CO Captain Sara Sumner

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

CO Captain Sara Sumner

Postby C. J. Short » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:53 pm

<<<Personal Log - Sara Sumner, Commander USS Hyperion NCC - 77989, Acting Executive Officer>>>
<<<Stardate 11502.21
<<<Begin Recording>>>

I received an encoded message from Admiral Walker today, informally informing me of my next assignment, once things are straightened out here on the Hyperion, assuming that's possible. He's giving me command of the USS Bremen, a fine ship, and one my brother, Henry, was previously stationed on. Truth be told, I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it.

I'm honored, of course. I think I'm also a little bitter. I wasn't ok with losing command of Sigma Rho. I mean, I get the reasoning. War with the Tzenkethi seems increasingly likely, since we can't seem to start any kind of sustained dialogue with them. I get not wanting to have a rookie CO in charge of a high-value target like that, wanting someone more experienced. It still felt like a slap, though. To be told I'm not good enough...

I don't react well to that, at least not on the inside. I put my smile on, and nodded, and told HQ I understood. I bounced around a bit, and then Admiral Walker told me I was going to the Hyperion as XO, at least temporarily. I had the fleeting thought that I would be stuck as an XO forever. Then I thought about working with Captain Rome again. I'd be lying if I said that didn't make me feel better. Rome is a good man, and a great Captain, and getting to serve as his XO again has been... soul cleansing, I think.

So, I feel a lot of different things about this new assignment. I knew the Hyperion was going to be a temporary assignment, but I didn't know it'd be this temporary. Just when things were starting to feel normal, I'm going to have to leave again, and I'm going to have to tell the Captain, who's short on people he can trust as it is. At the same time, It's good to know that at least one of the Brass thinks I deserve a shot at command. If I'm honest with myself, I think Rome would agree, and would be happy for me. And me... I feel like I have something to prove. I'm going to command the hell out of the Bremen, and show HQ I would have been more than good enough to command the Rho in a combat situation. As for the Bremen's crew, I will greet them graciously, tell them I have faith in them, and that I'm sure we'll be one of the finest crews in the fleet.

How I really feel... well, I believe the attached audio file will be a sufficient indicator of that.

<<<End Recording>>>
<<<Audio File Attached - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNxKpYOOYvM >>>
Last edited by C. J. Short on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Re: CO Commander Sara Sumner

Postby Einar S » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:01 pm

I'm honestly so giddy about this. Sad to lose Griffiths but Sara is a great replacement :) And deserves this command!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:01 pm

Great intro log, CJ!
Welcome aboard!

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:32 pm

SD 11503.12

Sara was struck by the sudden silence as the doors to her new Ready Room slid shut behind her. The bustle of the bridge crew adjustments had given way to the low humming of the engine, enough to add a slightly, barely perceptible pressure to the room. It was as a bubble, the Captain and Ship alone together, each one telling the other how it was feeling without having to say a word. The thrum was steady, consistent; the Bremen was ready for whatever the future held for her. Sara's heartbeat did not share the same steadiness.

She loosed a slow, heavy sigh, running her hands over her face, trying to swallow that slowly growing urge to break down. This... this was the culmination of her life. Here, this moment: every second of her existence, from her struggles for her father's attention and doing what she could to support her brother, to the freedom of sitting in a fighter's cockpit, to the unexpected joys and pains of loving Thalev Idrani, whose loss was still fresh in her soul, despite her desire to feel otherwise. It all lead to this moment, and there was something about the sudden silence, the sense that it was just her and the ship, that made her aware of it.

She forced herself to take a slow, steadying breath, wiping away what few tears had managed to well. She was tired; the last month had been filled with stress, and it had been getting to her, despite her usually-sunny demeanor. She had been incensed and devastated when she'd lost the Rho. It had validated every quiet insecurity she'd had about herself: that she didn't know what she was doing, that she wasn't good enough for the job.

'Bullshit,' she heard a voice in her head say. She couldn't tell if it sounded like Henry's or Captain Rome's; perhaps it had been some amalgam of both. Her hands clenched lightly into fists, and she forced herself to agree. That was bullshit. She knew her strength. She knew what she had accomplished in life; she wasn't even 30 years old, and she was already an experienced Commanding Officer. How many in Starfleet could say the same? With a slight huff, she walked around the desk to her chair, sitting in it carefully, letting herself get used to the feel. She had a lot of work ahead, and she knew she couldn't afford to reflect too long. However, she allowed herself one more thought.

To this point, she had lived her life for others. Whether it had been trying to get her father to acknowledge her, or having to support Henry, or trying to impress her teachers enough to accept her alternative attitudes, or falling in love with an Andorian, finally feeling like she could stand the idea of both marriage and children, and suddenly losing it all in one blinking message on a PADD... In all of that, she felt she could count on one hand the number of important things she'd done for herself. Hell, even joining Starfleet had been the result of her going along with Henry. But now, here, when it was just her and the soft purr of the USS Bremen... her life was hers.

