CO Captain Sara Sumner

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Re: CO Commander Sara Sumner

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:37 pm

SD 11506.11

Sara held her head in her hands, staring down, blankly, at her desk. She'd erred, and erred big, taking far too long to decide to go after the Dreadnaught. How many ships, and how many people had been lost as a result?

She wanted to berate herself, to drown herself in doubt and grief, but she couldn't. There were too many voices in her head telling her otherwise: Captain Rome telling her to suck it up; Thalev telling her that the best thing she could do for those lost was to succeed the next time; and Henry reminding her that it was the Tzenkethi who had killed her comrades, and not her.

Most important, however, was what she told herself: that she would never make that mistake again. That she would make these renegade Tzenkethi regret ever setting foot in Federation space. That she would prove her worth as a Captain. That she would take charge.

Taking a deep breath, she closed the open drawer of her desk, deciding against the whiskey. It wasn't the time. Instead, she opened her personal console, and tapped an icon.

"Stark, put me through to the Captain of the Newburg," she said.

"Yes, Ma'am," he replied. The Federation logo was soon replaced by Captain Nurin, a somewhat grizzled looking, middle-aged man, though it was difficult to tell how much of that was simply the situation.

"Captain Nuring," she said, putting on a brief, polite smile.

"Captain Sumner," he replied, furrowing his brow slightly. "What can I do for you?"

"We didn't get that dreadnaught, but we winged it," she said, to which he gave a nod. "How many ships do we have left?" Nuring reached for a nearby PADD and glanced at it.

"About a dozen," he said, a frown on his features. She had an idea of the regret he was feeling at that number.

"How many are ready to go right now?" she continued. Nuring raised an eyebrow at the young, rookie Captain.

"What do you have in mind?" he asked.

"We damaged it, but if we don't follow up soon, it will be for nothing." She took a deep breath, trying not to think too much about what she was suggesting. "We have to hit it again, and we need to go now." Nuring stared hard at the monitor, as if gauging whether she had completely lost her shit. After another moment, he looked back at his PADD.

"The Lagrange, Belgrade, and Brahe are without warp, so they're out. Looks like everyone else is ready to go, if needed," he said. Sara gave a nod, mostly to assure herself.

"Spread the word. We'll send you our telemetry from the battle; I want everyone gunning for that door," she said. Nuring looked at her again, but gave a nod.

"And the Admirals?" he asked.

"I'll clear it with them," she replied. In reality, she was simply going to inform them, but it was best not to seem too brash.

"This is a lot of ships to risk just for one Tzenkethi cap," he said, still appraising her. She gave a small frown.

"Those dreadnaughts are what's holding the Tzenkethi line together. We take them out, the line falls."

Nuring only nodded, a grim smile on his features.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:41 pm

SD 11506.25 w/ GD Aoibhe

Eltaria Dio, Grand Magister of the Elevated Peoples of Su swept into the octagonal function room, a warm smile crinkling her golden-tinted eyes and curling her wide, soft lips. Her thick, curling black hair was a masterpiece, as was befitting the ruler of so enlightened a planet; waves of hair rolled from her temple to the nape of her neck, the lines fanning out across her scalp on ever-widening segments. The troughs between waves were adorned with flakes of raw gold, the occasional ceremonial stone encased in intricate filigree, and scatterings of pearls.

"Welcome strangers, welcome!" she called with glee to the assembled Bremen crew, her toned arms wide and bare to the shoulders. "Your arrival is a cause for celebration!"

She moved swiftly around her own people, setting them tasks; gather refreshments, and guests... only the finest of both should be admitted. Then swiftly, she scanned the Federation folk. Her eyes alighted on Sara Sumner, flicked to her hair, and her smile broadened further. "You... ah, yes, you must be the leader of this fine band." With some difficulty, Sara managed to turn her attention from the exotic gathering hall, putting on her best smile as the Grand Magister approached.

