TAC Chief Warrant Officer Andrew Harlan

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Lieutenant JG

Character Name: Marcus "Racer" Trevanion

TAC CW3 Andrew Harlan - 11511.12

Postby Gunther Vermeulen » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:16 am

Today,
stardate 11511.16
0722hrs

Sat on the forgiving carpet floor with a set of pliers and a screwdriver, Harlan felt almost offended by the elaborate styling of his quarters on the Bremen. He was used to hard metal bunks, sleeping mats in patched-up tents, hard cots in communal night rooms, the lot... This place's comfort seemed to him too much of a contrast, too far up the ladder when compared to the bulk of StarFleet during any past war effort. Even old cruisers like the Mirandas had far less plush and space than this little exploratory vessel here. It wasn't all right, he felt, but anyway...
Andrew disconnected the first of the two power lines that ran from behind the wall panel he removed four days ago, and plugged it back into it's conduit, making sure the length of cable was replaced, neatly coiled up, behind the adjacent panel.

-

Yesterday morning
0001hrs

From underneath his matte black forage cap, the tensed-up chief waited patiently for the upcoming change of shifts, and with it, personnel. Crouched down low inside the base's air conditioning ducts that ran above the hold's security checkpoint, he saw the new duo of low grade SFI officers arrive for their graveyard shift.
Having checked deeply coded footage from soon after Ayja's earlier successful attempt, he knew the folks about to go off duty now had to do one final perimiter round, showing the next people where things had been changed or added to the manifest.
As soon as they stepped through the huge entrance door, Harlan slipped in behind them.

-

Today
0731hrs

Working slowly and meticulously, Andrew disconnected the second power line, sending his box into alarm mode again, red lights blinking all over. This time, he'd removed the system alert coupling. Nobody on the bridge would be able to see anything amiss on TAC two console today.
He slowly lowered the newly acquired battery pack into its custom designed slot, very gently, until it reached the fastener stop near the bottom. With a firm tap, the power source locked onto the clamps and the box's contacts.
He waited patiently for the automated self-diagnostics to complete.

-

Yesterday
0016hrs

Bam. Darkness and an echo.
Satisfied after their round, al four security buffs left the hold, said good night to each other (half of them genuine, the others with a load of sarcasm) and went on with whatever the hell they were supposed to be doing from now on. Andrew activated his negative biosignal emitter, waited for the green light to flash once, put on his night vision goggles and lowerd himself down to the floor, heading straight for where his target should be stored. As he searched, the old warrior couldn't help but smile briefly. Earlier that day, he'd found his dark mistress' previously lush room completely abandoned. The place had been stripped bare to the walls, even the carpet was removed, all to provide a blank canvas to whoever the next tenant was going to be. Harlan smiled, also because even deep system digging did not reveal a single trace of the previous owner. He knew she had chosen a new life, different, remote, of her own choice.

-

Today
0802hrs

With a nudge and a soft magnetic click, the panel in Harlan's deck five room reattached itself, leaving no trace of the frantic mess of wiring that was spread out across the floor these past few days.
Harlan stood up, stretching his muscles for a few moment, before walking over to the securable drawer and having a final look at the three blue strips of light, indicating just over half a charge worth of battery load. Satisfied it should be enough to last him a good few more months, the chief nodded and shoved the drawer shut, locking it again under a new code: 1090930.

-

Yesterday
0615hrs

Prize in hand, Chief Warrant Officer Andrew Harlan climbed out of the air duct, down into a station corner undergoing reconstruction. He checked quickly for people, but the workers' shift wouldn't start for another good 125 minutes. Satisfied by his succesful raid and subsequent unnoticed escape, he smiled, tucked away his goggles and pulled of his cap. He dumped both in the nearest garbage tube, to be automatically dematerialized and later recycled as coffee mugs, worker helmets or power line tubing, whatever.
Again donning his regular long coat, Harlan walked off, rounded a corner and turned towards starbase 212's main promenade.
Behind him, in the dark of the not quite finished hallway, a newly attached security camera whirred back to its normal pitch, and sixty levels down, in the stations' SFI monitoring room, an unremarkable little red light came on.

Lieutenant, Junior Grade Marcus "Racer" Trevanion
Tactical Officer
USS Bremen
-
CW3 Andrew Harlan / SFI & Section 31 Admiral Cix Jordaïn, AWOL

Commander

Re: TAC Chief Warrant Officer Andrew Harlan

Postby Einar S » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:29 am

what's going on? seriously!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:37 pm

Harlan needed a power unit, so he stole one from the station, using sneaky techniques that are not on his list of known skills... brought it back to his room, and plugged it into the mysterious box none of you have seen yet. Now it has power for another while. Phew!

