ST:E Website Upgrades

Forum for the U.S.S. Hooke, running every Thursday at 2000 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

ST:E Website Upgrades

Postby James Greenman » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:56 pm

Heya folks!

We're very quickly coming up on the new year and I figure it's the perfect time to upgrade the website back-end to the new PHP7 specs and rewrite some of the stuff that's been annoying me in the back of my mind. Now is the chance for you to make your voice heard!

Are there any parts of the Engage Portal site that you don't like? Is there some kind of functionality that you find lacking, or non-existent? What would make your experience with the site and the Game as a whole more enjoyable or fulfilling or just useful? What are the parts that you do like about the site/content/functionality?

Please be as open, harsh or critical as you like, so that we can make improvements. We all know how great ST:E is, but it's time for that to reflect a little more in the website and the tools available to players, new and old alike. Everyone is welcome to comment!
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Lieutenant

Re: ST:E Website Upgrades

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:09 pm

I have noticed that while I was toying around with the character roster search functions out of boredom, that they're pretty out of date. Thought it might be a good idea to mention that, in case new folks want to search for their potential fellow newbies
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:17 pm

Vanessa Brinkman wrote:I have noticed that while I was toying around with the character roster search functions out of boredom, that they're pretty out of date. Thought it might be a good idea to mention that, in case new folks want to search for their potential fellow newbies

What do you mean by 'Out of date'? It pulls the search results from the current character database :?:

Lieutenant

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:48 pm

James Greenman wrote:
Vanessa Brinkman wrote:I have noticed that while I was toying around with the character roster search functions out of boredom, that they're pretty out of date. Thought it might be a good idea to mention that, in case new folks want to search for their potential fellow newbies

What do you mean by 'Out of date'? It pulls the search results from the current character database :?:

Like, if you want to search for specific ships, it's even got the USS Hooke as an option... I dunno when that ship was decommisioned, but it was before I got here.
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:50 pm

It would be nice if this wasn't happening:

"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:57 pm

It'd be cool to take that medals display idea out of ice in the future, maybe?
I think it'd be nice to see them all displayed, you know?

And maybe have a spot on the main ship page where the ships's command history, or timeline of command players could be added. It seems, as of now, there's no permanent record of a Captain's or XO's tenure when they step down, and I kinda think that's lost hostory we should be preserving.
In ten years we won't remember who COed what ship at the beginning, and whatnot.

Oh! And... ::gets out the notebook:: ...a way to edit a player's profile info woudl be a great bit of functionality. I had a player last week ask me how to change his timezone, and I noticed there wass not way to do that without bothering you to do it at your end.

I think that's all I have for now. :)

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:48 pm

Vanessa Brinkman wrote:Like, if you want to search for specific ships, it's even got the USS Hooke as an option... I dunno when that ship was decommisioned, but it was before I got here.

Aha! Okay, I know this issue, I have jotted it down. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

Aoibhe Ni wrote:It'd be cool to take that medals display idea out of ice in the future, maybe?
I think it'd be nice to see them all displayed, you know?

And maybe have a spot on the main ship page where the ships's command history, or timeline of command players could be added. It seems, as of now, there's no permanent record of a Captain's or XO's tenure when they step down, and I kinda think that's lost hostory we should be preserving.
In ten years we won't remember who COed what ship at the beginning, and whatnot.

Oh! And... ::gets out the notebook:: ...a way to edit a player's profile info woudl be a great bit of functionality. I had a player last week ask me how to change his timezone, and I noticed there wass not way to do that without bothering you to do it at your end.

I think that's all I have for now. :)

Aoibhe, awesome ideas all around and definitely something that'd be good! More functionality with the player profile isn't something I'd thought of so that'll definitely be going on the list, as will the past COs for ships - that's a great idea.

C. J. Short wrote:It would be nice if this wasn't happening:

I have a fix for this, just need a few hours to implement it. :V

Thanks everyone! Please, keep your ideas coming.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:26 am

Anyone else?

Come on, tell me what things you want to see. Ship specifications? Maybe a page detailing how to do various jobs on a Starfleet vessel? (Undocking procedures, medical compounds, aligning a deflector array?)

What about character or NPC profiles? Do you want some exoansion? New fields? A picture album or a gallery? What about the vessel rosters or pages? The transcript archives?

I want to make this game the best it can be, so I want your input to help me make it that way. :)

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:14 pm

I think it'd be cool to update the handbook, and yeat, down the line add a series of guides on each department written by the people who run them now, if possible.

That way, a new player, suddenly in charge of engineering, or Sickbay or whatever would have a reference for jargon to start them off.

I have Nasha a copy of the medical cheat sheet I wrote up for myself waaaaaay back, and I think she's found it useful as she for settled in Bremen's Sickbay.

Lieutenant

Postby Babette C » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:02 pm

I'd be willing to contribute towards the medical end of things. I've got quite a few things written up that I refer to in-game, plus links to various medical subjects on Memory alpha...
CMO - Lt. Isabelle Rousseau - USS Hyperion NCC-77989
AMB - Lt. JG Rebecca Terell - USS Sentinel NCC-79088

Next

Return to U.S.S. Hooke