U.S.S. Sentinel - 11406.23, Mission #1

"A Fresh Start"


Sentinel 11406.23 U.S.S. Sentinel, Mission #1

Summary

The newly christened U.S.S. Sentinel gleams in her moorings at Utopia Planetia, her crew standing ready to take her out into the vast unknowns of space. People line the habitat areas to watch her maiden voyage.

 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Begin Mission >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::Trots out of yet another science lab towards the turbolift, reflecting yet again on just how big a sovereign class starship is.::

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> @::snoozes lightly in the hallway leading up to the airlock::

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> ::Stands at the Tactical station, pretending she knows what she's doing::

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::Huffing slightly as he trots into the TL.:: TL: Bridge please...thank you.

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> *All* We're just about ready to get underway, if those of you wanting to be on the bridge for this great undertaking, please make your way there now.

<+CMO_LtJG_Thur> ::slowly lowers all tables in sickbay to Tellurite height, smiles, heads to turbolift::

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> Self: Goodness...

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::Adjust the small stack of padds he's carrying, looking over one of them as the turbolift doors open to the bridge.::  CO: Good evening Captain.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::snaps awake at the sound of the moorings preparing for disconnect, and looks around drearily for a moment before suddenly freaking out:: Self: Shitshitshit... ::grabs her bag and sprints to the airlock::

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> ::Notices a spot of mustard on her duty jacket. Oh no... Not today.::

<+OPS_Ens_Baudin> ::runs a small handheld decon over the console before settling himself at it::

<Security_Guard> @::watches sh'Tolar sprinting towards the airlock, and debates closing it before she arrives::

<+CMO_LtJG_Thur> ::turbolift door slides open on the bridge:: ALL: Are we moving yet? I'm going stir crazy!

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> @::throws her bag at the security officer before he can close the door::

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> CSO: Evening Lieutenant.

<Security Guard> @::smirks, catching it one handed and then holding it out for her to grab as she bolts past:: ENG: Hurry it up, Ensign.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> @::grabs the back and flashes a smile:: SEC: workiNG On it!

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::Trots to his station, looking over the latest reports on the "weather" between them and Starbase 123.::

<Security_Guard> @::closes up the airlocks behind her, then confirms with docking control that the last mooring is clear.

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::looks up at the CMO with a slightly confused look.:: Stir crazy?  Is that a terran disease?

<+OPS_Ens_Baudin> ::tap tap a blinking light on the console:: CO: Sir, incoming communication from Starbase 1.

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> OPS: Put it through ensign.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::stops at a wall console:: Computer: Where are my quarters?

 

ACTION: The Admiral's face blinks up on screen, the Bajoran man smiling kindly.

 

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> ::Pfft, this guy... D'Mera smiles knowingly.::

<~Admiral_Ren> @*CO*: Captain Yeremenko, I've gotten the final all clear from station keeping. You are free to take the Sentinel out.

<Please change Terran to Tellarite please>

<+CMO_LtJG_Thur> CSO: It's a serious one, is what it is. Trust me. I'm a doctor. Oop - ::turns to face Admiral::

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> *Admiral_Ren*: Thank you sir, we'll do our best not to scratch the paint on the way out.

<~Admiral_Ren> @::grins slowly:: *CO*: Best of luck, Captain. Prophets guide you on your path. Starbase One out.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::stops by her quarters just long enough to toss her bag in the room, and runs for Engineering::

 

ACTION: The screen winks off.

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::Cocks his head to the side slightly as if confused.:: All: That was surprisingly brief.....

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> OPS: Ensign Baudin, I believe the word is given. Prepare aft thrusters, ahead one quarter.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::steps out of the Turbolift and onto the Bridge like she'd been walking the whole time::

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> ::Notices the red alert action tab at the top of her console... Oh god... Don't touch that...::

<+OPS_Ens_Baudin> ::sees the all-clear from the station, shifts from the ops station to the nav for the thrusters:: CO: Ahead one quarter, aye.

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> ENG: Ensign sh'Tolar, cutting it a little close eh?

<+CMO_LtJG_Thur> CSO: You're COMPLAINING about a short speech?

 

ACTION: Slowly, the sleek, graceful form of the Sovereign class U.S.S. Sentinel moves out of her moorings in the construction arches outside of Utopia Planetia.

