Mission Arc #3 - Enemy of my Enemy

Forum for the Sigma Rho, running every Sunday at 1900 PST/Monday at 0300 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: James Greenman

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Mission Arc #3 - Enemy of my Enemy

Postby James Greenman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:02 pm

Prologue

Three months of sunshine, and even her normally pale skin was getting a tan under the bright Gemulon sun. She could help but smile though, taking a moment to lean on the hoe she'd been using to turn the soil and gazing out across the rolling meadows and fields. Three months since the Federation had given this world over to them for their own, and every day she'd felt more and more at home. The memories of the Tal Shiar forcing them off of their last colony on the Romulan border were starting to fade for all of them, they'd lost a lot of people. Some families had lost entire generations. And everyone had lost their homes.

But here on this pristine world, with 10 months of Spring and Summer, a short winter, and 28 hour days filled with honest work and good friends had let them all settle down into old routines, safe and secure on a planet of their own. Her eyes touched on the small farmhold she'd built with her own two hands, the garden that her children had planted with blooms covering a rainbow of hues, and the paddock filled with her herd of the small indigenous bovine they'd taken to calling Rhoet. They had everything they needed here, everything to build the life they wanted away from the Tal Shiar and and the remains of the Romulan Empire.

Almost half a million of them had made if off Colony to here, Gemulon V. There was some talk of renaming the planet, either to Aihsa "New", or Oann "Acceptance" but the council were still deliberating. It was refreshing to have such simple things being discussed instead of evacuation plans. The tension had been thick enough to cut the first few weeks, but after a short while it had dissipated to leave smiling faces and unquirked eyebrows. People had picked up their routines again, building from scratch or using the materials provided by the Federation when they're originally been given this planet, and things were starting to go back to some semblance of normality. Life, once again, was good.

With a sigh of contentment, she bent back to her work, her hoe making short work of tilling the soil ready for the next crop.

Six months later...

"Order. Order!"

The Prelate slammed the spherical gavel down on the smooth wooden desk, his voluminous robes hanging down over his hands to hide them from view so the sounds seemed to come from his sleeves. Small things had been kept when they left the Romulan Empire, and his title had been one of them. That and the robes.

He looked out over the gathered crowd, his committee of eight officials spread out along the long table at the head of the room doing the same, surveying the people who had come to this meeting. Panic was in some faces, fear in others, but everyone seemed resolute and determined. That was the way of the people of Oann, they'd had almost a year of rebuilding under their belts, and to a person they were stubborn in everything they did. Standing up slowly, the Prelate let his gaze sweep across every Romulan there, a small part of his mind wishing he were back on his farmstead pulling up this month's harvest.

"You all know what this concerns. The Tzenkethi ship in orbit has issued their demands, and they claim that this planet and this system is now part of the Tzenketh Coalition." He paused, trying to keep his face neutral. "They want us gone."

The shouts and cries started up again, jumping to their feet and waving hands.

"No!'

"They can't do that!"

"I'm not moving again!"

"I won't go!"

"My family!"

"I'll fight!"

"We'll fight them!"

He raised his hands and let them get it out of their systems before quietening them down, lowering his arms to the desk. He waiting patiently for the murmurs to die down and silence to reign.

"We aren't moving. The Council has deliberated and we have already sent their ambassador back with our response. This is our planet, and we won't be bullied off of it." Almost immediately grim smiles came to a few faces, but some of the tension came out of the room everywhere. The council knew it would have been unanimous, there was no way some oversized lizard was going to push them off the planet they'd now called home. Once is enough. "The Tzenkethi has left orbit, but we'd be fools to think they won't be back. This time with more than just a courier ship. To that effect...We need teams to begin work on bringing our orbital defenses online, and there will need to be outriders sent to the outer settlements. This affects us all now."

Some nods and a few cheers went through the crowd, and assignments began to sprout up assisted by the other council members, each pushing their chairs out and beginning to mingle amongst the crowd. His work here for the night done, he turns and gave a nod to his Second, waiting for her to nod back before they both slipped off into the private chambers at the rear of the building. Once inside, he closed the door. "We don't stand much of a chance, do we?"

She tilted her head slightly before replying. Velar had always been more Vulcan than Romulan, that was why she was so crucial in her part on the leadership council. "No. But technically, this is still Federation space, unaligned though it is, and as such what happens here falls under the edicts of Interstellar Law."

The Prelate collapsed into a chair and kicked off his shoes, a muffled frown on his face. "I don't like asking the Federation for help. It would seem like we're pushing our welcome here..."

"Regardless, they should be informed. The decision to help will be up to them, but this is their concern as well."

