U.S.S. Hyperion - 11406.09, Mission #13

"Rosetta"


U.S.S. Hyperion Mission #13

Directed by: C. J. Short

 

 

Starring

 

Einar Sigurðsson as Captain Jonathan Rome

Aoibhe Ní Shúilleabháin as Commander Niamh Danann

Sophie Wakeling as Lieutenant Joanne Feyna

Riccardo Fabris as Ensign Dimak O'kar

Andrew Rice as Cadet Soule Douglas

 

Guest Starring

 

James Greenman as Lieutenant Commander Richard Foxworthy

 

SUMMARY: After arriving at the Betreka Nebula, the Hyperion began its initial survey of the previously uncharted planetary system. Not long after, a large, black scar was discovered, and evidence pointed to orbital bombardment, long ago. Debris from a crashed ship was found, and transporter to the Hyperion for study, where technicians made a chilling discovery: the wreckage was from a Borg vessel.

 

<<<Resume>>>

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::inputs the route to get back to known space as commanded:: CO: Ready to go on your order, Captain!

CO_Captain_Rome: ::sits back down:: CTO: Anything on sensors ?

 ACTION: The Red Alert klaxon blares out as the ship engages Borg protocol.

CTO_Lt_Feyna: CO: Nothing  visible Captain, but now i know what we are looking for, I can make them more sensitive

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::stands on the bridge, takes a second to swallow her panic and turns to OPS:: OPS: Transmit a message to SFHQ. Include our location, and the fact that we have discovered evidence of a crashed Borg vessel of some kind. Ask them to advise.

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: ::turns back from his console after locking out all systems with an encrypted algorithm:: CO: There were no lifesigns in the wreckage I beamed up, it should just be bulkheads and such. I recommend we keep it locked down under quarantine and make a visual inspection.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: ::Looks at the PADD he's been working on, sucks up his courage and walks over to address the Captain with it::

CO_Captain_Rome: CEO: See to it, Commander. If there is life, I want it...taken care of .

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::sees OPS has frozen to the spot:: Self: Dammit. ::turns to TAC:: TAC: Blondie, send the transmission to SFHQ.

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::is kind of twitchy, repeatedly checking the engines again and again to make sure that they are functioning correctly:: CEO: Commander, I'll need maximum warp at a moment'sss notice.

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: ::nods, tapping his ID code into the weapons case on the bridge and pulling out a hand phaser, checking it and slipping it into his belt before turning to address OKar:: NAV: You'll have it, Ensign. Full power to the engines and the shields.

CTO_Lt_Feyna: ::Taps panels to increase sensor sensitivity::  CO: Still nothing Captain

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: ::steps into the Turbolift:: TL: Shuttlebay.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: ::Immediately feels dejected, and turns full about to the comm console:: XO: yes ma'am

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::shifts power from non-essentials to engines and shields::

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: ::Taps his comm badge as the Turbolift flies towards its destination:: *Shuttlebay*: Nobody approach the wreckage, keep the containment field up and wait for my arrival. Foxworthy out.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: ::Begins inputting the vital information required for an emergency subspace communication with Starfleet::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: TAC: Good. When you're done, get to work destributing weaponry to all the bridge officers. ::clears her throat nervously::

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: XO: Commander I have a plan about that. Are you familiar with the TR-116?

CO_Captain_Rome: XO: Inform Medical to initiate Borg protocol.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::stops in her tracks, and looks at TAC: The projectile weapon? Yes. ::tries not to dwell on what a similar weapon managed to do to half of Madsen's head on the screen not long ago::

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: ::steps out of the Turbolift and heads over to the wreckage, only a few sheets of it large enough to hold hidden Borg but it was still frightening to look at:: Security Team: Okay, phasers out. Extend containment around the shuttlebay and lock the bulkheads down.

CO_Captain_Rome: ::crosses his legs and takes a deep breath, trying to remain calm....his thougts traveling back to a time on the USS Scimitar, when he had tried to kill a defenseless drone::

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: ::Sees the distress in the commander's face and lowers his voice:: XO: Yes commander. Designed but not mass manufactured by Starfleet Security. It fire chemically propelled .30 caliber tritanium bullets. It is almost identical to 20th century weaponry.

