U.S.S. Bremen - 11501.08, Mission #39

"The Second"


<GM_Aoibhe>

USS Bremen - Stardate 11501.08 - Mission # 39


<GM_Aoibhe>

The Second, Part 8.


<GM_Aoibhe>

The crew of the “Vergh'mej” recently “landed” on Tau Ceti Beta, an L-class planet with an Oxygen/Argon atmosphere that contains poisonous particles, and a marginally hostile environment. Sounds cozy.


<GM_Aoibhe>

The ship has deteriorated since it crashed, with the hole in the side of the bridge causing a running fault to cross the bridge roof and cause it to implode. (You can thank Gunther for that idea, folks...) The crew prudently retreated to the Engineering section which, while in a state of disrepair, at least is a little more structurally sound. While there, the Captain attempted to send


<GM_Aoibhe>

out a distress signal only to find it blocked by a dampening field about 2 kms above ground level.


<GM_Aoibhe>

With multiple microfractures, and energy levels fluctuating and causing faults in the emergency forcefields, poisonous gasses from without are seeping in slowly.


<GM_Aoibhe>

<<<Resume>>>


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::shrugs back into his leather jacket, zipping it up to keep in his body heat - It'll start getting a whole lot colder soon enough::


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::reluctantly puts on an EVA suit::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

TAC: Chief, what've you got on the shields? Any idea where the power fluctuations are coming from?


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

::sits at whatever station is handy, trying to fiddle with getting some kind of sensor data on what's killing the comm signal::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<Ens_Willis>

::slips into an EVA suit as if putting on a jacket, wearing the thing like a second skin:: MED: Where to first, sir?


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::makes his way to the corridor and, taking a deep breath, looks out into the void:: Willis: I'm guessing the mess deck.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Trying to route as much power possible to the air filtration, concentrating hard, meanwhile keeping an eye on shield charge:: CO: Well, since almost every system on this boat is starting to fail, I'm not sure we can get stable power to them, let alone maintain it...


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::leans over the console with a frown:: TAC: We have a ship full of spare parts to scavenge from. Can't we just hook a mainline ODN relay between the backup batteries, the shields and the CO2 scrubbers?


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

TAC: It doesn't have to be pretty.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<Ens_Willis>

::nods to his partner and the Doctor:: MED: Yessir. ::checks that he has a phaser, tricorder and that his O2 sats are looking good, then waits to follow everyone else::


ACTION: CSO's console flickers and sparks occasionally, but apart from the light-show works surprisingly well, considering.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

CO: Believe me, it won't. ::Frowns:: Well, primary conduits seem fried, luckily the backups are holding for now. They've got trouble keeping up, but I'm trying to level 'em out.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

Self: Small miracles. ::sighs::


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::takes another deep breath, then starts out::


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Brings up a schematic view of the power wiring and traces the working conduits with his index finger, trying to run the maze::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

TAC: Cut power to any non-essential systems, by hand if you have to. That should drop the load on the power systems and hopefully keep it stable. We don't need weapons, gravity, primary sensors, et cetera, just limited deflectors, oxygen, heat and if we can scrounge up a replicator then that too.


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::tries to make his way down the corridor, following his tricorder::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::puts on a confident grin:: TAC: Survival is the name of the game, Chief. Everything else is just gravy. ::pats the man on the shoulder, then moves off to check on Raqiin::


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

CO: I'm not going to be able to tell you much about our communications issue without a little more power here, too. But even if I could tell you what it was, I can't make any promises of being able to fix it from here. Could try rotating the frequencies, see if something's able to get through...


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Nods:: CO: Most of that is down, except for sensors. ::Motions towards shHuvek:: She's still on 'em.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<Ens_Willis>

::steps along carefully, checking his readouts as he goes:: MED: Suit pressure holding, atmosphere is reading as normal as this rock gets.


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

Willis: Good to hear it. Just talk to me when something's wrong, would you? ::finds the door to what he thinks is the mess hall and tries to open it::


ACTION: The bulkheads around MED's position make ominous creaking noises.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::nods carefully, looking at the console to check the various readouts:: CSO: Can you set the tricorder to automatically rotate through the frequencies until it finds one it likes better?


