NAV Lt Cmdr Niamh Danann

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Lieutenant

Re: CEO Lt Cmdr Niamh Danann

Postby Babette C » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:34 pm

Well done, Aoibhe :-) You'll need sterilize that tricorder before going back to the ship, though…
CMO - Lt. Isabelle Rousseau - USS Hyperion NCC-77989
AMB - Lt. JG Rebecca Terell - USS Sentinel NCC-79088

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:42 pm

heheh, Babs. I'm a pilot, not a... etc, etc.

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:24 am

The crowd surged forward again, a swirling maelstrom of chaos and panic. Bodies pushed every which way in a desperate attempt to escape. Rats on a sinking ship. Those that fell were trampled over, those with children were given no quarter. The weak, the young, the old were invisible in the blindness that comes with total fear.

The little girl felt her mother's arms ripped from around her body as a surge of bodies from the right joined the main stampede. For a few moments, her feet remained aloft, so thick was the crush of bodies. If she could have turned, she'd have seen her mother desperately trying to push around the few people separating her from her child. The noise, the din, the fevered desperation, all conspired to push them farther from each other.

"Mama!" she cried, her voice lost in the tumult of screams and klaxons. "Mama!"

The mass of bodies eased for a moment, and she tumbled to the ground. A forest of rapidly moving legs confronted her. She tried to call again, but it was no use. Crying uncontrollably, she hung on to the nearest leg, feeling it's owner trying to shake her off. She received a kick to her back, god knows from where, but it loosened her grip enough for her to tumble back to the floor.

Somehow, pure instinct, probably, she managed to ignore the pain in her spine and navigated over bodies, under boots, around tangles of shins, to the edge of the corridor. Moving involuntarily with the crowd, she spotted an open hatchway and scrambled to climb inside.

Tear streaked and bloody, she shivered in the gloom, sobbing and calling weakly for her Mama.
"They don't do it on purpose," a gentle voice said.
She gasped, chocked and searched the jeffries tube for the owner of the voice.
"It's just what happens when they don't know what to do."
"Who are you."
"I'm Ferek. What's your name?"
"I want my Mama..."
"You're safe here. It's just the decompression alarm. Give it an hour."
Niamh caught sight of him then, a young boy, several years her senior, but to her his expression, his words seemed infinitely wise. She felt intimidated and awed.
"It's just fear," he repeated wearily. "When grown ups get scared, they get mean. They can't help it. It's like they forget to be people."
Niamh sniffed, wiping her running nose on her sleeve.
"Will they get better?"
Ferek didn't answer. He reached forward, took hold of the hatch door and closed it firmly. The klaxons quieted down and the yelling seemed more distant.
"We'll be safe in here."

---

Niamh looked at the frail man on the biobed, struggling to sit up. She was asking the impossible of him, she knew. But the alternative was too ghastly to contemplate. She had to find a way to remind those poor, sick Tefens planetside that they were still people.
So much depended on this. In a way, it was deeply personal.

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:59 am

Holy shit Aoibhe. Fantastic log, that was harrowing, and I really want to know what the hell was going on with child Niamh. ::applauds::

Commander

Postby Einar S » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:16 am

"It's just fear," he repeated wearily. "When grown ups get scared, they get mean. They can't help it. It's like they forget to be people."

holy crap you can write some goosebumpy shit
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:29 pm

Aw, thanks guys. :)
This is what happens when I write before breakfast, I guess.

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:42 pm

Wow you write some dark stuff when you've not had your coffee yet!

Lieutenant

Postby Babette C » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:19 pm

That was excellent, A : ) Well done!
CMO - Lt. Isabelle Rousseau - USS Hyperion NCC-77989
AMB - Lt. JG Rebecca Terell - USS Sentinel NCC-79088

Commander

aXO Lt Cmdr Niamh Danann 11509.21

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:40 pm

It was a dark night.
Dark in the way that only a moonless, humid night could be. The air was deep and wet and sticky with the scent of honeysuckle. Niamh turned in her sleep, groaned and woke up. She wasn't sure why, but everything felt different all of a sudden. She reached out a tentative hand, searching for Tony, afraid in her half-sleep that he'd have disappeared again, but there he was at her side, sound asleep.
She pulled the light sheet off her body, resenting his Italian blood and his ability to sleep soundly in these tropical temperatures. Damn Italy! Why did he have to insist on living here?
Her skin was slick with sweat. She pulled her tired legs out from under the last vestiges of bedsheet and pulled herself with difficulty into a sitting position, her bare feet coming to rest on the wooden floor.

