Captain Jonathan Rome

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander

Re: Captain Jonathan Rome

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:37 pm

Holy crap...
My god, I spent that whole log wincing and clenching my stomach muscles.

Amazing writing, guys.

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:49 am

That was pleasant breakfast reading... er... not. Nicely written! And I actually, yes I admit, felt a tiny bit sorry for Rome...

Commander

Postby Einar S » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:06 am

well Andrew, it's only taken me 10 years to gather some sympathy from the devil then. Like squeezing blood from a rock geez
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:13 am

Einar S wrote:well Andrew, it's only taken me 10 years to gather some sympathy from the devil then. Like squeezing blood from a rock geez

Please... Don't say "blood"...

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:14 am

Hey, I said I felt a bit sorry. I didn't say Thalev gave a crap. :D

Commander

Captain Jonathan Rome 11511.16

Postby Einar S » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:15 pm

With CJ as Alessia

Adria made good on her promise. Repeatedly, she had come to Rome, shown him the blade, and cut into him, only to have him repaired, only for the pain to come again. This repeated from what seemed like a number of days; the nature of the pain had made time a difficult thing to measure. His abdomen was a mess of fresh scarring, and the combination of frequent agonized writhing and a lack of food had left him weak.

The doors opened again, though the silhouette wasn't Adria's. Instead, is was the young Farian woman who had been tending to his wounds. From their shared whispers, he'd gathered that her name was Alessia. Apart from sewing his carcass back together, she would bring him occasional drinks of water, as was the case now.

Jonathan craned his neck as she brought the cup to his lips and gulped the water as if it was his last. “Not too fast…” she said gently as she helped him drink. He felt at ease around her….she didn’t speak normally, or offer comfort. But she was not Adria.
He lowered his head as the cup emptied and felt some of the water trickle down his beard. He wondered how he looked now…how long was it since he last shaved, or properly cleaned himself? He didn’t even want to think about that catheter, but was relieved it was there. “Alessia. That is your name right?”
She glanced at him, but did not answer, instead looking to her tricorder as she checked his vitals.
“Alessia…this is wrong, you know it”
The Farian narrowed her eyes somewhat, trying to focus on the tricorder readings and ignore him. She couldn't, though. He'd struck a nerve.
"A lot of things are wrong," she said, snapping the tricorder shut. "You people didn't seem to care before. But I guess it's different when you're the one being violated, huh?"
He tried to move his shackled arm, to reach her hand as he gazed up at her “I’m a servant. I do what I can, where I can. But within the law…..trust me, I wish I could just fly in and fix all the wrongs in the universe, but I can’t. I have people that rely on me, people I must keep safe……Alessia, I am not responsible for what has happened to you. But if you let me, I can get you safe. Keep you safe”
Alessia rolled her eyes, turning her back to him and leaning against the table.
"I am safe," she asserted, her arms folding tightly. "Safest I've ever been." She stayed silent a moment, debating whether she should even be having this conversation.
"You think I'm afraid of her. You think she's a monster, don't you?" she asked quietly.
“No, I think she’s a bitch. I’ve met monsters, she’s....she's just a petulant child….but I know she’s doing what she thinks is right…and I know she saved you, she’s kept you safe…..but I know you also disapprove….LOOK AT ME!”
She only spared him a glance at first, a small, rueful smile on her face.
"'Petulant child,'" she echoed, giving her head a small shake. "You can do better than that." She pushed off the table and turned to look at him, her eyes taking in the damage he'd taken.
"I wouldn't do this to you. I don't have it in me. Not many do; that's why we need someone who does," she explained. "I waited for the good guys, Captain. They never came. I'll take my petulant child over you any day of the week."

His tone grew sad as he looked up at her. “So you will be cruel…..because someone was cruel to you….” He said softly, looking away from her eyes and down at his chest, red and scarred. “I get that….I do, but in the end it doesn’t really help….in the end you are so cruel to others that they have to stop you….making another generation of cruel people…and for what?” he looked back up at her, his eyes softer. “Revenge?.....trust me kiddo, it doesn’t satisfy the hunger”
Alessia huffed, casting her gaze away from Jonathan's mangled flesh.
"You have no idea what we're doing here," she challenged. "If Starfleet isn't gonna help, then people need to see that they can help themselves. And Adria is showing them the way."
“By getting herself and all of you killed? By inflicting pain and suffering on countless worlds, millions of people? Adria isn’t your savior….she’s a misguided martyr who has lost the way…..we don’t help people by killing others Alessia. I learned that the hard way”
Alessia shook her head, casting a somewhat angry look to Rome.
"No, you don't get to do that. You don't get to sit back and let people suffer because of bullshit laws that you yourselves wrote, and then criticize us for saving ourselves," she argued, turning away as angry tears started to form in her eyes. "Adria has killed because she has had to, not because it's her goal. She seeks only to inspire; because of her, Tefoy is no longer in the middle of genocide. Other worlds will follow."
“At what cost? How is their suffering alright after what you yourself have been through?”
Alessia sighed softly, her anger slowly melting away as she regarded the man on the table. She eventually unfolded her arms and moved to collect her tricorder.
"You truly don't understand. People are already suffering, Captain. Maybe you don't see it in your flying ivory towers, but it's there, in the dark nooks where your people refuse to look," she said, taking a last look at his scarred flesh. "Don't worry. This won't last much longer." With a look filled with a certain level of sympathy and sadness, she turned to leave.