:)

Commander

Postby Einar S » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:02 pm

I know that! I want to know about that box!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:49 pm

You will! ;)

Lieutenant JG

TAC CW3 Andrew Harlan - sd1151203

Postby Gunther Vermeulen » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:18 pm

Andrew sped across a clearing, keeping his tempo constant, which was harder to do in the tall grasses than in between the forest trees. The warmth from the high sun didn't really help either, but at least he could see where his feet would generally be landing with each stride. It also enabled him to check his self-winding mechanical watch (which had no lights of its own) and then guess how far he still had to go before reaching the cabin's outdoor shower. Sighing, he picked up the pace a little.

Earlier, Harlan's shift had ended soon after him sending Tony the text reply to that man's mission update request. Just a dry "Understood, Bremen. Please continue your survey and report your conclusions when complete.", with a copy of their standing orders attached.
To his brass-weary ears, that meant something like "You were nearby and available, so we sent you out to do something simple, for once. Try not to screw up, enjoy the calm and, please, don't bother us until you're done..."

Running helped his to clear his head and regain focus. That dumb and very much preventable battery incident had jumbled his thoughts, put too many failure scenarios in his head, to many to handle all at once. Over the last several weeks, he had felt himself slowly numbing down, letting his usual level of alertness drop ever more frequently. Even his knife hadn't been properly cleaned since the last time he had met Ajya.

Ajya...

The chief leapt over a fallen log, his eyes adjusting to the dim shine beneath the dense douglas fir canopy.

It hadn't been a surprise when Sumner summoned him about the incident. She knew things. Harlan had read that quite clearly when she had asked him about the Su report anomaly. He couldn't help but look up to the tree branches, wondering whether they were monitoring him right there, on his day off. Ofcourse they were...
His gaze skyward, the next fallen log escaped his attention, so when Andrew's shin connected with it he felt his body tumbling down the sloping hillside. The third tree trunk down turned out to be impossible to dodge, so he instinctively shielded his face behind his sinewy forearms, bracing for impact. Then the broad fir winked out of existance as the holodeck's safety system intervened.

An instant later, Harlan found himself flat out on his back, looking up at the cloudless blue sky through another patch of tall grass, and felt utterly ridiculous. Distractions were supposed to cost you, stakes had consequences, falls were meant to hurt. Someone tampered with his preferred settings, or rather, untampered his tampering. "Thank you, I guess...", he whispered to the air above.

Shaking his head, he got up. The cabin was not far off now, he could just glimpse it across next hill's the crest. Settling for a gentle jog, Andrew Harlan made his way across the unkept lawn and enjoyed a cold shower under the gentle shine of the afternoon summer sun.

"Computer, exit..." Harlan said twenty minutes later, and stepped through the portal. He turned left and walked on, towelling his hair on the way to his room.

Tactical Officer
USS Bremen
-

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:44 pm

"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Lieutenant JG

CO Captain Sara Sumner and TAC CW3 Andrew Harlan

Postby Gunther Vermeulen » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:07 pm

CO Captain Sara Sumner
TAC CW3 Andrew Harlan

Stardate 11512.17

Sara had been rubbing her eyes for a while, little stars bursting behind her eyelids as she tried to fathom what she'd just been told. Harlan was in possession of Kesh Suder's heart and brain, for some reason. She suspected it had to do with this planet that he'd inadvertently destroyed. Her brain was busy imagining all kinds of batshit insane scenarios that might possibly explain this, but she was fairly certain it was beyond her ability to do so.

Finally, she heaved a sigh, looking at Harlan for a moment before slowly stepping away, grabbing a chair, and dragging it over to the cell. No chance in hell this was going to be a short story.

"Alright, Chief. Start talking," she said.

Andrew was still on the floor and shifted to sitting cross legged, facing her and stared at the carpet in front of him. He took a good while before answering, replaying past events in his head, clearing out the clutter. It had been a while since he last spoke truth, after all.

"Kesh... well, technically, she's a complication. The kind that sort of takes over once they arise, you know. I just happened to be near enough when she... well, yeah." He swallowed and took a deep breath, then looked up at Sumner's face, his own a mix of both determination and regret.

It was as good a place to start as any, Sara thought.

"What exactly is it you're hoping to do with Kesh's organs?" she asked, curious as to how much Harlan had this planned out, or if he was just winging it.

He looked to the side, scratched his scalp, inhaled sharply and rubbed his bearded left cheek.

"What do you think? Find a way to get her back, ofcourse."

Harlan knew of a way, but that plan had proven to be too complicated, too many variables to balance, so he needed another, simpler way. There were ideas, but still, over the last few months it had slowly dawned on him that he wouldn't be able to pull off such a thing all by himself.

