U.S.S. Hyperion - 11406.16, Mission #14

"Rosetta"


U.S.S. Hyperion Mission #14

Directed by: C. J. Short

 

 

Starring

 

Einar Sigurðsson as Captain Jonathan Rome

Aoibhe Ní Shúilleabháin as Commander Niamh Danann

Sophie Wakeling as Lieutenant Joanne Feyna

Riccardo Fabris as Ensign Dimak O'kar

 

Guest Starring

 

James Greenman as Lieutenant Commander Richard Foxworthy

 

SUMMARY: The Away Team comes face to face with a massive, alien spider creature, and the nature of the dampening field becomes clear; it seems to disable all forms of electricity, including Cadet Douglas' implants. Meanwhile, the Hyperion waits in orbit, waiting for word from the surface.

 

<<<Resume>>>

CO_Captain_Rome: ::crosses his legs as he sits down:: All: Sometimes I miss away trips...look at that forest.

CTO_Lt_Feyna: ::Stands at Tac, awaiting a tactical report from Douglas::

 @ACTION: The creature screeches again, sizing up its prey.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @::yells at Viltvogel to grab the suddenly unconscious TAC, and grabs his dropped weapon to help aTAC Hill hold back the 8-legged beast::

NAV_Ens_OKar: CO: Sssir, the dead zone ssseemsss inpenetrable, I either lossse telemetry or cannot ssscan within the zone if I keep the probesss out of it.

CO_Captain_Rome: ::accepts a PADD from a passing Yeoman and glances at it before signing off:

CTO_Lt_Feyna: ::Looks down at her console::  CO: Sir, priority one message from starfleet

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: ::sweeps his fingers across the console, doing everything he can to cut through whatever cloaking device is shielding the AT from scans. He can't even find an EM field!::

CO_Captain_Rome: NAV: Can you give me infrared? See if we can pick up heat signatures.

CO_Captain_Rome: ::adjusts his uniform:: CTO: On screen.

 @ACTION: The creature advances, navigated the trees and ground as if they were one and the same.

CTO_Lt_Feyna: ::Puts the message on screen::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @::Takes a few paces back, ensuring her phaser blasts don't hit the giant, hairy spider-beast. She be OK with singing its furry head a bit, though::

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::turns the probe to infrared:: CO: I can try sssir, but all we keep picking up isss treesss.

Adm_Walker: ::appears on screen with an uncharacteristically grim expression:: *CO*: Captain, I have troubling news.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::shudders:: aTAC: You ever had spider steak, Hill? ::indicates it's probably time to run::

[12:06] <@XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ <aTAC_Hill: XO: No ma'am, and I have no intention of ever doing so! ::throws a few more stones at the spider and nods his willingness to leg it, now::

CO_Capt_Rome: ADM: Admiral.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ aTAC: Let's go, run! ::waits for aTAC to set off before turning, herself and following him back the way they came::

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::looks deep into the scans from the probes, trying to see if there is anything he missed::

ADM_Walker: *CO*: Approximately one hour ago, a small fleet of Tzenkethi vessels launched an attack on the Gemulon system, including the USS Xiphos.

CO_Captain_Rome: ::grips his armrests:: *ADM*: The Hyperion is at your disposal, Admiral.

 @ACTION: The spider seems to be somewhat bothered by the fire of the TR-116, but the rounds don't seem to penetrate the chiton. As the team retreats, a second creature drops from the sky, blocking their path.

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::suddenly perks up when he hears the name of the Xiphos mentioned::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::skids to a halt, almost stumbling backwards. Stares up at the second giant spider thing:: Self: Bollocks.

ADM_Walker: *CO*: The attack was repelled, thanks to the intervention of the Romulan Star Empire; however, as of right now, the Tzenkethi Coalition is considered to be hostile. We're currently assessing the situation. Continue with your current mission, but consider yourselves on alert.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::tries her comm badge again:: *Hyperion*: Danann to Hyperion... for the love of all that is good, come in.

CO_Captain_Rome: ::nods:: *ADM*: Yes Admiral....Hyperion out.

 ACTION: The viewscreen returns to showing the planet.

CTO_Lt_Feyna: Self: It doesn't rain, but it pours

CO_Captain_Rome: ::thinks that Idrani's efforts thwarting the Sections plans in Romulan space might have been instrumental...with the Praetor lending a hand to Starfleet::

CO_Captain_Rome: CTO: Start training your people in Tzenkethi simulations, I want drills scheduled three times a day.

