ENG Ens Zhett Okiah

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Lieutenant

Re: ENG Ens Zhett Okiah

Postby Andrew James » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:25 am

ENG Ens Zhett Okiah 11511.09

For three days, Okiah had hacked away at the device until the receiver could finally be removed. She'd get to Engineering in the morning, have her caramel cappuccino, then sit in front of the thing that had threatened all their lives. It was easy to get lost in the sheer pleasure of figuring out how it worked and then pulling it apart, but every now and then she'd snap back to the reality that it represented duplicity.

She shouldn't be surprised, yet she was. Okiah had grown up at a mining facility and would often accompany her father to a nearby trading outpost, where she'd met all sorts of people from all sorts of places. Ferengi merchants were notorious for trying to cheat. Once, two Nausicaan ships had opened fire on each other over a deal gone sour. Another time the silo alarms were set off by pirates; they escaped with over half the month's haul.

But Starfleet were the ones you called when they showed up. They were the go-to-guys, they represented justice, honour, the protectors of how far society had come. It was one reason she'd joined Starfleet in the first place. What a fool she'd been not to see through the rhetoric, what a fool to soak up all the marketing lingo. What a fool to have excepted Starfleet from the same rigor with which she assessed everyone else on those trade outpost runs.

Between mulling this over and yanking wires from the device, Okiah came to the conclusion that Starfleet probably did represent all those noble things, and that most people who wore the uniform shared those tenets. The uniform stood for something. Some people abused it and forgot why they had first donned it. She resolved never to let that happen to her.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:48 am

that was very good Andrew! Starfleet is behaving somewhat strangely
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:13 am

Thanks Einar!

Lieutenant

ENG Ens Zhett Okiah 11512.07

Postby Andrew James » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:15 pm

With CJ as Alessia

ENG Ensign Zhett Okiah 11512.07

In front of Okiah sat two isolated computer units. On the left, the data she'd downloaded from the station where they'd rescued Rome. On the right, where she'd plug the data rod in as soon as the computer had finished replicating an interface. Only a few hours ago she'd overseen the rejoining of the Prometheus. It was a good day to be an engineer.

The data from the station had seemed pretty meaningless at first. There were mostly residential records, and the occasional reference to deleted scientific experiments. Lots of reference numbers, not much useful data. A lot of files had clearly been deleted, including Adria's entries. But some of her followers hadn't been as cautious. Personal logs went on about how they supported Adria. At times it almost sounded religious. With each passing log, Okiah found herself shifting back and forth between hating what they had done, to feeling sorry for them, almost supporting them, and all the emotions in-between. They were wrong, yes, but it was easy to see, on a personal level anyway, how some of them had ended up where they were, and Okiah wondered how she'd have come out the other side of some of the experiences related in the logs.

One person's logs stood out above all others - Alessia. Her logs were heart-wrenching.

"I was 8 or 9 when I first met Adria. I was, um... I was in what they called 'training,' at the time. I was too young for the network I was in at the time, thankfully; I learned afterward that some networks had no... well. They would, um... they would make me watch, so that I could learn. The clients didn't really hold back because I was there, though. It, uh... it got rough a lot. At least once a week, I'd have to sit and watch.

One night, I was watching this really slovenly Bolian with a young Farian woman, like me. It was like looking into the future, and I remember I couldn't stop crying because I didn't... I didn't want to do that. I didn't want that to be my life. I'm sure some time passed, but in my head it seems like it was instantaneous; there were these loud bangs outside the door, and some brief shouting. The Bolian shoved the girl off of him and grabbed a disruptor from the little end-table there. He moved to the door, but these holes seemed to just appear, first in the door, and then in him, blue liquid spraying out behind him as he tumbled backwards and to the floor.

