Mission Arc #1 - "Criminality"

Forum for the Sigma Rho, running every Sunday at 1900 PST/Monday at 0300 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: James Greenman

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Mission Arc #1 - "Criminality"

Postby James Greenman » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:03 pm

PRIORITY 1 TRANSMISSION….Starfleet Command

TO: Captain Idrani, Commanding Officer Sigma Rho Station

Stardate: 11402.22

Captain Idrani, I'd like to congratulate you on your latest posting, but there isn't much time. We’ve received an emergency distress signal from the U.S.S. Minotaur, an Akira class vessel and part of the Ninth Fleet Tzenkethi border patrol. One of her torpedo magazines detonated, rupturing her antimatter containment and breaching the hull across several decks. She reports casualties and heavy damage.

The Minotaur crew has managed to bring warp power back online, Prophet’s know how, and she’s headed for Sigma Rho at best possible speed. Her Captain, Melissa Walters, reports that containment is failing on secondary antimatter storage and they won’t be able to hold it together for long so they’re going to drop out of warp practically on top of you. ETA is 5 minutes, they should show up on Long Range Sensors shortly.

This is an all hands. You’re to evacuate the crew from the Minotaur, stabilise the ship if you can and find out exactly what went wrong. Torpedo magazines don’t just detonate onboard a starship, so i'd like to know why this one did.

Best of luck, Captain. Keep me informed.

Admiral Ren Tolar
Starfleet Command
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Lieutenant

Mission Brief 11402.22

Postby Andrew James » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:12 am

To: All Senior Officers, Station Sigma Rho

Welcome everybody to Station Sigma Rho and your new assignments. I'd have liked to meet with you all on a relatively quiet day, but it seems today is not that day. We have the USS Minotaur incoming after suffering major damage.

XO: Commander Sumner, I want you to take the lead with the evacuation of the USS Minotaur. Use shuttles, transporters, the lot. Hell, use the Akira's Kanedas too if it'll speed it up. I'd rather avoid them docking with the risk of explosion so high. Have Captain Walters report to me as soon as is reasonable.

CTO, TAC: Once the evacuation is complete, we have two choices as far as I can see. We either resolve the issue regarding their antimatter storage, or we use the time to get the Minotaur as far away from the station as possible before she explodes. Being as the Minotaur's engineers who are familiar with the ship couldn't resolve the issue, I'm more inclined to the latter course of action, and I want you to make it happen.

CSEC: Chief, clear an area for the incoming crew and assist with their evacuation to Sigma Rho. Use your security teams to help get the injured to medical staff. I suspect medical will need the extra feet.

MED: Prepare for casualties, Doctor. Open additional triage areas where necessary. Initial reports indicate there are approximately 300 injured people incoming.

SCI: Inform me the moment the Minotaur enters sensor range. While the crew are being evacuated, recover as much data from the vessel regarding the emergency as possible in order that an investigation can take place later. And keep a close eye on the Minotaur, I want plenty of warning when it's antimatter storage is about to fail.

ENG: While the evacuation takes place, see if you can stabilise the Minotaur's antimatter storage and buy as much time as you can.

Any suggestions are welcome. Things are about to get hectic. Let's hop to it.

Captain Idrani

Ensign

Re: Mission Arc #1 - "Criminality"

Postby John Chisholm » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:21 pm

Simon gulped.

'Say again?' He had desperately hoped that he had somehow misheard. His head was spinning slightly.

It was the Chief Nurse, crewman Sebag. He was on the monitor looking harassed and sweaty.

'It's an emergency Sir!' Dizzy as he felt Fraser registered somewhere that this was the first time that Sebag had used the word 'Sir' to him and actually meant it. 'There is a damaged ship coming in, the Captain has ordered sickbay prepared for around three hundred casualties. With the CMO out with concussion and his deputy away on leave you are the only trained doctor on board! You must come quickly Sir'

Fraser snarled an expletive at the startled Sebag. ' On my way. Get everything set up as best you can.'

Fraser pulled on his shoes in a hurry. Three hundred casualties! He was only a cadet and here he was, less than two weeks into his posting, thrown in at the deep end. Scratch that; this was the bottomless end. He scrambled out of his quarters, not even pausing to say his usual goodbye to cadet Whatsisname, and plunged towards the turbolift, heart racing.

