CSO LtCmdr Raqiin sh'Hruvek

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Re: CSO Lt Raqiin sh'Hruvek

Postby C. J. Short » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:25 pm

Shawna F wrote:She could never understand the position of captain in a time of crisis, and she did in theory stand by what she said to Sumner while sitting in the brig, but Raqiin found herself wondering if maybe putting a Sumner in command of a ship wasn't the smartest idea ever.

It's not.

Also, they started it!
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Lieutenant
IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

Character Name: Raqiin sh'Hruvek

Postby Shawna F » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:59 am

Stardate 11512.10

Lena Moree kept her fingers light on the tender nub. "How's flexibility?"

Raqiin blew some air out, fluttering a few loose strands of hair out of her face. "It feels next to normal. Still a little stiff and...lopsided." In response, her antennae, both of them, dip slightly down and slightly askew. "It doesn't look it, but it feels it!"

Lena smiled and removed her fingers. "I can promise you that it doesn't look lopsided. It's possible you may have lost a little bit of height off it, but not enough to be noticeable to the others, and not enough that it should be causing you problems with balance. Has that been all right?"

It had been a year, or close to it, since the mission where going flying on impact had left her right stalk a severed, embarrassing mess. While she had tended toward hats after for some time, when she could get away with it, it was apparent that most of the crew didn't find much wrong with it. A little pity, for the injury, and the way she would get dizzy with her screwed up perceptions, but nothing for her to continue feeling that ingrained feeling that it needed hidden. She'd mostly tried to forget about it once she'd gotten used to it and adjusted.

"Mmhm, I haven't had any balance incidents for at least half a year. Not," she amended, "that was related to this, anyway. Guess that means it's grown in nicely."

Lena nodded. "A little slower than one might expect for someone of your age and vitality, but you've also been under a lot of stressors. It might just be the natural length of regrowth your body has." A shrug. "But it looks like it's finally back where it should be. I'd say it's a full recovery."

"Good." Raqiin slid off the biobed she felt like she was unnecessarily taking up. "I should really get back to trying to figure out some theories about this planet."

"No need to rush on my account." It had been even longer since she had spent a little time reading Lena's mind, having been drugged up enough to mentally cross an invisible barrier that her daughter could see--well, the story was complicated, but she certainly remembered it like it was yesterday still. While she and Nurse Moree were perfectly fine friends, Raqiin still thought it was a little awkward. It hadn't been a good time for her, despite the commendations for her efforts, and the reminder hit a little closer to home than she'd like lately. The dual memories, someone with no extra-sensory abilities at all, and someone with full telepathy, at the same time. That still caused some dizziness just thinking too hard about it

Raqiin squinted for a moment at nothing, then shook her head. "Listen, you're right about stresses. I was wondering... I've got a pretty good understanding of biology," she started unnecessarily, "but I'm not exactly a doctor. There's a personal side project the captain had me looking into, using some data that I thought was a little crude to ask of me--" She shook her head again. Not really for Lena to know, now, is it? But now Captain Sumner's beau was here, and they might expect results, even after the captain had realized her error and suggested she forget about it. "I'm not going to dump the whole thing on you. But maybe if you could help me, or find someone to help me, gather up some examples of interspecies children with Andorians, just on a purely--just from the data you can get, without the input I have." Without using her own (ugh, the human phrase, it escapes her, some kind of lab animal...) experiment to figure it out. She had, after all, split along gender lines as well. It wasn't the worst idea.

It was just extremely disorienting and uncomfortable.

"Forget I said anything; I've just had a lot of things on my mind."

Lena touched her arm. "Sounds like you have something to work through."

"Some things."

"Might help if you sat down with someone."

Raqiin didn't mean to snort. She honestly didn't! It just sort of came out. "Sorry. Sorry, I know, it might, I've taken some psych courses, and I get that I"m keeping some things in. I'm just not sure some of it is really...able to be understood except to recognize that it's strange and weird."

"Ma'am, we're in Starfleet." The nurse smiled softly, with amusement in her eyes. "Strange and weird are our breakfast, lunch, and dinner. With politics and diplomacy as all the parts of those meals we don't like and push around the plate. I let the metaphor get away from me."

"Little bit, yeah." Of course she could feel that willingness to help radiating off the nurse. "I'm trying to work through some thoughts I don't feel are appropriate to voice just yet. See where it gets me. If I need help..." She rolled her shoulders. "I know where to start from, at least."

"So, iffy bill of mental health, but clean bill of physical health." Lena's hand dropped, but the smile didn't fade, and she nodded. "I can work with that."

"Doesn't sound very good when you put it like that."

"Hm, I'll have to work on my wording, in that case. But I see no reason to keep you here for more than just this checkup. You're free to go."
CSO Lt Raqiin sh'Hruvek - USS Bremen NCC-12428
XO LtCmdr Vikram Baudin - USS Sentinel NCC-79088 / S.T.A.R. Taskforce Sigma

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:36 am

Sara's never gonna be able to make up for that, is she?
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:47 am

great log Shawna! Also remember, she has a friend onboard :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:49 am

Oh wow, Idrani might not be thrilled to hear Sara did that either ...

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:05 am

Andrew James wrote:Oh wow, Idrani might not be thrilled to hear Sara did that either ...

Lieutenant
IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

Postby Shawna F » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:40 pm

C. J. Short wrote:Sara's never gonna be able to make up for that, is she?

IT'S FINE everything is fine the captain knows what she's doing (OR DOES SHE) she's just being sensitive (OR IS SHE)

Einar S wrote:great log Shawna! Also remember, she has a friend onboard

She has so many friends. ;; She loves everyone in this bar. On this ship, I mean. I'll have to bring Oleg back at some point, too...