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::tries to remain calm, but he still remains twitchy, running a few diagnostics to keep himself busy and attempting to dismiss his need for a nice strong drink::

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: XO: And as far as I am aware the Borg's adaptive deflector shield does not provide protection from projectile or melee weapons.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::nods wordlessly::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: TAC: I expect they probably have adapted to it by now, but no-one ever got anywhere on assumptions. What's your plan?

CO_Captain_Rome: NAV: Ensign O'kar, launch a probe to detail the lifesign on the planet. I want to know if there are Borg.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: XO: With yoursand/ or the Captains permission I can get them replicated and handed out to ever security officer on the ship. I would also recomend officers carry a knife and a phaser, just in case. Because we have no way of knowing what we are up against, and I think any advantage is needed.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: XO: There are only two on-board that are registered ma'am.

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::does as advised and launches a probe to the atmosphere of the planet:: CO: Probe away, Captain.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: ::Looks around nervously as he clears his throat and lowers his voice further:: XO: I also possess one, that I personally built and personalised.

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: ::finishes up the first few scans, his breathing coming a little lighter, and looks switching between the worried engineers and security teams before he taps his comm badge:: *CO*: Foxworthy to Rome. There are no signs of drones or Borg nanites in this wreckage. It's clean...and old.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::thinks, looks back at the CO, realises this is a no-brainer and nods to TAC:: TAC: Do it. Keep me informed about your progress.

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: ::nods to one of his engineers to begin running a metallurgy analysis:: *CO*: I've got some of my team running metallurgy on the pieces, but the tricorder suggests this wreckage is practically ancient.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: XO: Thankyou ma'am

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: TAC: And, Cadet... if we get through this in one piece, remind me to have a talk with you about the number of rules an Academy Cadet in possession of an unregistered weapon aboard a starship, has broken, OK?

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: *Security*: All security personel, meet me in the armory for weapon assignment five minutes ago, I will be there asap.

CO_Captain_Rome: *CEO*: How old?

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: ::Looks the commander square in the eyes in ernest:: XO: Yes leftenant commander.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::nods once and lets TAC get to work::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::moves down to the command circle and waits to get CO's attention::

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: *CO*: Ancient, Captain. We're talking about a thousand years.

NAV_Ens_OKar: CO: Sssir, we are getting telemetry from the probe. Initial ssscansss report extensssive flora and insssectoid fauna. Posssssible larger fauna, but ssscansss are inconclusssive.

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: <thousand years, maybe more:

CO_Captain_Rome: NAV: Intensify the scans. If there are Borg, we have to take action against this planet.

CO_Captain_Rome: *CEO*: That is old.

NAV_Ens_OKar: CO: Wait, Sssir, there'sss sssomething weird. An area is completely blank, like the sssensssor ssscansss are being reflected. Will analyssse the area further.

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::sends probe to see if it can pierce the sensory blindspot by flying closer::

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: ::Proceeds the the turbolift, entering and spinning around on entry, getting a good look of the bridge, hoping nothing bad happens whilst he gone:: Computer: Armory

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: *CO*: That's what she said. I'll let you know the results of the metallurgy scans, but I don't think we can expect an attack from the Borg anytime soon. Not unless we go back in time, anyway.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::frowns as she over-hears CEO's report::

CO_Captain_Rome: ::stands up and walks over to the Conn:: NAV: Reroute all probes to that area.

NAV_Ens_OKar: CO: On it, Sssir.

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: ::looks around:: *CO*: Captain, we should call in the USS Xiphos to come and cart this away. It's old tech, but SCE are going to want to get their hands on this.

CO_Captain_Rome: *CEO*: Don't even joke about that, Commander. Find out what happened to that Borg ship.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: ::As the doors close he changes his command, going to swing by his quarters to retrieve 'Boomstick':: Computer: Crew quarters

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::taps her comm badge:: *CEO*: Spanners, can you run a scan for chronoton particles?

CO_Captain_Rome: ::nods to Danann:: XO: Then do as he suggested, call in the Xiphos....we could also use more guns.