 

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> CO: Yes, sir; my, uh, wake up call fell through. ::glances about and heads for the engineering console::

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> ::D'Mera can't help but smile ear to ear... She's on the bridge, serving at a senior station, for the launch of a brand new ship.::

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::Turns to Thur with a fanged, toothy smile.:: CMO: Absolutely not! I've found most senior officers to be a bit long winded is all, its refreshing to see brevity for once.

 

ACTION: Smoothly the Sentinel glides out from under the arches, moving out past the other construction yards and ship, worker bees clearing the path ahead of her

 

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> CMO: Well now, that should do some good for your Stir Crazy...ness?

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> OPS: Alright, when we're clear of the fleetyards, set a course for the system's outer markers. Full impulse.

<+CMO_LtJG_Thur> ::runs tricorder over self:: CSO: Yes, improving already!

<+OPS_Ens_Baudin> ::if he's nervous (and he is) he refuses to show it, actions sure if stiff:: CO: We are clear of Utopia Planetia, sir. Full impulse aye.

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> CMO/CSO: And let's try to avoid space madness on our first day. There'll be plenty of time for that later.

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::Smiles his toothy fanged grin again.:; CMO: Excellent!

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::checks the status of the main systems::

<+OPS_Ens_Baudin> ::frowns at the joking talk of insanity and disease. what a pleasant conversation for the bridge...::

 

ACTION: The Sentinel's impulse engines fire up, pushing her to even greater speeds, planets and stations whizzing by as the crew head towards the edge of the system.

 

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::calls down to Engineering:: *aCEO*: We have a slight imbalance in the matter-antimatter intermix, uh... sir? ::hasn't learned any names yet::

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::Smiles slightly as the ship accelerates.:: All: And we're off.

<CEO_Granger> *ENG*: We're picking it up too. See if you can balance it up there for now and we'll adjust the ratios on the fly until we find the right setting.

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> ENG: Anything I should be worried about Ensign sh'Tolar?

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> *Granger*: Alright... ::brings up the intermix controls and looks over her shoulder:: CO: No, sir; just a growing pain. We'll have it under control shortly. ::carefully alters the injector ratios::

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> ENG: Alright, just remember, new ship. No blaming it on the previous crew.

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::cocks his head slightly as he looks to a few minor blip on his screen, then taps his combadge.:: ENG: I'm detecting some mirroring in our sensors, I suggest an alignment adjustment.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> CO: I can always blame it on the builders... ::checks the new mix::

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> OPS: Ensign Baudin, set a course for the Draylax system. Warp Seven.

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> ::Taps at her console... Everything seems good... She shrugs and looks around the bridge through the corners of her eyes. Nothing to see here.::

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::glances over to the CSO, still not entirely awake:: CSO: Right... ::stares blankly at the console display for a moment, then figures out where the sensor array controls are::

<+OPS_Ens_Baudin> CO: Aye sir. ::punches it. please, engineering, don't let them explode on day one?::

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ENG:  it should be a minor adjustment, nothing too extreme.

 

ACTION: The Sentinel's nacelles flare as it forms the warp bubble around itself, then with a sudden surge of speed it launches into the far reaches of space, a flash of light marking its entrance into the realms of warp speed to the casual observer.

 

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> All: If anyone left anything in the solar system, it's too late now.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::adjusts some of the emitter panels a few millimeters:: CSO: Try it now.

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> ::Smirks... Well now something's wrong.:: CO: Captain... Commander... Uh, Captain, the deflector shields are fluc-fluctuating... I'm recalibrating them now... ::Good job, D'Mera, you only screwed that up as much as you possibly could.::

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> CMO: Lt. Thur, hows the sickbay looking? Everything where it should be?

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::Frowns slightly and opens the science divisions resource list.:: CO: Goodness, I hope not!

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> ::She taps at her console nervously as her pheromone inhibitor begins to beep quietly, she's sweating and the tiny wrist-mounted device is working overtime.::

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> TAC: Well, alright, keep me informed if anything else is looking unusual.

<+CMO_LtJG_Thur> CO: Oh, yes sir! It's so nice to have equipment I can reach without standing on an empty gakh carton. And staff! It's nice to have some help not made of photons.

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> :: Taps away at the ships sensors, then nods.:: ENG: Excellent work ensign, well done.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::Sighs softly as she sees the lag in the sensor rhythm:: TAC: I got this, one sec.