He stayed silent. Perhaps she was right...After all, the worst they could say is 'No'.
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: Mission Arc #3 - Enemy of my Enemy

Postby James Greenman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:18 pm

Mission Orders, Stardate 11405.03

TO: Commander Sara Sumner, Commanding Officer, Station Sigma Rho

Commander Sumner, there is a situation brewing in your quadrant which will require a delicate touch. You may have heard about the Romulan settlers on Gemulon V, who had unaligned themselves with the new Romulan Star Empire; Twelve hours ago we received a transmission from the Prelate overseeing the colony who reports that the Tzenkethi Coalition have staked a claim to the Gemulon system and are ordering them to evacuate the planet. They have refused, and sent the Tzenkethi ship packing, but are worried about what the Coalition intends to do in retaliation.

This is the first actual expansion outside of Tzenkethi space in almost a hundred years, and Starfleet are worried that if it's allowed then it will be setting a very bad precedent. While Gemulon isn't technically part of our borders or a Federation colony, it's still within Federation space, and the Romulan settlers have requested our aid. I don't need to tell you how tender this situation is. We cannot overtly push back against the Coalition while we're not at war, but neither can we stand idly by, so we're going to have to be a little more political about it.

You are to take the USS Xiphos and a cargobay full of relief supplies to Gemulon V, also called Oann by the settlers, and provide whatever aid you can under the guide of 'Relief Efforts'. The Type-3 manufactory onboard the Xiphos should allow you to replicate anything that the settlers need to aid in their defense, if so required. Make sure the Tzenkethi see that the Federation still have a presence there and that they aren't welcome to go snatching up star systems just because they're nearby. Investigate the situation, and do whatever is necessary to prevent them from forcibly taking the system without starting a war.

Good luck, Commander.

Admiral Ren Tolar
Starfleet Command
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Mission Briefing SD 11405.03

Postby C. J. Short » Sat May 03, 2014 3:54 am

To: All Senior Officers, Station Sigma Rho

ALL: We've been ordered to deliver relief supplies to Gemulon V, or 'Oann' as it's Romulan colonists call it. They are unaligned with the Romulan Star Empire, and they should be treated as such (i.e. politely). Recently, the Tzenkethi Coalition have demanded ownership of the planet, and neither the Romulans or Starfleet are willing to let them have it.

In addition to relief supplies, we are to assist in shoring up the colony's defenses, and our presence is to act as a deterrent to any forceful Tzenkethi expansion. Needless to say, this is a delicate situation, and everyone should stay on their toes.

CSO: Please make sure all sensor arrays and deflector systems are online and properly calibrated. In addition, work with engineering in going over what we know of Tzenkethi technology. It will help us with the colony's defenses, as well as ours, should things go awry.

CEO/ENG: This will effectively be our shakedown cruise. Let's make sure this ship is ready for the task ahead. In addition, the colony will require significant upgrades to its defenses, both orbital and on the ground. Let's make use of our increased manufacturing capabilities.

CTO/TAC: The Xiphos is a little light on firepower, but high on flexibility. Familiarize yourself with the new and uprated systems. If things go wrong, I want us to be battle-ready.

CSEC: I'd like you to come along, Mr. Animim. The colonists on Oann are mostly farmers or scientists; they could use some basic combat training. In addition, they'll need someone to train them to properly utilize their planetary defenses. See if you can steal someone from Tactical to help.

That is all.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Mission Briefing SD 11405.10

Postby C. J. Short » Sat May 10, 2014 7:14 am

ALL: We have our work cut out for us, and an indeterminate amount of time to finish it. With any luck, these defenses won't be needed, but let's fortify this colony as best we can just in case.

CSO: Let's get those sensor probes launched, Mr. Sutak. I want to know the moment the Tzenkethi enter the system. Any ideas you might have for getting the upper hand on them would be welcome.

CEO/ENG: Let's make use of our manufacturing capacity. Oann's orbital and ground-based defenses could use healthy upgrades. Work with Mr. Thran and Mr. Animim to figure out what setup would work best.

CTO: As you can tell, Mr. Thran, these orbital platforms are severely outdated and under powered. I'm putting you in charge of upgrading them, and determining the best formation to use. In addition, keep your eyes open; the moment the Tzenkethi arrive, I want the Xiphos on yellow alert.

CSEC: We're not exactly raising an army, Mr. Animim, so keep your lessons to the basics. The primary focus of any ground defense should be the evacuation and protection of the civilian population. Have the colonists identify the most defensible locations, and establish some evacuation protocols.

That is all.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Lieutenant JG

Postby Riccardo Fabris » Fri May 16, 2014 10:24 pm

I likely won't be available tomorrow unfortunately.

Commander

Mission Briefing SD 11405.17

Postby C. J. Short » Fri May 16, 2014 11:02 pm

CSO: Let's continued our scans of the planet, and the surrounding space. I'm not convinced the Tzenkethi interest in Oann is purely a land grab.

