U.S.S. Sentinel - 11408.11, Mission #8

"Stranded"


Summary

 

The Sentinel has found itself trapped in some kind of strange subspace filament that has been found laid out around the station, the strands connecting all of the astral bodies, the Monmouth, the asteroid cluster and now our heroes. An Away Team has been prepped and is ready to beam over, hopefully to rescue the survivors trapped in main engineering.

 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Resume Mission >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Standing in Transporter Room 1, looking over the Away Team, checking their readiness::

 

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>

::quickly scans her kit to make sure everything's in place:: Self: Alright, then... ::steps onto the transporter padd::

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::sits in The Big Chair(tm)::

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Scans the subspace filaments, trying to determine the best course of action.::

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

<remove last line>

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

OPS: Make sure you keep a lock on the Away Team.  ::taps his commbadge:: *Astrometrics*: Ensign Taylor, keep working on a way out of these filaments. I want a presentation for the XO by the time he returns.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

<she>

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Trots into the transporter room, adjusting his equipment as he steps onto the pad.:: ENG: Appologies Ensign.  Are we prepared?

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Looks over:: CSO: Glad you could make it. We should be all set. ::Stands on a pad:: All: Prepare for beaming.

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

*XO*: Best of luck out there, ma'am. Give a signal, and I'll make sure to have you out of there. But I can only get you in and out 120 metres from main engineering unless someone figures out what's causing the interference.

 

<CTO_Lt_Rolands>

::grabs a compression rifle from the locker and slings it over his shoulder, then getting a second one for his Ensign before stepping onto the transporter pad::

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Turns to the XO.:: XO: Oh! Forgive me Commander, I didn't realize you would be leading this mission.  Very good.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::overhears the Operations Officer:: OPS: That someone you mentioned, thats going to be you, Lieutenant, if I have anything to say about it.

 

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>

::glances about:: CSO: Looks like it.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Smiles:: CSO: No worries.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Smile broadly and stands ready, waiting for the transporters to engage.::

 

<aNAV_Ens_Taylor>

*Bridge*: Aye aye, Sir.. working on it. Ire completely at your disposal.

 

ACTION: The Away Team dematerialise in a fancy blue light, reappearing a few moments later onboard the science outpost in a small room. The lights are dim, but it shows off rents in the bulkheads, and the dark red stains of dried blood.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::looks over at the aTAC:: aTAC: Make sure to stay sharp on this system.  If another ship comes around, we need to be prepared.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@::Continues his conversation.:: ALL: .....or if they are fabricated by some......intelligence. Oh My!  ::Stares at the bloodstains and destruction.::

 

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>

@::takes out her tricorder and starts scanning, struggling to take her eyes off the blood spatter:: All: Anyone bring a phaser?

 

<CTO_Lt_Rolands>

@::raises his rifle to his shoulder, his eyes picking out everything from every shadow as he cautiously steps forward::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

@::Frowns at the scene and pulls out her phaser:: All: Be ready for anything...I don't like the look of this. CSO: Where are the lifesigns?

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@::Pulls out his tricorder and begins scanning the bloodstains and the rents.::

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@::Points to a body in the corner.:: XO: Goodness......!

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@::Blinks and nods to the XO.:: XO: scanning for lifesigns now.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@::Adjusts his tricorder and scans for the lifesigns, attempting to get a better idea of who they are...and what.::

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

NAV: This power drain has been bothering me, the one that seems like something out there is taking our power bit by bit.  I'll look into whether it's connected to the...hm... ::peers at his station readout::

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

OPS: What is it?

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

NAV: The drain's increased. Just slightly. We're still in the green.

 

<CTO_Lt_Rolands>

@::frowns as he looks around, shifting over towards the door and hitting the release to just get a beep of no signal:: ENG: Ensign, can you try and open this door?

 

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>

@XO: It seems the station's core has been powered down. Only the essential systems are operational; life support, gravity plating, and the like.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

@ENG: I take it we'd need to be at the access panel to see if it was voluntary or not?

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

OPS: Any chance in this filament nest?

 

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>

@::moves over to a nearby console and checks the status of the warp core::

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@::Rechecks the location of the lifesigns.::

 

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>

@XO: It appears the core was shut down by the Chief Engineer; it might have been an attempt to slow the power drain.

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

NAV: Still holding everything in place, sir. Let me run a few scans; if they're the reason for our power drain, then that would explain why the other ship is dead in the water.

 

ACTION: Onboard the Sentinel, the proximity alarms begin going off.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::looks at his panel next to his chair:: ALL: Yellow Alert, shields up!

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@::motions towards main engineering.:: XO: Lifesigns are in main engineering.  They're all very weak, we need ot hurry commander.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

@::Nods:: CSO: Alright, lets go. ::Starts walking towards main engineering.::

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

::slams into yellow alert, reaches to raise shields, and holds on to the console just in case::

 

<aTAC_Sluth>

::confirms shields are still raised:: NAV: Nothing on the directional sensors, sir. I can't see anything out there.