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::looks up worriedly, but tries not to let it show::


ACTION: Mess hall door opens, swirls of airborne particles swoosh around MED and his team from within.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<Ens_Willis>

::looks around warily at the sound of creaking:: Self: If I can hear it, it means there's atmosphere, nothing to worry about.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

Self: Great.. hardwired torpedo power line... ::Grabs a set of work gloves and walks over to the link, then tries to pull out the plug::


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::tries not to be distracted by the particles and enters the mess hall::


ACTION: Every undamaged comm badge crackles and pops with the 24th century equivalent of static.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

CO: That part I can do without an extra power boost. ::reaches for the tricorder--which she almost drops at the static::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<Ens_Willis>

::makes his way slowly towards the mess, wincing at the crackle in his ears:: MED: Is that you?


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Frowns at his noisy commbadge, but keeps pulling the power line, hard::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::raises an eyebrow slightly:: CSO: Did a signal get through? ::taps the comm badge on the desk, the one that had been sending out a distress signal:: Comm: This is Captain Griffiths, please repeat.


ACTION: A voice breaks through the static. *ALL*: Unknown vessel... attention... identify immediately.


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

Willis: Nope. Must be a problem with the comm badge. See what you can find in here.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

CO: They must have enough power to bust through the noise. Or they're much lower in atmo than a standard ship in orbit...


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::looks around and finds some supplies, hoists them into his pack::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::turns his head and flashes a grin at Raqiin:: CSO: Let's hope it's the former. ::turns back to the comm badge, tapping it again:: Voice: This is Captain Rhodri Griffiths of Starfleet, please confirm receipt of transmission.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Stumbles backwards as the power line connector gives way::


ACTION: Mess hall looks worse than it would after a Klingon birthday party. Tables are broken, chairs over-turned. The entire room is filled with the planet's atmosphere.


<GM_Aoibhe>

<Voice>

*CO*: Identify crew... full compliment... survivors... missing.


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

Willis: Time?


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Dusts himself off as he gets back to his feet, then goes to check power stability again, too concentrated to mind the comms::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<Ens_Willis>

MED: Tee plus thirty-two, sir.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::tilts his head slightly at the odd inflection in the voice:: Voice: I repeat, please confirm receipt of transmission. This is Captain Rhodri Griffiths of Starfleet, general distress signal.


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

Willis: Let's make this snappy.


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::collects the last things he can find and makes his way back to the door::


<GM_Aoibhe>

<Voice>

::repeats, impersonally:: *CO*: Griffiths, I demand you identify crew... full compliment... how many survivors... any missing? Respond as requested.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<Ens_Willis>

::throws as much as he can into a container, watching his partner do the same, packing ration packs and water in as tightly as possible before following the Doctor with it all in hand::


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Doesn't see any improvement on the fluctuations at all and bangs his fist hard on the console:: Self: Crap! ::Looks up as he vaguely noticed comms static::


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

::huffs lightly:: CO: Odd way to start a rescue operation.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::turns slightly with a nod of his head, lowering his voice:: CSO: I don't think they want to rescue us.


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

Willis: Right, cargo bay.


ACTION: Slowly power demands decrease, thanks to TAC's magic skills.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

CO: We don't have the manpower or the means to fight anyone off.


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::sets off to the cargo bay::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::looks back at the comm badge:: Voice: My ship crash landed on this planet, crew compliment is two, myself and my first officer. No casualties. Now it's your turn.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

::turns back to her station, thinking that maybe she should recall the others back to engineering, but--hold on:: Self: Oh, that's looking better...


<GM_Aoibhe>

<Voice>

*ALL*: Confirming you claims. Stand by...


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Blinks at the readouts and wonders if it was the plug or him hitting the panel that helped:: All: Ow..kay.. seems we got some stable juice to spend.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::mutes the comm badge with a mutter:: TAC: Good work, Chief. Now grab a phaser, I think the people that shot us down are on the line.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

CO: Sensors are now picking something up--there's something sitting one km over us. Must be a small shuttlecraft of some kind.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

CSO: A shuttlecraft? What kind of powerplant is it running, any weapons?


ACTION: The ground just to the north of the crashed vessel erupts with phaser fire, rocking the Vergh'mej violently


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::grips the console with both hands, rocking with the motion of the ship to lessen his jolting around:: Self: Dammit! ::slap the badge on the console:: Voice: Whoever that is, hold your damned fire! What do you think you're trying to prove?


<GM_Aoibhe>

<Voice>

*CO*: Lie again... our aim improves.


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::tries to keep upright as the ship rocks:: Willis: What the hell?


