CSO LtCmdr Raqiin sh'Hruvek

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Lieutenant
IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

Character Name: Raqiin sh'Hruvek

Re: CSO Lt Raqiin sh'Hruvek

Postby Shawna F » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:59 pm

Stardate 11509.24

It's going to be a long flight with someone she doesn't trust, someone put off by what she doesn't know, someone who is going to pretend nothing's wrong, and Bleet. So after a time of trying to calm nerves and settle thoughts, she decides giving herself some quiet space is called for. Maybe she can work out the details later.

These details are, however, uncomfortable, so maybe this is a bad idea, but it's the only one she has right now. The captain had realized her mistake in what she had asked for, but Raqiin took it as an order anyway. Maybe sorting through the Su data regarding the experiment would shed some new light and maybe bring her a little peace. She just has to regard it clinically. The subject is just some subject, not a living person, not herself. And if biology allows...

She doesn't see why a little genetic jiggery pokery wouldn't yield a half-Andorian child. If they want to have one organically, well, that...might be different. What bits might be missing if the proper enzymes aren't included in the right stages? Would human metabolism even be able to keep up? Easier to try and create a viable fetus in a test tube instead.

Still, if the Su could split the likes of her into two genders and have enough material for them to both thrive...hm.

(What if she hadn't held everyone back by putting herself back together? There are ethical quandaries that she hadn't had the time to consider, just trying to be herself again while also trying to escape. What if she was two, what if she could read thoughts as blindly and easily as any Aenar, what if she could block everyone out and have the strength and aggression of an Andorian? What of her position, or her friends, or her family? What of Oleg?)

It's going to keep her up, and sleep would be better so as to not look harried before a diplomatic mission. She isn't going to solve this issue overnight, although she'll be dreaming of DNA codes before she wakes. And thoughts of children.
CSO Lt Raqiin sh'Hruvek - USS Bremen NCC-12428
XO LtCmdr Vikram Baudin - USS Sentinel NCC-79088 / S.T.A.R. Taskforce Sigma

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:51 pm

Innnnteresting thoughts here.
Nice log, Shawna. :)

Lieutenant
IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

joint with Captain Sumner

Postby Shawna F » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:20 pm

Stardate 11510.01

Sara's mind was a bit of a storm after being imprisoned for the second time this week (by her own clock, at least). She could swear she'd told someone to inform Organia of their engine trouble, but she knew she hadn't explicitly told anyone to inform them of their new travel plans.

Sure, maybe that should have been implied. Maybe someone should have taken the time to relay the change of plans. But she knew she couldn't do that. The moment she started to blame her crew was the moment she lost the right to have one. The fault was hers, and dealing with an impostor in the guise of a dead Starfleet Captain wasn't an excuse for dropping the ball. With a soft sigh, she pushed off the bars of the cell, standing and staring out into the grubby hallway.

"Am I a bad Captain?" she asked her cellmate, Lieutenant sh'Hruvek.

Now was not the time to panic. Raqiin had been brought along for her quick thinking and general levelheadedness, and she wasn't about to prove her captain wrong. Klingons didn't scare her, not as a whole, but being captured and roughed up by them was not her idea of a warm welcome. At least their impostor and the delegation stayed their hand. That was generally better than death.

She couldn't say she felt very useful right now, though. But maybe she could help Captain Sumner quell the troubled emotions brewing in her head. Instead of taking the question by surprise, she gave it a moment of thought from where she was seated. Gave her something to focus on. "No. You're not a bad captain. You're a very creative and laid back one, which is hardly the same thing."

Sara frowned softly, wanting to argue the point, to remind them that they were in a cell against their will, but something in her knew that it wouldn't help the situation. At some point, it was just whining, and for Sara, that point was now. So, she sat on the small metal shelf that counted as a bed, adjusting her bustier, which she was now regretting. She looked over to Raqiin, wondering if they should be planning some kind of escape, for whatever good it would do. From her perspective, their fates seemed to rely on a dimensional interloper pretending to be someone she wasn't. It was an uncomfortable position, to say the least.

