U.S.S. Sentinel - 11410.13, Mission #17

"Grey Area"


Summary

 

The U.S.S. Sentinel is now harbouring an Asylum-seeker instead of an apparent criminal, and her government is bearing down on them with a warship and an anrgy captain at it's helm. There's 20 minutes until it arrives and they still have only a slight idea as to why there are subspace tears stealing components from the ship. Let's rejoin our heroes as they get to the bottom of this problem...

 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Resume Mission >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

::Is at the Science station, going through the sensor logs, trying to get to the bottom of these subspace tears::

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

NAV: Is there any chance we can outrun these people?

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

CO: Recommend contacting Starfleet Diplomatic Corps to deal  with this little problem.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::scans the propulsion systems of the other ship::

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

NAV: I'll give them the details. And hope that we make it there in one piece FOR them to deal with.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Stands on the bridge next to her chair, watching over the situation::

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::nods:: CO: Sir, their estimated top speed is Warp 8.4. As long as our warp coils don’t disappear we should have no problem outrunning them.

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

Computer: C'mon yer wee ginni bastard, run the friggin' scans, and gimmie the reports faster, we dunni have time fer ya shite!

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

NAV: And yet the chances of that happening seem to have increased as of late. XO: Have we gotten anywhere with our investigation?

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

::Normal sensors indicate nothing unusual other than trace residue readings of the previous tears:: Self: Bah, blast, damn, and bledy shite. Gonna need more intesive scans then.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::looks at the message from Astrometics:: CO: Odd.. these little subspace tears, they’re almost like eddies.. and it seems as we move, we’re dragging a little cloud of them.. almost like we’re moving through water. Very interesting, Captain - and I don’t know what’s causing it.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

CO: Not entirely, no sir. Just more questions

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

NAV: Think that will play havoc with our friends?

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

Computer: Computer, extrapolate for me the general specifications of a device that would be capable of opening these spatial tears based on the sensor data we've accquired thus far, assuming its an artificial phenomena.

 

<Computer>

SCI: There is currently no device with these specifications on record.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::shakes his head:: OPS: They appear to be too small to be easily detectable, so I do not think they will have a large effect, but I’m having Astrometrics continue their analysis.

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

Computer: Computer! What the power requirements? You need a lot of power to tear a hole in the fabric of space-time.

 

<Computer>

SCI: Insufficient data.

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

OPS: Any response from the Diplomatic Corps?

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Moves over to Tactical::

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

::More results from the scan come in:: Self: Well, bledy hell. ::Shakes his head at the computer:: CO: Cap'n I've been able to extrapolate some valuable information on these spatial rifts.

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

SCI: Well? Do tell.

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

CO: Apparently they are passing the issue to the JAG of this sector. That's all they have said in response.

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

OPS: Dosn't exactly help us deal with our pursuers does it?

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

CO: The faster we go, or larger our warp signiture is; it warps these subspatial eddies, and as they tangle together, they open the tears.

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

SCI: Are you saying being at warp might not be in our best interest right now?

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

::Grimaces:: CO: Aye sir. But, we might be able to use it as an advantage somehow.

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

::Hears mention of JAG officer:: OPS: Lieutenant. I have the training to be a JAG officer, Sir.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Looking over the TAC console:: CO: 5 minutes out sir....Their shields are up and weapons armed.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

CO: Sir, the approaching ship is agitating the eddies worse. If they’re related to our items disappearing, we may want to move off from them, or warn them off.

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

XO: Might as well respond in kind. Raise shields. But try hailing them.

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

SCI: When we meet up with them, you can say hello and offer your help. ::hails the pursuing ship:: CO: Hailing now, sir.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Raises shields::

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

::Nods at Baudin:: OPS: Aye sir.

 

ACTION: Captain Niis' face blinks up on screen, an anrgy scowl looking out over the Sentinel bridge.

 

<Captain_Niis>

@*CO*: So you've finally decided to see sense and hand the prisoner over, Captain? Good, we await transport.

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

*Niis*: Well, you'll be waiting awhile longer. In the meantime however, I'd advise you reduce speed and give us some distance. We're detecting some odd anomalies that will only be exacerbated by your presense.

 

<Captain_Niis>

@::scoffs heartily:: *CO*: Another Federation ploy? We detect no such anomalies. I warn you, Captain, I have come prepared. ::nods to his communications officer::

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

*Niis*: Yeah, I didn't really expect you'd believe us, I can have my science officer send you the information we have.

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

Self: We need some way of drawing these anomalies away from the ship. ::Ponders::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Frowns and looks at the console again:: CO: Captain....2 more Feinisian warships have appeared on our sensors.

 

<Captain_Niis>

@::continues to look smug, sitting back:: *CO*: No, Captain, no more of your lies. You will give me the prisoner you rescued or I will take. Her. By. Force.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::punches the mute button very quickly:: CO: Sir, just say the word and we go to warp. I don’t recommend letting these ships get any closer. The effects on subspace could be disastrous… if only we knew why. ::resumes the transmission::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Stares down at Captain Niis through the screen, waiting patiently::

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

*Niis*: So just so we're clear here, you're rejecting my attempts to warn you about these anomalies. I just want to make sure I'm getting the details right for when I submit my report to Starfleet Command about why your ship exploded.

