U.S.S. Bremen - 11412.04, Mission #34

"The Second"


<GM_Aoibhe>

USS Bremen - Stardate 11412.04 - Mission # 37


<GM_Aoibhe>

The Second, Part 6.


<GM_Aoibhe>

The crew of the “Vergh'mej” are entering the Tau Ceti system. The ship has seen better days, but at least now, the damn thing is visible once more.


<GM_Aoibhe>

Dori d'Aru Nex had indicated the Tau Ceti system as a possible destination for the anthropology team they are attempting to retrace. The system consists of a G-class star, similar in brightness to Sol, three planets, in order... Alpha: M-Class, Beta: L-Class, Gamma: M-Class. Both Alpha and Gamma are heavily populated, with, understandably no habitation on Beta...


<GM_Aoibhe>

<<<Resume>>>


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::rests one elbow on his chair, cupping his chin in his hand as he stares at the viewscreen on their entrance into the Tau Ceti system::


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Watches the viewscreen doing its whizzy thing as he waits for the tactical sensors to power up::


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::sat in sickbay, finishing his reports::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::keeps a hold of a loose piece of hardware in Engineering:: All: Anyone know what this is ?


<GM_Aoibhe>

ENG_Huxley>

CEO: We were using that to hold open the blast doors' mechanism, Chief! It's glitchy...


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::sighs:: ENG: This is why you tell your Chief about things like that....go check the door Huxtable.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

CO: Well, we know Beta's right out, unless we happen to find some ship crash landed there. So the other two...already have populations. Hard to know exactly where to start.


<GM_Aoibhe>

<ENG_Huxley>

CEO: HuxLEY, sir... Darwin... Huxley... ::sighs:: Self: Not like it's a difficult set of names to remember... ::trudges off to fix the door... again::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::throws the bent piece of to Huxley:: ENG: Thank you Huxtable.


<GM_Aoibhe>

<ENG_Huxley>

CEO: Yes sir... Happy to.. ::notices CEO has wandered off already::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::sits down by the Chief Engineer's station and brings up the latest reports....:: Mac: Mac, why hasn't the heating been fixed yet?


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

CSO/CO: I'd go with Beta first. Easier to scan without the popular interference.


<GM_Aoibhe>

<ENG_Mac>

CEO: It's on my list, sir... right after I fix all the squeaky chairs in this ship. They are...er, very distracting. ::smiles sheepishly::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

Mac: No, no more chairs. People can stand for all I care, but I need a good night's sleep.....you snore.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::taps away at the console::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::scratches his chin lightly:: CSO/TAC: I'd agree with that, we can focus purely on the geophysics without life signs clogging everything up.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::brings up a live feed from the Bridge::


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

::frowns at her notes:: TAC: You could start a sweep of Beta for any long ago crashed ships. CO: But I've got another idea. I'll let you know what comes of it. ::turns back to her science station and begins a basic sweep of each planet for biosigns::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

aNAV: Take us into a low orbit of Tau Ceti Beta ::glances over to the science station:: CSO: Begin a scan of the planet, see if you can match up anything in the records we have with physical locations there.


<GM_Aoibhe>

<ENG_Mac>

CEO: I won't *tell* you what *you* do, sir. ::looks put out, and stomps off::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::opens a commlink to the Bridge:: *CO*: Captain, Tony here.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::clicks up the comms:: *CEO*: Go ahead, Tony.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

CSO: Right on it, as soon as these scanners are at full cap, or somewhere near to that anyway. ::Nudges the console to try and help it speed up::


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

::leans over to another console to see if she can't multitask a little and--hm:: CO: Sir, I'm getting a reading from Beta. It isn't much, but it's...odd. A slight energy reading fluctuating.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

*CO*: Just listening in here sir...is he population in this system warp capable ?


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

*CEO*: There are no indigenous species in Tau Ceti, it's all colonists.


