Mission Arc 1 - Ship Without a Rudder

Forum for the U.S.S. Saturn, running every Sunday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Lieutenant

Mission Arc 1 - Ship Without a Rudder

Postby Andrew James » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:07 am

Feel free to post your arc 1 logs in this thread and chat about the story, your theories, etc. You'll also find Mission Orders and Mission Briefings here.

Lieutenant

Re: Mission Arc 1 - Ship Without a Rudder

Postby Andrew James » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:08 am

Mission Orders Stardate 11402.23

To: Captain Sadin Rakshama, USS Saturn.

Captain,

Congratulations on your first command. Construction of the USS Saturn has come to an end, and pre-operational testing has been completed on Station Sigma Rho.

The time has arrived to begin her journey. The Saturn is an exploration vessel, and in that spirit you are tasked with exploring new territory beyond Delphi Ardu, Pacifica and Mira. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little envious, Captain.

Depart Sigma Rho at your earliest convenience and proceed with your mission along your assigned course. Let's see what's out there...

Admiral Cerridwyn Rice
Starfleet Command

Lieutenant JG

Postby Riccardo Fabris » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:34 am

Mission Briefing, Stardate 11402.23

TO: Senior Officers, USS Saturn

First of all, let me all welcome you formally to the USS Saturn. We have a new ship in our hands and an untested crew but I'm sure that as we grow to know each other, we will create a tightly-knit, efficient community within this wonderful vessel. With a small crew of only 80 officers and enlisted, it will be important to get to know each other and create strong relationships, especially when we are far away from Federation space, as our missions are likely to take us.

I think we all have a real opportunity here to explore the cosmos, advance the course of science and discover new species as we progress in our mission of exploration, science and peace. We are currently at the cutting edge of Starfleet Exploration and have thus an unparalleled opportunity to discover the mysteries of the universe. What excitement and adventure awaits us is currently unknown, but what I do known is that with the help and professionalism of the crew of the Saturn, we will be able to surmount all challenges, come what may. With that in mind, please find your orders below for the preparation of our great journey of discovery:

OPS: Please ensure that all possible and necessary supplies are present and accounted for: we will likely stray far from any Federation ship or station and therefore will likely have to make them last. Please provide a report with your estimates on how likely the supplies are to last and a breakdown of our rate of use of supplies, fuel and spare parts.

NAV: Please come up with a report detailing our expected route and any navigational hazards that have been mapped out already within the area that we are exploring. I want to get under-way as soon as possible so work with Engineering to ensure that the warp drive is fully operational by the time we reach our departure date.

TAC: Please run diagnostics of all weapon systems and phasers: we don't know what we are likely to find and although violence should be only used as a last resort, it pays to be prepared. Also, make sure that our full complement of torpedoes is present and accounted for.

MED: Doctor, please ensure that sickbay is ready and operating at full power. Hopefully your skills will not be needed immediately, but a medical emergency might happen unexpectedly.

SCI: I know you will be as excited as I am to depart: I think this is a truly unique opportunity for you and the entire science staff aboard the Saturn. You will need to make sure that our sensors and scanners are calibrated properly, and that our extensive science and laboratory facilities are fully operation by the time we depart.

ENG: I am planning a series of stress tests to see exactly how far we can push the Saturn. It will be necessary for you and Engineering that the ships runs smoothly in our first few warp cruises in order to make sure that we don't miss something that could potentially affect the ship and our patrol.

If you have any questions, problems or doubts, please don't hesitate to come talk to me, I will operate an open door policy on all possible discussions. We will depart soon so make sure that your departments and the ship as a whole is ready for our great undertaking.

Lieutenant JG

Postby Riccardo Fabris » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:29 pm

Due to recent changes to the command structure of the USS Saturn, please note the following revised orders:

SCO: Lt. H'Ret, congratulations on being assigned to the most prestigious appointment aboard the Saturn. You will be leading our Science Department through our journey of exploration and your knowledge and expertise will be highly required as we unvocer the mysteries of the universe. Please ensure that scanners are all calibrated correctly and that the laboratories and science bays within the Saturn are fully ready and operational.

SCI: Let me welcome you to the Saturn, Cadet Cenn: I know that you will do credit to Starfleet Academy and that your research and knowledge of astronomy will be critical in the coming days. I want you to work with NAV in order to work out our expected travel path: I expect a report ready before we set out from Sigma Rho.

Lieutenant JG

Postby Riccardo Fabris » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:59 pm

Reposting since I only sent it by email:

Mission Briefing, Stardate 11403.02

TO: Senior Officers, USS Saturn

We have a real situation in our hands, gentlemen and we all must work together in order to determine what we have encountered and where it comes from. The mystery of the USS Dahl is something that, together as a team, I am sure we will be able to crack.

OPS: Keep constant communications with this Captain Dahl. I don't want anything to escape us. If possible, try to determine what kind of protocols the USS Dahl is using to communicate us: if they are old, I want to know HOW old.

NAV: We need to ensure that we keep up with the USS Dahl: if we get any reports of them entering warp, follow them and don't wait for my order to do so.

TAC: Run a diagnostic on the offensive and defensive capabilities and let me know if the Dahl decides to have another go at us. Prepare an attack pattern to lower the shields of the Dahl without harming the hull of the ship if necessary.

MED: Doctor, we might have casualties if the Dahl turns hostile: either us or them. Be prepared for any medical emergency that might occur.

SCO: I want a full spectral analysis done of the Dahl. If it's coming from another dimension, I want to know it. If it's some sort of alien creature that took over the ship, I also want to know it. This is your top priority, SCO!

SCI: Work with the SCO in order to run the scanners necessary. As well as that, I want you to focus on running a lifesign analysis of the Dahl and see if there is anything unusual about the remaining crew of the Dahl.

ENG: Work with SCI to boost power to sensors, we need to make sure that we are able to detect what the hell is going on. Make sure that the warp engines are ready to go at a moment's notice.

Lieutenant JG

Postby Riccardo Fabris » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:01 pm

I'd like, in an OOC way, to hear what's everyone theory about the Dahl. For myself, I've already expressed my crazy theory about it being some sort of space chameleon that took over the ship and is running through the motions: all the incorrect stuff can be explained by it not getting a true recollection from the bodies it assimilated. It seems to fit most of the strange stuff like the fact that it changed name, although it's still a pretty wild theory!

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:06 am

I'd also be interested in everyone's hypotheses!

Lieutenant JG

Postby Robert Wright » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:53 am

There's a multitude of possibilities. It could be an inaccurate attempt to mimic the Dahl by a race like the Iotians (TOS episode "A Piece of the Action"). It could also be a Quantum Reality, the alternate timelines in which all possible outcomes for any event take place. That's the effect in the Mirror Universe episodes or the TNG finale "All Good Things".

It could also be an illusion from an entity similar to the Squire of Gothos, the Douwd or the Q. They could also be an imperfect replica create by a race like the androids on Exo III, or the Silver Blood from Voyager.

Return to U.S.S. Saturn