TAC Chief Warrant Officer Andrew Harlan

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: TAC Chief Warrant Officer Andrew Harlan

Postby James Greenman » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:49 pm

Absolutely stunning log, that was a joy to read all the way to the end. Nicely done!
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Lieutenant JG

Character Name: Marcus "Racer" Trevanion

TAC CW3 Andrew Harlan - 11506.08

Postby Gunther Vermeulen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:08 pm

-

Andrew took off his tunic as he walked, wiping his hands on it and trying to rub some of the captain's blood from them. He made sure to trail the others by a good few meters.

This went far too easy, all of it, he thought. Well, except for Sumner leaking blood out of her self inflicted wounds. He let his mind wander, trying to let it float though the puzzle pieces, to see if any connection or projection arose, but none made any real sense.

The Su systems' incredible scanning resolution should have cut through Tony's ruse easily, even detecting the lack of fault causing the core's overloading. And who was that other young woman with Adalberto? Even with shHruvek fused together again, Harlan still counted one head too many. The words "experiment" and "simulation" drifted past his mind's eye, but he stopped and shook his head, dismissing those thoughts for now.

Stood at the entrance to his quarters, the Chief quickly checked behind him and then slid through the swooshing doors, all under the engineering alarm's blaring noises.

Tossing his blooded vest aside, not bothering to rinse his hands, Andrew went straight to the storage hold of his suite and dialed a seven digit code - 1020310. The lower compartiment hissed open, revealing a metallic fortified cube shaped box, with a blue lined indicator showing two lights out of five, one solid, one blinking.

Warrant Officer Harlan gritted his teeth, shoved the drawer shut and quickly headed out to continue his way towards the bridge. He stood straight at attention as the turbolift cruised upwards, very aware that a recharge will be needed soon, preferably without the costly power drain showing on any of the Bremen's engineering's panels...

-
Lieutenant, Junior Grade Marcus "Racer" Trevanion
Tactical Officer
USS Bremen
-
CW3 Andrew Harlan / SFI & Section 31 Admiral Cix Jordaïn, AWOL

Commander

Postby Einar S » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:30 pm

gah! Tell us already!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:15 pm

Oooooooooooooooooh

Lieutenant

Postby Sophie Wakeling » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:38 am

I wanna know!

Lieutenant JG

Postby Gunther Vermeulen » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:49 pm

TAC Chief Warrant Officer Andrew Harlan - 11508.20

Thanks to Aoibhe for co-authoring this log!

---

Harlan could almost hear the bluesy beat of her presence before he'd even caught sight of her. He knew she was here somewhere. A heady mix of jasmine, rose and something unidentifiably spicy coaxed him closer to the spot he'd encountered her last. And as he turned the corner, there she was. Still as her post, still purring at passers by like a god-damned pro. Today she was draped in red, a deep, sensuous swathe of fabric that at once covered her completely and yet somehow also seemed to reveal everything. He wondered briefly how many requests for transfer she'd sent in since they'd last spoken. "Too long, I say... a little longer, they say", the memory of her thick, accented voice swirled in his head.

Andrew slowed his walk and approached her, inspecting her every curve with much attention to detail, of course. As her eyes met his he tossed up a coin, not latinum, but gold. He noticed the brief instant of recognition, and the faintest hint of a frown on her brow. "Real AU," he said and smiled "call me old fashioned if you like...". The man stopped only a few centimeters short of her lips and inhaled the deep and complex perfume she wore, the familiar hint of cinnamon adding a few beats to his heart rate. Keeping up the act for the room's eyes, he leaned a little closer and spoke close to her ear "Missed me yet, toots?"
She tilted her head towards him subtly, obscuring the tension around her mouth from general view. "I meant what I said before." Her voice was barely above a whisper, but still her accent lay thick on every syllable. She rested a single finger on his gold and avoiding eye contact. "The next time I see you, I will turn in the opposite direction." She straightened. "Your trinket is no use to me."

"Good, it's not for you to have anyway." He closed his hand around the coin and smiled again as a shot of disappointment spread across her face, then he stood back and gave her a short bow, all gentlemanlike. "Tell me then, what is it that would be of use to you, milady?"
"You, getting off my station..." she replied directly, his public display making her nervous. "One night was enough..." she added. "You get no more!"