<GM_Aoibhe>

<aNAV_Bleet>

::tunes back in:: CO: Yessir, initiating strafing run now!


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Finally sees the lights go teal:: Self: Ah! ::initiates the programmed scan::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

:;blinks, glancing down at the conn:: aNAV: Just an orbit will be fine, Crewman.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

*CO*: I see...then as to not incite panic, perhaps we should inform the settlements why there's a Klingon Bird of Prey in the skies above sir. ::smiles::


<GM_Aoibhe>

<aNAV_Bleet>

::looks crestfallen, thought he was about to live out a fantasy:: CO: Yessir! One steady orbit coming up, hold the mayo'...


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::chuckles quietly:: *CEO*: There are probably sixty different species and thirty different types of ships around Tau Ceti Three right now. One more won't make a difference, and the quieter we are the better. Have you never been to Tau Ceti III, Tony? I might have something to show you once this is over...


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

*CO*: I'm an Engineer sir. I rarely get to go out.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

Self: Things tend to fall apart if I do.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

OPS: Ensign, can you give me a read on what that energy from Beta is?


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::flashes a quick grin:: *CEO*: We'll have to fix that too. Thanks for the input, Tony, let me know if anything breaks. Griffiths out. ::clicks off the comm and goes back to watching the viewscreen::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::kicks the chair back and places his feet on the console, his hands behind his head:: Self: I -could- use a drink..


<Ops_Ens_Mor>

Bridge: Well these signals I'm picking up, they're definitely of the cloak variety but don't carry any equipment signatures attributed to known cloaking tech. All i know is that someone is trying to be clever


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

CSO: See if you can pinpoint the source. It's odd that any sort of cloaking device would give off a signature, perhaps it's malfunctioning?


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

::antennae perk up with curiosity and tries to hone in on a location::


<Ops_Ens_Mor>

CSO: The signal isn't particularly unusual. Its signature is conventional just not on a tri band frequency that we have catalogued


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Frowns and wonders why his scans don't show anything yet:: CO/CSO: Or of a primitive build, maybe.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

TAC: Earth didn't have cloaking tech back then, that I'm aware of, but still, it's something. CO: Northern continent, sir, I've got it.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

::just to be sure, she runs a scan for any biosigns. there shouldn't be any, but to be safe...::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::nods:: aNAV: Geosynchronous orbit above that spot, Crewman. ::sits back in his chair:: CSO: See what you can get on the area.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Nods at shHruvek and narrows his scanning bands accordingly::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::listens in on the conversation on the Bridge, more and more impressed by sh'Hruvek by each moment of this trip::


<Ops_Ens_Mor>

Himself: Peekaboo whoever you are


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

OPS: See if you can pick up any sort of transmission or communications signals in subspace around that area, if someone is hiding down there they have to be communicating.


<GM_Aoibhe>

<aNAV_Bleet>

CO: That's my favourite type of orbit, sir, I'm on it!


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

CO/CSO: I'm getting some sort of energy reading from that spot. Very faint, but increased nonetheless.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

TAC: Can you tell what type of signature it is? Power, a weapon? I'd rather not learn about sub-orbital defences just as we get shot at.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

CO: No biosigns, as it should be. As an L-Class, there's barely anything of note down there, no colonists, barely any vegetation. Rocky weather patterns, toxic atmosphere to most. But it could be there's something left over from some ill-fated ship.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::looks around the Engine room, enjoying the calm while it lasts...wonder's if Nia is equally bored not being able to fly the Hyperion::


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Blinks as the reading disappears again:: CO/CSO: Or I was, it's gone now.. ::Sees his panel blink again:: And back. It appears to be cyclic in nature.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::scratches his chin:: CSO/TAC: It could be a distress beacon.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

OPS: Anything on subspace, Ensign?


<Ops_Ens_Mor>

CO: Nothing sir, just ambient inference....


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

TAC: Maybe conserving power?