<+CMO_LtJG_Thur> CO: Now, if we could just get a mud pit installed ... purely for medicinal purposes.

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> CMO: You'd probably have better luck finding one of those in the holodeck.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::spins the wheels while she tries to recall the right formula for a Sovereign::

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> ::She looks at the console as she pulls her hands back to check the readings.:: CO: Uh... Fixed it... Sir. ::I think? Should I say that? No... Have to sound confident.::

<+CMO_LtJG_Thur> CO: It's not the same! From a medical perspective. Sir. ::chuckles as if caught::

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> CMO: I've heard of the healing and dermatological benefits of mud, but is never done much for me..other than matting my fur.  Perhaps I was using the wrong mixture.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::looks over at tack, then checks the readings:: TAC: Snap. Nice work.

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> TAC: You don't sound so sure.

<+OPS_Ens_Baudin> ::shakes head to himself. first day jitters or no, these people DO know what they're doing, right...?::

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> ::ohshitohshitohshitohshit:: CO: I'm sure, Coma-aptain...

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::smirks some at D'Mera's jitters::

<+CMO_LtJG_Thur> CSO: ::quietly:: The only way we can be certain is cross checking the results. Be sure to mention this to the Captain.

 

TIMEWARP: Two hours later, the majority of the quirks and niggles have been worked out and the Sentinel cruises through space like a fish through water, sleek and beautiful.

 

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::feels somewhat better, having gotten some caffeine in her system::

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::tapping away at his station, humming happily to himself.::

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> OPS: Ensign Baudin, what's our current ETA to the Draylax system?

<+OPS_Ens_Baudin> ::getting comfortable at the helm. wouldn't know it by looking at him, though:: CO: Sir, about seven-- ::cuts himself off, moving back to ops::

<+OPS_Ens_Baudin> CO: We're picking up a distress signal around Barnard's Star, sir.

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> OPS: Put it through

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::Snaps out of his happy place and conducts a scan of the area around Barnard's Star.::

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::turns to see the message::

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> CO: One ship... Registry... USS Maubry, an Oberth class, Sir. ::Nerves sorted out, D'Mera sounds downright confident.::

 

ACTION: The crackle of an emergency broadcast echoes over the comms. "This is the U.S.S. Maubry.....Experiencing....Containmen-....-each imminent.....Tr-.........to the surf-........."

 

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> TAC: Have any other Starfleet ships responded?

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> OPS: Prepare to lay in a new course to the Maubry.

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> CO: Negative sir... Logs say she's one of the freight runners and the surrounding systems.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::frowns some at the mention of a containment breach:: CO: If their core is breached, an explosion is imminent.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> CO: Like... a big one.

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> ENG: Any indication how much time they have?

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::runs some scans:: CO: I need more info, but it'll be a matter of minutes.

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::Taps away at science, then nods.:: CO: Ensign sh'Tolar is correct, detecting a massive buildup in the Maubry's warp core.

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> OPS: What's our ETA at maximum warp?

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> CO: No other ships in the area, Sir... Just us. ::She looks up at the Commander::

<+OPS_Ens_Baudin> CO: Three minutes, sir.

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> OPS: Alright, lay in that new course. Maximum warp.

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> TAC: How many crewmen on board?

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> CO: Oberth is standard of 80, but Maubry is only listed as having 12... ::This can't be right, she thinks::

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> CMO: Lt. Get down to sickbay, prepare for casualties.

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::preps the transporters for emergency evacuation.  Gets an odd reading from his scans of the area and frowns.:: CO: Captain....I'm getting some gravitational distortions emanating from the moon the Maubry is orbiting....strange.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::frowns some:: TAC/CO: It's an older class. If it's just running freight, it may have been partially automated.

<+OPS_Ens_Baudin> ENG: Let me know if it looks like we're about to get caught up in something big and nasty so I can try to get us out of here.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> OPS: Sure, why not? ::grins briefly before turning back to her console::

 

ACTION: The Sentinel changes course, speeding up to her maximum velocities. If there was sound in space, she'd be screaming her way to Barnard's Star and the stricken U.S.S. Maubry

 

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> TAC: Raise shields and take us to Yellow Alert.

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> CO: Aye, Sir. ::Hits the yellow alert button and raises the shields.::

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::Focuses his scans on the moon, searching for more information and a source of the distortions.::

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> CSO/TAC: This is going to be close, as soon as we're in range, lower the shields and beam the crew aboard.

