Eva Arrani - FNN journalist

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander

Eva Arrani - FNN journalist

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:52 pm

This is set before Rome came to on Earth.
Just a little snap-shot of what Lee referred to as "a story for another day". :)

---

"Look... buster..." she warned, waggling a finger at the security guard. "I have waited for months for an update and I am going to get one! Do you even know who I am?"
"Yes, ma'am" the guard replied, staring blankly over the short woman's manicured auburn hair and barring her way effortlessly.
"My... " boyfriend? partner? sex captain? "...the subject of one of my best articles is in that ward you're so eager to keep me out of, and I am here to do a follow up interview with either him, or his doctor... I'm not fussy, but I will not be leaving until I speak to someone. Now, let me in!"
"I'm sorry ma'am, I can't do that."
"Captain Rome was the subject of a very important article, it was very widely read, my readers require an update on his condition." she emphasised.
"I didn't read it."
"Can you even read?"
He ignored her, but it was clear that was uncalled for.
"Forget I said that..." she sighed and thought a moment. "Would you prefer if I did an exposé on the treatment and care of decorated officers, hm? No information being passed on to family or friends about the state of their loved ones... What are you hiding, exactly?" she threatened the broad-shouldered guard with her stylus.
He didn't so much as blink. "Nothing, ma'am."
She huffed and glared at him. Suddenly, her eye was caught by movement to the side. A small knot of candy-stripers swished past, their fresh faces and happy smiles showing how proud they were to be bringing a little joy to the poor, sick and injured Starfleet officers in the military hospital. Eva Aranii let her shoulders sag, and nodded. "Fine" she said and turned, leaving abruptly, her heels clacking on the tiled floor as she stormed off in her sharp suit and coiffed hair.

Ducking into the public wing, she found an empty bedroom and sidled up to the replicator on the far wall. "Candy stripe uniform..." she ordered "Size 6." Her lips curled into a satisfied smile as the replicator began to glow. She pulled the hair pins out of her hair, letting her dark, soft tresses tumble down around her shoulders. She tried braids; too matronly, she toyed with the idea of two pigtails; too obvious, before settling on the classic high pony tail.

Slipping out of her own tailored dress suit and checking the coast was still clear, she pulled on the candy-stripe uniform and slipped on the pretty little flat white shoes. She felt ridiculous, but she had to admit, with her dark red lipstick removed, she almost looked the part. She stashed her own clothing behind the bed and, like a shadow, prowled out of the room.

---

The changing of the guard had allowed her an opportunity to try again, and with a smile and a wink, and a wave of her PADD "Oh this? Oh, well, it's just y'know, like, something to read to the coma guy?" she was in. It didn't take long for her to get her barings. She found often that looking like she knew where she was was all she needed to remain undetected. She strolled down this corridor and that one until she found the correct room. She could see him, sleeping, though the small window in the door. He seemed... so weak, it broke her heart. He was laid out, almost like a corpse, arms limp by his sides, feet together under the thin blanket, monitors and scanners cluttered around him beeping and recording every breath he took and every beat of his heart. All the equipment served to make him look small and insignificant, nothing like the strong, vibrant man of her memories.

She hadn't seen him in months. She'd heard nothing since that fateful news flash, and now, she was seconds away from holding his hand. Preparing to step inside, she gripped the PADD tightly and reached a hand forward to tap on the door release.
"Who are you?!" a raised voice demanded from behind her and she froze.
She knew in that instant she was made, but she tried anyway. She had to see him. "I'm here to, like, um..."
"Security!" the young Trill female looked aghast at the intruder in the stupid dress as two guards appeared out of nowhere. "Find out who she is and get her out of here", Lee ordered in a moment of uncharacteristic confidence.
Eva Aranii was awarded one last glimpse on Jonathan Rome before she was dragged away. She didn't know if she felt worse having seen him at all, or not having seen him enough.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: Eva Arrani - FNN journalist

Postby James Greenman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:27 pm

You had me at Candy Striper :golf:
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:30 pm

James Greenman wrote:You had me at Candy Striper :golf:

::bows::
I know my audience.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:45 pm

thanks for that log Aoibhe! love it :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:03 pm

I was on board at 'sex captain' :allears:
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:49 pm

C. J. Short wrote:I was on board at 'sex captain' :allears:

haha, that is probably the bit I'm most proud of. :)

Glad you liked it, guys,

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:50 pm

Sigma Rho's gravity destabilised again and the floor-plating rocked as another barrage of fire strafed its upper decks. "That makes 17 straight runs this hour!" a female voice shouted over the din into a small, hand-held mic.