Andrew sighed and looked down for a few seconds, then shrugged, inhaled deeply and looked up at her exotic face, where a few strands of delicate hair hung down her left cheek, trembling slightly.
"Oh well, I thought it was you who needed to get out of this place. I guess not, then..." Turning his head to look further down the corridor, he tossed up the coin again, fully aware that she'd know its value outside of Federation space, and took a first step to walk away.

The coin was quickly snatched out of the air. She held it between her index and middle fingers, examining it for a moment. "This," she said, stepping towards him with swaying hips, "makes up for the trouble you caused me last time. You want more, you know my rates..." she ran the cold coin down his rough cheek. "You don't have the latinum, you don't have me." She leant against him slowly, her khol-smudged eyes flickering to his lips.
He felt his breathing slowed by the warmth of her proximity. With her temptingly clad curves this close, he shifted his hip a little, just enough for her to feel the bulge in his left pocket and cause a barely audible metallic clang inside the purse he held there. Closed pocket, that was. This night, he didn't want to waste time with more thief-versus-cop roleplay. He felt a soft smile form around his lips, involuntary, as if by some spell of hers.
Andrew winked. "Let's roll."

She bit her lip for a moment, then took his hand, leading him away from the crowded promenade.

---

Minutes later, she had them secure and alone in the moving turbolift. Still holding his hand, she deftly curled into his arms and melted into a soft, intense kiss. Her warm lips pressed against his with barely contained lust. With him, the show was easy. The monitoring equipment in the 'lift, along the corridors, on the promenade, would see nothing out of the ordinary... just a regular day for one of the station's many 'working' women. For her, making contact with a operative was usually hard work, she usually had to imagine someone else at this crucial point to ensure a convincing act. But with the Admiral... She sighed into his mouth as he returned the kiss, his arms pulling her closer.
During this passionate embrace, he cupped her soft, fragrant cheek in his large and rough fingers. if there had been any form of wanting during his time in the fleet, this moment would top it by some margin. He opened his eyes to look at hers, parted his lips and drew deep breaths. Then the lift ejected them onto the proper floor, drawing a few looks and frowns from the waiting mixed party in the hallway. A Bolian lady merely shook her head and sighed, before again picking up the casual banter she had been engaged in.
Harlan felt both in and out of control, and he liked it.
Rounding the last corner near her quarters, Andrew guided her into a tango stance and danced the last few meters to her door, where he leaned her against it. His left hand caressed the small of her back, while he slid his right - her fingers still clasped around it - onto the access panel.
He had important business here tonight, but that could wait an hour, or two...
Reluctantly letting go of his hand, she deftly entered her access code, the doors swishing open behind her. She hooked a presumptive finger into his waistband, and pulled him in with her.

The doors closed. "Computer..." she gasped, his lips kissing the soft skin of her neck, "Lights, 50%".

---

0200hrs

Stepping out of the lady's classic water shower while drying his hair and beard with a soft and warm towel, Andrew found her pouring the last sips of champagne from the bottle into her flute glass. Her half clad back turned towards, he could have seen as an indicator of her trust, but he knew better than to judge solely on subconcious body language. Still, Harlan felt uncannily at ease, here, with her, in this room and on this evening. Something about her very nature seemed to calm him right down, adding a gentle warmth to her already nigh irresistible appearance, no matter how cross she acted. He bound the cloth around his waist and walked over, around the coffee table, and sat down in the sofa next to her. After a brief smile and a deep breath, he spoke calmly to her. "There's something I need you to do for me." noticing her inquisitive gaze "If it goes wrong, it could... will... get you into a lot of trouble with upstairs."
"You have no idea the number of questions I had to answer after you interrupted that last drop, do you?" she chided, sipping at her half full glass. She rested the flute on the small table and stretched her naked legs across Harlan's lap. Huffing petulantly, she watched him for a long, silent moment, taking in his strong chest, shapely body and tousled wet hair. "But..." she flashed him a smile that lit up her face. "Who am I to deny an Admiral anything he desires?"

