MED Ensign Cybal Horanda

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Re: SCI Cadet Cybal Horanda

Postby C. J. Short » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:03 am

If you go back to the first post in the thread and click on Edit, you can change the thread title.

Great log, by the way :)
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Re: SCI Ensign Cybal Horanda

Postby Einar S » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:19 am

loved that log :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Ensign

Character Name: Cybal Horanda

MED Ensign Cybal Horanda

Postby Nasha Kamalani » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:31 am

{{Present}}
Mission Log - U.S.S. Bremen
Stardate 11510.08

Commander Adalberto yelled to widen the field, forget the safety protocols. A fine idea until it went horrible. And if it did, Cybal would have deaths on her hands. Her shaking hands. She took the briefest of seconds to curl and flex her fingers before diving back in. It was now or never. Time to pull their people out of the fray and into…the other side of the fray.

She barely noticed she said something as she taped out the commands. The transport went, she carefully watched the patterns, making sure they weren’t lost. Hoping to god they wouldn’t be lost.

“We got two of them!” someone called. Her chest heaved, but then the rest of the sentence came out “and a Klingon Guard. The Captain is still over there!” and her chest tightened up again. Sh*t, she thought and went back to work.

“Where are you captain…” she said to herself, “I know you’re there, I just saw you.” Data readings swept past her eyes, she looked quickly but carefully. The captain was in there somewhere, and as much as Cybal enjoyed conversations with them, she didn’t want to bring back another Klingon.
There! There she was. Faint and moving and being difficult, but it was the captain. With all the luck she could muster she began to bring her back. The lock held, the pattern swirled and then-

“Transporter room, you got her?” called the commander, desperation tinging his voice.
“Yessir!” came the triumphant, but frazzled reply over the com.
Cybal didn’t breathe or celebrate or give a moment to rest. When the Bremen was safe then she would relax.

-----

They were allowed a two hour break. She wandered to her room but didn’t move much further then the door, she didn’t even turn the light on. She was at a loss of what to do. Her hands were still shaking, her chest still tight, her shoulders still tense.

She thought at once to visit sh’Hruvek, to see if she was okay. But as soon as Cybal moved to leave, a stray thought flittered across her mind. What if the Lieutenant was upset with her? What if she demanded to know why she almost died today because an ensign didn’t know what they were doing?

Cybal knew it was unlikely sh’Hruvek would say something like that…maybe. And to be fair to herself, she was probably over reacting. But could Cybal face her, face anyone, after almost letting people die because she wasn’t good enough? If she continued like this...I would just be irresponsible.

Maybe if she did some mundane task she’d feel better. Clear her head a bit.
She grabbed a data pad so she could work on her log in the mess hall. Yeah. That’d be good. Yeah…yeah…
Last edited by Nasha Kamalani on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ensign

Re: MED Ensign Cybal Horanda

Postby Nasha Kamalani » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:34 am

I guess we all deal with our first mission differently. Poor little Horanda, she's still squishy.

You guys might notice the MED there now.
I want to apologize if the switch in field brings about any confusion or trouble, but hopefully it’ll be a smooth transition. Of course I loved every minute of game I’ve played so far, but I think this might be better for the crew as well as myself.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:56 am

great log Nasha!

Your move to Medical is completely fine of course :) But just so you know you've been doing a great job on the Bridge!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:13 am

"Faint and moving and being difficult" is probably the best description of Sumner I've heard in ages.
Great log, Nasha!

Can't wait to see you debut as our doctor. :)

Ensign

MED Ensign Cybal Horanda - Joint Log: Adalberto

Postby Nasha Kamalani » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:14 pm

{{Present}}
Stardate 11510.15

Fire and electric sparks danced around her, but she was glued to the spot, staring down at the smooth screen of her com station. People were running around, screaming, but she couldn’t hear them. The world was mute, and yet a noise rang loudly in her ears. Something distant, and deep, and forever. She reached out to touch her screen, but the closer she got the more waxy the glass seemed. Slowly the material melted in front of her, dripping into a slick pile on the floor. She looked around. The ship was oozing, melting away. She looked at the people, arms reaching out for her, fingers and limbs slipping off and splattering to the floor in thick wet splats. She tried to turn away as one of the waxy blobs came towards her, but she was stuck to the spot. It opened its mouth, a gapping, infinite black hole. She felt like she was going to fall head first into it, and never stop falling. It pulled her closer and said “Is this seat open?”

“What?” Cybal grunted and blinked back to reality. She was sitting in the mess hall, attempting to write her log. But her eyes had glazed over and her mind had decided to play her a nice little movie.
She looked up, another ensign was standing over her, giving her a curious look. “Is this seat open? Can I take it?” he asked again.
Cybal shook herself and stood up. “All free.” She smiled at him, and picked up her cup of cold coffee. She put it into the replicator and the cup and contents fizzled away. She took a moment to appreciate the affect. If only life’s problems could be fixed so easily. Just take away all the parts and put them to use somewhere else.
Her hands were shaking, so she clasped them behind her back as she left the room. She told herself it was just an after effect of the adrenaline; she’d be back to herself in no time. But this had been her first real mission, her first time in the action. And she’d been so close to… she shook her head. She didn’t want to think about it. But then again, if only she had tried a little harder, or been faster then maybe…she shook her head harder until she was dizzy.
Taking a deep breath she leaned against the hallway wall and looked down at the PADD in her hand. Her log was only halfway done, and badly done at that. She had about an hour and a half before she was supposed to get back to her station. But she felt too caught up in the day’s events to even think about work. She didn’t shake her head again, because it wasn’t helping and because it was starting to give her a headache. So she just started walking.

