U.S.S. Sentinel - 11408.04, Mission #7

"Stranded"


Sentinel 11408.04

USS Sentinel, Mission #7

The Sentinel has been called to a remote scientific outpost while en route to Starbase 123 in the Beta Quadrant. Starfleet lost contact with the outpost and the first responding vessel they sent, the U.S.S. Monmouth. With the outpost being so close to Romulan space, Starfleet has urged the crew to keep their eyes open, just in case this is some kind of Romulan plot. We join our heroes 10 minutes away from the Outpost, with sensors directed forward to see the station, the Monmouth and the asteroid cluster hanging dead in space.


<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Begin Mission - "Stranded" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
::Watching multiple scans, one of the asteroid field, another on the eerie, dark station.::

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>
::Sits in her new chair on the bridge, watching over the situation::

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
::crawls out of a random jeffries tube:: Self: Whoever numbered these things is an asshat...

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>
NAV: Lieutenant Commander Marsland, what's our eta?

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
::looks up at the viewscreen from his panel:: CO: We’ll be there in ten minutes, Captain.

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>
::keeps an ear to the comm in case of any chatter--although he's not expecting any at this point::

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
::looks down at his navigational sensors, looking for any signs of the Monmouth and the station::

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
::stretches her back before checking the chronometer, then makes her way briskly to the turbolift:: Self: Crap crap crap...

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
::Taps a few settings on his console.:: CO: Scanners are showing no signs of activity from the Monmouth or Outpost 426, nore from the asteroid cluster.  No movement at all, and the Outpost is running on bare minimal power."

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
::looks down at his sensors to confirm::

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>
CO: Everything is dead air to boot, sir.  Nobody is talking to anyone.

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
CO: They're all just...hanging there....eerie...

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
CSO: Any lifesigns?

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>
ALL: How familiar.

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
::steps onto the bridge as if she weren't five minutes late::

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>
ENG: Ensign sh'Tolar, you're five minutes late.

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
::Smiles weakly, trying to break the tension.:: CO: One can hope this isn't a repeat of the Maubry.

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>
CSO: If it is, then someone needs to look into the transporters.

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
::grimaces:: CO: I know... sir. Dealing with a stubborn gel pack. ::moves to her station::

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
::clears his throat:: CSO: Lieutenant Hret, do you detect any lifesigns from the ship or station?

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
::smirks to herself as she thinks about the real reason::

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>
NAV: Anything on LRS? Being this close to the neutral zone, I want to know if anything's out there.

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
::looks down at his panel again, running a long range scan subroutine to see what’s out there::

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
XO: Three to one the Romulans are involved. It's always the Romulans...

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
::Checks his scanners again, then shakes his head.:: ALL: Detecting 71 on the station, but none on the Monmouth....426 has a compliment of 22, the Monmouth 80.   31 souls missing.

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
CO: The lifesigns on the station are very faint Captain, almost non-existent.

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>
ENG: Let's not jump to conclusions.

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
::Shakes his head.:: ENG: Perhaps, but I would caution on jumping to conclusions at this juncture.  We simply don't have enough data to make an accurate assessment.

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
::mutters:: Self: Let's not be a buzzkill...

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
XO: Sir, not much out there.  This cluster of asteroids is quite remarkable, from a scientific standpoint. ::taps his console a bit more:: XO: The cluster is sticking about eighty klicks from the stations.  As far as long-range scans go.. ::taps some more:: XO: I’m picking up the USS Zimmerman and USS Yangtze at extreme range, but the neutral zone appears clear.

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
All: Quite a surreal setting....the ship just seems.....dead. Most macabre...

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
ALL: Coming out of warp now.

ACTION: The Sentinel drops out of warp just outside of the Station perimeter, the sleek form of the Sovereign-class vessel gliding in closer on impulse

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>
::Nods:: NAV: Thank you. ::Looks over:: CO: If lifesigns are that faint, shouldn't our priority be a medical team to assist?

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
::Runs a scan of the Neutral Zone, looking for any traces of tachyon emissions or residual anti-protons that would indicate a cloaked ship.::

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
::starts going over the scans of the Monmouth for signs of malfunction::

<aNAV_Ens_Taylor>
*NAV*: Sir, I’m forwarding some data to your console now you may want to look out. Some odd readings down here from Astrometrics.