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

::clinging to the station:: CO: Well, we know they have fully working sensors, at least.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Nods:: CO: Right on it! ::Moves over to the table where he arranged all remaining guns and grabs a phaser rifle, then gets shaken around:: Self: Whoa!


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::grits his teeth:: Voice: If you had sensors enough to scan my vessel, then why did you even bother asking?


ACTION: Overhead bulkheads collapse in front of MED and his team, impeding their progress.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Shifts the rifle's settings to max hit and range::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<Ens_Willis>

::covers his head with the box, trying to keep out of the way::


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::jumps out of the way:: Self: Whoa!


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Grabs a second one and hands it to shHruvek:: CSO: Better keep this close.


<GM_Aoibhe>

<Voice>

*CO*: Assessing you. Drop shields... prepare for transport.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::rolls his eyes:: Voice: We don't have any atmospheric pressure onboard, dropping our shields would be suicide. If you're going to help us, you'll need to land, we can extend our shields out to your docking hatch.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

<*Voice*>


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Hears that comm and blinks, twice::


<GM_Aoibhe>

<Voice>

*CO*: Deep breath. Drop Shields.


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

Willis: There's nothing we can do here now. Let's get back to main Engineering.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

Self: Deep Breath indeed. ::turns to Harlan:: TAC: Chief, you're in charge. I'm going to step outside the shields and let them transport me up, I'll either get killed or I'll contact you from their ship and beam up the rest of the crew.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

::eyes go wide:: CO: They don't seem like the negotiating type.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Grabs a breathing mask and throws it at the captain:: CO: Aye, be safe.


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::makes his way back::


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Knows there aren't enough masks left for all of 'em and sighs::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::grabs the mask and nods:: CSO: I figured that too. But they want something, or they wouldn't be here. ::straps the mask to his face, then taps the badge again, his voice slightly muffled:: *Voice*: I'm stepping outside of the ship, I won't put my crew's life at risk until I know you're genuine. Transport me when ready. ::nods to his crew then steps out into the corridor, finding a breach and pulling himself through it into


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

CSO: Let's keep a lock on his vitals. I'll see that power stays up..


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

::nervously nods:: TAC: I know where they've come from. And thanks to your power boost, I know that there's an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere there. So...at least if we get taken there, we can breathe easily.


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::enters main engineering as he sees Griffiths leave through the breach::


<GM_Aoibhe>

<~CO_Capt_Griffiths>

the colder atmosphere, knowing he won't survive very long outside of these shields::


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

CSO: Breathing as a captive of risking to suffocate as free folk. Nice, open choices, eh.


ACTION: Without another word from the voice, the CO is beamed up to a Federation-style vessel consisting of one, large space lined with computers and scanners. In the centre of the room is a master console. CO is surrounded by a forcefield as soon as he materialises. No-one else appears to be present.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

TAC: I know which one I'd prefer. The one that gives us more chances.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::keeps his hands at his sides as to not appear threatening:: Voice: Whoever you are, show yourself!


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

CSO: Um, what did I just miss?


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

MED: Oh. Hi. Um, we got contacted by either abductors or rescuers, and the captain demanded he go first so he could find out if it's safe for us or not. Surprise?


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Nods at shHruvek in agreement and sees Tomesu enter::



ACTION: Voice booms out from all over mystery ship's single room. <Voice>

CO: Order shields dropped. Crew must be removed. Vital.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::gawps for a minute:: Self: Bloody great, it's a computer.


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

CSO: Not exactly.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@*All*: Everyone, grab your equipment and a breathing mask. If you're in EVA stay there. Then drop the shields, it's safe....enough.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::mutter quietly:: Self: It's always a bloody computer.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

*CO*: Aye sir, give us a moment. All: Well, they didn't kill him, so that's a sign. Let's grab our things then...


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

MED: Better keep that mask on for now... ::Hears the comm:: All: Anyone who's got a breathing device, strap it on! Those who haven't, the person next to you will share if needed.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

@::looks around the empty room:: Voice: Tell me, what are you? Why are you here?


<GM_Aoibhe>

<Voice>

CO: Need to know basis. Silence.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

All: Ready? Here we go... ::Drops shields::


<GM_Aoibhe>

<<<Pause>>>





© 2013-2014 Star Trek: Engage All Rights Reserved - All transcripts are property of Star Trek: Engage