"Perception" - Prologue, Mission Arc #3

Forum for the U.S.S. Bremen, running every Thursday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander

"Perception" - Prologue, Mission Arc #3

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:55 pm

Four of the friends sat around the green-felted table top as the fifth went to the drinks cabinet and picked up the bottle of spring wine by its slender neck. "I'm not saying it's a tough decision for me, or anything, but you have to admit, it's gotta be difficult for some people. Anyone on the fence to begin with has gotta be feeling insecure at this stage." Noran freshened up everyone's glasses, then his own, and sat back down.
"Dangerous words, Noran," Kasta warned lightly.
"Now I can't even speculate? I can't question?"
"In here, sure, but on duty, I'd advise caution."
Noran stared at his friend, reached forward and took a hold of his glass, sipping it thoughtfully. "So, you are saying that despite my years of service, my impeccable record-"
"-except for that incident with the Admiral's niece-"
"-she started it... but... you're saying I can't even discuss this stupid mess with my crewmates without coming off as, what, Kasta, implicated somehow?"
"Maybe I'm being too cautious," Kasta admitted. "But I'd rather not seem overly interested right now in the Order of the New Kai, and what it all means."
"Well, I couldn't care less..." Rena said as she slumped back in her seat, bothered by the topic of conversation more than her words would have anyone believe. "My family all died in the last war, or the one before that... I have no interest in being a part of this one."
"No-one is pointing fingers, Ree," Tegan sighed dramatically, rolling her eyes a little at the other woman. "We all know where we stand. We took the oath to Starfleet with the rest of our class, and Prophets know, we meant ever word. I for one-"
"Besides..." Noran interrupted before Tegan could get into stride with her usual pro-Federation rhetoric, "...who said anything about a war?"
Silence descended like a shroud.
The five young Bajorans looked at each other, their eyes saying more than their lips ever could. Fact was, they were all alive today because they knew trouble brewing when they smelt it. They knew how to go to ground, they understood when to duck, when to run and when to turn and fire.

Word had reached every ship that The Order of the New Kai was gaining more and more support every day. Dissatisfied rumblings were sounding far and wide about the nature of Bajor's acceptance into the Federation. The belief that the Prophets' own planet had simply exchanged one dictator for another was spreading. Of course, it was just a loud minority who felt that way. The crazies always banged the noisiest drums. No-one sane thought twice about the conspiracies.

"Nonsense..." Rena huffed, breaking the silence but failing to dispel the mood , "it's all a load of bollocks, anyway." She looked around at her friends. "I'm sorry, but it is. These people are the dregs of Bajor. Self-important delusionals who think we'd be better off on our own, well... in case anyone has failed to notice, that hasn't worked out so well in the past. Even if... even... if... someone's not the biggest fan of how the Federation does things, and I admit, the regulations chafe a bit at times, yes... it's still a whole lot better than the way the Dominion ran the shop. Or the Cardassians, lest we forget..."
"How could we ever..." Lott groaned. "None of us even remember much about the occupation, but you'd swear we lived and fought through the whole damn thing. Look this topic is giving me a headache. These are my quarters... can't we just- "
Just then, the door to the small quarters slid open and revealed a silhouette. "Hey, guys... gosh, full house in here," Bill Ashington observed as he stepped inside and dropped his duty jacket on the small sofa to the side of the room. The Bajorans around the card table all smiled.
"Good game?" Bill inquired, nodding to the long-forgotten cards dealt out on the felt surface.
Lott looked at them, then back at Bill. "More drinking, less playing tonight, I think."
Bill smiled back. "Lott, I'm gonna grab a shower and turn in early. Don't let me interrupt the, er... party."
"Thanks, Bill."
Sensing the serious tone in the room, Bill went to make some final comment, but thought better of it and disappeared into the shower room.
Kasta looked at the others. "And you're telling me they're not already getting a bit paranoid about having us out here?"
"Bill's fine." Lott sighed.
"He's not the only one, Lott."

Commander

Mission Orders SD 11405.01

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:56 pm

Mission Orders
SD 11405.01

To: CO Griffiths, USS Bremen
Cc: XO Jameson

Captain Griffiths, Starfleet Command has received your report on the entity you encountered while transporting the prisoner, Relar, for questioning. We have also taken receipt of your Science officer's account of the events leading up to your release from the dimensional rift you encountered. It made fascinating reading.

Once you have rendezvoused with the USS Hooke, and seen to the transfer of crews back and forth, you are ordered to the Episadi Cluster where your Science and Engineering teams will be required to observe and record an event of great scientific interest. The cluster, as you may know, contains a ternary star system that has evaded our close study for too long.

Starfleet Science speculates that this system of stars may be on the verge of a transformation. The gravitational irregularities between the two smaller stars seems to be shifting, and we want you there to observe and record all you can.

Godspeed and good luck,
Admiral Elsbeth Bantree,
Starfleet HQ

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: "Perception" - Prologue, Mission Arc #3

Postby James Greenman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:09 pm

Mission Briefing, Stardate 11405.01

We're a few moments out from the Ira system and the USS Hooke is on sensors. I expect this be a quick smash and grab, then onto the Episadi Cluster at high warp. I don't think I need to tell any of you how important it is that we catalogue everything we can about the Trinary stars in this region now that they seem to be on the verge of change.

XO: Commander Jameson, let me be the first to welcome you onboard. I'm looking forward to working with an officer of your caliber. I apologise that you won't have any downtime to adjust to your new ship, but i'm afraid it's all go.

SCI: Ensign, the Science Dpartment will be taking the lead in these analysis. I want you to start calibrating the sensors for optimal readings on those stars. Prepare a suite of multispacial probes for enhanced sensory purposes, we'll want to capture this from every available angle.

