CO Captain Sara Sumner

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander

Re: CO Commander Sara Sumner

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:11 pm

That asymmetrical symbol. The bane of my existence as STE's graphic designer!

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Re: CO Commander Sara Sumner

Postby C. J. Short » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:28 am

Einar S wrote:Henry never liked Tony, but I like to think they trusted each other yeah :) Great log CJ

As much as Henry 'likes' anyone, really...
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Re: CO Captain Sara Sumner

Postby C. J. Short » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:26 am

SD 11508.31 w/ 'Kesh Suder' (Aoibhe)

Sara stared silently at the woman called 'Kesh Suder,' not sure what to make of the situation. Even if she hadn't just been imprisoned as a result of her naivete, she would have been skeptical. Now, she was almost sure this person was an impostor.

"I'm willing to believe," she started, folding her arms, "that a person can be brought back from death within minutes. Depending on the circumstances, maybe even an hour or two. My brother sat with Kesh Suder's corpse for several." She narrowed her eyes, feeling more than a little anger on behalf of Henry.

"You'd think something like that would be bigger news."

Kesh shrugged once and finally stepped off the transporter pad. "It would be bigger news, I agree...", she said, matter-of-factly. She gestured to the transporter chief. "Maybe this is a discussion best had in private, Captain Summer." She looked the younger woman up and down and barely hid a look of satisfaction. "Congratulations on your promotion, by the way. I hope you have better luck with it than I did..." With that, Suder walked out into the corridor beyond, not waiting to see if Sumner was following.

Sara sighed softly, glancing to Harlan in the control booth before following the woman out of the transporter room, towards a turbolift.

"My ready room, then," she said, not much compromise in her tone. Suder entered the Ready Room like she owned it, surveying the younger woman's decor with a critical eye. Finally, she turned her attention back to Sumner.

"Henry sat with a body, not mine," Kesh explained briefly as she sat gracefully in the centre of Sumner's curving window seat, effectively claiming the entire thing for herself. "I'm told that my own body had been removed by then."

Sara frowned in thought, removing her dress jacket and tossing into the corner as she sat at her desk. She looked at Kesh, still not ready to buy it.

"So why swap bodies? Why fake your death for months only to pop back up during some random diplomatic mission?" she asked, her jaw clenching briefly. "Why do that to your crew? To Henry?"

"Well, it's not like I've been living it up since then, you know. I was dead," Kesh stated casually. "What you see before you is the result of months of medical work, months of therapy, both physical and psychological. But frankly, I don't care if my sudden reappearance is causing shockwaves on board. Your crew will get over it, Sara."

Suder showed little emotion. Some part of Sara wanted to believe her. She could only imagine what coming back from the dead might do to someone emotionally. The soft, caring part of her wanted to nod, say she understood, and she might have, were this a few months ago. Were she not the Captain of her ship, responsible for her crew. Were it not for the string of careless blunders that had marked her early tenure. Were it not for the Su. She sighed softly and leaned back in her chair.

"You didn't answer my question," she said. "Why are you here? Why show up for this mission, specifically? And before you tell me it's not my business, this is my ship, and my crew, so it damn well is my business."

Kesh surveyed the human woman with interest.

"The House of Durak...", she explained, shifting in the seat and leaning back more comfortably, "has begun to gather... residents... on Organia. They are entitled to, of course, we share mining rights. Minor part of the Khitomer agreement, apparently, but their movements are making HQ nervous nonetheless." She picked some fluff off her sleeve, dropping it on Summer's pristine carpet. "I was once engaged to the younger heir of that house. Intel thinks I have the best chance of ensuring a peaceful outcome."

Sara watched Kesh quietly, mulling that over a bit. She didn't know if it was true; Starfleet had been light on details in their mission orders. She wanted to go on the attack, to badger the woman until she discovered what this was all really about, but she simply took a deep, calming breath. It would take some time to get to Organia. This didn't need to be solved immediately, if there was anything to solve in the first place.

"Fair enough," she said, lightly tapping a finger against her armrest. "I'm still not sure I understand why they've kept your survival a secret. Surely some visits from friends, loved ones, might have made all that rehab a little more bearable," she offered.

"No," Suder replied, her show of comfort slipping. "No." She covered with a smile. "You know I spent much time working for and with Intel. Get in deep enough, you start to owe favors everywhere. Deeper still, your ass is theirs. I am dedicated to Starfleet, but I owe Intel my life. They kept me secret til I became useful. I obeyed orders to stay hidden." She stood up and moved to the replicator, browsing coffee options. "On the subject of secrets... How's Henry?"

Something about Kesh's slip gave Sara pause. Something about the look in the woman's eye; perhaps this really was Kesh Suder. She wasn't ready to believe it fully, yet, but she admitted to herself it was a possibility.

"He left Starfleet after you died," she answered. "Went to Orion space to help mentor some kids; part of his sentence for the incident leading to the court martial. He seemed happy there." She chewed lightly on nothing in particular, watching Kesh browse.

"So, SFI revived you, rehabbed you, and kept you a secret until now. How important and/or dangerous is this mission, exactly?"

Kesh stalled, using the time to select jestral tea, a blend known to calm Betazoid nerves. She carefully picked up the transparent cup, leaving the replicated saucer behind, and took a long sip.

"Well, let me put it this way... ", she confided, walking over to Sumner's desk and sitting on the front corner, "The skinny is that the Klingons are testing the border. Organia could be the flash point, and after all that madness with the Tzenkethi... well, Starfleet are unwilling, and probably unprepared, for another border conflict. This mission is important. How dangerous it is depends on what kind of a reception we receive. Bottom line, I hope you can eat gagh with a smile on your face."

