MED Ensign Cybal Horanda

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Ensign

Character Name: Cybal Horanda

MED Ensign Cybal Horanda

Postby Nasha Kamalani » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:07 pm

{{Present}}
Mission Log - U.S.S. Bremen
Stardate 11508.06

Cybal Horanda suddenly felt something push her. Not expecting it, she stumbled through the open door and into a room, not unlike the cell she had just been in. She hit the ground hard, her knees protesting. It took her a moment but when she finally looked up, a sight both friendly and unfriendly met her eyes.

Lieutenant Commander Anya Jameson looked down at her, but there was a handmade garrote at the ready. Jameson looked surprised, almost angry, but recognition flashed on her face and she lowered her weapon. She crouched down to help Cybal up. “Are you okay?” she asks grimly, “Did they hurt you?”

“I’m okay, just a bit ruffled,” Cybal got up shakily, her knees stung but she had other concerns. She brushed off dust that wasn’t there, the cell was clean but the motion somehow comforted her. Momentary comfort was abandoned, though, as she eyed the LtCmdr’s weapon.

“Are you going to choke me?” she asked only half joking; Jameson looked ready to pounce at anything.

“Not you.” she said slowly, “One of them, maybe” she gestured rigidly to the door. Cybal herself had been left untouched, for the most part. She wondered vaguely if her LtCmdr could say the same. She’d clearly been busy, and looked a little ragged. Cybal took the garrote as evidence that the other woman was eager to get into action.

“Do you have an escape plant, yet?” she asked hopefully, again forgetting her rank.

Jameson moved to a corner of the room and gestured to follow. Cybal noticed it was in an area not well seen by others.

“Not really, hence the weapon. But the Captain…” she looked concerned, “She’s trying to use her words, and her own mortality, to convince them to let us out.”

Cybal wondered momentarily how she knew that, and was about to ask when she remembered that the LtCmdr was telepathic, half Betazoid. She must be keeping tabs on the captain.
Jameson frowned suddenly, staring at the wall but not seeing it. Something had caught her attention mentally. Cybal opened her mouth to ask what was going on, but Jameson stopped her. “Hold on,” she muttered. There was a paused. When she looked up finally she seemed strained, like the mental effort had drained her. “I sent word to the others to find the captain.” She explained. “We’re safe in here, we’ll be okay.”

Worry poured over Cybal’s face. Had something happened to the Captain? The Su didn’t seem the type to murder but…a little bubble of panic that threatened to escape rose slightly. “Did something happen? Is the Captain okay?” she asked quickly.

“She played her cards a little too well. But I have faith in sh’Hruvek and Harlan. They’ll find her.” Jameson nodded, “We’ll be okay.” She added warmly, patting the ensign’s shoulder.

The compassion was enough to clear Cybal’s mind. She shook herself. She was a Starfleet officer! She wasn’t allowed to turn into a nervous wreck during a crisis like this. And needing others to take care of her was just going to get them both in trouble.

Cybal breathed deeply and stood up straight. “Yes sir.” She said clearly. “I will look around to see if there’s any way out.”

Jameson nodded. She stayed in the corner, concentrating, while Cybal worked her way around the room. She didn’t really expect to find anything, but moving kept her busy and being busy kept her calm. When she passed by the door the 3rd time she hear something.

“Sir!” she said quickly, and pressed her ear against the smooth surface, “I think I hear something.”

Jameson rushed over, and listened. There was shouting in the hallway. “Harlan! Is that you?” called out the LtCmdr. “I’m with Horanda. We’re okay, did you get the Captain?”

There was more yelling in the hallway, then suddenly their door slides open. Andrew Harlan stood in the hallway, holding up a bloodied and almost unconscious Captain Sumner. “Come on.” He gruffed, then turned his head “sh’Hruvek hurry up with those transporter buttons.” He called out.

“Let’s go.” Jameson said to Horanda, who nodded and followed quickly into the hallway.

There were a few people there, most of them looking at the captain with worry.

Harlan tossed a transporter button to Jameson then turned to Horanda, “The blue naked lady has yours.” she informed before moving on to insure everyone was ready.

Turning her head slowly, Cybal saw her commanding science officer standing rather abashedly next to a strange machine, very much unclothed. Trying hard not to blush, but blushing very much anyway, Cybal delicately took the transporter button while keeping her eyes away from the gleaming blue skin of her superior.