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> CSO: Any indication these distortions may impair our rescue efforts?

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> ::D'Mera nods in understanding, setting the tactical console to respond to Engineering's transporter requests. The shields should function at their command. Much of the Sovereign's automation is impressive, nothing like the ratty old Hooke.::

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> CO/OPS: Understood.  I recommend we maintain as great a distance as transporters will allow, we don't want to get caught in the gravitational distortion.

<+OPS_Ens_Baudin> CO/CSO: I will try to make the stop as smooth as possible.

<+CMO_LtJG_Thur> ::picks up beeping PADD, frowns, begins prepping sickbay::

 

ACTION: The Sovereign drops out of warp in the vicinity of the Maubry, the small ship orbiting the moon almost peacefully, hanging in space with her lights and nacelles dark.

 

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> CSO: Don't wait for my order, beam the crew over as soon as possible.

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> Aloud: Three signatures on the planet's surface... They're faint... Can't get a lock.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::tries to get some scans of the warp core to determine what might have caused the breach::

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> TAC: Are they in any danger should the Maubry go critical?

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::Frowns and shakes his head,:: CO: Captain...the Maubry seems...fine.  No signs of a breach, she's just powered down....odd.

<+CMO_LtJG_Thur> ::turns to nurses:: All: Folks, this isn't a drill. I know some of you have never been that far out here before. We're just about the only folks who can help for a million miles. And that should make you feel better - because you're a damn fine team. Now get moving!

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> Aloud: Well, yeah... ::Whoops, that was aloud::

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::Scans the ship and the conducts a second scan on the moons surface, focusing on the three lifesigns.::

<+OPS_Ens_Baudin> CSO: What--is it some sort of trap?

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> CSO: Could the gravitational distortion have affected our scans?

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> CO: Sir, we need to maintain our distance from the moon; if we enter the gravity well, I can't guarantee we'll get out.

ACTION: Spurred by the Doctor's words, the nurses and medical staff steel themselves and begin prepping for injured.

 

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> CO: There's a lot of interference, I can't get a solid lock... ::Looks to the Caitian at the Science console for answers.::

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> ENG: Understood, OPS: Until we sort this out, let's keep our distance.

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> CO: perhaps, but it seems unlikely it would do so, and definitely not to such a degree.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::bites her lip some:: CO: A type 11 might be able to do it, though. It's engine power to mass ratio is more suited to it.

<+OPS_Ens_Baudin> ::ready at the helm, almost itching to leave. nothing seems fine here.:: ENG: Thankfully, I wasn't planning on bringing us much closer.

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> OPS: Hail the Maubry if you please.

<+OPS_Ens_Baudin> ::taps the console, waits a second, two seconds, tries again:: CO: No response, Captain. She's got no power.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> OPS/CSO: Are there any lifesigns still on the ship?

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ::narrows the scan on the moons surface and the three lifesigns to get more data.:: ENG: I wouldn't recommend such a course of action just yet.  I believe we need more data before we take an drastic measures, we don't seem to be in any danger as of yet.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> CSO: You guys determine what we do; I'm just telling you what we *can* do.

<+OPS_Ens_Baudin> ENG: It looks like just the three on the planet. Where...is everyone else?

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ENG: And its definitely a possible course of action should events change.  ::Smiles broadly with the same toothy fanged smile.::

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::frowns some:: OPS: There's a lot of radiation coming off the warp core. My guess is the rest got a lethal dose.

<@CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko> OPS: Open a channel. Try and get in contact with the three on the surface. This is all very odd.

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> CO: There is a breathable atmosphere on the moon captain, hot and arid, but breathable.

<+ENG_Ens_shTolar> ::seems thoughtful:: OPS: Or there could have been a transporter accident... radiation and an unusual gravity well... ::shrugs::

<+TAC_Ens_DMera> Self: This is so weird... Am I reading this wrong? ::She continues to investigate the strange readings.::

<+OPS_Ens_Baudin> CO: With all the interference, I'll need time, sir. Give me fifteen minutes to punch through.

<+CSO_LtJG_Hret> ENG: I sincerely hope you're wrong, but it seem to be likely that all or most hands were lost....tragic.

 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Pause Mission >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 


© 2013-2014 Star Trek: Engage All Rights Reserved - All transcripts are property of Star Trek: Engage