U.S.S. Atlantis - 11504.08, Mission #1040

"The Opening Shots"


 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

BEGIN SIM

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

BEGIN SIM

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

BEGIN SIM

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

CO: Five minutes to New Edmonton.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

CSO: Anything on long-range sensors yet?

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Is finishing up with the Q-T torpedo. Tentatively wiping the sweat from is brow, as he finishes the infusion process::

 

<CEO_LtQuinn>

:: Has, since the initial EPS connections were made, tidied up the holo-generator access, setting the cabling beneath the deck.  We'll have that extra power, if needed, and without the tripping hazard. ::

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

XO:  Negative, Admiral.

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

:: works quietly at her off-center chair ::

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

Bridge: We may beat them to the punch just yet.

 

<SCI_LtJG_TLira>

:: lifts eyebrow and continues to peruse the shield harmonic readings ::

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

All: Slipstream flight termination in one minute.

 

<MED_Ens_DrSlade>

CMO: Good thing we have not shut down the casualty bay, we may need it again :: Looks at Tav who seems lost in thought over the pending mission::

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Closes up the casing of the torpedo and backs away cautiously, taking a deep breath before programming the computer to store it ready for loading.::

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

All: Stand by for transition to normal space.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

*=

 

<CMO_Dr_Tav>

:: is back in Sickbay, the thoughts of Crewman York still swirling around in his head. Losing a crewmember under his care, no matter that there was no chance. It registers in his mind that Dr. Slade was talking to him. :: MED: Sorry, Doctor?

 

ACTION>

Atlantis and Discovery drop from the slipstream.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

All: Normal space. Drift.... just under 51 AU.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Taps his commbadge:: *CO*: Captain the Quantum-Tricobalt warhead is ready to be loaded into the torpedo tubes when you deem necessary, sir.

 

<MED_Ens_DrSlade>

CMO: Are you alright sir? :: Picks up a tricorder and proceeds to scan Tav::

 

<CMO_Dr_Tav>

MED: I'm fine. I'm sorry. I just share your feelings about Crewman York, as illogical as it is to feel guilt. Doesn't mean we don't experience it, eh?

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

*ENG* Understood. Please contact the bridge through proper channels in the future, Ensign.

 

<MED_Ens_DrSlade>

CMO: Indeed sir, and now here we go again into yet another battle. I dont want to lose anyone else sir! :: Stares off into sickbay, expecting the worst with the coming hours::

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

CSO: Anything in the system out of the ordinary?

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

*CO*: Understood sir.

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

:: looks up from her small console and angles her head towards Science, curious herself ::

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

CO:  :: shakes her head, turning to look at him :: Negative, Admiral

 

<CMO_Dr_Tav>

MED: The blessing of what we do is that we save so many. I am so glad we live now and not a couple hundred years ago. But we can't save everyone. Don't ever let yourself get used to it.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

All: Then let's plan an ambush.

 

<MED_Ens_DrSlade>

CMO: I assure you sir, I wont! :: Looks back at his Dept Head with the face of complete sincerity ::

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

CSO: Is there any natural feature of this star system we could use to briefly conceal our presence?

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Stares at the warhead for a moment, feeling very much like Frankenstein and his monster. Leaves the room, handing it back to the previous officers.::

 

<CMO_Dr_Tav>

:: snaps out of the melancholy mood :: MED: You did very well back there in the surgical bay. Between Doctor Nolan and now you, my life is getting easier and easier... or so I thought before we found ourselves in this mess. We'll get through it.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Makes quick pace to the turbolift.:: TL: Computer, Bridge please.

 

<MED_Ens_DrSlade>

CMO: It is nice to know that this is a real mess to even you sir. Not the normal day to day! :: Breathes a sigh of relief:: CMO: Im going to round on the patients that we still have sir. If you will excuse me

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

CO:  The fifth planet has an elaborate ring system integrated with multiple small moons.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::The doors close and it starts to go up.:: TL: Belay that. Engineering. Double time.

 

<CMO_Dr_Tav>

MED: Of course.

 

<MED_Ens_DrSlade>

:: Nods to the CMO and begins to round on the few patients continuing to recover::

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

Hmm. Perhaps we could slip into the ring plane, providing our shields can take it.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

:: looks to T'Kirr :: Do you think that they can?

 

<CEO_LtQuinn>

:: Stands over a console near to the core, doing a quick after action diagnostic on the power transfer and field stability during flight and as they exited out of slipstream.::  Looking more and more stable all the time.  Not bad.

 

<SCI_LtJG_TLira>

:: listens closely to the discussion :: Bridge: Perhaps using the planet's magnetic poles would provide cover from enemy sensors.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Leaves the turbolift into engineering.::

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

CO:  I think we could slip in behind one of the moons and become part of the field with relatively low risk.

 

<CMO_Dr_Tav>

:: heads to his office to get a few office tasks done before all hell breaks loose again. ::

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

:: looks to Blackthorne after studying her console :: CO: I believe they can.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

All: Many options. Let's get there and find out. NAV: Take us to that planet. CSO: Signal Discovery our intentions and signal the colony with a warning.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

CO:  Aye, Sir.  :: immediately begins transmitting the requested signals ::

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Looks around, deciding on taking back up the position of maintaining the shields.::

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

NAV: Aye sir, engaging at warp five.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

:: noticing something on long-range sensors ::  CO:  Sir, looks like we've got bandits approaching.  Currently at extreme range.