In the isolation of the turbolift he started his breathing exercises. He needed to look calm, collected and in control. Panic, he knew, was infectious, and the last thing this situation needed was the medical staff running around like headless chickens. So, in contrast to the flustered, panicky individual that entered, he stepped out of the turbolift calm, collected and wearing a thin mask of confidence. He walked (a little too briskly maybe?) to the CMO's office. Sebag was waiting for him. In Fraser's stomach huge pterodactyls of panic were flapping around, but he looked at Sebag and spoke crisply: 'Brief me'.

'Yes Sir!' Sebag suppressed a grin. This, after all, was more like it. 'The USS Minotaur is approaching us, heavily damaged. Her ETA is a few minutes only. One of her forward torpedoes seems to have detonated and that collapsed her primary antimatter containment. She reports very heavy casualties'

Fraser drew a deep breath, and turned away from Sebag. He closed his eyes for a full two seconds, opened them and exhaled. He then spoke, but to the wall, as he could not trust himself to steady his voice and keep his mask of calm from slipping from his face. He clasped his hands at his waist, in the hope that it would stop them shaking.

'Sebag. Listen carefully. I want you to get Bilini to set up immediate triage stations in all the main transporter areas. Get all non-life threatening cases to the cargo bays once they have been through them. Use the staff from the deck medical stations. Life-threatening and severe cases get them here, I do not care how or who you have to rope in to help. I guess the transporters will be needed to evacuate Minotaur in the first instance so you may need to use the Turbolifts. I will get security to keep them open for casualty evac. Get Fonseca in here, he is a burns expert. I want his grafting team in place ready and able. Got all that?

'Yes Sir!' Sebag said and bustled off. Natural Head Nurse that one, Fraser thought.

Once Sebag had gone he slumped at the CMO's desk and gathered his thoughts. He still was understaffed and he knew it. He needed people, to fetch and to carry. He also needed those turbolifts uncluttered until all the personnel had been cleared from Minotaur. So he tried to get hold of the Chief of Security...

Lieutenant

The Ferengi - Part 2

Postby Jack Lucas » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:31 pm

CSO LTJG Sutak and Security Chief LTJG Kalem Animim - Joint Log Stardate 11402.19

Sutak examined the console in front of him. The magnetic array onboard the station was misaligned, which was distorting sensor sweeps. The lights and graphics on the screen in front of him adjusted and warped as he input new telemetric data for the array.

The main science laboratory onboard the Sigma Rho was Sutak's domain. He had cracked his team early, and the chatter in the largest room of the lab was at a minimum. The handful of crewmen assigned to the science laboratory were all eager to play with Sutak's subspace transporter device, in fact he'd caught one enlisted man attempting to transport small dimpled spheres inside of glass bottles, or as the crewman had put it - "how funny would these 'golf' balls look in these 'coke' glasses?" - The crewman was a human, who had formed some sense of unnatural nostalgia for a period in Earth history when slapping a small white ball across a field and into a hole using only a metal device known as a "spatula" was commonplace across the planet Earth.

Sutak had lectured the crewman on the irreverence and illogical nature of such a game, and pointed out that most of Earth's "golf courses" had disappeared, in favor of holographic courses that didn't cover millions of square kilometers across the globe.

The Vulcan continued dialing in new telemetric data when the large laboratory door beeped and made it's slow glide open. The door was at least three times the size of a standard door, and utilized mostly for equipment. There was a smaller more appropriate door for humanoid use a few meters down the wall, however he found that many of his crew preferred the large double doors, as it gave them a somewhat "cinematic entrance" - as the ever inspired and aquamarine Lieutenant Animim had put it.

Through the large entryway strode the small and agile Ferengi, Roob. His high red collar nearly touched his lobes.

"Listen here, you green-blooded anarchist!" The Ferengi started waving his digits around, pointing at Sutak.

Sutak's eyebrow peaked - interesting. He had assumed Roob would've been on his way by now. Sutak had previously reported Roob to Station Security for not properly maintaining his warp drive - a violation of transport through this sector of space. He had not seen nor heard from the lobed man since he first arrived on the station almost a week ago.

"How may I help you, Mr. Roob." Sutak stated plainly.

"Don't give me that attitude!" Roob shouted, noting the straight faced Vulcan had twitched - a sure sign of some sort of emotion, at least the Ferengi thought it might be... "You turned me in to STARFLEET - cost me my entire haul just to get out of hock!"

Sutak lowered his brows and narrowed his eyes. "It is no fault of mine that you were detained - you chose to operate your ship unsafely, and you have paid the price for it."

Roob hopped up and down in anger "I... Just... Want... To... Leave!"

The Vulcan's eyes opened wide - this display - he'd never seen it before... This must be what his third year roommate had referred to as... a tantrum.