There was that word again.
Chief Harlan returned her smile and gently rested his hand on one of her shapely knees. If, somehow, he'd want - or need - to help her escape this backwater hole, he'd eventually have to tell her the truth. Him not actually bearing that high rank was sure to surprise her. He'd no longer be who he said he was, or who she thought him to be...
"I need a fully charged mark six core cell. You know, the blue expensive ones, that" making quotation marks with the fingers of his free hand "don't really exist." He didn't see frowning or signs of doubt on her radiant face, and thus continued. "I know this base has four to eight of them on board. They'll either be kept at the armory, with security, or with medical if they've pulled them out of beta by now." He paused and swallowed. "I would retrieve them myself, but with this mission I can't risk compromising my cover." That made her sound far more expendable than she actually was becoming to him. For a second, he thought, felt, his current demeanour was telling her just that.

"Why?..." she breathed slowly, suddenly wishing she'd replicated more booze. This was a big ask. A bigger ask than clouding over his visits in her official reports. She felt her body tense up. A bigger ask, even, than her willingness to lie to her superiors about the suspicious gaps in her records. He was worth all that. He had pull, he could get her out of this hell hole and into a cushy post somewhere more pleasant if she played this right, but this... "I deal in data and messages, not theft." She hid her tension in a nonchalant sweep of her long, curling black hair off her bare shoulder before pulling her legs off him, turning and settling herself on his lap in one smooth motion. She'd have to find a graceful way out of this, she realised with dismay; she'd have to handle him. She slid her fingers over his shoulders and let the wisp of fabric that had been covering her fall away. "Why ruin a fun evening with business?"

"Oh, why indeed..." He slid his broad hands across her thighs to her back, up and down again. His towel sat loosely between them. Andrew ran a finger along her curves, taking his time to do that with the proper attention and softness it required. Coming back up to her lips, he let his hand glide into her loosely flowing hair and took a full, long kiss on the lips, before catching his breath and speaking again in a whisper.
"I'll need it before the Bremen takes to space again. If not, you'll never see me again," he kissed her neck and cheek, feeling her tell-tale quiver as his words struck their mark, "...'cause I'll be either dead or a running fugitive...".

---

0630hrs

The loose, silken sheets of her bed lay in a tangle, illuminated by a few soft lights scattered about the bed chamber. She groaned into her array of pillows as tendrils of consciousness curled inexorably into her dreams, shattering them one by one. Her dark eyes fluttered open, her arm stretching out to feel the cold empty bed to her side. He was gone again.
She turned, gathered up the sheets around her and shook off the last of the night's fugue.
You'll never see me again.
" Burro ..." she cursed him, knowing he understood right well the strange power he'd developed over her in a remarkably short space of time. She sat up in bed, stretching out aching muscles and tired joints, the night's exquisite revels felt in every fibre of her body.

You'll never see me again...
"Pessoa tola..." she added, as she realised she'd been out-played masterfully every step of the way. She'd do whatever he needed her to. It was that simple.

She padded her way barefoot to her living room, immediately spotting a small purse on the faux-marble counter top. She sighed and tipped it out, her eyes widening in surprise. She ran her fingers through the small fortune before her. There was more than ten times the amount she'd need to secure one of the power cells he'd requested! What was he playing at?

In fact, there were enough gold and gemstones on her counter for her to buy something small, slow and inconspicuous off a fleetyard trader and take a long cruise out of federation space, find some quiet rural planet and live there, in some decent degree of luxury, for a couple of lifetimes... She spotted something among the dazzling gems then; a folded piece of parchment.

She opened it up, and discovered a hand-written set of faraway co-ordinates...

---

0745hrs, the next day

Chief Warrant Officer, third grade, Andrew Harlan stood in the moving turbolift, calmly buzzing upwards towards the bridge and Sumner's ready room, his hands clasped behind his back.
He'd taken an enormous risk by putting all his eggs in one basket, without having a contingency plan of any kind. It had been many years since the last time he lay part of his fate in someone else's hands. Skilled, soft hands this time, but it felt uncommon for him to do so. He wasn't fully in control anymore, but he didn't need worrying. She'll deliver, he knew it.

Ajya, lady of the night, would deliver.