There was some discussion and finally, thankfully, the transporters were activated. Cybal felt herself being moved and suddenly the transport room appeared before her and she was on the Bremen. She felt a flood of relief before reminding herself that it wasn’t over yet.

Taking another deep breath, steeling herself, she followed her superiors to the bridge.
Last edited by Nasha Kamalani on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ensign

Re: SCI Cadet Cybal Horanda

Postby Nasha Kamalani » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:26 pm

I hope I did this correctly, if anyone has any comment if it's okay or not, I would appreciate it very much! Also, I'm sorry it's a lot later then I had planned.
Last edited by Nasha Kamalani on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:02 am

That was really good, Nasha.
What a great start. We got a sense of the character, got a summary of the mission and how Cybal felt during it all.

Nice work, indeed.

Lieutenant

Postby Sophie Wakeling » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:31 pm

I approve!! :) Great first log!

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:59 pm

That was a pretty fantastic log, I can't wait to read more!
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Ensign

SCI Cadet Cybal Horanda

Postby Nasha Kamalani » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:54 pm

{{Past}}
[Cybal : Age 19]

Personal Log: Cybal Horanda

Cybal woke up to the cloudy smell of cooking meats. Someone downstairs was cooking breakfast, most likely her grandparents with the help of a few of her cousins. The family only bothered doing that on special occasions. As she rolled out of bed, dreads falling into her face while she did so, she sleepily wondered what the celebration was for. The ancient and massive house creaked with the normal flurry of activity, she could hear footsteps over the floorboards above her and loud discussions from the family room below. Throwing on her bathrobe, she wondered what the celebration was for. It was only when she reached the hallway, and the smell of cooking breakfast intensified, that she remembered: Today, after all the testing and studying and trials, she was starting at Starfleet Academy.

Standing completely still she blinked once, then twice, then closed her eyes completely. The anxiety and excitement of the past weeks found their home again at the pit of her stomach. Her breath became quick, excited. When she finally moved it wasn’t towards the kitchen, instead she turned around completely and made her way to the stairs leading to the floor above. Eventually she reached the bedroom door of her cousin, Niles. Not bothering to knock she entered the room quickly and shut the door quietly behind her.

“I thought you might show up.” Her cousin said from his desk “Hoped you would. I’m just about to melt through the floor.” He had tilted his chair toward the open window, fanning himself. The morning was cool, it was always cool in the old house, and she knew the heat he was feeling was from nerves. Seeing him distressed was oddly comforting. She calmed down enough so that she could finally take one deep breath. Oxygen returning to her brain, she responded. “I actually completely forgot when I woke up.” She admitted.

“Lucky you. I barely slept at all.” He groaned. “Have you been downstairs yet?”

“No, but Maams and Grands are cooking up an entire farm, from the smell of it.”

They laughed, and both were grateful for the other’s company.

Though they were only a few months apart in age, Niles and Cybal had never been close growing up. They had other cousins and siblings and friends that they got along with better. It was only within the past years, when they began their rigorous studying and testing to get into the academy, that they had found solace in one another. Since then, they’d spent many late nights cramming and quizzing each other. But other than wanting to get into Starfleet, they were very different people.

Niles was athletic, a party goer and loved being in dangerous situations. He wanted to command his own ship one day, and fight in space battles and be a hero. He was confident and forward.

Cybal liked to spend her time talking to people, learning about cultures and religions. She was joining Starfleet because she wanted to see new worlds, meet as many different people as possible, and learn as much as she could. She was quiet but eager.

The two had often had disagreements on varying philosophical topics. Niles always tried to get Cybal to see why fighting in deathly battles was exciting, and Cybal often scolded Niles for being closed minded to other cultures. But they got along anyway, and were found in each other’s company most days.

“We better get downstairs before Maams drags us down herself.” Niles admitted, Cybal nodded in agreement. They made their way to the kitchen, where a roar of applause met them. Niles went over to his parents, who started talking about their own first days at Starfleet. Cybal went to make herself a coffee and was met with several hugs and congratulations from various family members on her way. Her youngest sister, Quinnie, tugged at her elbow while Cybal input her coffee order in the replicator.

Quinnie was 12, and out of the twenty people living in the house Cybal got along with her best.

“You look like you might faint.” Quinnie said in way of a good morning.

After taking a deep drink from her mug “I might just die instead.”