"Before you damage your heels, let me assure you that I am not preventing you from leaving this station." Sutak said.

"No, but even now that I've fixed my Warp Drive - the damned goonsquad surrounding my ship still won't let me undock!" Roob spat - his sharp teeth furious.

"Did you ask them why they would not allow you to leave?"

"Yes, yes... They say that some of my cargo is... what did they say... Oh, something about 'lacking index' or what have you... I tried to explain the two-hundred and thirty-ninth rule of acquisition to them but their tiny ears wouldn't listen..." The Ferengi was clearly hiding something.

"I do not understand why you are here. I am very busy. Perhaps you should-" Sutak was interrupted.

"I'm HERE because despite your sudden and unnecessary betrayal in the docking port, I need you to put in a good word for me with the station's security chief. You owe me." He pinched at his lobe.

Sutak pursed his lips, "I do not 'owe' you anything, Roob."

"Then do it as a favor! Then I'll owe YOU!" Roob smiled, his sharp teeth green and yellow with delight.

"I do not like the idea of you owing me anything. I will, however, take you to Lieutenant Animim and give him a fair representation of my opinion of you." Sutak dipped his head to look Roob in the eyes.

Roob squinted and paused, then rattled his head in agreement, "So be it."

The Vulcan removed his gray labcoat to reveal his uniform and began walking towards the small humanoid sized door on the far side of the entry wall. Roob watched him for a moment, tilting his head in curiosity as the Vulcan went the long way around, which, to the Ferengi, seemed 'illogical." Surely the Vulcan had his reasons. Roob justified it, the Vulcan knows better. He nodded to himself as he walked towards the large containment door, which opened. He then stood waiting as Sutak trailed behind him.

========

Lieutenant Sutak and Roob the Ferengi arrived on deck 5 from the turbolift. The doors opened to reveal the corridor and the security office. Sutak stepped in first and announced his arrival.

"Lieutenant Animim?" Sutak said, as he did not immediately see the security officer in the office.

A small cough behind both Sutak and Roob alerted both of them of the presence of Lt. Animim. He had his customary smile plastered on his face, his eyes sparkling like someone had told him an especially funny joke. He slapped Sutak on the back in a friendly way, a gesture that he had used before and that Sutak had mentioned he didn't appreciate, but still the Bolian insisted on using it. For Kalem's part, he partly did it due to his almost-always friendly nature and because it was funny to be show camaraderie to the virtually emotionless Vulcan.

"Ah, Lieutenant Sutak, how can I help you today? One of your human guinea pigs escaped from your evil villain-like experiments again?" As per usual, Kalem laughed at his own joke, while Sutak's response was the usual quizzically raised eyebrow.

Before the Vulcan could reply, Roob cut him, pointing an accusatory finger at the Security Chief.

"It's you again, from the dock. How many times do I have to tell you to RELEASE MY SHIP!" said Roob, the last words sprinkled with his unleashed, undaunted anger.

Kalem finally noticed the Ferengi and after a few seconds, his eyes suddenly lighted up with recognition.

"Ah, it's my Ferengi friend again, the one with the mislabelled potential contraband. What was it that you recited to me? 'Never be afraid to mislabel a product'? I had a good laugh about that one, I must say." said Kalem as he squeezed past both Roob (giving the angry Ferengi a wide berth) and Sutak, allowing him to finally enter his office. Making his way to his desk, Animim slumped on its chair, propping up his legs on the desk. "How can I help you?"

"Contraband? CONTRABAND?! How dare you, I am a legitimate businessmen! You already squeezed me dry with those repairs and now you want my goods as well? Typical Federation bootlickers! Always targeting the little guys!"

Sutak interjected, "Lieutenant, it is my understanding that the Ferengi has repaired his ship per the complaint made. His cargo, however mislabeled, has not been removed from his ship, and is therefore not subject to inspection." The Vulcan turned at the waist, keeping his feet planted, and faced the Ferengi.

"Roob, was your ship diverted from its original destination to serve a Starfleet officer?" Sutak asked bluntly.

The Ferengi was still fuming, but after a few jerks of his head between the two men, both taller than he, a response gurgled forth, "Well, I was already heading to-"

The Vulcan interrupted, "I ask again, Roob, did you dock at Sigma Rho at the request of a Starfleet officer?"

The Bolian's smiling eyes flickered between the two of them.

Roob looked confused. "Uh... Yes?"

The Vulcan turned back to Animim, "Therefore, Lieutenant, the civilian cargo is not subject to Federation Inspections per Merchant Code 617 - as his ship was commandeered in transit by Starfleet for official unplanned business."