"It was not her time, Sara. She wasn't ready."

Sara sighed softly, her expression sympathetic. She'd never known Kesh personally, but if her brother's opinion of her was any indication, it wasn't surprising that Harlan was showing this level of... whatever this was. Devotion? Obsession?

"So, you want to resurrect Kesh. What does this have to do with Twissel, or the signal, assuming it's real?" she pressed. There was a lot more she wanted to know, but time was something of an issue. She needed to know if she would be handing Harlan over to Starfleet, or if she was about to do something crazy.

"Oh, it is real alright", Harlan said as he got back to his feet, straightening his tunic.

"That survey took five years to complete, far too much data to send through subspace, so I need us to go there. Why not go alone, you might ask? 'cause I'm not sure if I can stand it. Eleven billion people, captain," he stressed each syllable "eleven billion, gone, because they 'might' become a threat in the twenty-eight century or so..."

"Keshir Suder wasn't my goal, Sara Well, not until she decided to die right then and there. I took my risks and went deep under because of Twissel itself. Resurrection? Yes. But on a somewhat grander scale..."

"We don't have a lot of time for oratory, Chief," Sara said with a small sigh. "I need details. What are you planning to do?"Andrew nodded and ran over the list in his head before answering.

"Well... blow up a neutron star, basically." He coughed, a little nervous.
"Twissel would need a crack in local spacetime, Kesh needs a new body.

For anything to work, we'll need far more energy than our core can output. That probe should be signalling the location of a piece of heavy ordnance. If intact and retrievable, we could use it to tap Noys Beta." He paused for a deep breath. "How to do all that? I'm not entirely sure. There's some pretty clever people on board who might have ideas. Wether it's worth trying is now,
unfortunately, up to you, Captain."Sara raised an eyebrow, a lot of this going over her head. In all honesty, she was just a flight jock who was good at listening; messing with spacetime wasn't a specialty.

"What exactly would that accomplish? We're not messing with time, are we?
The handbook is very specific about not messing with time."

"No, no. Just pulling their split-off piece of universe back into ours. We actually did research the Hobus event rather thoroughly, you know..."Sara nodded noncommittally, making a note to ask sh'Hruvek to explain it to her more simply later. For now, she only had one more question...

"Why not come to me directly about this? Why did you feel the need to risk prison by forging orders?" she asked.

Shaking his head, he turned and paced around in his cell, his hands making broad gestures with each sentence.

"I had to wait for that probe to finish... I was trained not to trust anyone... It all sounds like a madman's fantasy... Take your pick, Sara. Besides, if Command finds out: poof, no more Mister Harlan."

She shook her head slowly.

"A crew can't function without trust, Mr. Harlan. The crew has to be able to trust its Captain, and vice versa; believe me, it doesn't end well when there's no trust." She got up from her seat, pacing slowly behind it for a few moments while she thought.

"And you're only poofed if they find out before we save eleven billion people," she added, turning to face him. "I'm going to let you out. You'll work with sh'Hruvek to figure out whatever it is you're going to do, and we'll do what we can for Kesh. But, until further notice, you're off bridge duty, and are restricted from sensitive areas of the ship until further notice. Sound fair?"

The Chief Warrant Officer stopped pacing too and turned his head towards Sumner, his brows arching a little upwards.
"Most generous, Captain."

He stepped closer to the force field, anticipating it dropping soon, and pulled his tunic and collar straight again. Not often had he been able to conclude any type of interrogation so favourably using only soft argumentation. Then again, this captain was quite sincere, acting more out of heart than logic, he felt. Harlan was a hardliner, but one that could spot the gentle path when it showed its face.

"I will confine my roaming to my room, sickbay and the astrometrics lab, then. There we can run simulations and put some theory to the test, once we've measured that probe's find."

He wasn't really sure what to feel. Discomfort for speaking this openly, gratitude for this chance, impatience to get started, anxiety about folks handling Keshir Suder's essence... He decided to let it al slip and returned to his focussed state. The fewer distractions, the better. Harlan closed his eyes for a moment, clearing his thoughts, trying like a Vulcan to rid himself of emotion, which he nearly succeeded at. Having barely slept at all these past few days, Andrew wasn't necessarily ready for the work at hand. But grateful he most certainly was.

Tactical Officer
USS Bremen
-

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:30 pm

Holy cow. Great log and I look forward to yelling at both of you for being out of your minds! haha
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:49 am

"What exactly would that accomplish? We're not messing with time, are we?
The handbook is very specific about not messing with time."

I admit, I loled.
Great joint log, guys. Nice amount of info to ruminate over.

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Bremen