“I don’t think Grands would appreciate it, he’s been cooking since 5 and would probably wrestle you from the Grim himself so you could eat this meal.”

Cybal had to laugh. The two chatted easily while heading to the long dining room table where they helped set down silverware and plates before taking their normal seats. The food was served, it was amazing how much there was, considering it was all hand cooked instead of made by replicator. Cybal ate so much she felt like she might explode, and was happy to have a feeling other than ‘nervous’ floating around.

Most people in her family had gone to Starfleet, so while she ate she and Niles were hit with a barrage of stories from their aunts and uncles and cousins about their own time at Starfleet, and they were instructed to visit various places and to say hello to various professors and do various things during their time there. The breakfast was loud and noisy and full of food, just like every gathering the household had.

Finally the plates were clearing and the chatter wasn’t as interrupted by chewing of food. Maams stood up, ancient but face full of life, and things went quiet.

“Cybal Horanda, Niles Horanda, we are proud of you. Getting this far is an accomplishment. May you have many great years in your future. Your family is happy for you.” She drank from her orange juice cup and there was cheering. It was the same exact speech she’d given for every family member doing basically anything that called for celebration, but it worked.

Then it was a quick rush, plates were moved to the kitchen and people hugged and kissed and cried and Niles and Cybal slowly dragged themselves to the car. Much sooner then she wanted, Cybal was looking at the house in the rearview mirror and it was fading into the distance. The car was such a stark difference to the loudness and bustling of the house, she couldn’t help but feel sad in the relative silence. She whispered one last farewell, to her family and to her previous life, and then set her eyes on the road ahead of her.
Last edited by Nasha Kamalani on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ensign

Postby Nasha Kamalani » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:57 pm

I think it said I was allowed to post back story here? If not I can move it or delete it or what ever the proper thing to do is.
I thought it might be nice to show a little bit of Horanda's past, mostly her relationship with her expansive family, since they play an important part in her life.

also if there are any grievous grammar or spelling mistakes feel free to say here or pm me about it, because I love writing but I am not very good at it.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:42 pm

"Not very good at it", you say? I disagree, that was an absolutely fantastic bit of writing! And the perfect place for it, learning about a character's past and their back story makes what they're currently doing that much more involved.

Bravo, keep up the fantastic work!
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Commander

Postby Einar S » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:06 pm

really great log! I enjoyed it tremendously :) Logs can either be about what your character is feeling in relation to the last mission, flashbacks, backstories, whatever you feel like :) The more history the better!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Ensign

SCI Cadet Cybal Horanda - Joint Log: sh’Hruvek

Postby Nasha Kamalani » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:09 am

{{Present}}
Mission Log - U.S.S. Bremen
Stardate 11508.27

The Captain dismissed them all from the transport room, staring at the blonde woman who had caused such a commotion. Cybal shuffled out of the room awkwardly, head spinning with curiosity. She walked slowly, waiting for her direct superior, Lt. Raqiin sh'Hruvek, to catch up. Raquiin was the head of the science officers and there was the slightest chance that she, more than anyone, would be willing to let the Cadet in on what was going on.

Raquiin finally made her way down the hallway and Cybal took in step beside her, peering at her superior’s face. Cybal was very curious, but she didn’t want her inquiring to further upset the other woman and she was already looking a bit shaken. Cybal decided to try to make things light.

“I’m a bit new at all this,” she began, “but something tells me most delegation party meetings don’t usually go that way.”

All the tumultuous emotions at the dead woman left Raqiin in a bit of a state. Not that she couldn't handle her empathy, but it was so loud in there. Maybe, in some ways, she still hadn't recovered from being split apart (and then there was the matter of the Captain's request, not enough time to truly process that either). Loud and volatile. She was somewhat paler than she had been upon arrival, although, really, with her complexion, that might be hard to tell.

And her cadet was waiting for her, apparently. Raqiin straightened up, making herself revel in more of the quiet now that people had scattered and left. Even gave a ghost of a smile. "Cadet Horanda. You'd be right. Nobody saw fit to inform us that a previously dead woman would be joining us. It's hard for some of the others to handle." A sigh. "Whenever you're told a new mission is going to be easy, do yourself a favor and don't believe it for a second."

