ENG Ens Zhett Okiah

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Lieutenant

Re: ENG Ens Zhett Okiah

Postby Andrew James » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:25 am

"People on the Hyperion took coffee very seriously"
I rest my case.

Lieutenant

Postby Babette C » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:19 pm

coffee doesn't need flavoring if it's good coffee.. ;)
CMO - Lt. Isabelle Rousseau - USS Hyperion NCC-77989
AMB - Lt. JG Rebecca Terell - USS Sentinel NCC-79088

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:20 pm

Babette C wrote:coffee doesn't need flavoring if it's good coffee.. ;)

:smug:

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:28 pm

I think what has happened is that you're all used to the bad coffee. A newcomer, used to good coffee, can taste the difference. Yep. That must be it. That, or Okiah just likes caramel. Or both.

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:38 pm

I'll have you know that the Captain has drunk from, and broken, some of the best cafetieres out there!

Lieutenant

ENG Ens Zhett Okiah 11506.08

Postby Andrew James » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:22 pm

ENG Ens Zhett Okiah 11506.08

Stifling a yawn and wiping a tired tear from her eye, Zhett slowly walked down the corridor. Normally she'd have been too tired to think about the day, but a battle with the Tzenkethi had a way of occupying one's thoughts long after the event.

She'd been lucky, in a way. She was pretty new to this whole war. Sure, she'd seen the news, kept up with what was going on, but she'd been shielded from the reality of it. Looking back on it, she was convinced that every single graduate of her class were horribly under-prepared. They'd learnt how to keep calm under pressure, how to effectively carry out their duties, and yes there were even psychological tests, but there was nothing that could really get you ready for this. The exhaustion fed the emotion which fed the exhaustion in a vicious circle. Still, she couldn't, and wouldn't, ever take for granted that most people around her had been through far more during this war. It wasn't that she felt sorry for herself, it was that it was a challenge to adjust.

The doors on her quarters slid open, and she stepped inside. Her roommate, Jen, wasn't back yet. No surprise considering the sheer ammount of work that was going on. Without changing, Zhett collapsed onto her bed.

When the computer woke her up, she realised she hadn't moved since she'd fallen on the bed. She sat up and reached out for some water. Had it been six hours already? The computer chimed again; it wasn't her alarm after all. "Uh, yeah, come in?" she said, still a little groggy.

In stepped two female officers in yellow. "We're here to collect Ensign Davao's things."

"What?" She stood up, stretching as she did so.

"It'll only take a few minutes," the other one said, clearly as tired as Zhett felt.

"Why do you need Jen's things, has she been transferred?"

"Oh, er, you don't know? I'm sorry." To her credit, the officer looked genuinely upset. "Ensign Davao didn't survive the last attack." She looked to the floor, then back up. "Just give us a few minutes."

Zhett sat back down on the bed, and zoned out. She didn't even notice the officers leave. She hadn't known Jen for more than a couple of weeks, but the news hit her hard. She shed a tear, and thought of Jen until exhaustion overwhelmed her and she fell asleep once more.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:30 pm

oh god Andrew. Brilliant log and chilling
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:32 pm

I feel like I should feel bad for putting you all through this. I don't, but I *feel* like I should.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:01 pm

Ensign Zhett Okiah, 11506.22

Maria Devlin snored. Zhett's new room mate had moved in before they'd finished packing up Jen's things, and that meant, through no fault of Maria's, that Zhett already resented her. She knew it was unreasonable and she told herself to stop being silly, but then she'd lie in bed and she'd hear Maria's stupid snoring coming from her stupid mouth, and she'd have to roll Maria's stupid body onto its side. Not that it helped.

And the most annoying thing was the snore was at just the right frequency to merge with the general hum of the ship to make it sound like the engines were out of alignment. When Zhett had been nine years old, she'd gone on vacation with her family to Klovek IV. In the hotel room they'd had air conditioning to survive the humid nights and stave off the damned mosquitoes. It made just the right sort of noise that when she was half-awake come the morning, it would sound like it was raining outside. Maria's snoring was like that.