-----

If she was honest with herself, what she wanted was to get drunk. Well, maybe not drunk all the way. She did have work, after all. But something to calm the thoughts in her head. Or make it so that she wasn't over thinking anymore. But she didn’t have the first clue where or how to go about that. Her experience with drinking was limited; enough to know she was a light weight but not enough to know what to drink specifically.
Then she remembered a particular officer who seemed very keen in the area of alcohol consumption. Before she had time to stop herself or think about what she was doing, her feet took off towards the quarters. Once she got there she looked at the closed door and pursed her lips, but rang the chime anyway. No going back now.

Moments later the doors opened, Tony stood there in the doorway, a PADD in his hands and a cup of coffee in his other. “Ensign….Cybal. What can I do for you?”. He motioned for her to step inside.
Cybal stepped in and was glad he at least he remembered her name this time. Fidgeting with the bottom hem of her uniform she pursed her lips together again before shakily speaking. "Hello sir. I was...”
“Tony”
“Excuse me?” she asked as he interrupted her.
“Call me Tony” he said and smiled as the doors closed behind her…
”Oh, okay then, um, Tony. Uh, well, if I'm out of line I apologize..." she smiled nervously. Steeling herself she decided that since she was already here, she might as well jump in head first. "I need alcohol advice." she said flatly looking him in the face "And maybe some 'advice' advice...after the alcohol." Her courage faltered and she quickly looked away from him, pretending to suddenly be interested in the room. "If you don't mind," she added meekly in a much quieter voice.
Tony glanced at his watch, then shrugged “Kid, after the day we’ve had, sure. Just, don’t tell anyone” he walked over to his wine cabinet, side stepping two boxes of personal items still on the floor and brought back two glasses and a bottle of rum. “Got this from my former CO, good stuff too” he placed the glasses on the coffee table and filled them up. “So what’s up?”
"Uh well. Today's mission was a bit rough." she said, eyeing one of the glasses. "I've never really drank before," she admitted as she picked it up and smelt the contents. She jerked back a bit, but took the tinniest of sips. It was an unpleasant sensation and oddly enough it made her want to drink more. "What exactly is this?" she asked clearing her throat.
“Spiced rum, it’s what greasemonkeys like me drink after a long day” he said and took a sip of his drink before resting the glass back on the table, then took a seat opposite her “I know today was rough…but you handled yourself well”
Something in Cybal’s stomach churned. "But did I really?" she said the words loudly and suddenly, startling the both of them.
Tony raised an eyebrow and took another sip of his drink.
"Sorry." she muttered, sitting down herself, the glass clutched in her hands. She stared down at it again before taking another sip, this one a little bigger. "They could have died because I couldn't get them out fast enough. Important people, who rely on good hands to do good work. People that I like. People this ship needs." she furrowed her brow and gripped the glass tightly in her hand. "There was a moment today, when you ordered me to bypass the safety protocols to get them back. How do you do that? I mean, how do you know when it's time to forget what we've been told and push through to do the job, regardless of the risk?" she spoke quickly, like the words were fighting to get out. "How do you know when you're good enough to do what the regulations say you can't?" Cybal looked up at him, searching, then back down at her glass, blushing. She took another sip and held the glass tighter.
“Because I’ve been there before. I know what the systems can and can’t do…….to a point” he took a sip of his rum and placed the glass on the table again before leaning forward, “I gave that order, because I knew the risks and I weighed them against the rewards….those systems, I rebuilt them, I’ve tweaked them. That gives me an edge. But I’ve also miscalculated……sometimes you have to accept the risks”
"So it's the experience that gives you the confidence. Confidence to take risks."
“You could say that…yes”
Risks. She thought to herself. What a calculated way to describe another person's life.
She opened her mouth to continue this thought but held back. She took a long sip, almost emptying the glass. She was gripping it so tightly her knuckles started turning a lighter color under the pressure. As she looked at the man in front of her she realized that he had probably given orders in the past that had killed people. Made mistakes that caused another's death. And yet he came back day after day to the same situation, putting himself in danger of killing another person, or himself, for the job. Everyone in Starfleet did. They all held each other's lives in their hands, believing in their own ability to keep others alive. Confidence in them self that they were doing what was best. Could she do the same? Was she that confident in her abilities?
She was about to answer her own question when the glass in her hand faltered under her grip and shattered in her hand. Glass sliced her palm and the small amount of rum left splattered to the floor mixed with blood.
"Oh my!" she said without thinking, standing up. "Oh no I'm so sorry!"
“Don’t worry….wait, I have a dermal regenerator in my toolkit” he said calmly as he stepped over to his desk and opened a small kit and brought back the device. “Give me your hand.” She held out the hand, a piece of glass embedded in her palm and blood pouring out slowly
Some sort of tension broke along with the glass. Like a tight string had snapped in her chest. She didn't know if it was a good or bad thing, and the alcohol played a major part, but she couldn't stop giggling. At least her mind was no longer on the day’s events. They were now on several different fuzzy topics at once.
Cybal slipped her hand away from his before he finished with the regenerator. She scooped up some of the larger chunks of glass and placed them on the table in a meager attempt to help. "I think I'll let sick bay deal with the rest," she chuckled and stood up "I'm going to need something else from them anyway. I'm getting dizzy."
She laughed again. "I'm going to say thank you, very much. For the alcohol and for me complaining to you. And for letting me ruin both your carpet and glass."
She went to pat his shoulder but realized her palm was still slick with blood, she recovered and gave him a thumbs up instead. "One day when I'm not a wreck, I will repay you."
Tony just stood there, the regenerator in his hand and a raised eyebrow “Sure kid, any time….see you on the Bridge”