CEO/ENG: Continue your work with the orbital defenses, gentlemen. With any luck, your time is just being wasted, but we should be sure we have as much firepower as possible should things go awry.

CTO: Keep our eyes open, Mr. Thran. I have a feeling the Tzenkethi will be here sooner rather than later.

CSEC: Continue your efforts, Mr. Animim. If you get a chance, ask some of the locals if they know of anything unique to Oann. Any clues we can get to its potential importance to the Tzenkethi will help in our negotiations.

That is all.

Commander

Mission Briefing SD 11405.24

Postby C. J. Short » Sat May 24, 2014 7:58 am

ALL: The Tzenkethi will be here shortly. You've all done excellent work in preparing Oann for their arrival. We haven't been together very long, but I can already see that this will be an excellent crew, whether it's on the Xiphos or the Rho. It may not mean much at the moment, but I'm proud of all of you, and I'm glad that my first command is spent with such a capable and resourceful group.

With any luck, our preparations here will not be needed. In the event that they are, however, I trust that all hands will be sharp, and on their toes. The Tzenkethi cannot have Oann, under any circumstances, and we will not be the ones to let them have it.

CSO: Let me know when the Tzenkethi are in range of the short-range sensors. I want to know as much about their ships as possible.

CEO/ENG: Give the platforms a final check to make sure they're ready. They may not last long, but if it comes to blows, every minute will count.

CTO: Take us to Yellow Alert once the Tzenkethi are in the system. Weapons powered, but no targeting locks until I give the word. We want to look confident, not desperate.

CSEC: Since we have a good idea when the Tzenkethi will be here, let's get a head start on the evacuations, prioritizing families with children first. If the Tzenkethi make landfall, they can have the cities; make sure the people of Oann survive.

That is all.

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:04 am

ALL: I'm sure we all have questions as to why four Romulan warbirds are in Federation space, but that is an issue for another time. As it stands, they've bailed us out, and I'd rather not bite this feeding hand just yet.

Aside from that, you all did excellent work. I'm proud of your efforts and ingenuity when it came to securing Oann, and especially proud of the poise this crew had in the face of overwhelming odds. Well done, all of you.

CSO: Given the uniforms, I'm assuming these Romulan crew are Tal'Shiar. I want you to see what you can pick up on passive scans of their ships, particularly any residual readings on their singularity cores. I want to know if these ships arrived recently, or if they've been in the area for a while.

CEO/ENG: Your first priority is to deactivate the minefield. The last thing we want is some accident involving the Romulans and a Federation mine. I also want cursory diagnostics of all ship's systems. That's the first combat the Xiphos has seen since its refitting, and I want to know how it handled it.

OPS: Ensign, please update Starfleet Command on the situation. Be sure to encrypt the message; we're in the presence of foreign intelligence operatives, after all. Ask for advisement on their presence. In addition, assist Engineering with their diagnostics, should they need it.

CTO/TAC: Mr. Animim, I'm transferring you to the position of Chief Tactical Officer, both for your exemplary efforts in this situation, and due to a personal request from Mr. Thran. I want you and your department to start working on transferring full control of the orbital platforms to the authorities on Oann. In addition, please send me a summary of the situation on the surface.

Stay sharp. We're not finished just yet.

That is all.

Commander

Mission Briefing SD 11406.28

Postby C. J. Short » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:43 am

TO: All Senior Staff, USS Xiphos

All: I suppose this is one of those 'out of the frying pan' situations. Until we hear otherwise from Starfleet, we will not be letting the Tal'Shiar commandeer this system; the settlers of Oann desired autonomy, and that's what they'll have. I am convinced the Romulans are unwilling to start a war just to secure one isolated system so far from their borders. Trust me; they will be the first to blink.

I know this might seem rash to some of you. It might seem like we owe nothing to these people, and that it's not worth the risk to stand up for them. That would be a pragmatic stance to take. However, if Starfleet and the Federation want to stand up to their ideals, than we must be something more than pragmatic. We must strive to do what is right, whenever we can. I believe this is one such instance, and I believe that, by the end of the day, I will have plenty of reasons to be proud of my crew.

CSO: We may need to neutralize their cloaking devices. Ready a tachyon sweep; any additional suggestions you have would be welcome.

CEO/ENG: I know the weapons platforms are all but useless at this point, but on the off chance that this comes to blows, I'd like them to be somewhat operational. Additionally, if you've already deactivated the minefield, reactivate it.

OPS: Let me know the moment we hear something from Starfleet, and send a message to the Lexington letting them know our intentions. Keep their weapons armed, but unlocked.

CTO/TAC: Divert all non-essential power to the shields and weapons, in that order. I don't intend to start a fight, but we should appear to be ready for one.

We're close. Keep at it.

That is all.

Return to Sigma Rho