U.S.S. Bremen - 11501.22, Mission #41

"The Second"


<GM_Aoibhe>

USS Bremen - Stardate 11501.22 - Mission # 41


<GM_Aoibhe>

The Second, Part 10.


<GM_Aoibhe>

The crew has been split into two. One group, all humans have been forced to change their clothing, and remove (where appropriate) their legs. They have now found themselves deposited on a dirt road, surrounded by rough underbrush, having been beamed there en masse.


<GM_Aoibhe>

The second group, all non-humans, are currently in a holodeck holding room of some kind, being treated kindly, but indifferently, by the ship they were on. They will be held here for the “duration of their natural lives”.


<GM_Aoibhe>

<<<Pause>>>


<GM_Aoibhe>

shit...


<GM_Aoibhe>

<<<Resume>>>


@<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

::Looks down at the tricorder, as she continues to search for an access panel::


<GM_James>

::adjusts his bulky clothing as he steps over to the group:: TAC: Chief, see if you can give Tony a hind finding us something sensitive to poke.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::taps at his Tricorder while resting his weight on the battered crutch:: CO: Sir, I am not reading a holographic matrix...


ACTION: a cart, filled with bolts of cloth and baskets of ribbon appears in front of the CO. Part of his "Parisi merchant" disguise the voice had mentioned.


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::pacing slowly around the room in the holodeck::


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@::Nods at Griffiths and tuns to face Adalberto:: CEO: What do you need done?


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

CEO: How's that possible? ::glances at the cart and gestures:: It's obviously a hologram.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@CO: No sir, it's real. It has mass. ::passes him the tricorder to see:: What we are seeing, it's all real.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@::turns to look at the Chief:: TAC: A large glass of whiskey, some kodein and a good bed to rest in.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::frowns down at the readings before handing it back:: CEO/TAC: Is must be some sort of matter replication technology.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@::accepts the Tricorder:: CO: Considering the planet, I think we are Jonah, and this is some whale-ish forcefield.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@::bites down as another sharp pain runs up his leg, or what's left of it::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@CEO: The tricorder picked p some kind of signal beacon out in the waste. Can you get a clearer signal?


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@CEO: Alright, I'll see what I can find! ::Shakes his head and looks at the cart::


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

::Wanders slowly, finding the back of the holodeck, realising it's a relatively small space for so many people::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@CO: I'm try sir.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@TAC: Sorry chief, just a bad day.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

::still wandering about outside, feeling the walls for even a hint of a panel. oh, it better not be higher than she can reach...::


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

Self: There's nothing here, nothing the tricorder can find anyway


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@::boost the gain on the Tricorder::


ACTION: It's higher than CSO can reach.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@CEO: Yeah, certainly looks that way.. ::Glances at the engineer's leg:: Still, I agree on the booze.


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

::Sits on a comfy looking chair, and flips over the tricorder, checking if she can improve it's detection::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@TAC: This place better have real booze too. ::adjusts his Tricorder's range::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@CO: Sir this is weird, I'm trying to get a lock on this beacon but it's one of the old frequencies, mostly out of use today. But I think I have it.


ACTION: A steady beeping noise emanates from CEO's tricorder. "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP", then a pause, then it repeats.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

CO: Sir, I suggest you and Chief Harlan take the Tricorder and seek it out, I will follow at my own pace...


<AUX2_Ens_Wren>

self: least it is not cold.


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

::Starts the tricorder up again, seeing if any of the readings improve, with minor success::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::tilts his head slightly as he listens:: CEO: It doesn't sound like Morse Code...::looks back up at Tony:: Alright, you keep playing out this scenario, take Mor and Thompson with you while the Chief and I check out this signal.


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

CSO: There are fluctuations in the matrix. ::Points at the wall:: Here, and here.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::nods and hands the Tricorder over to the Captain:: CO: Aye sir. We'll see what we can find out...there's some smoke on the horizon, perhaps we can find supplies there.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@::Nods at Griffiths and follows:: CO: Old signal eh. Curious..


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

::tilts her head and moves over to feel:: AUX: What kind of fluctuations?


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

CEO: Take care of yourself, Tony. Don't get into any ass-kicking competitions. ::gives the man a brief smile before turning and joining the Chief, heading in the direction of the signal with the Tricorder to lead:: TAC: It's odd, I'll give you that. This entire thing is odd...This whole place is replicated, and that seems like a colossal waste of energy and resources. You'd need a power source the size of a planet.


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

CSO: A weakness in the holomatrix. ::Bangs the tricorder against her hand:: But that's all I'm getting at the moment. Maybe we could overload the matrix?