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::sends more probes to the area to see if visible spectrum analysis of the area is possible::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: CO: Yessir. ::pauses:: CO: Captain, I have Douglas replicating and distributing TR-116 rifles to the tactical teams, also.

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: ::flips open his tricorder after tucking the phaser away and begins running lowlevel chronaton scan:: *XO*: Negative, Red. Clear for Chronotons.

CO_Captain_Rome: ::scratches his beard:: XO: One rifle per team only. If thing turn sour we don't need a ship riddled with holes.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: *CEO*: Hm. If I was a betting girl, I'd have lost a lot of latinum.

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: ::thinks about it for a moment, checking over his Tricorder scans:: *CO*: Captain, i'm not reading any sorts of weapons traces. It's been over a thousand years, unless you want to take the ship a thousand light years out and have me build a huge telescope to take a look though, we aren't going to know the exact reasons. If I had to guess, I'd say they crashed judging by the crater and the wreckage scattering.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: ::The turbolift doors barely open, before Soule runs through down the corridor to his workshop/quarters. He dashes through his door, up to his bed and drags out a lockbox containing his TR-116. As he collects it, he notices his Klingon Dagger on a mount, deciding to pocket that as well. Before finally running to the the Armory::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: CO: Understood. ::trots up to the OPS console and gently moves the still silent OPS officer to the side, logs in and sends out a request for assistance from the Xiphos::

NAV_Ens_OKar: CO: Sssir, visssuals aren't picking up anything other than vegetation: the area of sssensssor blindnessss is almossst perfectly circular: if it was a natural phenomenon, we would have ssseen variationsss in the shape due to clussstering of sssensssor reflecting materialsss. It's almossst certainly artificial.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: *TAC*: Blondie! One rifle per team. Captain's orders.

CO_Captain_Rome: ::leans over NAV:: NAV: Give me a visual.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: *XO*: Fair enough, commander insert nickname! ::Panting as he spoke::

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::puts up a split image of the area as shown by several different probes on the main viewscreen:: CO: Nothing but the treesss, Sssir.

 ACTION: A visual of the area appears on the viewer; dense jungle-esque tree cover can be seen, and not much else.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::sighs:: *TAC*: Defend our lives now. Joke later.

CO_Captain_Rome: ::straightens his back:: XO: Commander, assemble an away team. Go down there, find out what's behind the curtain.

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: ::steps over to the makeshift setup and checks in with his team, operating one of the metallurgy analysis consoles::

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::commands each probes to display the area in another spectra: infrared, ultraviolet, magnetometric, electromagnetic::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::breath catches in her throat:: CO: Aye, Captain. ::hopes her voice sounds level:: *TAC*: Douglas, AWay Team, meet me in Transporter One in 3 minutes.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::throws the reply from the Sigma Rho over to the CO's console as she turns to leave the bridge::

CO_Captain_Rome: XO: No risks. If there are Borg, return to the ship immediately.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: ::Enters the armory to the onlooks of multiple security officers:: Security: Ladies and gentleman. ::points as his rifle:: This is a TR-116, we have two over there in storage, this one is mine. We need to distribute at least one of these to every team, replicate spares just in case. I would also recommend carrying a knife of some sort with you, because it may save your life. This will take a few hours to implement but I have f

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: CO: You won't have to tell me twice, sir. ::TL doors close::

CO_Captain_Rome: ::checks his console:: XO: I'll have to have a word with the Rho's CO....seems we're on our own for now.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: *XO*: On my way commander. ::Looks at the security officers:: Security: I guess no time for questions..... Get to it people.

CO_Captain_Rome: ::sits down::

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::sighs in dissapointment as the probes show nothing new::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: TL: Transporter Room One. ::can't get that childhood song out of her head, now::

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: ::Catches his breath before once again setting off for a sprint::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::whispers:: Self: I am the Borg. One Two Three. When I catch you, you will be like me...

CO_Captain_Rome: Self: Damn.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: ::Gets in the turbolift just as the doors close:: Computer: Transporter room 1.

CO_Captain_Rome: NAV: Any response from HQ ?

