"The Second", Mission Arc #8

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander

"The Second", Mission Arc #8

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:46 pm

Prologue.

Lt Nex's career hadn't gone exactly to plan, she noted as she hefted another crumbling box packed with physical data entries onto her anti-grav cart and wheeled her latest load through the anti-static field and into her small pokey lab. She sneezed, a regular experience amid the accumulated centuries of dust and grime in the vaults, but one she had started almost to enjoy.
She carefully lifted the lid on the top box, her white-gloved fingers fumbling with the half-rotten fastener at the side. She was a professional, though, and the lid, as disintegrated as it was, came off intact.
"Assistant archivist, Lt. Dori d'Aru Nex recording the opening of box number 490-23-GAE... at-choo! Beg pardon... OK... Computer, begin scan sequence."
She removed the topmost notebook and rested it gently on her lectern, positioning a small scanner on a mechanical arm directly over it.
"Page one, scan," she ordered and she opened the book and let the scanner record the printed and hand-written notes within. She yawned. This posting was originally supposed to be 6 months, but she was now into her second year. At this stage, she had almost quit reading the text she was so painstakingly scanning, her body repeating the same sequence of actions over and over; retrieve box, open box, scan contents, return box to correct position on one of a thousand shelves in the vaults of Starfleet Academy. Lather, rinse, repeat...
"Page two, scan."

Some hours later, she was almost finished with this box.
"Page 72, scan..." As she turned the last leaf, something caught her eye. "Computer, pause!"
She leaned in and read, her eyes widening as they raked over the contents of the page. Amazed, she turned back to the first page, her gloved hands turning to each new page with renewed vigour. She couldn't believe her eyes! This was huge!

---

Chief Archivist, Ned Eisenberg was in the middle of dinner with his family when Nex burst in.
"Ned!" she greeted, her blue antennae curling in excitement. "You won't believe this, but..." she caught sight of the other Eisenbergs arranged around the table in order of age. She smiled sheepishly. "Hi, everyone." Then she spotted the cake in the middle of the table, covered in candles. "Er... oh dear. This is a human ritual, isn't it?"
Eisenberg rose and placed his napkin on the table. "My son's birthday, Dori." He guided her from the room. "What is it?"
Dori allowed herself to be lead, and once away from the rest of his family, smiled and handed him a PADD. "Jackpot."

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: "The Second", Mission Arc #8

Postby James Greenman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:38 pm

Mission Briefing, Stardate 11410.23

Once we arrive at Earth, dock us up at the Utopia Planetia shipyards and set systems to station-keeping. We're due for that overhaul, still, and we may as well have station personnel finish the repairs we didn't get around to. The senior staff will take transport to Starfleet Command on Earth for the hearing, junior officers are to remain onboard to assist with the Bremen's refit if you're not required to join the senior staff on Earth. Once the hearing is complete we will make all haste out of the system and back to our assigned patrol routes.
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Commander

"The Second", Mission Arc #8 - Prologue, Part 2

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:24 pm

One Year Later.

It was difficult to imagine how a sliding, automatic door could give the impression of slamming firmly shut, but this is what it managed to do nonetheless. It was probably partially because the person activating it had thumped the controller on her desk, and partially because she'd yelled "Get Out!" while doing it.
Nex and Eisenberg were left outside on the pavement, each clutching an armful of PADDs and a portable presentation device, in the rain.
The Andorian cursed under her breath, glaring at the sky. "Can they not time that shit better?"
Eisenberg glanced sideways at her, deflated after their meeting. "The rain is the least of our concerns. That was the last avenue we had."

Nex grunted, bent her neck against the spattering rain, shoved her PADDs into a large pocket and trudged back towards the underground transport system. Eisenberg followed silently. What else was there to do? Their application for aid had been met with derision or disgust everywhere they went. What had started out a year ago with such high hopes had descended into a maelstrom of ridicule and rejection. The best meeting they had had was two months previously, with the archaeological wing of Starfleet Science. They had only been kept waiting an hour past their appointment time and the man they had met with had at least listened politely, if a bit listlessly, to their hypothesis. There had even been cake on the table, though they hadn't been offered any.