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::rests on his crutch, taking in the scenery:: Self: Looks like home.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@::Frowns and looks down for a second:: CO: What if it is?


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

All: Mor, Thompson. Head east, let's see what we find eh?


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

AUX: Overload it and make this whole program short circuit. Then we wouldn't have to even find a panel, the door would be right there. Any way we can do that with your tricorder, or anything electric? ::waves her PADD::


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::listens to the scientists::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::frowns slightly:: TAC: Or it isn't, and this isn't a real tricorder.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@TAC: Or...::shrugs:: I don't know, but I'm getting sick and tired of it.


<AUX2_Ens_Wren>

:: listens too for anything se could do to help::


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@CO: Equally possible, but it's all we can try for now.


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

CSO: Could we find a way to combine them, and create some kind of feedback loop before introducing it...somehow....to the matrix.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@CO: Yeh, i'm not one for games either.. ::keeps walking on::


@<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::limps on, following the two officers::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::watches the Tricorder, eyes flicking from the device in his hand to the horizon::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@TAC: About five minutes away at this pace, let's put that PT to good use. ::picks up the pace::


<AUX2_Ens_Wren>

Aux: would hitting it seem too simple?


ACTION: CEO's team find the road broadening as they near the village, the smell of wood smoke, and meat cooking wafts towards them. Also, the smell of animal dung...


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@::Follows in step:: CO: Check.


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

::Looks around the room:: CSO/AUX2: How do we get fed in here? Or entertained? Could we just, maybe, ask for what we need? As long as it seems we have a natural need for it?


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@Self: Charming smell.


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

CSO/AUX: An entertainment system. Or a replicator? We cannot eat holographic food and water


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

AUX: Surely, if it's a federation-type holodeck, that wouldn't be unreasonable to expect.


ACTION: The CO and TAC jog across the uneven ground, and spot a grassy mound in the near distance.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::raises his hand to his head as he watches the grassy mound come into view:: TAC: That might be our place. ::checks the tricorder readings, jogging easily as he does::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@::limps across the ground, nearing the village::


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

::thinks about certain natural needs and how some privacy for that would be nice...:: AUX: Maybe it gets teleported in.


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

::Looks over at MED:: MED: Exactly. And there are bound to be components in the power driven items that we can use to help overload the system


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

ALL: So, who wants to be brave and ask first, and what should be ask for?


<AUX2_Ens_Wren>

AUX: I do not mind being the one to ask. but what for?


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@::Looks around while jogging along:: CO: A beacon in a mound, hopefully with a door as well..


<GM_Aoibhe>

@ <Young Woman>

::runs out of the village to greet the team.:: CEO: What have you got? What are you selling?! ::the woman has tanned skin, wild dark red hair and deep brown eyes. She's barefoot, about 25, and dressed in a simple shift dress and cloak::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::slows down as they near the mound, checking his tricorder with one hand and his phaser beneath his jacket with the other::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@::smiles at the young woman, eyeing her up and down:: Woman: Depends.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@TAC: I'm picking up some EM reading from the mound as well, there's power in there.


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

AUX2: How about...a media system?


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@::Eyes the tricorder:: CO: Any life signs?


<AUX2_Ens_Wren>

AUX: you think It will go for that?


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::glances at the Chief and shakes his head:: TAC: Nothing.


<GM_Aoibhe>

@ <Young Woman>

::scrunches up her nose, looking at the assembled team:: CEO: No merchandise, and a too few legs among you, I see... ::laughs:: CEO: You'll be a sorry lot before too long, but.. ::sighs:: CEO: The gods frown on those who don't offer hospitality. On with you, now. ::gestures into the village and walks off::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@::grins and reaches into his pocket:: Woman: How about gold....I guess that's worth something around these parts?


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

AUX2: It will be a test. We will see what the holodeck will provide, and how they provide it. And a media system is pretty harmless.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

AUX: We could just keep asking for different things until they work, anyway


<GM_Aoibhe>

@ <Young Woman>

::pauses in her tracks, and looks back:: CEO: Might be worth a bowl of broth...


<AUX2_Ens_Wren>

:: nods and shrugs:: All: no harm. So we just shout and it'll respond?


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@::Looking for any sort of entrance:: CO: Good, I guess..


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@Woman: A bowl my arse, it's worth a lot more than that.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@::holds his commbadge in his outreached hand::


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

AUX2: As long as the controlling, thing, understands we are talking to it, then it should work


<GM_Aoibhe>

@ <Young Woman>

::takes the badge and examines it:: CEO: I'll let you keep the bowl. ::grins broadly::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@::snatches the badge back::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::walks carefully around the mound the other direction, checking for an entrance as well::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@Woman: I don't think so kiddo, let me deal with an adult and we'll see. There's plenty more where that came from.