NAV_Ens_OKar: CO: Nothing ssso far, Sssir, will resssend the requessst.

 ACTION: As if on cue, the Hyperion receives a priority hail from Starfleet Command.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::steps out, and trots towards Transporter Room One, doesn't see TAC there yet::

CO_Captain_Rome: ::checks his armrest:: NAV: You must have the magic touch, Ensign. On screen.

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::places the transmission on screen::

Adm_Reynolds: ::an upper-middle-aged Admiral appears on screen:: *CO*: Captain Rome. What's the situation?

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: ::The turbolifts stops, and the doors open, where he sees the Commander walking down to the transporter room. He sprints, yets again, to catch up with her::

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: XO: Commander! ::pants a bit:: Wait up!

CO_Captain_Rome: *Adm*: Admiral Reynolds, sir. The Hyperion is orbiting the planet where we discovered remains of Borg origin. We have initiated Borg protocols and are advising ships to stay away from this area until....we have neutralized the threat, or confirmed there is none.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::hears TAC running behind her and looks around:: TAC: We're bringing Dr. Viltvogel and aTAC Hill with us. We'll need standard Away Team kit, plus TR-116 rifles for you and Hill.

CO_Captain_Rome: ::accesses the console and brings up the scans forwarded from Commander Foxworthy:: *ADM*: According to our scans, the wreckage is over a thousand years old.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: XO: Excellent, Hill's a good shot. Do you have a knife with you?

Adm_Reynolds: ::looks somewhat surprised:: *CO*: Our previous intelligence suggests the Borg were still in the Delta quadrant at that time. Perhaps we shouldn't be surprised, though, given their advanced warp technology. Any traces of living Borg?

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: TAC: I usually rely on my rapier-like wit. But this time, let's give me something more tangible, eh?

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: ::Bends down, lifting his trouser leg up. Removing the the knife he keeps around his ankle and presenting it to Danann::#

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: ::taps his comm badge as he looks up from the results:: *XO*: Foxworthy to Danann. Red, i've confirmed my tricorder results. Can't be exact due to the metallic composition but it's somewhere between 800 and a thousand years old. No nanites, no drones, completely inactive.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: XO: M'lady ::he says with a cheeky smile::

CO_Captain_Rome: *ADM*: We have not picked up any lifesigns of any kind, Admiral. However our scans have shown an area planetside shielded from scans. I have an away team heading down to investigate... if it is the Borg, they will return to the ship immediately and we will take the necessary action.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::looks amused and takes the knife:: TAC: It's nice and warm and everything. ::smirks::

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: ::Smirks back:: XO: Never know when you're going to need it.

Adm_Reynolds: ::nods:: *CO*: Confirm the nature of the threat, Captain. If there are living Borg on the planet, neutralize them. If there aren't, that wreckage could prove useful. Keep us informed, Hyperion.

CO_Captain_Rome: ::nods:: *ADM*: Yes Admiral. Consider it done.

Adm_Reynolds: ::nods, and disappears, replaced by the planet's surface::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::secures the knife behind her phaser holster and clears her throat, looking at TAC, Hill and Viltvogel:: ALL: Ready? ::sees Viltvogel shake his head:: ALL: Me, neither. Let's go. ::steps onto the transporter pad::

CO_Captain_Rome: aTAC: Lock all weapons on that blindspot. Charge phaser arrays and load all torpedo tubes. Fire on my order only.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: ::Looks at the others:: All: If we find any dead Borg, I am so having its hand

 ACTION: The Transporter energizes, sending the away team down to the planet's surface, near the dead zone.

Adm_Reynolds: <aTAC_Williams: CO: Aye, sir. ::locks weapons on the area::

NAV_Ens_OKar: CO: Sssir, do you want me to sssend warningsss on all channelsss or only Federationsss onesss?

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: ::leaves his team to work and makes his way back up to the bridge::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @::hears TAC as they dematerialise. Appears on the planet:: TAC: You see any dead Borg, you steer damn clear, and call it in. Do not make me regret bringing a Cadet on an Away mission.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: @::Locks and loads his weapon:: XO: I wouldnt dream of it ma'am

CO_Captain_Rome: NAV: Send out quarantine buoys....let's not cause a panic, let's just say...Terellian flu.