"We can raise the funds ourselves. The Ferengi might be interested..." Nex ventured as they stood on the Transfrancisco platform.
Eisenberg ruminated, then shook his head. "There's no profit to be found in picking through the bones of a dead anthropological group, even if the data we could collect is priceless to us."
"You don't have a rich uncle you have failed to mention?"
"You have any pals in the Andorian military?"
They threw disappointed looks at each other.
"Didn't think so."
"Let's just... go to this memorial, take a day or two to regroup, and try again." Eisenberg wiped the rain from his face.
"OK, OK..." Nex huffed, stepping onto her transport and nodding her goodbyes to her boss. "See you in a few hours."

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Mission Briefing, Stardate 11411.13

Crew, as you are well aware we've been put on indefinite leave by Starfleet Command for reasons I'm sure none of us have the right amount of pips to understand. Personal feelings aside, we've been given an opportunity for a little....field work, by Lieutenant sh'Hruvek. She can explain it in more details, but we've been...shall we say, contracted?...contracted by a team of independent scientists to look into their findings of an unknown and unrecorded human colonisation attempt that has just recently been uncovered. Starfleet isn't interested, but we don't have anything better to do, so I've procured us a ship. She's not much to look at, but I'll be damned if it won't serve us perfectly.

CSO: Raqiin, I want you to take point on this and start sifting through the data we have. You might want to take some time to familiarise yourself with the Klingon computer systems onboard.

CEO: Tony, I'm glad you're with us. You'll find a cargo bay full of supplies and spare parts, and a list as long as my arm for repairs. Prioritise the engines, the shields, the cloak and the sensors and then fix up anything else you can find.

MED/CMO: Doctor, I don't know if this is going to stick part this mission, but I'm making you Chief Physician. Check out the medical facilities on this barge and see what I managed to procure in supplies - I'm hoping we don't need your services, but in the event of an accident or a sprained wrist I'd like there to be some treatment onboard.

OPS: Hook us up with the Federation LCARS database and upgrade what you can before we disembark. Work with the CSO on getting the computer systems operational and up to spec, and some kind of translation matrix would be good too. Reading Klingon is hard.

NAV: Upload the Federation planetary database to the main computer and begin plotting a course, talk to Spacedock and get us an exit lane and then we'll begin disembarkation.

AUX/AUX2: Commander, I appreciate having you with us on this journey, your knowledge will be invaluable. We have a new face as well, drop by the bridge when you can and I'm sure we can find some work for idle hands.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Mission Briefing, Stardate 11411.20

When our last few volunteers get onboard we'll be making our final checks and getting underway. I'll let Lieutenant Raqiin explain what our final objectives are, as she will be the lead on the scientific aspects of this mission. First priorities are to get us underway and make sure the ship doesn't fall apart beneath our feet.

CEO: Tony, begin final checks and prep the core for full power - We'll be launching soon.

CSO/AUX: Meet me on the bridge and begin sifting through the science team's data, the computer systems should be fairly trouble-free to use now. Let's have an action plan in place before we arrive, I'd like this to go as smoothly as possible.

CMO: Doctor, please let me know how the Sickbay looks and have a report on our current stocks. Let me know if there's anything we're missing, we might have to put in a stop before we leave the system.

TAC: Chief, it's a pleasure to have you onboard. Inventory our torpedo stocks, make sure the shield generators are charged, disruptors are powered and see what kind of status the cloak is in.

OPS: Good work on the computer systems, Ensign. File our departure plan with Earth control and notify the relevant authorities of our destination.

NAV: Begin plotting us an exit course out of Sol, then engage at warp 5 once we've exited the system.

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:44 pm

"...I'd like this to go as smoothly as possible"

AAAH ha! Hahahahaha Ha!

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:10 pm

Mission Briefing, Stardate 11411.27

We're approaching the Tau Ceti system, and thanks to the efforts of Chief Harlan and Commander Adalberto we're doing it in an almost fully functional ship. Pats on the back all around, you've done great work, all of you. Now the real work begins, however.

CSO/AUX: You know where we're going, speak with Navigation and find us a planet to orbit then begin putting together a team to go down to the surface. You know more of this than anyone so a brief explanation for the crew wouldn't go amiss so we know what we're getting into and what we should expect. Get in contact with the original science team and let them know we've arrived.

NAV: Work with the CSO to find us a planet to begin our search.

OPS: Check with any traffic control in the area, and keep your ears pointed at Tau Ceti III. It's not exactly a hive of scum and villainy, but there are often undesirables in the system and I would like a heads up if anything bad is coming out way. Run as silent as you can.

