MED Ensign Cybal Horanda

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Ensign

Character Name: Cybal Horanda

Re: SCI Cadet Cybal Horanda

Postby Nasha Kamalani » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:12 am

This is my first joint log, thanks a heck ton to Shawna F for helping me out and putting up with my newbie skills.

Cybal is basically a child to everyone else but she can't resist the urge to mother everyone.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:34 am

"you'd look great in anything" is the best jab ever after the events on the Su homeworld! fantastic log from the two of you :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant

Postby Sophie Wakeling » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:22 pm

I really enjoyed this! Horanda noticing all the little interesting points, sh'Hruvek remembering her and Jameson's drinking session at Suder's memorial :) Oh, this is sooo much fun!

Ensign

SCI Ensign Cybal Horanda

Postby Nasha Kamalani » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:52 pm

{{Present}}
Mission Log - U.S.S. Bremen
Stardate 11509.17

Finally on off hours, she stumbled into her quarters and immediately collapsed into bed, uniform still on and hair still pulled back. What with the all the repairs being done to the ship, running around all day and crawling through Jefferies tubes, her body ached and her muscles protested any movement. She was on the verge of sleep when a nagging voice in her head, that sounded an awful lot like her grandmother, told her to go change. With some effort, she tried to roll off the bed, misjudged where the edge was, and fell to the floor.

She blinked up at the ceiling and sluggishly contemplated her current situation. There was a trilling sound and the ship’s computer announced an incoming transmission from Earth. Cybal allowed herself a heavy groan that seemed to decompress her chest, then asked the computer to bring the transmission through.

“CYBAL!” her Aunt Agnes’s voice yelled from the screen. “Where are you? Is your screen broken? All this work and they couldn’t put together a decent ship?? I tell you, Starfleet has gone down since I was there. When they started letting those-“

“I’m here auntie.” Cybal called and got up, moving to the screen.

Agnes was a sturdy looking woman, her hair done up in a cloth to keep stray strands away from her face. She looked Cybal up and down critically. “Look at you! You’re a mess. Don’t tell me you go onto the bridge looking like that. You’ll shame the whole family!”

Cybal decided to ignore the critique. “Thanks auntie. What can I do for you?”

“Your parents told me to congratulate you on finally making Ensign. They’re off plant, gallivanting across the galaxy. At their age! Your mother is looking it too. You should just see the wrinkles she’s allowed on her face. If she weren’t my in-law I’d tell her-“

“Wait, mom and dad are on a commission?” Cybal asked suddenly. She hadn't been told they'd be going on a mission. True, the were both still in Starfleet but they had been stationed on Earth for many years now, doing desk jobs and the like. It was strange they had been taken off together, and so suddenly.

“Girl you better stop interrupting me.” Agnes snapped.

“Sorry." she apologized. "I was just surprised. Where did they go?”

Her aunt rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. “I don’t know it’s all hush. You know how it is. Of course I left Starfleet as soon as I got married and had a kid. Irresponsible, a mother running off into space.”

“Auntie I’m supposed to be on duty, is there anything else you need?” She tried to sound as pleasant as she could, and added a smile for good measure.

“Mmmhm. Yeah all right.” she responded in a tone that said she didn’t believe her.

“Thank you for calling, anyway. I'm happy to make Ensign finally.”

“You know, I made Ensign much faster. Are you sure you’re doing everything you can to-“

“Oh look, I’m being called away. Bye auntie! Send the family some love for me.” She quickly ended the transmission. Leaning back into her chair she sighed a thousand sighs forced into one extravagant one. But she smiled. However unpleasant Aunt Agnes could come across as, she had called to congratulate her.

One of her hands went up to her neck, and touched the little pip. It was funny how the tiny thing could break through the exhaustion and make her smile again, as it had done hundreds of times that day. It was cold metal, but made her feel warm. The first of a few, she hoped, if she did her job correctly.

Which she wouldn’t be able to if she was tired.

After a quick shower she finally, gratefully, went to bed.

Ensign

Postby Nasha Kamalani » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:53 pm

Not much happens, just Cybal enjoying her little promotion

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:25 pm

We all have one of those aunts; they suck. Great log, Nasha! That pip was well-earned :)
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:03 pm

Fantastic writing, Nasha.
I loved getting to learn a bit more about our newest Ensign. I hope we never have to actually meet that aunt, though.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:04 pm

fantastic log :) congrats again on the promotion!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Ensign

SCI Ens Cybal Horanda

Postby Nasha Kamalani » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:44 pm

{{Past}}
[Cybal : Age 19]

Personal Log: Starfleet Academy

A month into the Academy, Cybal was doing relatively well. Her first roommate was an upper classmen Vulcan named Kudaya, who had accepted living with a first year due to space constraints. Cybal was doing well in most of her classes, and had even gotten into Advanced Xenolinguistics. The one course that had her troubled was Basic Outdoor Survival.

She had the book knowledge down pretty well; she could identify the more poisonous plants, write out the steps to purify water, explain why sleeping on stone at night was a bad idea. But when it came to actually performing these tasks, deep in some holographic jungle or desert, nothing seemed to come together for her.