<AUX2_Ens_Wren>

Voice: Oh mystical over-baring voice! We have some requests?!


ACTION: The CO and TAC find no entrance, but the EM signal is concentrated not far below the surface on one side of the mound.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@TAC: Nothing on this side, Chief. ::takes the tricorder and begins scanning for open access ports to activate some kind of entrance::


ACTION: The holodeck birds fall silent, the water stops flowing in the tasteful water feature.


<AUX2_Ens_Wren>

::pauses and looks around::


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::suddenly notices the distinct lack of birdsong::


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

ALL: We got someone's attention


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

AUX2: ...Well, it certainly heard you... Go on and ask for something. A couple somethings.


<GM_Aoibhe>

@ <Young Woman>

::rolls her eyes and moves into the village some more.:: CEO: I can see why you have no goods to sell. You can't tell a bargain when you see one. But luckily for you, you're here in time for the great feast.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@Woman: Please, this is worth at least a few night's rest in your inn young lady.....but I like your style. ::winks::


<AUX2_Ens_Wren>

::coughs an straightens self:: Voice: Are we allowed some things? Each other's company can get tedious, could we request a media system or some reading material?


<AUX2_Ens_Wren>

<median>


<AUX2_Ens_Wren>

<media>


ACTION: Leather-bound, paper print books appear on a selection of topics. A Jane Austin novel, a Mills and Boon series, an instruction manual on motor-cycle repair, a set of encyclopaedias...


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::shakes his head:: TAC: Nothing. Time to go for a little more brute force. ::tucks his Tricorder into his belt and shrugs off the bulky cloak, reaching under his jacket and pulling out the phaser::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@TAC: Stand back, Chief. ::sets the phaser on a level 4, wide-angle beam and takes aim at the top of the mound, waiting for Harlan to move before firing::


<AUX2_Ens_Wren>

::frowns and picks one up:: All: Well we got something. But these are old... very very old.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@::Takes a few steps back from the target area:: CO: Clear.


<GM_Aoibhe>

ACTION: Beside the books, appears a PADD, containing a similarly vast selection of musical classics.


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

AUX: Commander. Look, the PADD.


<GM_Aoibhe>

<Young Woman>

::chuckles:: CEO: I haven't even got shoes. What makes you think I own a whole inn? ::Grins at him:: CEO: Your people aren't from these parts, are you?


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

Almighty Voice: My hobby consists of designing and building small working versions of computer systems. May I please have the tools to continue my past time?


<AUX2_Ens_Wren>

::flics through the books:: self: incredibly out of date for an up to date system. Voice: Thank you, Stay in touch!


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@Woman: We come from....far away actually. ::smiles:: Can you show me to someone who would be interested in what we have to sell ?


ACTION: A small selection of electronic parts and small rudimentary tools materialise at AUX's feet.


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

::Beams a smile at the team around her:: ALL: Ask, and we shall receive! Now, what do we have?


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

AUX: Is that enough?


ACTION: CO fires, and the mound begins to evaporate under the beam. A shiny object starts to appear under the soil; a smooth, shiny surface.


<AUX2_Ens_Wren>

AUX: a PADD. some tools and pieces. Is there anything else you think you will need?


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::moves his aim slightly, eradicating the soft earth above the shiny object, uncovering a good portion of it before ceasing fire and holstering his weapon:: TAC: How does it look, Chief?


<GM_Aoibhe>

@ <Young Woman>

CEO: Aye, I will. Then you should see our medicine woman. You're dripping all over the place. ::looks at him with faint discomfort:: CEO: Alanna will deal with you. She'll be in the long hall already, preparing for the feast.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@::raises an eyebrow:: Woman: Alanna? Yes, yes. Please...I do need a Doctor.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@::Inspects the object:: CO: It looks like a computer console, but a seriously old one..


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::steps over to it with his tricorder, scanning it in detail:: TAC: Very old...Let's see if we can get anything from it. ::hands Harlan his tricorder then steps up to the console and tries to access it::


ACTION: As TAC steps closer, the console activates. Lights and data flicker across the screen before everything settles.


<AUX2_Ens_Wren>

All seeing Voice: I am some what a television fan. Is there any way that could be arranged? I would hate to miss my shows.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@::Takes the tricorder and keeps scanning::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@::follows after the young woman::


<GM_Aoibhe>

@ <Young Woman>

::waves him into the long hall, into the stifling heat of a giant room with a giant fire down the centre:: CEO: Sit, try not to bleed, and I'll get the healer. You can owe me a favour. ::winks and disappears::


ACTION: A television screen appears embedded in the holodeck wall.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@::smiles:: All: Guys, sit down and try to look normal.


