scroll laid out, looking for any sign of the crashed Borg vessel they had detected from orbit::

 

<Projection>::seems to think for a moment:: CO: Yes. Your weapons are unarmed. You are not like the ones who came before.

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::sighs, cracking his knuckles and tucking his equipment away:: MED/TAC: Alright, let's see how much juice these shuttles have. Cold start the warp core and let's see what's what.

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

Projection: You have nothing to fear from us....if you wish, I shall allow you access to our historical database.

<Boshtek>

@XO: Before they left us, the Ancients left us guardian devices; machines that would protect us from those who might wish us harm.

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

::nods to Fales::

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@CEO: I'll give it a go, but the core was on its way to shagged right before we landed.

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@::Nods at Foxworthy, looks happier now that they're next to the shuttles::

 

<Projection>

CO: One moment. ::stares blankly at the Captain:: There has been much conflict since the time of the Zaia.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ ::sits up straight:: Bosh'tek: I see... then I must ask, and this is important... how do these machines determine what is harmful?

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

Projection: The Zaia?

 

<Boshtek>

@::frowns some:: XO: The Bosh'teks were never told that. They were not told how any of the machines work. It was the Ancients' wish that we never possess their knowledge of the universe.

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::steps over to the Odysliad, hitting the hatch panel and waiting for it to open before getting inside and kneeling down, pulling open the hatch and manually setting the core M/AM reaction::

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@::Enters the shuttle and begins fiddling with systems, to initiated a matter/antimatter reaction::

 

<Projection>

CO: Using your database, the Zaia were a people who lived 254,102 of your Earth years ago.

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::kicks the panel closed and steps over to the console, taking his seat and beginning the cold start checks::

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

aOPS: Bring it up, Mr. Fales.

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

@::Hops into the shuttle and takes her seat::

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

Projection: I am not familiar with the species, but I am a quick learner.

 

<aOPS_Fales>

::searches the satabase for the information::

 

<Projection>

CO: Have you heard of the Iconians?

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

::moves to the edge of is seat:: Projection: I have....that information is very dangerous.

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::hums to himself as he begins preflight checks:: MED: Well, this was a waste of time.

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@::engages the cold start of the warp core:: *CEO/MED*: Good evening ladies and gentlemen, we're sorry for the troubles we had on landing, but we are now about to fly Douglas Luxury Travels. Please, keep your arms and legs in the vehicle at all times, or be sucked out into the vacuum of space.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ ::taps her comm badge:: *CO*: Captain.. ::her voice sounds oddly sing-song:: *CO*: This planet may have a mega security system in place. I recommend caution...

 

<Projection>

CO: The Iconians are responsible for the death of the Zaia. It is likely they removed mention of us from their records.

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::sighs, glancing over at Rousseau:: MED: Tell him to keep his mouth closed and concentrate on not crashing.

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

Projection: What little we do know, the Iconians possessed terrifying power.

 

<CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy>

@::as the checks all come back green, he fires off the thrusters and takes them up from the surface nice and slow::

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

*XO*: We are in contact with....someone, I think we've established a good dialogue. ::smiles at the projection::

 

<Projection>

CO: There is much I could tell you about them, but that is not my purpose.

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@*CEO*: I heard that commander. You hurt my feelings. Lighten up, we'll be fine sir.

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

Projection: If I may ask, what is your purpose?

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ *CO*: Oh, good... good. Glad to hear it... ::wonders "someone?!", but leave sit at that:: *CO*: Danann out.

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

msg #ST_MissionRoom1 @CEO: At least no one got hurt.. much ::glances at Douglas::

<Boshtek>

@XO: The Anicents knew that if we developed without their guidance, we would meet the same fate they did. So, they told the first Bosh'tek the truth, and instructed her to ensure the Children did not advance as they advanced.

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

@Computer: Computer lets punch it. ::With a green light, the shuttles thrusters engage and the shuttle takes off::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ Bosh'tek: Aaaah, that's why you have the dampening field in place? Er, why our machines don't work here?

 

<Projection>

CO: To ensure this world remains a secret. I have already erased all data from your computers regarding the planet. I have two options for dealing with you and your crew.

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

::cracks his neck:: Projection: Let's hope I find either one agreeable.

 

<Projection>

CO: I can destroy you, as I did with the ones who came before. Or, you will warn others of your kind never to come to this place.

 

<Boshtek>

@XO: Yes. The Guardian machines also discourage contact with outsiders, such as yourself, and the machine men.

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

::nods softly:: Projection: I promise.....I'll even go one step further. I will quarantine your system...that will discourage other visitors?

 

<Projection>

CO: That is acceptable.

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

Projection: I thought it might be.

 

ACTION: Alerts suddenly blare from several consoles on the bridge.

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

::sits up straight::

 

<CO_Captain_Rome>

aOPS: Report.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Danann>

@ ::winces:: Bosh'tek: Yes, we have met them, too. ::pauses:: Bosh'tek: You have my word I will not reveal your presence, here. I'm almost tempted to stay with you, but I'd never be able to get my hair to stay this curly without some serious hardware. ::grins::

 

<MED_Cdt_Rousseau>

::Settles back into her seat for the shuttle ride back to Hyperion::

 

<TAC_Cdt_Douglas>

::Shoots the shuttle in the direction of Hyperion, listening to 20th century rock and roll::

 

<aOPS_Fales>

::goes somewhat pale in the face:: CO: Sir... I'm getting energy readings from the Borg wreckage.

 

<<<Pause Mission>>>


© 2013-2014 Star Trek: Engage All Rights Reserved - All transcripts are property of Star Trek: Engage