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::looks worried at the sudden announcement of hostilities with the Tzenkethi::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::swallow hard, hasn't heard a peep from the Hyperion, and can't seem to spot Tac or MED_Viltvogel anywhere. Look sup at the giant spider in front of her, weapon raised:: Spider: We come in peace...

 @ACTION: The comm badge fails again. However, a series of strange calls echoes through the forest. Just as the spiders are about to set upon the away team, a small army of short, furry creatures leap down from the canopy onto the creatures' backs, stabbing down repeatedly with makeshift spears::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::stares in disbelief at the little furry creatures as they make short change of the spiders::

 @ACTION: The spiders thrash about, trying to throw the creatures off their backs, but the spears make short work of their armor, soon scrambling the squishy insides. Eventually, both creatures succumb to the sudden onslaught::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::lowers her weapon, but keeps a good hold of it nonetheless. These creatures look cute, but they clearly know how to hunt. Takes a step forward, to signal she is the Away Team's leader::

 @ACTION: Several creatures slide casually off the carcasses, pointing their spears in the direction of the away team as the rest begin to dismember the creatures.

 ACTION: The viewscreen shifts to infrared, focusing on the estimated location of the away team. While little detail can be seen, two large blobs of heat are apparently, much larger than would be expected of the away team. They also seem to be cooling.

CO_Captain_Rome: NAV: Good job Ensign.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::looks over at the creatures approaching her. Takes a deep breath:: Self: Let's hope this goes better than... ::pushes that thought to the back of her mind, and kneels down, to shorten her taller stature::

CO_Captain_Rome: All: What the hell is that?

[12:24] <@Ines: @XO: Etak! ::seems to frown::

NAV_Ens_OKar: CO: I'm not sssure what to make of it Captain. The sssignature isss much bigger than would be expected for jussst the Away Team.

CO_Captain_Rome: ::stands up:: NAV: There seem to be other smaller signatures around, can you enhance?

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::thinks, extends a hand, palm up, hoping her lessons in galactic diplomacy pay off now:: Ines: Hi. Anyone know of a good motel around here?

Ines: @::recoils slightly, looking confused:: XO: Wae? ::looks around to his companions::

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::tries to focus on the signatures present to see if it is possible to pick up distinctive signatures::

 ACTION: The viewscreen zooms in further, seeming to show two large groups of individuals surrounding a third, smaller group.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::tries to keep her face neutral, but knows she's stiill suffering from the shock of having to run from giant spider monsters. Lifts a hand, rests it on her chin, and extends is slowly once more:: Ines: Thank you. You saved us. ::speaks gently, trying to calm her breathing::

NAV_Ens_OKar: CO: Sssir, the sssmall group ssshould be the away team, but who isss everyone elssse?

Ines: @::scratches lightly at one ear, seeming to make a decision; looks to the others, and they converse briefly. The word 'Bosh'tek' is used repeatedly::

CO_Captain_Rome: NAV: They have them surrounded...but they don't seem to be advancing.

Ines: @::takes a firm grip of his spear and motions further into the dampening field, seeming to indicate for the away team to move:: XO: Bosh'tek!

CO_Captain_Rome: ::looks at the movement on the screen:: NAV: They're moving...track them.

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::keeps the probes tracking the signatures, marking the one that seems to correspond to the away team::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::shows her worry clearly on her face. Shakes her head and indicates the opposite direction:: Ines: We have to go... ::frowns, and mimes walking with the fingers of one hand on the palm of the other. Then points behind her again:: Ines: That way...

Ines: @::growls adorably, but gestures vigrously the other way:: XO: Bosh'tek! Bosh'tek!

CO_Captain_Rome: ::looks at Foxworthy:: CEO: Commander, now is the time for a classic rabbit out of the hat engineering trick. I need comms.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::tries again, winging it:: Ines: Bosh'tek! ::points behind her. Hopes Bosh'tek doesn't mean "Marry me under that tree over yonder"::

 ACTION: A pair of signatures reappear on the Hyperion's sensors; Viltvogel and Douglas.

Ines: @::widens his eyes, quickly reaching out and rapping the XO on top of her head:: XO: Etak! ::points again the original direction, making it seem like it's not up for discussion::

NAV_Ens_OKar: CO: Sssir, we ssseem to have picked up two comm badge sssignaturesss.