 

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>

@::follows along, still eyeing the carnage::

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

*XO*: Sentinel here, XO.  Ire going to have, Commander.  These filaments are starting to act up on us.

 

<CTO_Lt_Rolands>

@::follows along, taking point and going slowly, eyes looking everywhere::

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

OPS:  Scan those filaments again using the tachyon emissions from the Main Deflector like we did before.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@::Follows, scanning along the way, both the lifesigns and for any connection to the filaments.::

 

ACTION: A rapid, loud skittering echoes through the corridor around the Away Team.

 

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>

@::jumps and unconsciously steps behind the tactical officer::

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@::Stops and jumps slightly.:: All: That....was not expected.

 

<CTO_Lt_Rolands>

@::very quietly and cautiously steps forward, keeping his centre of gravity low:: CSO: Anything on sensors?

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@ ::Alters his scan to search for what was moving.::

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

NAV: Sir--the deep supspace scan I was running is showing that the filaments are drawing in energy from their surroundings with a slightly positive surface charge. And our energy drain? It keeps increasing. It's very slight, but if it keeps going...

 

ACTION: The skittering gets louder, a little less rapid and more jerky, stopping for a few seconds at a time before starting up again.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

@::Raises her phaser, set to stun lightly and keeps moving:: All: Everyone except CSO, pull out your phaser and set to stun. CSO: Keep scanning.

 

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>

@::glances down at her lack of phaser and hopes the XO won't notice::

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@XO: Commander, I'm not detecting a lifesign, but I am detecting movement in the jeffries tube adjacent to us.  It could be some kind of lifeform that defies our normal definitions.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::nods, standing to go look at the OPS console:: OPS: Okay, so we need a way to unravel or close these filaments.  And these filaments are probably created from the silithium in these asteroids.  What if we vaporized some of these asteroids?  Think that might work?

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

*XO*: Ex-O, did you get my last?

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@XO: Considering the subspace filaments spiderwebbed through the area, its possible they acted as a tranportation system.

 

<CTO_Lt_Rolands>

@::waves his Ensign ahead to flank the jeffries tube hatch, taking up a position in front of it and kneeling down, aiming his phaser rifle straight down the tube:: XO/CSO: If it comes out of here, we've got it.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

@*NAV*: Acknowledged. Keep working. Do what you can.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

@::Nods to the CTO::

 

ACTION: The skittering stops.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

*XO*: Roger. Sentinel out.

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

NAV: Blast them to dust? Could keep more filaments from forming at least.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@::Adjusts his scans to attempt to locate the movements source via scanning for various chemical and mineral markers as well as residual energy dispersment.::

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

OPS: Ire native to subspace as well. Maybe hitting these filaments with a tetryon beam will close them up some.

 

ACTION: With a resounding crash and screeching of metal, the ceiling above the Away Team crashes down and something leaps to the floor, multiple legs slashing the air, a high pitch wail screaming through their eardrums.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

aTAC: Prepare a Class VI probe for launch, with a message to stay away from this area, so any ships wonm targeting the cluster of filaments now.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@::Motions to an area behind the bulkhead wall. :: ALL: I'm detecting several mild energy pulses from this area inside the tube.  I believe whatever lifeform is stalking us is hiding there.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::as the aTAC preps the probe, he fires phasers directly at the largest asteroid, scientific phenomena be damned::

<CTO_Lt_Rolands>

<move the CSO's line before the action>

 

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>

@::shouts and dives away, covering her head protectively::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

@::Raises her arms to protect herself::

 

<CTO_Lt_Rolands>

@::fires at the indistinct shape before he gets knocked out of the way by some debris, righting himself as quick as he can::

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@::Gasps and freezes for a second before diving for cover.::

 

ACTION: The dust clears, and before the Away Team skitters a spider-like creature, it's thorax and abdomen covered in spiny, jutting outcrops, an odd prismatic efffect of scales cover it's entire body. It raises one of it's wickedly hooked front limbs and without so much as a thought decapitates Lieutenant Rolands, his head rolling away to rest at the CSO's, blood painting the bulkhead.