Running could be heard over the recording as it played. "They're trying to get all the civilians off the station but..." distant rumbling and a nearby scream cut through her voice, but she continued speaking regardless. "... They're trying to get the civilians off the station still, but it's just too dangerous! We've heard rumours that the last two waves of escape pods were jettisoned successfully only to be picked off!.. I'm not sure how the station can be expected to hold up to this..." a crash on the recording was followed by the same voice cursing. "I'm OK!" she was heard to yell. "I'm... I'm OK."

"Holy shit, Jon..." her voice shook, "I thought the Rho was meant to be a peaceful station! I'm no war journalist!" she laughed through her obvious shaking fear. Her voice lowered and changed in tone. "Oh, god...I have to go-" The recording cut off abruptly.

A few seconds of silence ensued.

---

"It's... 2 hours later, we're all holed up on Deck 17. The station has suffered a decompression along some of its outer hull. We've been told reinforcements are en route... but there are so many dead, Jon. I... god, it's horrendous... I... what?" she asked as the recording once more went dead.

---

"They're trying to get us out of here now, during the lull. A path has been plotted through the station to the remaining pods. Some people are refusing to budge. Fear is gripping everyone. It's... you can practically taste it in the air over the ozone... It's making people irrational. It's hard to hang on to logic, but I can't blame some of them, you know. Not everyone has Starfleet training here. As hard as it is for the officers, it's doubly so for the civilians, even with the prospect of escape..." a loud bang was heard in the foreground. "They're releasing the locking mechanism... wish us look."

---

"I'm in a pod, now. It's cramped. We're fitting as many in as possible. The relief ships can't reach us directly, so we're going to them instead. The hope is that with so much activity the Tzenkethi won't bother with the little -" a child's cry drowned out her words. "-and then we'll be fine. I'll... I hope you're OK, Jon. Stay safe, and if we don't make it..." she was shushed angrily. "We'll make it..." but her shaking, weak voice proved she wasn't all that confident.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:09 pm

Where's the rest?!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant

Postby Babette C » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:22 pm

More!
CMO - Lt. Isabelle Rousseau - USS Hyperion NCC-77989
AMB - Lt. JG Rebecca Terell - USS Sentinel NCC-79088

Commander

Re: Eva Arrani - FNN journalist SD 11503.25

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:05 pm

The recording went dead for a few tense moments.

Then a clicking sound was heard, gentle breathing noises softening and deadening the sound. The sound of a woman taking a deep breath came through loudly, the mic close to her lips. "I can't speak for long..." she whispered. "There are too many people trying to sleep..." she spoke slowly. "We got through, Jon, eventually... We're safely on board the Yukzuka now. I'm not sure how many of us made it. I do know, after speaking to some of my pod-mates that several of them lost people in the other escape pods. I think one of the ones launched in the third wave with us was destroyed... I'm sure the head count when we reach Starbase 621 will give us all a final.. tally."

"I don't know how we survived," her voice broke and she fought back a loud sob. "It was... the worst thing I've ever witnessed. I can't sleep, Jon. I just can't stop thinking about how close we all came. I'm not certain I'll ever feel safe again. I can't stop shaking... I can't barely stop myself from crying..." she sobbed again. "I don't know how you do this..."
She was silent for a while as she worked to control her emotions.

She sighed softly. "I'm sorry... this isn't right... Look, I'll contact you when we get to 621, Jon. I miss you... Stay safe..."

Next

Return to U.S.S. Hyperion