"Commander Sara Sumner, of the Federation Starship Bremen," she greeted, extending her hand briefly, reconsidering the move, and then offering it more confidently. "A custom," she explained. "When my species greets someone, we briefly take their hand." She felt less confident as she explained it. Dio at first appeared confused, then delighted by this silly little social offering.

"How strange..." she said as she offered her hand to be grasped before taking Sara's other hand and repeating the gesture awkwardly. "Tell me, from whence does this grasping of hands come? Does your species communicate through contact telepathy? Pheromones, perhaps? Or, is it a method of ensuring the other party is not armed? Perhaps it is a first step in a courtship ritual?" Dio, guided Sara away from her crew as she spoke, and towards the first trays of food and drink that were being carried in by servers who seemed as thrilled to see the aliens as their Grand Magister.Sara took a small breath and rolled with it. "I think it's partly the third one. In addition, humans put a lot of emotional importance on touch. I'm sure we have something in the ship's computer about it," she offered. She smiled as she took a glass of some pink, bubbling liquid, giving it a small sniff.

"I must apologize, Grand Magister; we usually have protocol for first contact proceedings. As you might have guessed, however, our arrival here has left us all a little out of sorts."

"Of course, of course... How remiss of me, Sara," she said, as she glanced around, checking that all was being set up correctly. "Are there any rituals, any words, or activities you wish to fulfill before we see to your comfort here with us?" Sara knew there was something in the handbook about the general message she was to convey, but try as she might, she couldn't remember it. It also would have felt trite, and for a few reasons, she felt it would be best to simply be genuine.

"Really, all I want to say at this point is 'thank you,' Grand Magister. We'd be in bad shape without your help."

"You fell into our hands, Sara," Eltaria said, with a tilt of her elegant head. "And while our people no longer believe in a super-natural being who guides and tests us, we have nonetheless held on to our belief in the significance of the chance meeting. I am sure we have a lot to learn from you and your people."
Eltaria, ushered over a server with a tray of flat, round green morsels. "These are kfadi fruit. They go exceptionally well with the drink you have chosen." She selected a perfectly round specimen and held it inches from Sumner's mouth.

Sara didn't hesitate much, accepting the morsel and closing her eyes. It was crunchy and sweet, and seemed to envelop her tongue in a pleasing fashion. As informed, she took a sip of the pink liquid, expecting a complementary flavor. Instead, the liquid took on an effervescent quality, the delicious, fruity flavor sending tingles along her mouth and throat, and filling her sinuses with the pleasant scent.

Her muscles seemed to relax as one, the tension of the previous month giving way. Her eyes began to water, and for a brief moment, she worried she might cry in front of the Grand Magister. Taking a deep breath, she managed to stave off the urge, blinking a little as she looked to Eltaria.

"That was divine," she said, her voice only cracking a little.

"That is but the beginning..." Eltaria laughed gayly, amused by her guests reaction. "Tell me about your people, your ways," she urged. "I see variation in your crew. Are you all the same species? Different genders, perhaps? The blue one... has she special significance for your culture?" Sara shook off the effects of the kfadi fruit, smiling at the question.

"Our ship and crew represent the United Federation of Planets, a coalition of hundreds of different worlds and species, all with the goal of peaceful coexistence." She smiled and gestured to herself.

"I am human, a dual-gendered species, and one of the four founding species of the Federation," she explained, before nodding to sh'Hruvek. "She is an Andorian, another founder species. They have four genders. The other founding species are Tellarites," she said, pointing out a crewman, "and Vulcans," doing likewise. She turned to Eltaria.

"We would be more than happy to share our ship's cultural database with you," Sara offered. "It would take hours to summarize them all."

"Fascinating... Just fascinating," the Grand Magister replied, "your database will be most welcome. Ours is a planet with one dominant species. We belong to no group or collective, but prefer to learn about the Galaxy around us through visitors such as yourselves. We find this takes time, but we are gifted with infinite patience and we find that we can learn more in our own environment where there are fewer distractions or dangers. Exploration is hazardous..." She linked arms with Sumner and began to stroll around the gathering crowd. All Su eyes were on them, curiosity on every face. "Your... mode of introduction was unique, admittedly." She smiled and fluttered a light hand at a few of her people. They took the hint, going and mingling nervously with the assembled Bremen crew.
"Doubtless, you have wounded... "

Sara gave a nod, smiling occasionally at those who chose to stare. Slowly, she was managing to transition to a more diplomatic mindset; while she was worried about getting her crew home safely, she at least felt like they were in good hands.