That's when I saw her. She kicked in the door, this... righteous fury in her eyes. She looked to the two of us, and she just said 'go,' and we did. We ran out through the main room. I... I can't really picture it any more, but I know there were bodies all over the place. The other girl had grabbed a sheet or something and bolted into the street. I stopped just outside the door and sat on the ground, head reeling, not really sure what was happening.

After a little while, she emerged, covered in streaks of blue. She looked at me, and I looked up at her. She knew I didn't have anywhere to go. I, uh... I could tell by the look in her eyes that she knew what I had been through, and she just offered her hand. I've been with her ever since."

Zhett had just turned 8 when she'd started work on her very first serious engineering project, restoring a damaged mining shuttle. She remembered being happy. A wave of sadness came over her for a moment, then guilt, then anger at herself for feeling guilty. Poor Alessia. No, poor 8 year old Alessia. Okiah could see the toll those experiences would take on her, she's not an evil person... But she made choices, she always had a choice. Right?

It was easy to see why Alessia developed feelings for Adria. "I'm in love with her. I know that, now. I thought... well, I... think, I had put her on this impossibly high pedestal. I didn't think it was possible to love her; she was this otherworldly being, this goddess of vengeance and fury. But, laying with her, listening to her, seeing her vulnerable... What Adria has done is extraordinary. It's easy to think of a goddess being so strong, but thinking of her just as a person, it's just incredible.

"I've never been more sure than I am now that I want to be beside her."

But romantic feelings? A mother figure, sure, but... Okiah shook her head, reminding herself that she was not a psychologist. She kept on reading, another log.

"I'm starting to see the toll this is taking on her. She's not an evil person, but the things she has to do... The heroes have abandoned us. They've set up their little Federation like some kind of good guy reserve, and anyone outside of it is shit outta luck. So all we have to save us from the monsters are other monsters. And she... well. She's our monster. And it's killing her. I just hope there's something left of her when we're done."

This was the scariest part of all. It was like reading her own thoughts about Alessia... it was frightening how easy it could be to fall into the mindset Alessia had fallen into, that Adria had fallen into. But, she told herself, half-sure, it all depended how you acted on those thoughts, and they'd clearly taken it too far. How many steps were there from a traumatic event to torturing a Starfleet officer?

This was getting her nowhere. There were tons of logs, but no real information, just insights that psychologists and criminologists could delve into later. "Computer, run a filter for any mention of Captain Rome."

"One entry, stardate 11511 point 16."

"Play it!" The screen changed again, this time an older Alessia. She looked tired.

"Something has changed. Ever since we brought Captain Rome here, she's been different. She seems at peace, and that scares me. I, um... I've had this worry, for a few months now, that she doesn't plan on surviving." There was a long pause as a few tears rolled gently down Alessia's cheeks. Please let this be the last log she had to watch, this was too hard. Okiah let out a sigh. There was too much suffering out here, away from her safe asteroid belt home, everything and everyone were open and exposed and vulnerable.

"I don't know what I would do without her. She's everything to me. But... I know I can't stop her. No one ever has been. She's committed, now. I'm... I'm going to ask her to run away with me. I know she won't, but... I need her to know how I feel. And I need to know how that makes her feel."

This was never going to end well. They'd done too much, Okiah feared Starfleet would go in guns blazing. What if they could help them instead? Was that even what they wanted? Could they even do it? Did they still deserve help at this point? Okiah was interrupted by the computer indicating the interface for the data rod was ready. She plugged it in, viewing the schematics that popped up, and when she saw each page wrote 'Project Genesis' on the top, she knew, from Alessia's logs, that Adria wasn't bluffing. How many people would die... How many more Adria's would yet emerge from Genesis?
Last edited by Andrew James on Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:17 am

Well, we're screwed.
Great log, Andrew. Pity it'll be the last one any of us write before we're blasted into a bazillion molecules!