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::leans back in his chair, staring at the planet on the viewscreen quietly:: *CEO*: Tony, what're your your thoughts on the feasibility of an away team down there? I'm not sure we have reliable EVA.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Tries to narrow further down, cutting empty frequencies, then sees a sudden rise in the readings:: CO/CSO: Whoa, energy spike!


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::blinks, glancing back at Tactical:: TAC: Shields up!


ACTION: A bright orange phaser blast shoots out from the planet's surface, streaking directly towards the Vergh'mej through space.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Hits the shields panel:: CO: Aye!


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

aNAV: Take us to a higher orbit!


<Ops_Ens_Mor>

Self: Shiiiiiiit


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

Aloud: Never just a routine science mission...


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::falls back off his chair::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::stands up and dusts himself off:: *CO*: I think we have other matters to deal with right now sir! I recommend we break orbit, this ship is in no condition to take hits like that!


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::runs over to the Tactical station::


ACTION: The blast hits the starboard ventral hull, blasting away some of the Vergh'mej's outer shell. The shields raise as a second shot fires out, connecting harmlessly with the shields.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::grips his chair as the ship rocks udner fire:: *CEO*: Get a damage control team on it, Tony!


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::feels the shudder in sickbay as the phaser blast hits. Quickly gets up and preps triage::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

OPS: Open a channel, let them know we're a Federation science team!


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

*Bridge*: Bridge, shields are holding but that first blast took out a piece of our ventral hull plating! We can maybe take 2 shots of that magnitude before the shields give out!


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::snaps his fingers:: Mac: Mac, you're in charge. Get a damage team down there!


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

CO: We can't possibly think to send an away team in a shuttle if they're going to get blasted out of the sky. Maybe in EVA suits, we could transport down, shut down whatever defence system is firing.


<GM_Aoibhe>

<aNAV_Bleet>

CO: Sir that blast must have hit navigation control! I can't manoeuvre us!


<Ops_Ens_Mor>

Bridge: Hull breach, deck 4. Full atmospheric decompression in compartments 5c-7a. We are leaking bad!


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

CSO: Whoever it is down there, if it's even the thing we're looking for, isn't friendly. This is quickly turning into a scrubbed mission, Lieutenant.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Eyes the shields panel as it flickered slightly::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::curses:: *CEO*: Tony, seal off those sections! Lock it down and don't worry about damage control, just reroute the systems.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

aNAV: Screw navigation, Emergency warp speed now!


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

*CO*: Already on it, Cap'n! But this isn't the Bremen here....


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Sees the other panel go red:: All: I see another spike rising!


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

TAC: Full power to those shields, Chief!


ACTION: A third phaser blast connects with the ventral shields, causing them to fail and putting the Vergh'mej into a sickening spin.


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::clutches the biobed as he feels the ship starting to spin::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::grabs the sides of the console as alarms start blaring:: ENG: Huxley, full power to shields and navigation! Ignore the hull breach!


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

CO: They were at full before the first blas.. Self: Ack! ::Clutches the sides of his panel::


<GM_Aoibhe>

<aNAV_Bleet>

Self: aaaaaaargh!


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

::bites back a comment about if they had a ship in better condition--but instead she grabs her station and hopes she can hold onto her lunch::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

*CO*: Captain, you have emergency power to shields and impulse engines. Warp is still operational!


<GM_Aoibhe>

<aNAV_Bleet>

CO: Sir! I can't get anything to respond! ::hangs on to his console, thumping it and getting nothing back::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::adds:: Self: For now..


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

aNAV: I see that, Crewman!


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

TAC: Target the source of that weapon and fire, Chief!


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::accesses navigational control:: *Bridge*: Bridge, using thrusters only can you get us into slingshot position?


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

CO: Arming torpedoes, sir! Our disruptors need aiming, and that's out of the equation..


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::grips his console, gritting his teeth and scowling in a terrifying visage:: *CEO*: Conn isn't responding, Tony! If you can activate the warp drive from there, do it now!