 SCENE: The planet's surface is warm and humid, a faint mist hovering just above the canopy. While ground vegetation is abundant, it doesn't appear too hard to navigate through.

NAV_Ens_OKar: CO: Underssstood, Sssir. ::sends out the buoys programmed to transmit warnings about a possible flu::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @ ::looks around:: TAC: You're with me. Hill: Escort with Dr. Viltvogel. ALL: Let's get moving.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::taps her comm badge:: *CO*: Danann to the Hyperion.

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::sends one of the probes to stay above the reported position of the away team::

CO_Captain_Rome: *XO*: We read you, Commander.

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: @::Scans the surrounding forest with his eye, constantly magnifying and de-magnifying, focussing on anything that moved nearby::

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: ::steps out onto the bridge and checks into his console, reading the mission updates::

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: @XO: So much foliage. Any number of places to hide

 SCENE: The sounds of insect chirps fill the air, as do some odd calls; birds, perhaps?

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: *CO*: Good to know, sir. We're proceeding on foot, as planned. The ground cover doesn't seem like it'll cause us much of a progress problem. ::hears TAC:: *CO*: But we'll be taking it easy. We can't see very far in any direction.

NAV_Ens_OKar: *XO*: Commander, do you want me to patch through all telemetry from the probesss to your tricordersss? They aren't picking much up, but it might help. Alssso, I've ssslaved one of the probesss to follow your approximate position.

CO_Captain_Rome: *XO*: Commander we have birds in the sky above you which we will use to boost our comms, in case this dampening field interrupts our link.

 ACTION: The team approaches the outer edge of the dead zone. No sign of any artifical structures.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @::feels oddly better about this mission, now:: *Bridge*: Thanks, OKar. That would be very helpful. ::keeps pacing forward in the direction of the blank area::

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::does as he advised, feeding the data to the tricorders of the various away team members::

 ACTION: As the team enters the dead zone, the Away Team disappears from the Hyperion's sensors, as well as the probes.

CO_Captain_Rome: NAV: Try and keep a lock on the away team.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: TAC: You getting that telemetry OK?

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: ::folds his arms and watches the viewscreen quietly:: CO: I don't feel right about this planet, Captain. There's something we're missing.

NAV_Ens_OKar: CO: Sssir, we lossst contact. The team AND the probe that was following them! ::attempts to reroute another probe to stay out of the dead zone::

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: @All: Holy shit.... my eye.

CO_Captain_Rome: ::Takes a deep breath:: NAV: try and get a visual at least.

CO_Captain_Rome: CEO: I share your concerns, Commander. Keep your eyes open and your ear to the ground.

NAV_Ens_OKar: ::tries to focus the camera of the probe on the last known location of the missing probe::

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: ::turns towards TAC:: TAC: What is it? ::waves Dr. Viltvogel over to TAC::

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: @::Starts rubbing his face in pain, before yanking his prosthetic eye out the socket before his hand also begins to fail:: XO: My implants....

NAV_Ens_OKar: CO: Sssir, it appearsss that the probe that was above them lost contact with their tricordersss. Like they aren't present at all.

CEO_LtCmdr_Foxworthy: ::spins around and begins running a full ground sweep using the sensors of the Away Team's last known position::

 ACTION: As the Away Team looks after the Cadet, movement catches Hill's eye. Long, chitinous legs spread down from the treetops, landing on the ground almost silently. A massive, multi-eyed creature stares the crew down, and looses a terrifying screech.

CO_Captain_Rome: All: We assumed this would happen, let's give the AT time. They know to return to report in 30 minutes.

XO_LtCmdr_Danann: @::looks alarmed, slams her hands into her comm badge to report back, and is met with that sickeningly dead sound of a comm badge with no connection:: ALL: What the hell?

TAC_Cdt_Douglas: @::Closes his empty eye and aims the TR-166 at the creature with his good arm::

<<<Pause>>>


© 2013-2014 Star Trek: Engage All Rights Reserved - All transcripts are property of Star Trek: Engage