She put her foul mood down to being so tired, but that was partly Maria's fault for keeping her awake anyway. Zhett sighed quietly, castigating herself for being so petty. Who knows if Maria would survive the next Tzenkethi attack. What if I don't survive the next attack? Either way, one of them would be left hurt should that happen, meaning it was probably best to keep her distance. It was also the reason Zhett still hadn't unpacked her small travel bag since she'd been assigned to the Hyperion.

Maria let out a snort in her sleep. Zhett gave up, getting to her feet and heading down to start her next shift a couple of hours early.

Lieutenant

ENG Ens Zhett Okiah & CMO LtJG Isabelle Rousseau 11508.17

Postby Andrew James » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:22 pm

ENG Ens Zhett Okiah & CMO LtJG Isabelle Rousseau 11508.17

When Egrin stepped out of the room, Okiah pushed herself away from the wall she'd been leaning on. From a small table, she picked up some of the patient's drawings, most of them scribbles of a 'Trunike'. Maybe she wanted one for a pet. Okiah hoped one day she'd be able to.

"So Doc," she said as she put the pictures back down. "Do we even know her name?"

Isabelle finished taking the blood sample from the little girl’s arm and handed it off to the med-tech that was assisting her. She looked up as Okiah asked the question. “No.. we don’t. Not yet, anyway. I will make it a point to ask as soon as Egrin returns.”

“Phelps,” She looked towards the med-tech. “Please set up the portable lab and start analysing that sample.” The tech nodded and began taking a device out of a case that he had carried in with him.

She dosed the girl with the anti-inflammatories that she had brought with her, then dipped the wet cloth into some fresh water, laying it back on the girl’s forehead. She looked over at the drawings that Okiah had put down on the bedside table.

“She’s a good artist.. maybe she’s signed her drawings?”

"Yeah, there's something scribbled here, but it's in the Tefoy language." Okiah paused, watching the tech assisting, having every confidence in the medical team. She knew people were sick elsewhere too, many other victims, but there was something about being in the room with just this one little girl. It was intimate, not just a number on a padd. "I'm sure you'll figure this out. Not that you need me to tell you." She scratched her ear, then paced to the other side of the small room.

“Actually, I could use your help with something." She smiled at Okiah. "I need an uplink to the ship’s science labs and medical database. I’ll need to compare our findings with the information in the database, and Science will also need to analyse it. At the moment, I have no idea what's causing this. My preliminary scans aren't showing any type of virus or bacteria that I recognize.."

Okiah froze for a moment, wondering if the Doctor was going to ask her to do something medical, but when she realised what it was, she relaxed. Machines were complicated to fix, like people, except they didn't make as much mess. "Absolutely, that'll only take a couple of minutes." She walked over to one of the boxes they'd brought with them and got to work setting it up. "So, you're saying that so far you have no idea what it is? That's... scary."

"Not yet; There's only so much a tricorder can do, especially with something unknown like this. The lab test results should give much more detailed information. And hopefully when Egrin comes back, he can at least tell us how she was exposed to this disease. Since the Teffens haven't exactly been forthcoming with information, we're basically starting from scratch here." She tried to keep the frustration out of her voice, but it was hard to mask her feelings towards the ones who had let this epidemic go on for so long.

"Did you notice how Egrin reacted when you asked how the disease contracted? I don't think I'm looking forward to the answer." She sighed as she heard Egrin coming back down the corridor.

“I did, but I also noticed that he’s the first person we’ve met here who seems to have a conscience. He seemed surprised that we were here instead of looking after the people in the residency sector. I’m very curious about his answer. Hopefully what he has to tell us will help the others.”

Okiah nodded her agreement. "It makes you wonder how bad it is over there."

“I don’t know, but I’m sure we’ll find out once we meet up with the others. Even from the outside, it didn’t look pleasant…” She trailed off and looked up as Egrin opened the door to the room. “Egrin, there’s something I should have asked you earlier. What is your little girl’s name? She’s a wonderful artist…”

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Hyperion