 

ACTION>

Atlantis and Discovery arrive at the magnificent ringed gas giant. The planet is a light orange with deep whorls of clouds.

 

<XO_Cdr_TKirr>

:: stares at the main viewer ::

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

All: Assuming their sensors are worse than ours, we have a few minutes to figure this out.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

CO:  They haven't altered course.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

CSO: Will their approach course take them by this planet?

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

CO:  Aye, Sir.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Takes a deep breath, feeling better about going into battle this time, primarily because he is no longer directly atop a bomb.::

 

<SCI_LtJG_TLira>

:: scans the planet's magnetic rings to test her theory ::

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

All: Convenient. Options?

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

:: not being a tactical battle person, waits for others to chime in first ::

 

<SCI_LtJG_TLira>

:: thinks about the potential options :: CO: Perhaps using sensor probes to fool the enemy into thinking there are more of us then there actually are?

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

SCI: We want them to think there are none of us, at first.

 

<SCI_LtJG_TLira>

:: thinks about this again... ::

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

CO:  We can mask our presence by hiding behind this moon with the stream of dust particles behind it.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

CO:  Then once they fly by, we can come out shooting from behind them?

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

:: nods :: CSO: OK. Like Enceladus and its ice.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

NAV: Take us in.

 

<NAV_Cdr_Harper>

CO: Aye sir. :: gracefully arcs Atlantis toward the icy moon ::

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

Discovery>

:: is on auto-follow ::

 

ACTION>

The two ships slip into the trail of icy dust that the moon is spewing.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

:: gets up and walks over to Tac, looking over T'Kirr's shoulder :: All: Shields are holding nicely.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

::Notices the tiny spike in the shields as the ice microparticles interact with them.::

 

<SCI_LtJG_TLira>

:: runs a long-range scan to try to get an accurate number for the Tzenkethi ships and formation. Not working so well with the auxiliary sensors. ::

 

<MED_Ens_DrSlade>

:: Walks out of sickbay to the TL down the corridor:: TL: Dock 3

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

All: Now we sit and wait.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

CSO: What is their ETA?

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

CO:  About 20 minutes, Sir.

 

<CEO_LtQuinn>

:: Notes the same and runs a simulation on potential hull stress if the shields were dropped. ::

 

<MED_Ens_DrSlade>

:: TL door opens, steps off the TL and walks to the make shift casualty center checking in with Dr. Perron and Nurse Nightingale::

 

<CEO_LtQuinn>

:: Looks over to Ilaihr. ::  ENG: I'm going to recommend we shut those down, since they seem to be going for low observability up there.  But stick around.  I imagine we'll need them before long.

 

ACTION>

As time passes, we can see one heavy cruiser and six light cruisers on sensors.

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

CEO: With our new fangled shield emitters, we could always modify the shield geometry as we do at slipstream; to allow the particles to flow more freely around the ship.

 

<CEO_LtQuinn>

ENG: We COULD.  But the sophisticated approach isn't always the best.  

 

<MED_Ens_DrSlade>

:: After making sure the bay is in good working order he walks out back to the TL:: TL: Bridge

 

<SCI_LtJG_TLira>

:: Isn't much liking that heavy cruiser on the scans ::

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

CEO: The hull should be able to take it. If 21st century probes could survive similar conditions, Atlantis will.

 

<MED_Ens_DrSlade>

:: TL Doors open and I take a deep breath and steps out, walks over to the XO and hands the PADD with patient status and bed availability:: CO&XO :: Sorry to bother, just doing my rounds thought I might drop the report off personally

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

CEO: But don't answer the airlock if you happen to hear something knocking outside. ::Smiles::

 

<CEO_LtQuinn>

:: Activates the comm. :: CO: Engineering to bridge.  I'm guessing down here that we're sitting here to get the drop on that fleet.  If so, I've run a hull stress analysis, and it's well within tolerance if we lower shields to minimize our power output.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

*CEO* Understood. Thank you, lieutenant.

 

<CSO_Lt_Wright>

CO:  Looks like a heavy cruiser and six light cruisers, sir.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

:: nods to tactical to lower the shields, which we do ::

 

<CEO_LtQuinn>

*CO* Aye, sir.  And not to worry.  I've already closed the bussard collectors down tight.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

All: Versus a Sovereign and a Galaxy. We can do it, but it will be tough.

 

ACTION>

Discovery follows suit and lowers her shields, and the two ships are assailed by ice pellets.

 

<MED_Ens_DrSlade>

:: Seeing the high amount of stress on the bridge, makes his way back to the TL:: TL: Sickbay

 

<SCI_LtJG_TLira>

CO: Are there any reinforcements in the area?

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

*CEO* Naturally.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

SCI: Just us, we were the only available ships with slipstream.

 

<SCI_LtJG_TLira>

:: really isn't liking these odds at all ::

 

<ENG_Ens_Ilaihr>

Self: Hmmm, sounds like wind chimes in a gale.

 

<CEO_LtQuinn>

:: Smiles as shields go down, and turns up the audio, listening to the soft clattering sound as the ice impacts against the hull. ::  All: You know, I may just make a recording of this.  Help me get to sleep at night.

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

PAUSE SIM

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

PAUSE SIM

 

<VAdmBlackthorne>

PAUSE SIM


© 2013-2014 Star Trek: Engage All Rights Reserved - All transcripts are property of Star Trek: Engage