“Then I name you my executioner, Alessia. And when I am dead….think about how that death helped your cause in no way. Just yet another death….and it won’t stop with me.”

She seemed to hesitate for a second before stepping through the door, leaving him alone and hurting....again. Tears started forming in his eyes as he stared at the door for what seemed like days.

"Please....let me go home"
Last edited by Einar S on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:58 pm

Another great log. I loved the line, "flying ivory towers". Very nice.

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:47 pm

::picks jaw off floor::

Commander

Captain Jonathan Rome 11511.23

Postby Einar S » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:33 am

With CJ as Adria

It had been some time since Rome's talk with Alessia, perhaps more than a day. Neither she nor Adria had appeared, not even to throw a splash of water in his face. There had simply been the lights, and the sounds, and slow approach of death.
It was hard to tell whether the sound of the far doors opening were a blessing or a curse. The appearance of Adria's shadow suggested the latter.
Jonathan attempted to speak but managed only to emit a croak. He licked his cracked lips and tried to scrounge up some moisture to feed his dry mouth. “Please….”
She stayed in the darkness a moment, watching him as he clung to life as he had so many times before. Her footsteps sounded her approach, and she stepped into the light, holding the familiar dagger in her hand.
She set it gently on his chest before cradling his head, lifting it as she offered him a drink of water, seemingly from nowhere.
Jonathan drank from the cup, savoring every last drop before a couching fit overtook him as he laid there constrained against his will.
Adria took care to gently wipe his lips, looking down at him with an odd air. Her visage was mostly shadowed, but her eyes seemed softer.
"It's almost over. Your friends know where you are; you'll be home soon," she assured him.
“You….you are letting me go?” he asked, suddenly feeling relief….but it was shortlived as he realized she would never just let him leave just like that. “Don’t hurt my friends….don’t hurt my crew, please” he pleaded.

"I don't intend to hurt anyone, Jonathan," she explained. "As long as they don't get in my way. They can have you, tired and malnourished, but alive. By then, you'll have served your purpose." She laid a hand on his chest, over his scar, feeling his heartbeat.
“To witness?” He looked dawn at her hand on his chest as his heart raced in fear.
She gave him a brief smile as she patted his chest, turning her back to him and leaning against the table.
"I tried to put it all behind. To go straight, you know? For a brief period of time, I felt free. I believed I could have a life." Her voice trembled lightly as she spoke, adding to the odd sense of vulnerability.
"But it stays with you. You know that. The things you endure, the things you have to do. It comes for you in the silence, in the darkness, pulling at you as you try to sleep." She swallowed softly, folding her arms.
"Life was never in the cards for me."
Jonathan felt the fear subside as he listened to her talk. Talk to him like a person for once….and her words resonated with him, more than he wanted to admit.
“I….feel the same”
The Orion offered a slight shrug.
"Maybe you do," she offered with a sigh. "But you chose this. You chose to have to deal with people like me, and Dixon. You chose a life of service to your Federation." She pushed off the table and turned to look at him.
"I wasn't given that choice," she stated coolly. "Millions of little girls and boys weren't given that choice, and that evil, that vile crime has been allowed to continue by your Federation." Adria frowned as she gently stroked his hair, her eyes a strange mix of anger and resignation.
"I know you have your reasons," she continued. "I'm sure this was a calculated choice. But that choice has a cost, Jonathan. One that has been nameless and faceless for far too long." She took a deep, steadying breath, a hand lightly traversing the scars on his abdomen.
"So I've carved that cost into your flesh. Into your soul, so that you'll never forget. And before all is said and done, I will burn that cost into the heart of the Federation itself."
Jonathan noticed that he no longer flinched at her touch. Maybe she was right….he chose this life of solitude and pain, and it had led him here. But for what? What good had he really done when considering the evil running rampant in the galaxy. “I’m sorry” he caught himself saying as he looked up at her.
“It should have never happened to you…or anyone”
Adria took a deep breath. She hadn't expected that, or the impact it would have. Somewhere in the back of her mind, she wondered how different things might be if she had heard that a decade ago. As it was, however, they were too late.
She bent down and gently kissed Jonathan on the forehead, grabbing the dagger from his chest.
"I'm sorry too," she whispered, the dagger hovering briefly over his neck before she reached above his head, releasing his wrists from their restraints. She gave him one last look before turning to leave.
Jonathan slowly brought his arms down and massaged the bruised wrists despite the agonizing pain of muscle atrophy running down his arms. “Adria….wait”
She stopped as the doors opened, listening to what he had to say.
“What am I supposed to do now?” he asked as he raised himself up to a sitting position and massaged some life into his still shackled feet, his eyes pleading. “I don’t understand”
"You'll stay in this room until your ship arrives," she explained. "I'll come for you when it's time."
With that, she left him in the darkened room, just as trapped as he'd always been.
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:42 am

I am intrigued, and confused and I like it!

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Hyperion