Commander

Postby Einar S » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:15 am

chilling stuff from you guys, well done.
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant

ENG Ens Zhett Okiah 11601.11

Postby Andrew James » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:15 am

There were years of personal logs in the database retrieved from the station where they'd rescued Captain Rome. They weren't Adria's logs, but from one of her closest followers, lover even, Alessia. In some ways, the logs gave a better insight into Adria than any logs Adria may have made. Okiah had gone through each and every log, which was why she was convinced this latest twist wasn't par for the course.

Adria had Captain Rome, used him to deliver a terrifying message. He'd served his purpose. The job had been done, the goal accomplished. Capturing Danann made no sense. Right now, Okiah had a few possibilities in her mind:

• Adria had forgotten something the first time around, which was very unlikely - if anything the logs had shown how strong a person Adria was.
  • Danann had some specific skill or ability Adria needed, something only she possessed.
  • Adria had taken Danann as a distraction, to keep the Hyperion off her Genesis trail.
  • Or, it wasn't Adria who had taken her at all.

Okiah sat back in her chair, her hand propping up her chin as if it weighed too much.

"Computer," Okiah said quietly, "Replay the final log from Alessia."

I'm going to ask her to run away with me. I know she won't, but... I need her to know how I feel. And I need to know how that makes her feel.

Alessia was desperate and heartbroken. She'd shown a hint of remorse over what Adria was doing to Captain Rome. That was just one person... the thought of entire planets being destroyed might be too much for her. And, out of the hundreds of Starfleet officers and others out to get Adria, kill or capture her, Alessia was probably the only one still trying to help her, to take her away to safety.

Okiah jumped up from her chair. She needed to speak with the Captain. Maybe they'd been going about this all wrong. Maybe it wasn't Adria they needed to find.

Lieutenant

ENG Ens Zhett Okiah 11604.25

Postby Andrew James » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:36 am

ENG Ensign Zhett Okiah 11604.25

Denn always walked with a hint of a limp, groaned when he stood up or sat down, and for the first time Zhett noticed her father was aging. He didn't look old, so the revelation came as a surprise; he always looked perfectly fine on Subspace. When, with only a day left of her visit, he asked her to help with a refit, she contacted Starfleet and requested a leave of absence. "I'm so proud of you," he said in his orotund voice, "but we miss you. It'll be nice to have you around for a little longer."

"A little longer" ended up being three months. Zhett could probably have completed the update for the mining facility in two months, but in truth she was happy to be home and she had been trying to think of an excuse to stay. Her previous mission on the Hyperion had revolved around Adria, a gone-mad avenger, and Alessia whose love for the former blinded her to the evil she had become. Zhett had poured through hundreds of personal logs and letters in an attempt to guess their next move and it had thrown her for six. She wanted the familiarity of her remote asteroid-belt home. Her father easily read her lugubrious face and probably would have ordered a refit at that point even if it hadn't already been scheduled.

The day she was finally scheduled to leave, she sat in a small ore-collector she'd salvaged and repaired when she was eight years old. It hadn't flown for years and was rusting away in one of the cargo hangars. Zhett had squeezed herself into the tatty cockpit when her grandfather had died, when her older brother Peter had been arrested, when her best friend had moved away. She'd sat between the exposed wires and cracked displays when she'd decided to join Starfleet. Denn had known exactly where to find her. He approached the small vessel with Zhett's mother, Sarein. "Unknown alien life form off the port bow," he said through the open window.

Zhett turned to her parents, "I never did manage to fix the sensors on this thing." She slid the door open with a scrape and a clatter and clambered to her feet. Sarein seldom said very much, showing her support with a timely hug.

"Something we could do next time you visit," Denn offered. "You managed to get the bucket flying again, you might as well be able to see where you're going." Zhett embraced him. He always seemed to know what to say.

Once the shuttle was swirling between loose asteroids and zipping out of the mining facility, Zhett looked forward to returning to the Hyperion and it's never-dull existence, refreshed and ready to go again.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:04 pm

a well written and beautiful log, I really like when I see the person behind the officer :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Previous

Return to U.S.S. Hyperion