Sutak's blank face stared at Animim through the silence. When suddenly his eyebrow slowly raised, as if pulled like a curtain. It was a curious sight.

Animim couldn't help but be amused by the Vulcan. The Bolian was vaguely aware of the existance of the Merchant Code, but he could hardly say that he remembered it by heart. And here was a Science Officer, quoting regulations to the exact number. Amusing and incredible at the same time.

"That might be true, Lt. Sutak, but if his final destination is still within the jurisdiction of the Federation, we still have a right to inspect the cargo, even if the transport was waylaid for any reason. So, my little Ferengi friend, what IS your final destination?" said Kalem, his usual grin plastered across his face.

It took a while for the Ferengi to reply. He had visibly calmed down but it was clear that he was still shaken. "Hmmm...Lappa IV? It's in Ferengi space, so you gotta let me go, Starfleet!"

Bringing his feet down from his desk, Kalem turned to face his computer terminal. "Well, if that is true, it should show on your ship's log and manifest, correct?" Before the Ferengi had a chance to respond, Kalem was already searching the database for the Latinum Sponge. Once he found the record, the Bolian almost lost his grin.

"Well, Mr...?" "Roob!" "Mr Roob, it seems you were telling the truth after all, the ship's destination checks out. You are free to leave the station! I hope you enjoyed your stay at the Sigma Rho and hope to see you again at our fine establishment in the near future." Kalem flashed his most brilliant smile at the Ferengi. The Ferengi, having gotten what he wanted, immediately stormed out of the office, muttering curses as he left.

Animim touched his com badge. "Animim to Roston, please be advised that the Latinum Sponge is now approved for departure"

"Acknowledged, Lieutenant," chirped the com badge back.

"And what else can I do for you, Lt. Sutak?"

Sutak thought for a moment, looking directly at Animim.

"I require nothing further-" before he could finish, their combadges beeped in sync.

"Senior Staff report to Ops." The voice chimed.

Sutak tilted his head slightly at Animim, then did an about face. He walked through the door, then stopped. He looked over his shoulder at the friendly Security Chief, realizing this was an opportunity to reciprocate some of the good nature Animim had been showing the Vulcan.

"Would you like to accompany me to Operations?" Sutak stated plainly, in the open doorway.

"Lead the way, Lieutenant" said Animim as he stood up from his chair. As the pair exited the office, he looked down towards the lower promenade floor: he had been only a few days here, in charge of security, but he was already starting to feel like this was his domain, to rule with either a velvet or iron fist, as the situation required.

"Any idea what the commotion is all about?”, asked Animim as they darted out the doorway together. “I haven’t heard of any major operations currently occurring...”

Sutak narrowed his eyes - "I have no idea, Mr. Animim."

The two disappeared into the turbolift, Sutak and Animim turned back to face the entry. Sutak's stone face barely moved as he said "Operations." Animim's bright face half grinned as he clapped his big blue hand on Sutak's shoulder with a THWACK. Sutak's eyes rolled as his shoulder sunk under the weight, he hadn't anticipated the blow.
Last edited by Jack Lucas on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:49 pm

That was an absolute blinder of a log, guys! It makes me so happy to see people getting stuck into joint logs.
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:31 pm

Mission Brief 11402.29

XO: We have a full investigation on our hands and I want you to take lead.

CTO, TAC: Until we conclude this investigation, no ships in or out. No one leaves.

CSEC: Keep an eye on the Minotaur crew, and see what information you can gather from them about what happened.

MED: Continue providing medical aid to the Minotaur crew.

SCI/ENG: Work together to analyse the recovered debris, see if any answers to our questions are there.

That is all.

Captain Idrani

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:37 pm

Mission Brief 11403.08

ALL: Captain Idrani is currently indisposed. Please report directly to me for the time being.

CTO, TAC: Please verify our new arrival; if they were scheduled, fine. If not, find out what their business is at the station.

CSEC: Lieutenant, please give me an update on your search at your earliest convenience.

MED: I know we're short staffed right now, Doctor. Please keep up the good work. If you come across anything suspicious, let Lieutenant Animim or myself know.

SCI/ENG: I know you haven't had long to look, but please give me your preliminary findings at your earliest convenience. Needless to say, the sooner we get to the bottom of this, the better.

That is all.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:28 pm

Mission Brief 11403.15

TO: All Senior Officers, Station Sigma Rho

ALL: Try to remain calm. We'll be fine.

ENG: We believe in you, Ensign.

That is all.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Return to Sigma Rho