 

<Captain_Niis>

@::scoffs and cutts the comm::

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

Computer: What would the effect on the anomalies be if we fired a tricobalt infused quantum torpedo? Would the subspatial field drag or distabalise the eddies?

 

ACTION: Niis' face is replaced by a starfield and three ships dropping out of warp a few kilometres off the Sentinel.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

CO: Captain, the Lead ship is charging her weapons and the other are moving to flanking positions.

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

OPS: What are our odds looking like here if we fight it out?

 

<Computer>

SCI: The yield on tricobalt devices would need to be in excess of fifty-thousands teracochranes to create a subspace rift capable of destabilising the eddies.

 

ACTION: As an answer, the Sentinel rocks sharply as the lead ship pounds her with energy weapons.

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

CO: Recommend getting the hell out of here, sir. One we could take, but three is trouble.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Rocks slightly:: CO: Minimal Damage. Shields at 98%.

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

Self: Well bledy hell thats a big bang. It could tear a chunk outta supspace. ::Waves XO over to run the idea past her::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

SCI: No offense, Ensign. I'm needed at Tactical. If you need to talk to me, get over here.

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

::Walks up to the commander:: XO: I....have an idea....

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

SCI: I'm all ears

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

SCI: What is it?

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::initiates evasive maneuvers:: XO: Recommend returning fire, focusing on the lead ship.

 

ACTION: The Sentinel rocks again, a little harder this time sending crew stumbling at their stations.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Looks to the CO: CO: Are we engaging sir?

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

CO & XO: If we infuse a quantum torpedo with tricobalt, we could use it to distabilise the subspatial eddies around the ship....and friggin gun it outta here. Cuz the yield would need to be atleast 50 thousand teracochranes

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

XO: Evasive maneuvers only for the time being, try and buy us some time.

 

ACTION: The Sentinel launches into action, weaving a deft path to move herself out of range of the lead ship and away from the flanking vessels.

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

SCI: Would it have any effect on the enemy ships?

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

CO & XO: It'll be an unholy friggin bang. If they dont get away from it fast enough it could at the very least leave them a bit shagged.

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::taps out a quick reply to Astrometrics:: CO: It appears the eddies are attracted by energy weapons. They’re heading towards the lead ship.

 

ACTION: The Sentinel rocks a third time as two vessels open fire on her retreating form, consoles sparking wildly, one crewmember on the bridge tumbling down the steps and rolling.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

CO: Shields at 80% sir. We need to make a decision now, sir.

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

CO & XO: And the subspatial tear would be maybe half a kilometre long, but it would envelop itself.

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

SCI: Alright Hamlet, I love this plan, make it happen. Maybe send a few torpedos there way to drag the eddies in their direction.

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

::alerts sickbay:: NAV: Does that mean we make them keep firing until the ensign here gets his bomb ready?

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::punches a new maneuvering sequence:: OPS: Sounds good to me, as long as I can keep some of these shots off us!

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

::Nods at the captain:: CO: Its going to be beautiful captain. ::Moves back to the science station::

 

ACTION: On the viewscreen, the weapons array on the lead ship lights up green, energy travelling along it until it's ready to be thrown across space in an energetic lance of destruction. Except this time, there's an explosion, subspace ripping itself asunder centred on the front weapon emitter. When the debris clears, there's a gaping hole in the hull where the weapons array used to be

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Looks up at the lead ships new hull decoration:: CO: Well I'll be...

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

::Uplinks the science console with the torpedo launchers, and starts putting in the calculations for the tricobalt to be infused into 4 quantum torpedoes::

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

CO: Captain, their shields are offline, and they've taken heavy damage. Life support is failing, engines are failing and weapons are just gone. Other ships moving away. We doing another rescue mission?

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

CO: Well sir, the torpedoes wont be ready for 10 minutes atleast.

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

SCI: Seems like we won't need them afterall.

 

<OPS_Lt_Baudin>

CO: Incoming hail from the Kuun-Lan. Putting it up. Maybe they want to listen to us this time.

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

OPS: I would imagine so. XO: Sure looks like it.

 

ACTION: Niis' face flashes up on screen, the bridge looks in disarray and he's sporting a burn along one cheek.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

::Mutters to herself:: Self: Watch him blame us for that too...

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

CO: I'll keep 'em warmed up, just in case.

 

<Captain_Niis>

@*CO*: I don't know...what trick you pulled...Captain....But I swear you will pay for this! ::he clutches his chest, wincing, gritting his teeth::

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

*Niis*: Why Captain Niis, it looks like part of your ship blew up.

 

<Captain_Niis>

<swap those lines>

 

ACTION: The viewscreen winks off again showing the Kuun-lan in it's wrecked glory.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

CO: Captain, Core going critical!

 

<CO_Cmdr_Yeremenko>

XO: Can we beam the crew aboard?

 

<SCI_Ens_Hamlet>

CO: I'm already detecting transport signature sir.

 

<XO_LtCmdr_Stradiot>

CO: No. NAV: Get us out of here!

 

<NAV_LtCmdr_Marsland>

::punches warp::

 

ACTION: The Sentinel streaks into warp just before the Kuun-lan explodes, the structure disintegrating into monoatomic dust amidst fire and brief spurts of plasma flame.

 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Pause Mission >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


© 2013-2014 Star Trek: Engage All Rights Reserved - All transcripts are property of Star Trek: Engage