NAV_Ens_OKar: CO: It'sss Viltvogel and Douglasss

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::winces with the tap on the head. It didn't hurt much, and she has to work hard not to laugh a little at the absurdity of the situation:: Ines: Bosh'tek, Etak... Umbrella, Doormat... cheesecake. Fine.. ::stands up:: Ines: But. he... ::points at Hill:: Ines: He... goes... That way... ::waves behind her once more::

Ines: @::glances between the two, seeming mildly confused by the reply; he eventually points at Hill, and motions in the original direction::

CO_Captain_Rome: NAV: Try to make contact

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::patches a connection the two members of the away team:: CO: Hopefully they ssshould be coming through now, Sssir.

Viltvogel: :@:pants heavily, seeming to be in a panic:: *Hyperion*: Oh Jesus, Oh shit... Oh no...

CO_Captain_Rome: *Viltvogel*: Viltvogel, report.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ Ines: No, no, no... ::points at self:: Ines: I'll go with you... ::points into the field:: Ines: He... ::points at Hill:: Ines: goes home... that way. Home. Away from the giant spiders that ::winces:: Ines: Your people seem to be cutting into steak-sized chunks. Oh, god.

Viltvogel: @::shouts in surprise at hearing the voice:: *CO*: Captain?! Beam us up, please!

CO_Captain_Rome: *Viltvogel*: Are you in danger? Where is Commander Danann?

CO_Captain_Rome: ::nods to OPS to initiate transport::

 @ACTION: As if on cue, one of the butchers takes a chunk of raw spider and bites into it, staring at the XO.

Ines: @::holds his stick like he's going to hit her again::

aOPS_Fales: ::beams up the members of the away team::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::feels sick. Is very not accustomed to seeing real, raw meat being consumed::

Viltvogel: ::seems to calm down as the familiar confines of the ship appear around her:: *CO*: I... I don't know, sir. There were these giant spider-like creatures. She... she and Hill were holding them off while Douglas and I ran, and- Oh, Douglas needs to get to sickbay!

CO_Captain_Rome: *Sickbay*: Medical emergency, transporter room one.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::looks away from the spider-eating furry man and feels a little better:: Ines: You wanna hit me, go ahead. ::leans over from her standing position and leaves herself open to a good whack::

CO_Captain_Rome: *Viltvogel*: Report to the Bridge and tell me all about it. Sawbones is on her way.

Viltvogel: *CO*: Whatever that field is, sir... it seems to neutralize power sources. Nothing worked while we were inside it.

Ines: @::hits her on the head again:: XO: Bosh'tek!

CO_Captain_Rome: *Viltvogel*: Bring your tricorder, perhaps it caught some scans before it failed.

Viltvogel:*CO* Uh... yes, sir.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::OK, that time, it hurt:: Ines: OK, you know what. Thanks for the save. We'll beam you down some nice fruit baskets, but we are out of here. Hill: Hill, time to go, c'mon. ::turns to leave::

 @ACTION: Several of the creatures surround hill and raise their spears threateningly; several more do the same to the XO.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::raises the TR-116, aiming into the air:: Ines: Now, you guys seem nice, but this is getting out of hand. ::fires a shot into the sky, hoping the blast would be enough to startle them backwards::

CO_Captain_Rome: ::sees Hill's and Danann's signatures surrounded again:: Self: Damnit Niamh...

 @ACTION: Several of them do, stumbling and falling backwards over roots and brush. The leader seems shaken, but maintains his stance, and actually thrusts at the XO's arm, stabbing it lightly.

Viltvogel: ::arrives on the bridge, shaken and dirty, leaves and twigs sticking out of her elaborate hairdo:: CO: S-sir.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ Ines: Ah! ::grits her teeth and stares at him for a long time, finally nods and waves for Hill to follow her into the field::

CO_Captain_Rome: Viltvogel: Who are they? ::points at the infrared dots::

Ines: @::seems satisfied, motioning for the others to follow along behind them, sticking close to the captives::

Hill: @XO: Are we gonna have to eat spider, Ma'am?

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ aTAC: Yup...

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ aTAC: ...but at least they're not trying to eat us, too...

Viltvogel: ::looks at the viewscreen and shakes her head:: CO: No idea, sir; last I saw, there were two large creatures. I took Douglas and ran. I heard a lot of yelling after that, but I didn't look back. ::looks apologetic::

Hill: @XO: As far as we know...

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::trudges alongside aTAC, trying not to look at the dead spider hulks as they pass them::

CO_Captain_Rome: Viltvogel: It's alright, you did the right thing. Take your scans to Commander Foxworthy, see if he can gather something from it. We need to break through that barrier.

<<<Pause>>>


© 2013-2014 Star Trek: Engage All Rights Reserved - All transcripts are property of Star Trek: Engage