"We do," she confirmed. "You are right, that exploration can be dangerous. While the majority of the species we've found have been willing to coexist peacefully, there are more than a few who have been aggressive. We try to avoid open conflict, but, unfortunately, we're not always successful. Now is one such time." She frowned some, not wanting to focus too much on the Tzenkethi war.

"I wonder; is your species long-lived?"

"Too long for some, not long enough for others," she replied, thinking. "I find it difficult to quantify time with a civilisation I know little about... We... live longer than many species on Su," she struggled to explain, "but there are rare exceptional species that live much, much longer." Eltaria took hold of a glass of clear liquid and sipped at it elegantly. "We have some excellent examples in our many menagerie. Perhaps your crew would enjoy a tour once they have recovered?" Sara felt her stomach lurch ever so slightly. Something about the word 'examples' set off an alarm, one which she desperately hopes was false.

"Examples?" she asked, deciding not to dance around it. "What do you mean?" Dio blinked and turned her golden eyes towards Sara.

"You do not study your world up close?" she inquired, surprised. "Here, we gather specimens from the wild, and house them for a time that we may better study and understand their ways. Mating rituals, life cycles, the primitive societal structures of lower lifeforms... Even basic biology can be better understood in controlled circumstances." She noticed Sara's relaxed expression had been sharpened with mild concern. "Oh, we take care of them, Sara, worry not. We're enlightened. We see to their needs, make sure their enclosures are large, and release them once we have studied them sufficiently. Their safety is paramount." Dio smiled proudly. "Many of our achievements have come through similar programs. Even your injured crew are this very moment benefiting from the bio regeneration techniques we learned of from some of our smaller reptile species."

Sara facepalmed, laughing softly to herself and shaking her head.

"Yes, of course, that makes sense," she offered, realizing Eltaria was basically talking about a zoo. "My apologies, Grand Magister. Being Captain of a starship... well, it can make one a little paranoid. For a moment, I thought you meant you collected examples of the off-world species you encountered, and I was worried you were going to ask for one of us to stay." She gave a sheepish grin.

"Not one of my smarter moments." Dio chuckled kindly.

"Think nothing of it." A young Su woman with a markedly simpler hairdo stepped softly to the magister's side. She held out a small, thin padd for Dio to read. "Hm.. very well, and be sure to see that anyone in need of medical care is well looked after," she replied, holding on to the padd. Turning to Sumner, she bowed slightly. "We have accommodation set aside for your people not far from here, while we repair your vessel. I am sure spending some time with a planet firm beneath your feet will be welcome."

Sara turned to face the Grand Magister, glad she didn't take offense at her base assumption. She bowed her head in kind.

"It would be most welcome, Grand Magister. Truly, I can't thank you enough for your hospitality; it's been a rough, uh, while," she said, hoping that word would translate. She figured 'month' wouldn't mean much to Eltaria.

"Welcome, stranger, welcome," Dio intoned with a gracious sweep of her long fingers. "Now, if you will excuse me, I must attend to a few small matters of state. I hope to see you again later, Sara."

"I'm sure we will," she said, finding herself looking forward to it. She watched the Grand Magister depart, then turned to find more of that kfadi fruit.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:29 am

CJ and Aoibhe... that was brilliant!

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:45 pm

agreed!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:02 pm

SD 11507.16

Sara had been awake for a while, staring at the crude ceiling and getting downright pissed off. She'd trusted Dio, or had at least tried to. She'd told herself that her nagging worries were just paranoia. She'd taken a chance and it had backfired, and now it wasn't just here paying for it; it was also most of her crew. The failed risks were starting to become a habit, and she knew she was to blame, at least partially.