Tactical Officer
USS Bremen
-

Commander

Postby Einar S » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:49 pm

a great log you guys! I am so intrigued to know what happens next!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant JG

TAC CWO-3 Andrew Harlan & aCTO LtCmrd Anya Jameson 11511.05

Postby Gunther Vermeulen » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:02 pm

"Can't let you go in there, commander. Not before I clean up the mess..."
Harlan stood in front of the code-locked door to his quarters, a stern look on his face, that looked much more like that of a sixty-five year old man now than it did only half an hour ago on the bridge. His eyes conveyed a whole different level of seriousness to what she'd seen in them before.

She took a quick glance at the door, before letting her gaze drift over to focus on her Tactical Officer,
"Very well," she murmured, looking at him carefully, opening her mind more than usual towards him, "all I need is an explanation. Justification as to why you left the bridge without permission during shift, and why you have something unauthorised linked up to ship systems."
She could feel, not just through his mind, but in his body language, his stance, that there was steel determination running through him at this moment in time.

Andrew felt himself pulling up a fence around him, closing off. The idea of having gotten this close to failure was pushing him back into his defensive, distrusting mode.
"I was not aware of the need to explain personal projects to you, commander. All I want to say on the matter is that a battery failed and I had to remedy that. The exact nature of my private work is, frankly, my own business.
Besides, I was nearly on my way back upstairs to the bridge..."

Looking down the corridor towards the turbolift, he couldn't refrain himself from snapping at her.
"That's where you should have stayed, Jameson. Instead of leaving your post, too."

She bristled at his reply. "That's Lt Commander to you, at the moment. I made my absence from my post official, with someone covering me, with it documented why I was leaving. Unlike yourself. You are my officer, under the command of my department. I would like an explanation, otherwise this is going to be raised into an official disciplinary, Harlan."

She tilted her head slightly, as she was wont to do. "I don't need personal details. Just a reason. More than 'Just because'. Unless this project of yours is known by the XO, or Captain, or higher authority than mine, to which then I can defer to them."

His resistance to her mental nudges could be felt by Anya, and she had an unexpected wave of hurt and disappointment. She had thought that they had bonded more than this, that he trusted her more than the stonewalling she was receiving.

He sighed, placed his hands on his hips and looked down at the corridor floor.

Chief Andrew Harlan let the moment linger for a good couple of minutes, then scratched his scalp and turned his face back to his superior. His expression suddenly tired, weathered, old.
"Can't tell you more than I already have, Anya. You wouldn't understand, even though you'd try the same thing, too... You'd make me stop and force me to give up a good year's worth of exhaustive labour."
Again, Harlan looked down.

"I really have to leave it at that, I'm sorry. I truly am..."

She made to move forward, her hand outstretched to raise his face to look at her before she hesitated, knowing it wasn't the professional way to handle the situation. She continued moving however, and gently raised his chin. "How about a friend? Could you tell a friend about what is going on?"

His eyes looked both fearful and determined at the same time, and he drew in slow and deep breaths, mentally summarizing all he had done up to this point. He wouldn't tell her any of it, ofcourse. Not yet anyway.
In a whisper, he told her "I can't even tell myself in the mirror, Anya. But I started this, so I will finish it. It has to be done, I'm way beyond choice now."
Andrew touched her hand ever so slightly, took a step back and shook his head, barely noticable.
"Don't draw yourself into this, it's my burden. My own."

She sighed quietly. "You don't have to do this on your own, whatever this is." She moved away from him. "I will still need to report you leaving your post. But I'll downplay it." Trying to smile at Harlan, Anya turned towards the turbo lift. "You have 10 more minutes, if you need to finish anything, but I'll expect you on the bridge then."

With a slow thank you nod, he turned away and formed his quarters' entry code on the access panel, and went in. After stepping over the hastily laid power cables, wanting to fetch a new set of clothing, he nudged the thrown-aside battery with his boot. Its burned circuits were still giving of little plumes of smoke. Andrew Harlan shook his head and unbuttoned his tunic.

His balance was off, he felt, both phisically as mentally. If it hadn't been Jameson who came knocking, he'd likely have pushed any nosey type into the opposing wall and shut the door on them. Good thing it was her, very good.

On his way out, he glanced once more at the heavily insulated container, which was now one layer of sensor shielding down...

Tactical Officer
USS Bremen
-

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:18 pm

Curiouser and curiouser...
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:48 pm

Nicely done, guys!

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Bremen