<AUX_LtCmdr_Jameson>

::Throws the tricorder to shHruvek:: CSO: Check to see if that's real for me


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@::Is surprised at the sudden activity:: CO: Okay, that's.. unusual.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::glances up at Harlan with a tilt in his head:: TAC: What is it, Chief?


ACTION: The screen shows a series of files, in a language that looks vaguely like Roman text, with a few odd symbols thrown in. Nevertheless, it is clear that the top file on the list is a video file.


<AUX2_Ens_Wren>

all: that voice isn't as chatty as when the captain was here. so that is now a hole in the wall? take off the front and that should bare the internal electrics no? :: looks at the screen:: self: everything is just... old.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

::fumbles but recovers the catch:: AUX: I'd imagine as real as anything else in here... ::scan scan::


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@CO: There seems to be a video message here. Come and take a look.. ::extends hand and slowly reaches for the screen::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::glances back at the screen, manipulating the controls to activate the video file:: TAC: Let's see what it is.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

ALL: Seems like it's good. I think Wren's right. We could pry this thing off...


ACTION: A woman, dressed in a simple shift dress and a heavy woven cloak appears oon the screen. She stands silently for a moment before she begins to speak...


<GM_Aoibhe>

<Screen Lady>

ALL: My people... ::smiles:: If you are seeing this recording then you have achieved the level of technological understanding we had hoped some day you would. I am proud of your progress. ::nods solemnly:: ALL: I am your ancestor. I, and many others came to this place in your distant past for a very important reason; survival. The survival of humanity...


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::raises his eyebrows with a hint of shock:: TAC: Interesting...


<GM_Aoibhe>

@ <Screen Lady>

ALL: Our species originated on a planet called "Earth". There, we evolved, learned, created belief systems, languages and cultures too many to count. We grew and prospered, much as I hope you have. ::smiles once more. Data appears down the side of the screen the woman is speaking. Most of it is related to Earth, but the list contains the names of the anthropologists::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

@::warms himself by the fire, looking at his surroundings:: All: This isn't too bad.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@::Can't do anything but blink and nod, focussed on the video::


<AUX2_Ens_Wren>

::picks up PADD:: all: assuming that has full battery it could be used to loop the power from inside the television and over power the cabling?


<GM_Aoibhe>

@ <Screen Lady>

ALL: We left our home once we were capable of travel among the stars. In our time, humanity has stepped into the great abyss, and has met many other sentient species. This gave us pause... Never in our own history has one isolated race survived long after contact with others who are stronger. The Vulcans, Andorians... both are species with technology more advanced than our own, and though they are not overtly hostile, they are not the only ones we have come to know.


<GM_Aoibhe>

@ <Screen Lady>

ALL: So we few set forth in secret, to set up a "time capsule" of human culture. You are descended from those who chose to adopt the Celtic way of life. Our children will be raised to believe in the Celtic gods, Celtic justice, Celtic morality. They will be instilled with every aspect of Celtic culture to life and breath it once more. I hope, at this stage you have grown up enough to realise the myths we left for you, the gods, the stories, are not truly real, but we hope that the morality they teach has remained with you. ::smiles sadly::


<GM_Aoibhe>

@ <Screen Lady>

ALL: We, the originators, will not live to see your triumph, but... others may. For you are not alone in your splendid isolation. There are other groups. I implore you now, to prepare, build ships, set forth once more into the heavens and find your brothers and sisters. ::star charts, with dots and arrows in many directions are displayed alongside the woman's recording::


<GM_Aoibhe>

@ <Screen Lady>

ALL: We hope that those who may harm humanity in our time have seen to their own destruction by your time. Perhaps humanity hasn't survived this calamity... We hope the heavens are yours for the taking, now.


<GM_Aoibhe>

@ <Screen Lady>

ALL: Blessed be, my descendants. May the road ahead of you be smooth, may the sun forever shine on your back.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::frowns a little more with each word, wondering at the audacity of those original colonists::


ACTION: The screen goes blank, the woman's face replaced with a very large number, slowly counting down.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

@::Blinks at the number:: CO: Ehhm..


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::runs his hands over the console, trying to find out what process has activated the count downs:: TAC: I see it, Chief. I don't like countdowns.


<GM_Aoibhe>

<<<Pause>>>



© 2013-2014 Star Trek: Engage All Rights Reserved - All transcripts are property of Star Trek: Engage