"Oh, look over here," came a voice from nearby. "Says this one's the leader," it said, with interest. Sara sat up slowly in her admittedly comfortable bed, practically growling as she got to her feet. If they were gonna treat her like an animal, she might as well act a bit like one. She moved closer to the glass, looking to the pair of Su, both looking in awe as she approached, like she was some exotic creature to ogle.

In that moment, she hated them. She hated their ridiculous hair, and their stupid faces, and their whole lying ass planet. A knot grew in her stomach, and her expression could only be described as 'smoldering.'

"Do you think she always looks like that?" the male-looking one asked.

"It's... intriguing," his female-looking companion remarked.

"What's that noise she's making?" he asked, as Sara snorted heavily. The pair jumped back as a large wad of some gooey fluid hit the window.

"The fuck are you lookin' at?" Sara called, giving the glass a stiff kick. The pair backed off a bit, but didn't leave, the female wearing a large smile.

"Ohhh, she's a spirited one!" she remarked.

"Your mom was spirited when I fucked her in the ass last night," Sara offered. The male stifled a laugh as the female looked aghast.

"How incredibly rude!" the woman remarked. Sara displayed a pair of rude gestures at her, though she was sure the sign didn't mean much to the Su. Still, perhaps the context of the situation would make the meaning clear.

"This is by far my favorite exhibit," he said, grinning as Sara loosed a long string of expletives. His companion lightly smacked him on the arm, and the two watched Sara's uncaptainly display for a few more moments before moving on. Sara was oddly disappointed to see them leave; she was just starting to get to her good stuff.

"Eat a bag of dicks!" she shouted after them, giving the glass another frustrated kick. Her chest heaved with angry breaths as she set about destroying whatever she could in her enclosure. Eventually, her rage subsided, and she sat heavily on her bed, which she'd spared. With her head in her hands, she tried to calm herself, to take stock of the situation.

She looked down at her uniform, seeing that they'd left her combadge. It was something, at least.

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:03 am

I'm pretty sure that's the first time a Starfleet Captain has said "eat a bag of dicks."
This was really well written, CJ. I can feel her frustration in every line.

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:10 am

That was funny :D Nice log CJ

Commander

Postby Einar S » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:01 pm

hahah. I love Sara
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:08 pm

SD 11507.30

Sara was now out of ideas. She had hoped that not all of the Su were self-absorbed asshats, that some of them might value the rights of sentient life, but the clear evidence to the contrary made her tears more real that she'd intended. It didn't help that she'd put two holes in her arm for some reason that wasn't quite clear.

She felt helpless. She was trapped in a box, an amusement for what currently occupied the top spot in her list of asshole species. Something had happened to sh'Hruvek, and she hadn't managed to keep track of what was going on with Harlan. Her last hope, now, laid in the communication from Tony, assuming that had actually happened.

Gently rapping her head against the glass, Sara tried to pull herself together. She was hungry, and had lost a small amount of blood. She'd done her best to avoid anything overly vital, and she was tempted to find something to tie around the wounds; perhaps some of the sheet scraps, or her shirt. Then she looked out to the crowd, and she saw Harlan speaking quietly to a pair of Su.

She had to believe Tony would get them out. She had to remember that part of being in command meant trusting your crew. Not that she had much choice in the matter, but she trusted Tony; Henry had been high on him, and that was good enough for her. She watched the crowd as they chattered excitedly amongst themselves, pointing out her crude blood drawings. She started to realize she wasn't entirely helpless; Tony would undoubtedly benefit from a continued distraction.

Continuing to slowly bleed, Sara climbed to her feet, catching the crowd's attention as she moved to a still-clean part of the glass. She began to draw an asymmetrical symbol, foreign to the Su, but warmly familiar to any member of Starfleet.

"Another story, then."

Commander

Postby Einar S » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:42 pm

Henry never liked Tony, but I like to think they trusted each other yeah :) Great log CJ
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Bremen