“Oh.” Cybal said softly. That certainly explained why LtCmdr Jameson had slapped this Kesh Suder, and LtCmdr Adalberto had just run out of the room. It must have been like seeing a ghost. She took a moment to see if she could put herself in that situation, how she would feel. Most likely shocked. Depending on the person, maybe happy. Maybe even angry?

But then there was something else that tugged at the edge of her mind. She turned her attention to it and remembered a part of the altercation. “There was something LtCmdr Jameson said…” she tried to remember the exact words, “She said ‘Our universe's Suder?’ Do you know what that means?” she spoke without really thinking, the words supplied by her curiosity more than anything.

"There's a complicated history," Raqiin started delicately. "Even I'm not privy to all the details, and I'm not sure if I'm at liberty to share them." It had certainly been an interesting time drinking with Jameson, listening to her talk of the not-so-late captain, while also going over the clues given to them by that archaeologist, and that missing human colony...

"She was loved by many people, including, you may have guessed, a few of our own crew. I only knew her for a short while before she..." Her antenna drooped at the memory of helping carrying her to sickbay, the stricken panic when she stopped breathing. "Before that version of her died. Whoever or whatever it was, wherever it--she--came from."

The Cadet was looking up at the blue woman’s antenna, and their physical responses to her inner emotional workings.

It was a painful enough time trying to process grief, but to have all that undone in a moment by the reappearance of what said grief was caused by…that’s a whole different kind of hurt. And having a somewhat stranger barge in and start asking intimate questions about the whole thing couldn’t be helpful. Cybal felt almost ashamed that her curiosity had taken her this far; she was dangerously close to teetering over the boundary of acceptable prying, both as an outsider and a cadet.

“I can’t even begin to imagine how all this feels. That’s a lot of emotions to shift through, and at the beginning of a new mission on top of it all.” her brow creased in concern.

Looking at the state the lieutenant was in, and remembering everyone’s reactions in the transport room, Cybal had a strong urge to wrap everyone in blankets and give them warm tea.

She wanted to say something, the right thing, to put the lieutenant at ease. But the words weren’t supplying themselves, she could think of nothing that would be of comfort.

“I’ll do my best this mission to lessen the pressure on you, sir.” She finally offered, “And if there’s anything you need of me, I’m here to help.” She tried a comforting smile, unsure if her attempt at kindness was wanted or even appropriate. But she would be dead in the ground before someone was left unattended to in front of her. “I apologize if I intruded too much with my questions.”

"No, no, you're fine." It was up to Raqiin to reassure her subordinates, after all. "You're curious about everything internally exploding. I just can't give you all the answers, that's all." Which was unfortunate, but she could only smile at the need to comfort radiating off of the cadet.

"Don't worry about making things easy for me. I've just gotten used to doing a lot myself. The hands-on approach. Even if this is a diplomatic mission, I'm sure there will be plenty for you to do. And if you get bored, I can always find something for you. And you get to show off your dress uniform! Everyone complains about them, but I think they look dashing. My only problem is how it makes me look washed out." Was she babbling? Maybe she was starting to babble. Right, refocus, sh'Hruvek, refocus! "What I'm trying to say is, I'm sure you'll do your job admirably. Especially if you stay inquisitive."

“That won’t be a problem, then, I usually have a never ending stream of questions I want to ask.” Cybal laughed, put at ease a bit. She looked down at her white uniform and ran her hand over the front. “I agree the uniforms are spiffy, maybe a bit uncomfortable. I wouldn’t worry, you look great in them.” She smiled widely. “You’d look great in anything,” she added as an afterthought, then blushed because it was probably true. Cybal looked around quickly, then realized they’d been loitering outside a turbo lift. “Oh shoot, I just remembered I have stuffs to do. Cadety things, and the like. You know ‘grunt work’. Not that I mind, of course.” She added. “Thank you for taking the time to talk to me. I really appreciate it.”

Raqiin's smile stayed in place, though she found the comment about looking good in anything to be...a little forward. Sounds like something Oleg would say. But you know what? She was okay to let that go without a comment. "All right, you go do your cadet-y things, Cadet; I'll not hold you up. I've got my own chief science-y things to do after all. See you on the bridge."

Cybal smiled and nodded. As she stepped away one last question flit through her mind. She paused and turned back. “Sir, one more thing if you wouldn’t mind.” Her eyes were focused on things in the distance, as if she were thinking about something else, “What kind of tea do you like best?”
Last edited by Nasha Kamalani on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to U.S.S. Bremen