 

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>

@::screams and scrambles to get away from the creature, backing herself into a corner::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

@::Looks with shock at the death of the CTO and refocuses, sets her phaser to the highest setting, aims, and fires at the creature.::

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@::Turns and grabs his phaser from his side, fumbling slightly and starts firing as he backs away, eyes wide.::

 

ACTION: The screech gets louder, and the creature immediately rears up, snatching the Lieutenant's body before it can fall and beginning to roll it up, it's abdomen hooking underneath just before a crackling burst of energy smashes into its side and sends it tumbling down the corridor with a blackened hole burned nearly in it's side

 

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>

@::huddles tightly in the corner, her eyes glued to the creature::

 

ACTION: Back in space, the Sentinel's forward array lights up, the emitters glowing before a beam of phased energy lances across the space between the ship and one of the asteroid, the energy beam smashing into the rock and breaking it into several pieces. As the debris clears from the explosion, the handful of large chunks remain locked in position, still and unmoving.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

::Holds his phaser ready, moving slowly to the Ensigns side and reaching down to pull her to her feet. :: ENG: We need to move Ensign....quickly.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::slams his hand down on the armrest of The Big Chair(tm):: Self: Damn.  OPS:  Any luck with a tetryon beam? If we can do it, fire it at the largest concentration of these filaments.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

@::Aims and fires again to be sure::

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@::Holsters his phaser and pulls out his tricorder, scanning the creature and trying to control his heart rate.::

 

ACTION: Energy crackles along the spider creature's carapace and it jerks, it's claws reeling as dead muscles are triggered

 

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>

@::turns her attention to the headless tactical officer, some part of her unconvinced that this was real::

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@::Jumps slightly as the creatures jerks, swallows and moves forward slowly, scanning as he moves.::

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

::fingers flying across his station:: NAV: Setting it up now. Nothing a little jerry-rigging can't solve. Self: Should've been an engineer with that kind of talk...  ::after a few moments and a careful breath:: NAV: Firing beam.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

aTAC: Launch your probe when ready, Mister Beans.

 

<aTAC_Ens_Beans>

@::gets up slowly with a frown, his fingers and hands caked in blood:: XO: It's...he's gone, ma'am. ::stoicly steels his face::

 

<aTAC_Ens_Soss>

NAV: Aye, sir. ::readies the probe in the magazine and launches it from the forward tubes::

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

aTAC: Waitm sorry.  Launch your probe.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

@::Steps slowly towards the creature and comes to the conclusion that it's very dead. Taking a deep breath...:: *NAV*: Away Team here....Memo to be recorded.....Lieutenant Rolands, CTO deceased with honors. Away Team out....

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@::Nods as he reads the results.:: ALL: Reading biologicals now....getting a mild energy signature from the carapace....the same subspace energy as the filaments.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

@CSO: So they're related somehow?

 

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>

@::trembles slightly, speaking the first thing that came to mind:: XO/CSO: We're in a web. ::gives a look of dread::

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::frowns:: *XO*: What ::hears the end of the communication:: *XO*: Aye. Wes commbadge and beam his remains to the morgue.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@::Turns to the Ensign and nods slightly.:: ENG: It would seem.....::Suddenly gets wide eyed. ::  ALL: My God....the crew...the lifesigns.....

 

<TR_Chief>

::swallows, biting back the sadness:: *NAV*: A...aye, sir. ::locks onto Rolands' comm badge and transports him back one last time::

 

ACTION: The CTO's body disappears in a twinkling blue light

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

@::Turns back to the CSO:: CSO: What is it?

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::looks down for the effects of the tetryon beam on his scanners::

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

NAV: Did they say WHAT killed him?

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@XO: If these creatures are similar to terrestrial archanids, I fear the crew are in severe danger.....Arachnids are carnivores.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

OPS: No. Wes having an effect.  Fire that beam directly behind us while I try and back the ship up out of here.

 

ACTION: Onboard the Sentinel, the proximity alarms go off once more.

 

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>

@: Takes a deep breath.:: XO: Sir, I believe we need to assertain the crews condition.  We have to press on.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

@::Nods:: CSO: Cocoons? ::Looks at the ENG:: ENG: I understand this is sudden and harsh, but I need everyone to focus and be in the right mind for this if we're going to get out of this alive.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

ALL: Report!

 

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>

@::Glances to the XO, taking several deep breaths as she tries to collect herself; she slowly gets to her feet, and picks up her kit::

 

<aTAC_Ens_Soss>

::frowns down at his readings:: NAV: Sir, i've got some sort of weird energy signature coming from the filament nest, directly to port about 300 metres....200 metres....Sir, whatever it is it's headed this way.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

@::Nods:: ENG: There's time to mourn once we get back. ::Keeps moving towards Main Engineering, knowing what we're after now::

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

OPS: Aim your tetryon beam that way. *ALL*: Brace for impact! ::grabs the armrests of The Big Chair(tm), making sure he wears in the chair as much as possible for the XO and CO::

 

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>

@::frowns some, not sure 'mourning' was the right word for what she was feeling::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

@*NAV*: Spiders....as our ENG officer so eloquently put it....we're in a Spider Web.

 

ACTION: A reverberting crash sounds throughout the Sentinel's hull, a slight rocking sending people swaying to and fro, followed by the sound of skittering.

 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Pause Mission >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


© 2013-2014 Star Trek: Engage All Rights Reserved - All transcripts are property of Star Trek: Engage