With that realization, she allowed a small smile to curve her lips, and she picked up her first PADD as Comman-... as Captain of the Bremen.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby Einar S » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:51 pm

Wonderful log CJ :) Sara will undoubtedly be a fine Captain!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:31 pm

SD 11504.16

She didn't want to say the Tzenkethi were primitive; that would be an unfair and skewed assumption to make. They were, however, direct, assuming the Autarch was a decent indication of what to expect from other Tzenkethi. The Autarch seemed to think the Bremen was now hers, an assertion of dominance that a simple 'you're mistaken' would not repel. Sara had to be on point. She had to show that she was in command not as a matter of status or course, but as a matter of merit. She would need to be strong and aggressive in her ownership of the vessel, but had to be careful not to go so far as to insult the Autarch. It was a delicate balance, but not an impossible one.

Of course, all of this was secondary to the vessel now bearing down on them. The Bremen wasn't the fastest ship, and with the QSD out of the question in enemy territory, a battle seemed inevitable. The rear pulse cannons, which had seemed like overkill to her initially, were about to be put to work.

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:49 pm

SD 11504.23

The cold air and sudden silence of the Ready Room hit Sara like a polar wall, and, for a brief moment, she felt the weight of the world, or at least the Bremen, lift from her shoulders. It had been and hour and a half since the battle - if one could call it that - and she was finally taking her turn in relief from the heat and pressure of the Bridge. She moved to her nearby plush sofa, collapsing into it, her damp tank top like a cold press against her skin.

She wasn't fully relaxed, of course. She found it hard to believe any Captain truly could, considering all that depended on them, and she found that Captain Rome's surliness made all the more sense. A number of issues pressed on her mind, not the least of which was their damaged warp drive. The news wasn't looking good; the port nacelle had suffered significant structural damage, which would likely require a spacedock to fully repair. That wasn't an option, obviously, and time was an issue. She trusted Adalberto to come up with a solution, though; Henry had always spoken highly of his ability, and his character, and she had found him to be a capable surrogate for her non-existent XO.

Then there was the Autarch. While she didn't enjoy having her competence questioned on her own bridge, she had to believe the crew wouldn't put much stock into what the leader of their current enemies had to say, deposed or not. The Tzenkethi would grumble and be snide, but in the end, she would get to her people, and indeed be alive, because of their actions. Until then, Sara would just have to endure.

She forced herself to get up, moving to her desk and bringing up her console to check the latest war reports. As she read about the dire situation at the Rho, she thought about her own actions, and her sudden gambit. While the Autarch had called it audacious and reckless, she preferred to think of it as daring, though she suspected the line between the two was ill-defined. Indeed, her brother would say they were one and the same, and she wasn't entirely sure that wasn't true. It had been audacious, and daring and/or reckless, and it had worked, for the most part. While they were damaged and stalled, she recalled the sight of the capital ship's weaponry.

The Bremen might have won a stand-up fight, thanks to its upgrades, but she had no doubt they'd be far worse off than they were now. Two battles, one with a horde of Tzenkethi fighters, and the other with a capital ship, and they'd managed not only to survive both engagements, but they'd also yet to lose a crew member. She knew that wouldn't always be the case, of course; her experiences aboard the Scimitar had taught her as much. Still, despite the war, and the danger they still found themselves in, she believed she couldn't have asked for a better start to her command of the Bremen, and she hoped her crew felt the same.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:21 am

what a wonderful log CJ :) now you know the hardships of starship command!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:30 pm

I'm really starting to love Sara, you know.
She's a great captain.

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Tue May 05, 2015 9:06 pm

SD 11504.30

The swishing of doors, and an increasingly familiar silence met Sara as she stepped into her quarters, feeling utterly defeated. She'd just finished speaking with Major Deiter about the incident in Sickbay, and it hadn't gone well, to say the least; he'd done all but outright accuse her of causing the man's death, and, deep down, she didn't think she would have been able to disagree if he had.

In a few short hours, a successful mission had turned into an unmitigated disaster. Even though the man was a MACO, she still considered him part of her crew. She understood that there were cultural differences between the Federation and Tzenkethi, and that they handled things differently, and her instinct was to blame herself for not doing more to accommodate those differences. But that was unreasonable; both parties knew their understanding of each other was limited, and while she and the crew had gone out of their way to try and make things comfortable for the Tzenkethi entourage, they had made no such effort to adapt.

She couldn't forget the sight of the Autarch simply standing there, watching as the MACO was torn to shreds. That had been her response to Sara's plea to stop the altercation, to stand and watch. That had been the moment Sara had had enough, and regardless of how grim the situation seemed now, she didn't regret her decision to segregate the Tzenkethi. The crew wasn't safe with them free, when simply standing there was apparently reason enough for execution, and, this far into enemy territory, the crew's safety was her primary concern. The Autarch would be reunited with her people, and the Bremen's mission would be complete, and Starfleet Command could yell at her all they want, but she was done playing nice.

With a long, soft sigh, Sara slipped out of her jacket and top, in desperate need of a shower, and maybe a hug. Briefly, she wished Thalev could be there, if only so she had someone she could vent to, but she forced herself to let that thought go. He wasn't there, and he wasn't going to be. All she had was herself.

As she stepped into the shower, she couldn't help but wonder if that would be enough.
Last edited by C. J. Short on Tue May 05, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to U.S.S. Bremen