Mission Arc 1 - Tunnel Vision

Forum for the U.S.S. Hooke, running every Thursday at 2000 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Lieutenant

Mission Arc 1 - Tunnel Vision

Postby Andrew James » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:43 am

Feel free to post your arc 1 logs in this thread and chat about the story, your theories, etc. You'll also find Mission Orders and Mission Briefings here.

Lieutenant

Re: Mission Arc 1 - Tunnel Vision

Postby Andrew James » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:44 am

Prologue - Tunnel Vision

I never realised before how dark it is down here.

“Sure, the tunnel goes deeper, but I can’t go deeper. The suits won’t take the increase in heat, and I’ll run out of oxygen before I can get back up.”

“Fine, turn back Jason. Out.” Chief Engineer van der Waals punched his desk with frustration. This was the slowest week for mining since the Enterprise had assisted with the Horta problem. At least, he told himself, no one had died this time. Every year, the mining community still held a minute’s silence for those that had been lost.

He turned to his secretary. “We need to get back to mining, and quickly. We’re already behind on shipments, and I’m worried some of the workers are growing restless.”

The secretary, a Bolian, looked back at him. “Garteh already left,” he said. “Couldn’t hang about any more. I think he was thinking of leaving for a long time anyway; couldn’t cut it.”

“Well, that’s true enough. Let’s hope it doesn’t spark more resignations.” van der Waal slumped onto the couch. “It’s just so sudden, I don’t understand. And I keep trying to think of what might have happened. Geological data, weather change, equipment change, location, and so on, but I can’t see anything different at all.” He released a resigned sigh and tapped a comm device on his arm. “Jason, we have to find a way to get down there. If not in suits on foot, any ideas?”

No reply.

“Jason, come in.”

“Aaaaaaaah!”

“Jason, what is it? Jason, can you hear me? JASON!” With terror in his eyes he looked to the secretary. “Get Starfleet on the line.”

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:46 am

Mission Orders

To: Captain Suder, Commanding Officer USS Hooke

Captain,

Congratulations on your new assignment. As always in Starfleet, there isn't much time for celebration. It's time to get the Hooke out there.

Janus VI has been one of the main sources of pergium for the Federation for over a hundred years. The mining colony and the indigenous species, the Horta, have been closely working together to discover new deposits of minerals. However, during this past week the Horta have not been been seen and new tunnels have not been created. Janus VI's Chief Engineer and administrative head suspects the Horta have retreated deep below the rock where sensors have a hard time detecting them, but can only speculate as to why. Mining operations have come to a near standstill.

You are hereby ordered to proceed to Janus VI and begin an investigation into the situation with the aim of restoring mining operations.

That is all.

Admiral Cerridwyn Rice
Starfleet Command

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:55 pm

Mission Brief

To: XO Cmdr Anya Jameson, USS Hooke
CC: Dept Heads, USS Hooke

Gentlemen,
We don't have an abundance of time to get to know this new ship of ours, or our new officers and crew, so we will have to do both en route to our first assignment. The short time we have before reaching our destination should be used checking all our systems as thoroughly as possible, and making new crew feel welcome. I consider both these jobs of equal importance for the smooth running of the ship.

Our assignment takes us to Janus VI where we are to investigate the apparent disappearance of the Horta, the indigenous sentient life-forms. Some of you may be aware that the Horta are a subterranean species who have, for the past 100 or so years, worked well in conjunction with Federation mining crews. But the miners have reported that the Horta have all disappeared.

This causes concerns both for the welfare of the Horta, and also for Federation mining interests. As far as I am concerned, the former is the higher priority.

So,

XO: Commander, welcome aboard. The Horta, while not telepathic themselves, seem to be receptive to telepathic contact. This means either you or I must be available at all times should communication with them be possible.
In the meantime, I want you to familiarise yourself with the senior staff. Some of them will be accompanying you to the surface of Janus should an Away Team become necessary.

CMO: Doctor, please research Horta physiology and be prepared to render assistance if it becomes necessary. The Horta have an incredibly long life-cycle, and it is nowhere near time for the current cycle to end. Something must be happening to them.
Additionally, we have new bridge officers on board. Please schedule and see to their physicals. Don't take no for an answer, but if they object strenuously, send them to me. Being Captain and a doctor has to be handy for something...

CEO: Commander, this is a new vessel. I have no doubt in my mind it will come with as many quirks as the Kraken did. You will have your hands full seeing to a million little faults, but I would appreciate you paying close attention to the Captain's Chair. Call it paranoia, but experience advises caution, and I will feel far better once I know it will not break under me.

CTO: Henry, glad to have you back aboard, Lt. I don't expect this mission to turn into a firefight, but please advise your new TAC to run diagnostics on all tactical systems nonetheless.
She comes highly recommended, Henry, we're lucky to have her... I expect you two to get along.

TAC: Ensign D'Mera, let me welcome you to the Hooke. No doubt you will find serving on a starship to be a very different experience from living at the Academy, or running though mission simulations. Look to CTO Sumner for your immediate orders. He is experienced and will advise you well. I expect you to listen to him.

Good luck,
Captain Kesh Suder, CO USS Hooke.

Commander

Mission Brief 11202.27

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:00 am

Mission Brief

To: XO Cmdr Anya Jameson, Away Team, Janus VI
CC: Dept Heads, USS Hooke

Gentlemen,
We are against the clock, now. The disappearance of the Horta is still a mystery, and now, we have also a missing engineer to locate.

XO: Commander, your Away Team have their orders. Discover what you can of the lead-up to the Horta's mass disappearance, and any further data on the missing engineer. Take whatever steps you deem necessary to get answers, but be sure to remain in contact with the ship at all times. I won't risk losing you all, too.

CMO: Prepare for casualties, both Horta and Betazoid. I can't predict what you may face down there, but I know you are up to the challenge. A part of me wishes I could be there when you find them. Remember every detail, Dremel, I'll want to know exactly what happened.

CEO: Our sensors aren't penetrating the surface of Janus VI far enough to get any idea of what's going on down there. I'd feel a lot better if I knew what our people were stepping into. See what you can do about strengthening our sensors and then report to me.
Leave my chair until later.

CTO: Sumner, I have decided to send D'Mera along with you on this mission. I expect you to do all you can to protect the Away Team while simultaneously showing her the ropes. I need her fighting fit sooner rather than later.

TAC: Ensign, pay close attention to Sumner, and the Away Team as a whole. View this as a learning experience. However, you are on this mission for a reason. As a tactical officer, I expect you to protect the team to the best of your ability.

Good luck,
Captain Kesh Suder, CO USS Hooke.

Return to U.S.S. Hooke