<GM_Aoibhe>

<aNAV_Bleet>

CEO: If you can even out this spin, we may be able to disable that weapon down there!


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

*CO*: Captain, I don't recommend that! This ship is in bad shape....the hull stress combined with the gravitation pull of that planet could tear is in half..


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::laughs almost maniacally as the ship careens out of control in orbit:: TAC: You've never shot a stationary target from a spinning position, Chief? Time for you to start living!


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

CO: I've been in a damn war... ::Hits the disruptor command as the planet swings by the viewscreen::


ACTION: The planetary weapon fires again, missing this time. It's hard to hit a spinning target!


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::attempts to fire thrusters to stop the spin::


ACTION: The Vergh'mej's disruptor hits close to its mark, but doesn't make contact as it swings past.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

OPS: Blow open the cargo bay on the port side, use the decompression to correct our spin!


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::takes a deep breath:: Eng: Huxley, reroute all we have to the SIF....we're going into warp.


<GM_Aoibhe>

<aENG_Huxley>

CEO: Are you out of your mind?!


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

aENG: You heard the Captain!....just get it ready if we have no other option!


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::snaps open the comm again:: *CEO*: Tony, give me what thrusters you can, we're going to try and correct our roll by decompressing the cargo bay!


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

*CO*: aye Captain, I'm attempting to stabilize the ship right now!


ACTION: CEO's thrusters help regulate the Vergh'mej's spin.


<Ops_Ens_Mor>

::Wraps on the console, piecing together the commands:: CO: Captain if i do a full decompression on the port side followed immediately by a 1/3 decompression on starboard it should right us enough.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Grumbles while he disruptors recharge:: CO: Torpedo's can't get a lock. Targeting sensors can't keep up with the spin!


<GM_Aoibhe>

<aNAV_Bleet>

CO: Sir, we're down from a crazy spin to what I'd call a gentle roll...


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

OPS: Do it, Ensign!


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

ALL: Firing in 2, 1, now! ::Hits the fire button of the cannons as the planet swings by again::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

*CO*: Captain, without navigation I strongly suggest we try to bounce her off the atmosphere using thruster control.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::watches the viewscreen as a pair of green disruptor bolts scream towards the surface::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

*CEO*: Do what you can, Tony


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

*CO*: Aye sir. ::brings up the scans of the planet and starts running the numbers::


ACTION: Torpedoes sweep towards the planet-side target, hitting their mark expertly. The weapon on the planet ceases firing, as the Vergh'mej lists to the starboard and begins to spiral gently towards the surface.


<Ops_Ens_Mor>

::Recalculates starboard decompression to compensate for the decreased spin:: CO: Here we go!


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::slams his fists against the console:: *CO*: No good Captain...we're already past that point.....we need to slow our descent immediately. I'm rerouteing emergency power to shields, thrusters and SIF..


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::his hands works fast to input the commands::


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

All: Direct hit, the weapon appears to be down! ::Sees the targeting sensors decrease in range:: Self: Oh..


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

TAC: Nicely done, Chief. ::shifts in his chair against the roll::


ACTION: A group of off-duty officers come gasping into Sickbay. Burst blood vessels in their exposed skin and blood shot eyes indicate they were close to the hull breach when it happened.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

*CEO*/OPS: See if you can use the cargo bay decompression to push us away from the planet, it might be enough to counteract the gravity and get us into a stable orbit.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

*CO*: I'll do what I can sir.


<Ops_Ens_Mor>

CO: No joy Captain. Only have 50% atmosphere on starboard side and nothing left on port. Wont do much


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

CO: Are we going to crash land??


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

Patients: Right, let's get you sorted. Sit down there and I'll check you guys over ::grabs the medical tricorder::


ACTION: The Vergh'mej is starting to look pretty small compared to the ever-growing planet beneath them.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

All: This thing has atmospheric landing ability. If the landing thrusters are still ok, we can use them to slow our descent!