It wasn’t that she was unfit, per se, but her body seemed to become fragile and uncooperative when asked to perform the basic physical tasks the class assigned. When asked to run, her feet, which usually did pretty well on their own, suddenly flopped awkwardly at odd angles, making her trip and fall when going just a few feet. And her arms might as well be noodles for all the good they did her.

It didn’t help that the professor had a very hands off approach, as in he would delegate the actual teaching to a upperclassmen for extra credit. To everyone’s “delight” this student teacher was K’nar, the largest Klingon anyone had ever seen. She was ruthless in her teachings and someone usually left with something broken by the end of the session.

After yet another stunning failure (Cybal had fallen face first into a pool of mud), she was eager to get out of the room before K’nar gave her yet another stern lecture.

She had just made it past the threshold of the room when K’nar yelled, “Horanda!” Cringing and turning, she cursed in her mind. So close.

“Yes sir?” she smiled sweetly.

“You’re terrible.” K’nar stated.

Her smile grew slightly genuine. “In general or…?”

“This is the simplest of classes. A Klingon child could pass it with flying colors. And yet you fail at every step.”

Brutal, but honest. “I know. I really am trying.” She said. “I just need more practice. Maybe if I had after hours training then-”

“I can’t give you special treatment. If you can’t even to the easiest of-” but K'nar’s eye had landed on something behind Cybal. Turning, the girl saw her roommate. Kudaya often waited for Cybal after her last class of the day so they could walk back to the dorm together. She was standing patiently just down the hall.

There was a long paused as K’nar stared Kudaya down. Kudaya tilted her head curiously. Suddenly K’nar’s heavy hands grabbed Cybal and pulled her back into the room, out of site. “Who. Is. That.” She demanded, leaning very close.

“My roommate. Is there something-?”

“Name! What is her name!” K’nar looked on the edge of panic. Her hands, still clenched around Cybal’s shoulders, were tightening their firm grip.

“Kudaya.” Cybal said quickly before her bones became dust.

“Kudaya “ K’nar repeated in a whisper. She looked into the distance, letting Cybal go and clutching her own chest. She rumbled off something long and deep in Klingon. Cybal roughly was able to translate it to "Before this day I did not know what beauty meant, and yet in this moment I was struck with true understanding. Before this day my heart did not beat, my soul did not live, my body did not exist. I have been visited by the Goddess; my universe has finally been created."

Cybal paused. “That was poetic…” She tilted her head, a bit taken aback by the sudden declaration of love. “Would you…like for me to introduce you to her?”

K’nar’s eyes widened. Speaking again in her native tongue she said, “You would do me such an honor?”

Cybal smiled. This was more her element. “Of course. I’m sure she’d love, well, she wouldn’t despise meeting you.” Taking lead, she left the room again and made her way to Kudaya, who raised a questioning eyebrow at the company.

“Hi Aya. This is the student teacher for my class. K’nar of house…?”

The Klingon reached out a hand to Kudaya, “Of house Ranark, lady. It brings me honor to meet you.”

Kudaya looked at the hand and then took it. For a moment it seemed K’nar was trying to squeeze the hand to a pulp but Kudaya made no alteration to her facial expression and eventually they parted. It seemed the Vulcan passed whatever test she’d been given because the smile on K’nar’s face became even bigger. She was breathing heavily, excited.

“You are strong!” she said joyfully.

“No more than is typical of my species.”

The Klingon laughed and kept laughing until it was awkward. Suddenly she slapped Cybal on the back, “Horanda! Friend of mine! Meet me tomorrow at 19:00 hours for your physical training tutoring. You are also invited! Lady Kudaya!”

“I have already passed Basic Outdoor Survival.” She informed.

K’nar laughed again, very loudly. Cybal had a fixed smile of ‘oh boy’ on her face.

“Of course!” K’nar shouted. “I shall take my leave!” and she ran off rather quickly.

Cybal pursed her lips and forced herself not to laugh. “How’s your hand?”

“Undamaged. It was a rather curious encounter.”

“She thinks you’re…what did she say… the definition of beauty? The creator of her universe?”

“She is wrong. And superfluous.”

“It’s cute, Aya.” Cybal smiled. “She has a crush on you. It’s understandable, you are very attractive. Is this your first time having an admirer?

Kudaya hesitated, “It is. I should tell her it is futile immediately."

“Probably for the best. Knowing Klingons it might be difficult.” Cybal shrugged. “Aaaaand I’m hungry. Let’s get some food.”

Kudaya nodded and followed. After sometime she said, “She said I was pretty?”

Cybal laughed the rest of the way to the mess hall.
Last edited by Nasha Kamalani on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ensign

Postby Nasha Kamalani » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:47 pm

More school time fun. I think Cybal shows her personality off best when interacting with friends.

If anyone could tell me what the procedure is after someone gets promoted? Do I keep the thread title as is or am I supposed to change it to Ens somehow?

And if anyone knows Klingon I'd be super grateful for grammar help.

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Bremen