CEO: Tony, nice work. Let me know if and when the cloak is up and running then begin working on the sensors, I want the best geophysical resolution possible for subsurface scans.

TAC: Tactical analysis of the system please, Chief. I'm not expecting any trouble, this is just a routine science mission, but I want to be prepared for the worst. Also, I know the crew is short on volunteers, but make sure at least one tactical officer accompanies any away team sent to the surface.

CMO/AUX2: Doctor, I want at least one medical person on any away team's down to the surface. It'll be a boring job, I hope, but maybe there will be a scraped knee to heal.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:35 pm

Mission Briefing, Stardate 11412.04

CSO/AUX: Prep your Away Team for a trip to the surface, we'll get you some geophysical scans of the region using the main navigational sensors on the Bird of Prey.

NAV: Take us into a low geosynchronous orbit around the target site and hold position.

OPS: Check with any traffic control in the area, and keep your ears pointed at Tau Ceti III. It's not exactly a hive of scum and villainy, but there are often undesirables in the system and I would like a heads up if anything bad is coming out way. Run as silent as you can.

CEO: Work on the sensors, I want the best geophysical resolution possible for subsurface scans.

TAC: Tactical analysis of the system please, Chief. I'm not expecting any trouble, this is just a routine science mission, but I want to be prepared for the worst. Also, I know the crew is short on volunteers, but make sure at least one tactical officer accompanies any away team sent to the surface.

CMO/AUX2: Doctor, I want at least one medical person on any away team's down to the surface. It'll be a boring job, I hope, but maybe there will be a scraped knee to heal.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:45 pm

Mission Briefing, Stardate 11412.11

We've been in worse situations that this, everyone keep focussed and aware of what's going on and we won't have any problems. This is an inhabited star system and that little firefight in orbit likely didn't go unnoticed, if nothing else someone will be along to look for salvage.

All: Everyone is to have a hand phaser issued and kept on their person at all times. No exceptions.

CEO: Tony, get permission from the Doctor first and then work on getting the CO2 scrubbers working again if nothing else. Then I want you to work on stabilising the shields and creating our own little protective dome around the ship, we can fill it with breathable air and with the CO2 scrubbers removing the waste and producing oxygen we should be set for a good few weeks.

CMO: Doctor, begin giving out Tri-ox injections and make sure we have an ample supply. Breathing is going to start becoming laboured the more we work in these conditions, we'll need all of the help we can get. Keep a close eye on the crew and let me know if you see any issues brewing that I should be made aware of.

OPS/CSO: Work on getting communications back up and send out a general distress call, someone should pick it up within a few hours, we're not exactly out of the way here.

AUX: I want you to go through the sensor logs and see if you can match that weapon to any known species. It looks decided Federation to me, and that can't be right - If this is the colony we've been looking for, they wouldn't have been in Federation contact for a lot longer than the advent of Phaser technology.

TAC: Chief, I want you to assist Commander Adalberto where possible. See about getting us some breathable atmosphere, then work on getting the sensors online and find out just where we are exactly in relation to the origin of that weapons fire.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:35 pm

Mission Briefing, Stardate 11501.08

Communications seem to be getting dampened from here and our situation is a little more worse than we originally suspected, but I'm confident that a crew as fine as this one won't find it any big challenge to get off this rock. I know we came here with scientific notions, but I want to make it clear that this is no longer the case. All of your effort and your highest priority must be directed at keeping this crew safe and finding us a way back home.

Everyone report to the current command centre in Main Engineering for your assignments.

CEO: Keep working on those shields and the life support system. I want a stable dome of breathable atmosphere as far out as you can extend it. The ship is a write-off, but right now it's the only safe place we have, so I want you to make it liveable. Pick your team and get to work.

TAC/CSO: For now your standing orders are to try and cut through whatever is dampening communications. I rigged up a short-wave boost using my comm badge's subspace transceiver array, but the Tricorder shows it only getting up about 1 click before dissipating, where as it should be able to reach out a hundred thousand times further which suggests to me outside influence. Neutralise it and get out a distress signal.

AUX: Commander, we'll need supplies from the cargo bays, but I think they might be open to atmosphere right now. Find two other crewmembers who have EVA training and suit up, then grab all of the food, water and medical supplies you can then bring them here.

Next

Return to U.S.S. Bremen