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
*Taylor*: Very well, Ensign. I’ll take a look. ::brings up the data and begins to study it as he closes on the Monmouth and the station::

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
XO: I would agree, but I recommend extreme caution.  This could be anything from mechanical to biological, we simply have no idea at this ti....::Trails off as he checks the data from his scan.::

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
XO: Sir, recommend Yellow Alert.  Also.. ::reads some more:: XO: If these readings are correct, something is keeping this cluster of asteroids in place near the station, which doesn’t make sense. They should be about ten thousand klicks farther than here by now.

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
CO: Captain, I am detecting a trace warp signature, possibly residual from a cloaked ship.  It's course leads into the Romulan Neutral Zone.

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>
All: Yellow Alert.

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
::frowns some:: CO: I'm not seeing any damage to the Monmouth, or any indication as to what happened. It's like someone just... turned everything off. ::frowns::

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>
CSO: Any further details on that warp signature? Is it Romulan?

ACTION: As the Sentinel nears the station, just as it begins to move into an pattern, the vessel comes to a complete and unexpected stop. The crew rocks harshly in their hairs as the inertial dampeners engage to compensate

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>
ALL: Auugh! Oh shit! NAV: What was that?

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
::falls from her chair, emitting a swear::

<CTO_Lt_Rolands>
::grips his console, falling against it hard as the ship comes to a dead stop, engaging the shields quickly as he picks himself back up:: XO: Yellow alert, shield up. No damage from...whatever that was.

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
::grasps his console, tapping out a scan:: CO: Unknown, Sir. Reversing engines. ::attempts to reverse the ship at 0.5c::

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>
::Rocks forward, but manages to keep her seat::

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
::picks herself back up, rubbing her side as she checks the systems, trying to figure out what the hell that was::

ACTION: The impulse engines flare to life, but the ship goes nowhere

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
::narrows the focus on the warp signature, comparing it to the known configurations used by both the Romulans and Federation fleets.:: CO: I am attempting to determine if this signature matches any in our records, I should know either way shortly OH MY! ::Lurches forward and braces himself as the ship lurches to a stop.::

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
::kills the impulse engines:: CO/XO: We’re… stuck. It’s like we hit a brick wall.

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>
::keeps himself from smacking face-first into the console, barely:: NAV: Like the asteroids that shouldn't be stuck here.

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
::Quickly launches a scan of the area to attempt to locate the source and nature of the stoppage.::

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
*Taylor*: Ensign Taylor, begin a detailed scan of this cluster. I want to know everything there is to know possibly. Something has us stuck.

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
::shakes her head:: CO: We're stuck in something, sir... The engines are definitely pushing, but something's keeping us here.

<aNAV_Ens_Taylor>
*NAV*: Right away, Sir. I’ll get everyone on it. Taylor out.

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>
NAV: Can we back off?

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
::sighs, thinking as he studies his panel again:: CSO: You might be able to learn more about the nature of your warp signature if you scan for tetryon particles, Lieutenant. ::turns in his chair to face the command team:: CO: Negative, Captain, I’ve already tried.  The engines fire just fine, but something is holding us here. We’re not going anywhere.

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
::Frowns to himself.:: CO: Captain, I am detecting some odd subspace signatures emanating approximately 100 kilometers from outpost 426.

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>
CSO: Any idea as to their nature?

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
CO: Not at this time Captain, but I am scanning to gather more data to ascertain just that.

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
::overhears:: CO/CSO: I suggest directing a tachyon sweep in that direction.  I just read an article not long ago about cloaked ships travelling at warp speeds emitting some sort of subspace variance.  That might help detect such a ship.

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
::looks down at his panel, then over to OPS:: OPS: How’s our power doing?  No drain or anything, like the Monmouth appears to have suffered, is there?

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>
NAV: It is odd...we're in the green, but there is a very slight drain in some of our non-critical systems.  Our output more than compensates, but I'm not sure where the power's being leeched from.

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>
CO: Seems like the quickest way to get answers about our situation is to check out the Monmouth, whereas the lifesigns are on the station...We should try hailing them, sir.

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>
CSO: Whatever's stopping us, is it affecting the transporters as well?

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>
XO: Agreed, get them on the horn.

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
::barely hears OPS as he looks at his report on his panel:: Self: Subspace filaments.. what the hell...

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>
OPS: Open hailing frequencies.