Maybe she'd go have a cold shower. That usually helped.

Even the thought of the cool water on her naked skin brought relief to her mind. She went to stand up and-
"Oh crap..." she groaned, leaning forward. The pain hit her like a clap of thunder. She held her breath, remaining perfectly still til it passed.
"You OK?" Tony turned and activated a single light. He looked sleepily at Niamh in the gloom. His dark hair was tousled and his expression was dozy. He took in her hunched posture, her arms nursing her pregnancy bump protectively.
"I think it's time..."
Tony's eyes widened with understanding.

--

"Antonia! Niamh rested a hand on her hip and rolled her eyes. "Honestly, little lady, you have to come when I call you, the swings will be there after your lunch... " she stretched out her hand and waited for her little daughter to toddle over to her at the edge of the small play area. Antonia's tiny hand reached out and grabbed her mother's thumb. "I was flying!" she announced with all the confidence a three your old possessed. "I was in a shuttle, like the one you fly, Mommy. Did you see me? I was shooting the bad guys."
"Daddy will be very pleased to hear that, duckie... let's get back before he's eaten everything."

--

"I get why you're worried, love, I do..." Tony said, trying to sound reasonable as Niamh continued to fume in the small kitchen.
"She could have warned us!" she hissed.
Tony nodded, resting his hands on his wife's shoulders. "Yes, she could have, but think back to when you were that age, would you have had the sense to warn your folks?"
"When I was that age, I was scrounging for replicator parts in disused sections of broken down stations while my mother entertained passing freighter captains for a few slips of latinum..."
Tony winced. "OK, you're not the best example."
"That's putting it mildly..." Niamh took a mouthful of her scotch, watching the rest of it swirl in her glass to avoid eye contact with Tony.
"This is the first boy she's brought home, Nia. Be nice."
"He's Klingon..."
Tony smiled warmly and kissed her gently. He swept a strand of hair off her face and cupped her freckled cheek. "I seem to recall you liking a Klingon or two well enough in your day. Or did that bite-mark get on your shoulder all on its own?"

--

"...and so, assembled guests, honoured faculty, family, friends, teachers... it is with great pride that I now present to you all... the graduating class of 2413!"
Antonia waved at her parents from among the hundreds of smiling faces. The music started up and all of a sudden the neat rows of smartly dressed cadets erupted in a sea of hugs and cheers. They'd done it. They'd made it through four years of Starfleet Academy training.
Niamh, smart in her dress uniform cheered from the audience. Tony, similarly dressed whistled loudly. They couldn't look at each other, emotions were running too high. They both knew a single glance would have them both blubbing.
Their little baby was a Starfleet officer.

--

"Mom!" Antonia blasted into the hospital room with all the energy of a quantum torpedo. "I got here as fast as I could!"
Niamh sensed the exhaustion in her daughter's voice. She had been stationed near Andoria. It was a long way to travel in a short amount of time. Niamh said nothing. She didn't even turn to look at her daughter. All she had the power to do was hold out her hand for Antonia to take. For a moment, her hand remained empty. She felt the fear and despair and loneliness welling up inside her once more. Her old hand shook.
"Did I get here on time?" Antonia asked with worry as she slipped her hand into her ageing mother's, holding her thumb gently.
Niamh nodded slowly, her grey hair covering her face. "Did you bring the kids?"
Antonia squeezed her hand lightly. "They're with Kort'ok this month."
Niamh's voice shook. "Tony would have liked to see them one last time..."
"I know, Mom... I know..."

The two women fell into a heavy silence as they stared at the ailing, unconscious man in the hospital bed. The only sound in the room now was his slow, laboured breathing and the ubiquitous beep of the heart monitor counting down the final moments of a failing heart.

--

Niamh shook herself out of her reverie. She rested a hand on her still flat stomach as the transporter engaged and sent them to the planet surface.
Tony was back. Somehow, the fates had conspired to return him to her, and that made her heart sing. But she was all too aware, as the surface of Tefen solidified beneath her booted feet, that she'd lost him once, and that some day, some time, somewhere, the fates would grow bored with her and she'd have to go through all of that heartache all over again.
Last edited by Aoibhe Ni on Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:29 pm

Now now, there's always the possibility that she dies first.

Awesome log, Aoibhe :)
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Hyperion