Sara laughed softly, pushing herself out of her chair and looking for her discarded uniform jacket from earlier, finding it tucked haphazardly behind an end-table. She slipped it on and turned to Kesh.

"I can do a lot of things with a smile on my face," she said, her lips curling sweetly in an example. "Like ask you to submit to a genetic scan. Just to put my mind at ease, of course. I have a full crew to look out for. I can't just take your word for it."

Kesh sipped her tea.

"Of course, Sara. Anything I can do to set your mind at ease." The blonde woman stood up, rested her empty cup on the desk, and settled the Dutch braid in her hair, teasing in a small tress that had slipped out of place. "I admire your caution, it's a good quality in a new captain, in small doses... Shall we see to this immediately?" she inquired, with a rictus grin. Sara finished fastening her jacket, taking a moment to think before returning her gaze to Kesh.

"Soon. Get settled, first; I want to be there, and there's a few things I need to do first," she said.

"Well, you're the boss..." Suder smiled. "You just let me know when you finally have your ducks in a row." Suder stood and turned gracefully, heading for the exit. "Thank you for the tea."

Sara watched her go, not sure what to make of any of it. She sighed softly as the doors closed, her and her crew tumbling headlong into another powder keg. Picking up her dress jacket, she paused and looked at her reflection in the window, eyeing the fourth pip resting comfortably on her collar.

"God damn right I'm the boss," she muttered.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby Einar S » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:13 pm

hah! loved that last line to bits. Good log you guys
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:52 pm

SD 11508.20 w/ Thalev Idrani (played by Andrew)

Thalev couldn't decide which flowers to use. Flowers didn't seem a very Sara thing. But you were supposed to have flowers at a memorial service, weren't you? This wasn't the sort of thing he was any good at, ironically the sort of thing he'd usually have lent on Sara to take care of. In his quarters on Andor, he sat on the end of his bed and looked out the window at nothing in particular.

Elsewhere, on the Bremen, Sara stepped tiredly into her ready room. The trip through the wormhole had been harrowing, on top of her throbbing arm, and the fact that she hadn't eaten anything decent in a couple days; there was almost nothing she wanted more in the world than a nice, greasy meal, and a bed. It was the 'almost' that had directed her to the ready room instead of her quarters. Now that Starfleet had been alerted, she had another call to make.

"Thalev Idrani, Andor," she called, after activating her terminal. She ran a hand through her hair, having little idea what she might say. Angry his thoughts were interrupted, Thalev stood up and paced across the room.

"Who is it?" he bellowed.

"Captain Sara Natalie Sumner, USS Bremen," the computer dryly responded.

"On screen." He found himself in front of an desktop monitor. "Now I don't know what kind of sick joke this is, pretending to... what...?" He suddenly wished he had been sitting down. Sara tried her best to smile, but it was hard to pull off with the sudden tears in her eyes, and the sight of Thalev. She could only imagine what he'd been through; this wasn't the first time one had thought the other lost, and it must have seemed like a cruel joke to him to lose her then. She tried to think of something to say that might undo it all, but she knew there was nothing.

"I-I'm so sorry," she managed, barely above a whisper.

"Sorry?" he said, his eyes starting to wet too. "You've just saved me from picking out flowers..." He let out a small laugh as the tears started to roll down his face and he reached his hand out to the screen as if he could check she was real. Sara loosed a laugh at that, wiping at her eyes and leaning forward to wrap her arms around the monitor, as if it were him.

"There was a wormhole, of all things," she said, her voice somewhat muffled.

"We can't keep doing this," he told her. "I can't keep losing you." Sara sat back and nodded, sniffling heavily as she wiped at her eyes.

"I know. I know, I know..." She took a deep, shaky breath, folding her arms on the desk and resting her head on them. She looked to Thalev, and forced herself to let go of whatever reservations she might have had left.

"Marry me, Thalev," Sara said. Time seemed to stop as she heard the words leave her mouth, and she became acutely aware of herself, and her wants and needs, and just how little she'd done to meet them over the course of her life. Well, she wanted this. She wanted a life with Thalev.

"Marry me, and come live with me on the Bremen. From now on, wherever we go, we go together."

He still couldn't believe this was happening. It was surreal. Their lives hadn't been easy, full of turmoil. It had been bearable when they were together, and insufferable when they were apart. He nodded, "I will," he replied to her, wiping away the last of his drying tears.

"I can't think of anything I'd rather do. I love you so much." He smiled at her, all of the pain of losing her vanishing in a moment and replaced with utter joy. "I'm retiring," he announced. "And not to some crappy desk job, I mean from Starfleet, from the Andor military, from it all. Just promise me we'll get off the Bremen once in a while." Damn this desktop monitor, he wanted to embrace her and he couldn't wait.

Sara laughed through renewed tears, these of joy, and gave an enthusiastic nod.

"I'd love to see them try and stop us," she said.

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:48 pm

aaaaaaaaaw.
Does this mean we get a wedding on the Bremen?!?

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:05 pm

can I plan the bachelor party?
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant

Postby Babette C » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:13 pm

So sweet.. :glomp: Congrats, you two :-)
CMO - Lt. Isabelle Rousseau - USS Hyperion NCC-77989
AMB - Lt. JG Rebecca Terell - USS Sentinel NCC-79088

Lieutenant

Postby Sophie Wakeling » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:09 pm

I'm wondering what Jo would be in the wedding....would they make her wear a dress?

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:14 pm

Yes. Something slinky that covers everything but hides nothing.

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Bremen