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
::Nods.:: CO:  A focused tachyon burst could detect a cloaked ship, I'll start on prepping a sweep per the Lieutenants suggestion.

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
::Shakes his head.:: CO: No captain, all other systems seem unaffected.

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>
XO: Hailing frequencies open. But they've been quiet this entire time; we might not hear anything back.

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>
XO: How would you feel about taking an away team over to the station?

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
::frowns in concentration, going over the data::

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
OPS/CO: Given the low level of the life signs, its possible they may not be able to answer.

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>
COM: Station: This is Commander Claire Stradiot of the USS Sentinel, is there anyone who is able to respond?

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>
CSO: Either way, we need to know what's going on over there.

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>
CO: It would seem like it's going to happen either way, sir.

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
CO: Sir, Astrometrics is detecting a cluster of subspace filaments in the area. I don’t see how they’d stick us here, but it is an extremely strange occurrence.

ACTION: The com is quiet, there's no response.


<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
::preps a focused tachyon sweep, programing in several fluctuations to defeat compensation.::

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
CO: Captain, given the station and the Monmouths state, perhaps use of the prefix code to assume remote functions of the station would give us a better idea of what's happening aboard?

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>
CSO: Agreed. OPS: I'd also like to beam a probe over before we send anyone over, make sure our transporters are not affected.

<CSO_LtJG_Hret>
CO: It would give us access to the stations functions, including internal sensors and logs, as well as provide control over the stations cameras should they still be functional.

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
::looks for an indication of what the station was studying::

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
Outloud: A subspace filament has been used to hold a wormhole open before, inadvertently. It is what enabled communication to the Gamma Quadrant in real time.

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
*Astrometrics*: Focus your scans on the subspace filaments. Get me their dimensions.

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>
::sends a message to ready a probe for transport. this safer approach is really refreshing...:: CO: Sir, sensors indicate all lifesigns are concentrated in one area. They must have found a place they thought was safe, in the centre--I think main engineering. We can focus our efforts there to start with.

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
NAV/CO: There are trace amounts of silithium in the asteroid cluster. Under certain circumstances, silithium can create a subspace filament.

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>
XO/OPS: Once we've confirmed the probe is safely aboard, prepare an away team.

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
CO: Sir, with your permission, I’d like to try using an ionized subspace burst from the Main Deflector.  My people think it may light up the filaments.

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>
::frowns at his station:: CO: I cannot seem to beam directly into engineering.  I can get us about 120 metres away on the same deck.  There seems to be some kind of subspace interference getting in the way...

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
NAV: If these filaments are responsible for whatever this is, it might not be the best idea to excite them.

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>
CO: Aye, sir.

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>
NAV: Any indication it may interfere with the ships systems?

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
CO: I don’t believe so, Captain. Essentially we’d just be sending some ionized particles out to attach to the filaments so our sensors can see them better.

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>
NAV: Alright, go ahead.

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
::nods, tapping his panel:: ALL: Activating the beam from the Main Deflector now. ::activates, watching his sensors::

ACTION: The viewscreen picks up the view from outside, and as the Sentinel's deflector dish powers up and initiates the burst thousands upon thousands of subspace strands light up silver. They weave around the station, between the Sentinel and the Monmouth and connecting the vessels and the cluster of asteroids, like knitted yarn.

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>
CSO: Alright, what am I looking at.

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
::fights mightily to avoid the 'clusterfuck' pun::

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
*Astrometrics*: Good job, guys. Now figure out what we can do to back us out of here.  Also, research the effects of verteron particles on these filaments, and what we can do to generate them if need be.

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>
OPS: Try beaming the probe as close as you can.

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
CO: According to the data I’m receiving from Astrometrics, the subspace filaments appear to be woven around the station almost deliberately, like a trap, connecting everything in this 100km or so of space together.

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>
::attempts to beam it as close as he can:: XO: 120 metres outside main engineering. Beam-in successful.

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>
::alarmed:: NAV: We fell into a trap?

<ENG_Ens_shTolar>
::frowns some:: NAV: One hell of a trap, if it's dependent on colliding with silithium-laced asteroids...

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
::sighs:: OPS: We’ll be fine.

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>
NAV: You better hope so, you were the one driving after all.

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>
CO: At least I had my ETA right.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Pause Mission >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


© 2013-2014 Star Trek: Engage All Rights Reserved - All transcripts are property of Star Trek: Engage