OPS: Good to have you onboard, Cadet. Hail the USS Hooke once we're in range and begin transporting crew and supplies between our two ships once we've arrived.

CTO: Welcome onboard, Lieutenant. Please get yourself acquainted with the Bremen's tactical systems - If you have any problems, Ensign Darloch can help. Once you're comfortable, I would like to see about modifying three of our Type 9 probes with Metaphasic Shielding. I'd like to get some readings from the inside of those stars.

CEO: Commander, welcome onboard. Speak with Ensign sh'Hruvek and ensure that our shields are modified to withstand any flares, novas or pulses from the Trinary stars that she feels may be likely to affect us during our investigation.

CMO: Doctor, i've heard good things about your performance on the USS Hyperion. Please get yourself acquainted with the Bremen's Sickbay then make your way to the bridge. I'm anticipating no major injuries, you can sit back and enjoy the pyrotechnics.

Diplomatic Team: Ambassador, it was a pleasure having you onboard - I thoroughly enjoyed our discourse on the Algernon treaty. Please ensure you and your team and ready to disembark, we'll be arriving at Ira IV within 5 minutes.
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Mon May 05, 2014 3:16 pm

Mission Briefing, Stardate 11405.08

Bill Ashington is dead, and while I hope that this was an accident, there's a part of me that knows otherwise. None of this sits well with me, and I want to get to the bottom of it before we arrive at the Episadi Cluster. Until further notice, all non-essential personnel are confined to quarters.

XO: Commander, I'd like you to head up the investigation. Speak to Crewman Ashington's roommate, his colleagues in Astrometrics and anyone else that you feel may know Bill or know who might have wanted him killed.

CMO: Doctor, perform an autopsy on Crewman Ashington and make sure there's nothing we're missing, then work with Security to go over his quarters with a fine toothed comb.

CTO: I want someone with Commander Jameson at all times, to keep her safe and to help with questioning. Also have a team working with the Doctor in Ashington's quarters to go over the scene. Go over the security logs for that section of the deck for the last 24 hours as well, I want to know who has been in or out of there.

CEO: Commander, check the computer logs. I want to know why the computer didn't alert us to the change in atmosphere in Ashington's quarters, it makes me feel like someone tampered with the failsafes and that means that could have left a trail - And if they didn't, I want to know who on this crew could have got in and out of the computers that cleanly.

SCI: Ensign, work with the Doctor and Security in Ashington's quarters, I want the entire placed mapped down to the quantum level if you have to, no stone is to be unturned.

OPS: Cadet, ensure that all non-essential personnel are confined to quarters, for their own safety and for everyone elses. Then I want you to go through all of Crewman Ashington's communication records, I want to know who he has spoken to in the last 48 hours.

NAV: Keep us on course for the Episadi Cluster, Cadet.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Thu May 15, 2014 2:40 pm

Mission Briefing, Stardate 11405.15

The evidence is starting to mount up, but it all seems a little bit too obvious. I want you all to keep an open mind and try to look for the evidence that isn't there, the things which you feel you should find but aren't.

XO: Continue heading up the investigation, Commander.

CEO: Chief, whatever that cylinder is I want if off the bridge and in a containment field immediately. Find out what it is, where it came from and who was the last to touch it.

CTO: In future, do not under any circumstances transport dangerous and possibly explosive or harmful evidence - by hand - to the bridge. If you think your department is going to have trouble with this in the future, then I will speak to you in my ready room. Otherwise, continue with your investigation, and let me know what you learn from Noran Dest.

SCI: Assist Commander Adalberto with his investigation into the cylinder, and let me know what you've found on the polymer substance and how it could have been created - and more important, who could have created it.

OPS: Contact Starfleet, update them on the current situation and confirm that we are investigating this internally to ensure there is no contamination of the environment.

CMO: Doctor, let me know once you've completed your autopsy of Crewman Ashington, and report even the smallest thing which catches your attention. We're running out of leads.

NAV: Keep us on course, Cadet.

Lieutenant

Postby Sophie Wakeling » Thu May 22, 2014 7:27 pm

Mission Briefing, Stardate 11405.22

As the Captain mentioned in his previous briefing, the evidence appears to be pointing in a specific direction, however it appears a little too convenient. Continue investigating, but do not be blinded to any other options that may be available, rather than concentrating on the obvious.

CEO: Continue work on cylinder, in case there is anything that may have been missed. I’d also like you to review again the data on who accessed the controls to Ashington’s quarters.

CTO: Continue your interviews with the current people of interest. I will be joining you for your next interview, with information gained from the Doctor.

SCI: Continue working with Commander Adalberto. I want to know exactly how this murder was committed, so that we can both apprehend the culprit through their ‘fingerprint’ and stop any future attempts on other crewmembers.

OPS: Please inform me if Starfleet respond to our status update.

CMO: Please continue with your duties. Hopefully your direct services will not be further required regarding this murder.

NAV: Keep us flying, Cadet.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Wed May 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Mission Briefing, Stardate 11405.29

We're narrowing things down further and getting some of these questions answered. The crew are walking on eggshells right now and frustrations are high - the sooner we have this thing figured out the sooner we can return to our normal duties. All senior staff are to report to the briefing room immediately with your findings.

All Senior Staff: Finish up your current task and report to the briefing room immediately.

NAV: Turn us around, Cadet. Take us back to Ira at maximum warp then join us in the briefing room.

OPS: Contact the U.S.S. Hooke, tell them to hold position and await our arrival then join us in the briefing room.

Return to U.S.S. Bremen