-----

Somewhat dizzy, Cybal entered sick bay. The nurses and doctors were busy patching someone up. She didn’t want to disturb them so she found a dermal regenerator and began to heal herself. When she was done she flexed her hand. Good as new.
“You seem to know your way around a regenerator” Said a doctor coming out of the office area, seeing her with the regenerator. “Let me take a look.” He said, gesturing to her hand.
She gave him her hand and he studied it with interest. “You did a pretty good job.” He said, somewhat impressed. “Do you have medical training?”
“Some, I took a few classes at Starfleet. I thought they were pretty interesting.” She tilted her head. A thought began to formulate in her mind. The more she thought about it, the better she felt. After the day she’d had, anything that made her a bit happy was a welcome change.
She smiled. “Say doc…what exact qualifications would I need to work in here?”

Ensign

Postby Nasha Kamalani » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:19 pm

It’s a week late! Sorry.
Thanks a heck ton to Einar S who was kind enough to write with me, they did a great job! I had a lot of fun.

This is sort of a ‘explanation’ as to why Cybal moved into medical. Hopefully she’s happier there.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:01 pm

was fun! :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Ensign

MED Ensign Cybal Horanda

Postby Nasha Kamalani » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:16 am

Takes place after Mission 82, somewhat during 83 possibly.
Stardate 11601.07

Across from Cybal was a box containing a brain and heart flittering lightly on the verges of life. She was running a deep scan on the box and its contents. Since it was taking some time she decided to have lunch while she waited, a simple sandwich cut into four pieces.

Checking over the brain’s vitals once more, she grabbed a square of her meal and bit into it. “Still the same.” she said while chewing. “Like you’re in a coma.” she placed her padd on the table next her plate. “They say you should talk to people in a coma. But you don’t have ears so you can’t hear me.”

This didn’t seem to stop her, as she went on to ask, “If you get brought back to life would you be a zombie?” the heart fluttered, pumping out air instead of the blood it would be used to. “Maybe it’s what kind of body you have. If we put you in a robot you’d be a cyborg. That’s not a super terrible a fate.” She finished the first square and went onto the second, pondering the implications of a robotically enhanced Kesh Suder.

Cybal sat on a high chair and rested her chin on her palm, looking steadily at the box. She chewed her sandwich. After a while she said, “I met your alternate reality self, you know. Not for very long. She got punched in the face about 2 seconds in, then later she kind of betrayed us to a group of Klingons. One of my first missions, very exciting.” she started in on another square. “I had a mental break down after that, and now I’m in medical! Funny how things work out, yeah?” Cybal laughed then continued her previous line of thought. “Okay, so if we somehow find a way to put you into a biological body you’d be like a Frankenstein’s monster? The monster was a pretty nice fellow for the most part. I’d want to call you Frankie, but from what I’ve heard of you, you’d probably punch me.”

Cybal grabbed her padd again, and the last slice, and looked up Suder’s profile. Reading it over, she nodded her head, impressed. “There’s been a lot of murmurings about you all over the ship. You’re the talk of the town, as they say. According to your service record you’ve done a whole lot of cool things. A lot of classified stuff. Oh, and look at these medals!” She turned the padd to the box to show it the screen, then turned it back and continued to read. “You started off in medical. I bet you’d be pretty interested in this brain business. If it wasn’t yours. Would you’d feel weird working on your own brain? Or would it make you feel better? Huh, I wonder how I’d feel if my brain was in a box.” She leaned back and did really think about it. “If I was conscious in the box, I wouldn’t be able to see or hear or touch or any of that. I’d just be alive in a void. I think I’d be a bit scared.” She looked concerned. “Are you scared Miss. Suder?” Cybal gave the box an affectionate pat. “It’s okay. We have a great crew here. They’re very intense, but good people. I know they’ll try their best to get you up and running again in no time. Maybe even literally, if we get you that cyborg body!”

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Bremen