Andrew James wrote:Oh wow, Idrani might not be thrilled to hear Sara did that either ...

Only if Sara brings it up first. :colbert: Raqiin's not exactly keen on going 'so your girlfriend/waifu told me you guys were interested in little halfling kids let me shove some research at you...'

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:46 pm

Shawna F wrote:Raqiin's not exactly keen on going 'so your girlfriend/waifu told me you guys were interested in little halfling kids let me shove some research at you...'

I know, but how intriguing would that log be...

Lieutenant
IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

w/ Ensign Raazni

Postby Shawna F » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:33 pm

Stardate 11512.17

After the tactical officers left, the captain followed suit, relieving Raqiin of her sudden conn duties. And now that they're no longer headed for the dead world and back to the starbase, the CSO let the new engineer bring down the power levels of the sensors.

They did, after all, have new orders.

Raqiin didn't question the situation that had been building between Jameson and Harlan. Out loud. Not to the captain. If she needed to know all the details, she'd be told them. (Presumably.) But now there's a mysterious mystery box Harlan's been keeping, and it's up to them to find out what it is and what's inside.

"Ensign," she greeted Raazni in the turbolift, though without much of her usual cheer--or at least without her usual plainness? "Ready to get to some more interesting aspects of working on the Bremen?" Not the most fair assessment; after all, they'd been through a lot more...exciting, as a crew. But still more exciting than sitting around at a dead stop waiting to get through to Starfleet.

"Lieutenant," he replied, still unsure of everyone's name, but not fussed to expend extra effort to learn them either. This whole thing seemed ridiculous to him; all those years in the Academy and his first week he was going to open some guys personal belongings just because he took one poxy power cell. It's not like they were hard to come by. But Raazni couldn't deny he was curious. He did like a mystery, and as a Zaldan he didn't like secrets, period, it was a deep part of their culture. Here was one all wrapped up inside a neat box. "Well, let's hope it's interesting... I'd feel let down if someone had gone through all this trouble, to the brig, to protect his grandma's secret carrot cake recipe or something."

"Oh," she said, with a wrinkle to her nose, "I'm certain Mister Harlan has something a little more...dramatic going on. Or else why go through all of this trouble, like you said?" They rode the lift to crew quarters level, and she exited, a hand fiddling with the tricorder at her hip. She understood the captain's opinion of wanting to figure it all out before handing Harlan over, but she worried it was going to be another Suder situation, and the captain knew how well that had gone.

Harlan's quarters had already been opened by the time they arrived. Raazni gestured with a webbed hand for Raqiin to go in ahead of him, and then followed. "Lights," he ordered. The first thing he noticed wasn't the metallic box they were sent to investigate, but the wall panel that had clearly been removed recently. As an Engineer, he knew there were two power lines behind there, and it made sense that Harlan must have used them when he didn't have the power node he'd allegedly stolen. He said nothing, but made a mental note to check that out later, make sure everything was put back to how it should be. For now, it wasn't relevant to the investigation.

"Where do you suppose he keeps the box? Under the bed? In the drawers? Don't suppose this bit will be easy, trying to get past whatever security he put in place."

"Apparently it had been hidden under a biomask before." She frowned, stalks curling forward some. "I know Commander Jameson has been...involved with this whole scenario. I just wish she had said something sooner. Maybe she thought it was an internal matter to handle." With a shake of her head, "I hate to say tear the room apart, but let's do a sweep until we find it, and then we can finally scan the thing and get it over with."

Raazni pulled out his tricorder, flipped it open and started scanning. "Feels like a job that security should be handling, not us," he said with a slight tone of annoyance. But, he scanned the room, moving around from place to place until he came across the drawers. "Looks like it's in here, but there's a keypad. Don't suppose Harlan told you the code?"

"I could see which buttons are the most used and run some algorithms for the most probable sequence." She made another face. "But he's serious about the security. Think you could cut through it with a plasma torch and literally cut out the middle man?"

It wasn't long before an engineer had brought Raazni the plasma torch and he was working away at the seal. "He can send the bill to the security office," he said as the seal finally gave way and the drawer slid open. He lifted the box out and laid it on the table in the middle of the room. It was metallic, with blue lights on the front indicating it was just under half charge. "Heavier than I thought, a few kilos." He stepped back and let Raqiin have first at it. "I've never seen something like that before. No ordinary box," he said, aware of how obvious his comment was.

"I don't want to mess around with cutting into it until we're sure of what's in it. I also don't want to accuse him of trying to blow anyone up, but I'm not keen on making assumptions at this point." She settled herself in front of the odd box and whipped out her tools to scan it. "All right, Mister Harlan. Let's see what you've been holding out on us."

Raqiin's frown intensified as she started up the scan. "That's...strange." What wasn't strange about the situation, honestly? "There's something biological inside. We'll want to be careful until I get more details; I won't be responsible for letting out a virus or fungus." That wasn't a fun time.

"Biological?" Raazni repeated pointlessly. "Like a life form? Maybe we can get a better scan - what do you say to using one of your fancy science labs? I'm sure we could get a better look inside there."

"Hold your alicorne, my tricorder can work it just fine." She let it do its thing for a moment longer and almost dropped it from her hands, her stalks straightening in alarm. "It's a heart! A heart and a brain, stem and all!" If she could look any paler, she would. "No wonder he found the power levels to be so imperative... Looks like it's about a year old. Maybe two? I mean, in the box. Or...out of body. Whatever."

Raqiin slammed shut the tricorder and whirled on Raazni. "We're taking this to sickbay, now. And I want you to make sure we can open it safely without killing whoever's inside."

Commander

Postby Einar S » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:58 pm

what the flippity fuck
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Bremen