<GM_Aoibhe>

<aOPS_Klerksdorp>

MED: Doc... have you ever had your face almost entirely sucked off your skull? ::looks totally shaken by the experience::


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

Klerksdorp: Twice. Don't worry, you'll be fine in no time. I promise. Let's get you on the biobed ::grabs once again for the dermal regenerator::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::snaps his fingers with a nod:: TAC: Good thinking! aNAV: Lower the landing struts, use the increased friction to slow our descent.


ACTION: The ship begins to shake as it encounters those first few atmospheric particles


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::reroutes all power he can manage into the deflector controls and SIF::


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

*CEO*: Tony, we're going to land this bird. Push everything you have to shields and the SIF. Life support as well. If we don't land, it'll be useless anyway.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Eyes the con:: CO: With your permission, sir. I've landed a K'tinga before.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

Self: Which hadn't the capability...


<GM_Aoibhe>

<aNAV_Bleet>

::is staring wide-eyed at the viewscreen as things start to get really serious::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

*CO*: With all due respect sir, I say we do not compromise life support...we won't last a day down there without it....but you will get your power, no worries.


<CO_Capt_Griffiths>

::glances over at TAC with a nod:: TAC: Take the conn, Mister Harlan.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

ENG: Shut down that warp core and secure it!


<GM_Aoibhe>

<aOPS_Klerksdorp>

MED: My life flashed before my eyes, doc... I could feel the moisture being pulled out of my skin as I hung on... I... ::shudders:: MED: I think I may have wet my pants...


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Nods at the captain as he runs over to the NAV station, shoving Bleet to the side:: CO: Right, here goes... ::Fires the landing thrusters in a patters opposite to the ship's spin::


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

CSO: Run over to TAC ans hit the fire button on the disruptors once we enter the atmosphere, it will slow our forward momentum!


ACTION: The Vergh'mej starts to even out, her nose turning a little towards the planet as the atmosphere begins to thicken around them. Thunder storms and clouds of noxious gasses can been seen on the viewscreen as the descend.


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

Klerksdorp: That's actually a part of what happens when you're nearly blown out into space. It's actually in the textbook, so don't sweat it. And while I'm not the counsellor, I'm empathic enough to know Commander Jameson's going to need to keep her door open.


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

::startled, but nods and sprints over to the weapons controls. fire button, fire button--this one?::


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

CSO: The big red one in the centre! ::Having trouble keeping up with the thruster sequence::


ACTION: Consoles start to spit and hiss, the hull creaks under the heat and pressure as it builds, the temperature in the ship increases, too, to an uncomfortable level, much to ENG_Mac's dismay...


<CSO_LtJG_shHruvek>

TAC: Right! ::she totally knew that--hitting it, even while doing so, the console spurts some sparks at her::


ACTION: The ground starts to rise up to meet them very fast, a flat area to the fore is visible on screen.


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Sees the atmospheric altimeter drop rapidly ans bites his teeth hard:: All: Impact imminent! ::Fires all landing thrusters simultaneously::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::pushes all power to shields::


ACTION: MOST of the thrusters fire, sending the Vergh'mej into a skid as it impacts with the ground. One nacelle touches down first, shields take some of the impact, but the ship itself digs into the loose shale and dirt and careens down a plateau, finally coming to a halt half buried, half broken in the middle of a thunder storm.


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::is thrown straight across Engineering, landing in a pile of broken pipes, one impaling him straight through his chest::


<MED_Ens_Tomesu>

::falls as the ships lands::


<CEO_LtCmdr_Adalberto>

::looks down at his chest, his head still ringing:: Self: Bummer.


<GM_Aoibhe>

<<<Pause Mission>>>


<TAC_CW3_Harlan>

::Grabbed hold of his chair and felt a had panel coming down, before all went dark::



© 2013-2014 Star Trek: Engage All Rights Reserved - All transcripts are property of Star Trek: Engage