"So... tell me about yourself," she improvised, offering a little shrug along with the question. If they were going to be stuck here a while, they might as well do something constructive.

Sumner's frown became Raqiin's frown. "Ma'am, I hope you don't think I'm just trying to tell you what you want to hear. If you blame yourself for this situation, I'd like to point out that there's never been a captain in the history of the Federation or even any ship to ever exist that has been perfect. That the Klingons were so strict, to the letter, about this plan means that whatever is going on is bigger than we thought it was, and that you had the foresight to bring Miss Suder," she added with a colder intonation on the name, "along for the ride means that we're not dead." Yet. There was always a yet.

"Besides...everything important about me should be in my file." No, that wasn't true. She knew as well as anyone else that those were just meager accomplishments, distant words on a page giving a brief overview and no true hint at the person beneath (psychological evaluations aside). "Unless you didn't read my file and jumped right into the hot seat," Raqiin teased, a quick attempt at levity.

Sara gave Raqiin a wry grin, crossing her heavily-booted legs.

"I'm a Sumner, Lieutenant. We don't believe in personnel files."

"Well. I...don't know where to start." Raqiin tugged at a strand of hair, still loose. "I've been interested in biology and biochemistry since I was young...excelled at that in the Academy, naturally. Spent a couple years doing odd jobs and independent research before the Academy, hopping ships, stuff like that. Realized it wasn't going to get me anywhere. And I'm all for Starfleet's more humanitarian, if you'll forgive the term, efforts."

Sara could only grin as Raqiin told her story.

"I can see why Henry likes you. His dream before the Academy was to get his own independent research vessel. Always liked to dream a little bigger than reality. I was never really the science type, myself. I preferred athletic stuff; adrenaline, endorphins. Then I flew my first shuttle, and that pretty much decided it. No rush like it."

Raqiin smiled at the mention of Henry. "I'd like that, someday. I'm not really the athletic action type, as you've probably guessed. Like...Klingons, I don't know how to handle them, or I can't handle them on their terms, anyway. You can show up in your..." She made a gesture with her hands to her chest to indicate the corset. "And be on their level. That's not something I can do. I can talk the talk if I have to, but I don't walk their walk. I'm not sure how much of a help I'm going to end up being here except to tell you that someone's excited or angry, which I'm imagining is going to be just about everyone."

Sara scoffed lightly.

"On their level, hardly," she said. "Wasn't exactly on their level when he had me pinned against the yacht." She gave a soft sigh, looking over to Raqiin.

"I didn't bring you to fight Klingons, Raqiin. I brought you because you're a capable officer who can think on her feet. We're obviously not gonna brute force our way out of this."

"Well...the only idea I have so far is to wait and see what happens. There's not much to be done from here, and if we broke out of containment, that's just going to make things worse." Raqiin crossed her arms lightly, looking beyond the bars. "As much as I dislike the idea, it's up to Miss Suder. She might be able to salvage this yet."

Sara gave a soft sigh and nodded in agreement. The fact that there weren't any options was probably what annoyed her the most.

"Friggin' better," she muttered.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:49 pm

loved that :) prison cell talk is always interesting!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant
IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

Postby Shawna F » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:44 pm

Stardate 11309.13

"You have no honor!"

Raqiin leaned away from the Klingon snarling in her face. Here she was, just trying to get to know a few of her classmates and broaden her horizons, and Makal was getting worked up over a difference in philosophies. "I don't put much stock in honor, to be honest. I don't think I'll be going to Sto'Vo'Kor anytime in this lifetime or after, after all."

"How can you be expected to serve your people if you will not fight?" Makal stressed, leaning across the table with her considerable height. "What if you need to take up arms?"

"Then I won't take up arms." It seemed simple to Raqiin. "I'll serve Starfleet just fine by working the sciences."

"Even our scientists will fight to keep themselves and their crew alive."

"Do I look like a Klingon to you?"

A scoff, and a lean back into her seat. "You look like a small, delicate insect, ready to be crushed. Don't your people have the Imperial Guard?"

"And they do all the fighting I don't, thanks. Not everyone is made to be a fighter. Starfleet has enough fiery fighters and big guns. I prefer a more behind the scenes approach." Makal scoffed, but Raqiin continued. "In the midst of a fight, we aren't going to throw our chief engineer at tactical unless absolutely necessary. A science officer isn't going to be firing torpedoes when they're too busy scanning for weaknesses in the hull or analyzing attack patterns. If everyone fights, then you lose in other areas. That's just how it works."

"Not in the--" Makal was about to finish with Klingon Empire, but if that was so important, she wouldn't be here in Starfleet, would she? She crossed her arms and bared her teeth but said nothing more.

"It's an adjustment, but you? You'll probably be on the front lines. Just remember to watch all the other lines while you're at it."

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:51 pm

the eternal optimist. I can't wait for Raq to kill for the first time!

Great log :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant
IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

Postby Shawna F » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:52 pm

Stardate 11510.15

If she was two people, she'd be more effective. She's already gotten a hint of what that could be like. Maybe if her selves hadn't insisted on being whole again, maybe if they hadn't wasted the time running around making guesses with little basis in...anything--

There's an angry, confused Klingon and the CTO (and her friend) with a knife in her neck. Maybe if her Andorian half had been there, he'd have been able to do something, fight back, or hold the captain back. Hold Jameson back? And maybe her Aenar side could figure out what to say to upset Klingons. When the medics come (an age later), Raqiin decides that she really needs to stop getting blood on her hands.

It's always out of her hands, though.

Security secures the Klingon, and Raqiin needs to get herself together. Maybe her Aenar side could run the science station with ease, focus more with years of practice. Maybe her Andorian side could speak his mind easier. Maybe she wouldn't have to be so meek and useless. Sure, good head on her shoulders, that's fine when a good head is needed.

Maybe another side of her could let herself be upset with the captain for allowing this impostor to go with them. And another could acknowledge the harbored upset feelings regarding using the experiment on her for personal gains, however noble. Two of her could be more productive, in fact! With two eyes (figuratively?) on scans, thinking in different sets of patterns, maybe if she hadn't been so selfish--maybe everything wouldn't have to be out of her hands. Maybe there could be something more she could do, if only she wasn't trapped in just this, this half-breed, singular body and singular mind.

He has to make sure Jameson is all right. Or is going to be. Maybe. She needs to wash up, wash the blood off, change back into a normal uniform. Look...proper. And composed. She can't do that right now, but very soon, she'll need to.

Right now, she needs to breathe. And move.

Ensign

Character Name: Cybal Horanda

Postby Nasha Kamalani » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:57 pm

Aww man, sh'Hruvek needs a shock blanket and some tea.

Nice log!

Commander

Postby Einar S » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:00 pm

more! more Raq! Great log Shawna
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant
IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD

Postby Shawna F » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:33 pm

She could perfectly well be friends with Klingons if only she could find one she understood better than 'something something honor'. Their emotions were always so intense. But so long as Noq'ta wasn't somehow placed under Raqiin's purview, then they should...well, not 'get along', but at least be out of each others hair.

Which, of course, gave her time to think. And sometimes, just sometimes, that wasn't appreciated. She could work on the puzzle of the captain's wish to have a child with a single Andorian parent. Maybe work with the CMO or one of their aides, tackle it from a practical standpoint rather than re-address the alicorne in the room of having been split in half. She could, but she found she didn't much want to. Another time, maybe. Another time that isn't trying to destress from the ordeal at Organia, Jameson, K'Tor, the escaped-or-dead-who-really-knew captain from another universe they just smiled and pretended was theirs, her own captain who decided a fight was the best way to follow up a speech.

She could never understand the position of captain in a time of crisis, and she did in theory stand by what she said to Sumner while sitting in the brig, but Raqiin found herself wondering if maybe putting a Sumner in command of a ship wasn't the smartest idea ever.

She quickly tried to put the thought out of mind. Questioning the captain, someone she appreciated, someone who had gotten out of plenty of scrapes? Maybe it was a storm that would pass. After all, Captain Griffiths occasionally had moments where she wasn't entirely sure how she felt about his orders. She needed to just let it settle and let it be, let the feeling pass. It had to pass.

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Bremen