NAV Lt Cmdr Niamh Danann

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander

NAV Lt Cmdr Niamh Danann

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:13 am

Zero Log
---

"OK, now, hook your leg around my knee," Niamh said as she held on tight.
"Dammit, Niamh, this is impossible," the poor flight engineer of the USS Hamburg grumbled with frustration.
"We managed the back-flip, this is no different."
"My leg doesn't go that way."
"It will, if you just sort of throw it up here," Niamh couldn't help but laugh. "...here, lemme get a hold of your foot..."
She reached over and grasped his booted ankle by the loop at the side and pulled.
"Oh," her partner said with surprise. "Oh, right, I get it, now."
Niamh grinned. "I'll make a Zero-G football player out of you yet. Now, hang on tight to that bar til I tell you to let go."
The pair were suspended upside down on the Zero-G court she had installed in the cargo bay. The gravity was off, the room had been cleared of cargo, and the walls, ceiling and floor (arbitrary designations in Zero-G) had all been fitted with loops, bars and redirectors.
Both players were kitted out in smooth, lightly armoured bodysuits that had a series of loops at strategic locations. Their boots were soft and pliable, making it easier to hook a foot into a wall-mounted bar. Niamh had a foot through one now, knee bent, her partner, Lt Stack chewing his lip nervously.
"No-one gets this the first time, Richard. Don't sweat it." She grinned, her eyes lighting up.
Stack took a deep breath. "I'm aiming for the mid-way redirector. I sling-shot off that to the north-western goal", he said as a last second reminder.

"On the count of three..."
Stack nodded.

"One..." Niamh said. "Two..." and she launched the off the wall, spinning against the momentum of Stack's body to send him in the right direction. She reached for and grabbed the ball floating on its own in the void, and threw it blindly behind her before thudding into the far wall. Her heard a yell behind her somewhere, then a crash. Grabbing a wall-bar she turned and looked back the way she had come.
Stack, it appeared, had made it. "Nice job!" she called over. "Ready to try that tomorrow night?"
"Danann... I spun around that damn redirector three times. Do you know how fast I was going by the time I let go?"
"At a guess, I'd say 'very'."
"Good guess."
"This isn't my first rodeo", she joked as she launched herself over to him.
"A rodeo would be safer..." Stack replied, nonplussed, as he dabbed his bloodied nose with a sleeve.
"Next time let go faster, grasshopper". Niamh said as the door directly below them opened and a surprised Ensign looked up at them.

"Hi!" Niamh smiled, aimed her legs at the bar nearest the opening and shot across the void. "No gravity. Watch you don't float on in." She landed to the side of the door frame and peered out at the Ensign, upside down, accepting the PADD from her. Reviewing it briefly she chewed her lip and looked up at Stack. "Looks like you're gonna have to find a new spotter, Richard. I have to pack. New ship." She glanced down at the PADD. "What do you know about the Hyperion?"
Last edited by Aoibhe Ni on Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Commander

XO LtCmdr Niamh Danann & Hooke CEO LtCmdr Adalberto - 10404.

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:28 am

A couple of minutes later Tony's grinning face appeared on the screen, a bit shaky. "Hey you...sorry, have you on my PADD. Just grabbing some lunch before heading back to the Bridge"
"So, I get to watch you eating... nice." She smiled warmly before examining his expression. "Everything all right there? Are you OK to talk?"
Tony sighed "Things are not all right, but....I have a feeling they will work out in the end." he shrugged and took a bite of his fish....or it was supposed to be fish but these damn replicators never got the texture right. "I can talk" he said and smiled. "It's good to see you"
She smiled again, looking down, still not used to having an actually defined relationship of any kind. "Yea..." she let the moment hold its own for as long as she could bare to, then broke it suddenly "Did you ever serve under Captain Rome when you were on the Scimitar?"
Tony stopped for a moment to think "Actually I think he took Command just as I left.....after my accident" he put the fork down and pushed the plate away, then cleared his throat. "But I know of him, he was Ethan's...Captain MacAllister's friend, served under him on the Scimitar at some point before running some station. Why? ...Just so you know, I don't like to share."
"Pff," Niamh rolled her eyes a little. "That is not what you said when I mentioned my Orion friend with a penchant for human couples..."
Tony flinched. "Nia! I'm in the messhall."
"Oh, sorry..." Niamh replied, raising her voice with a twinkle in her eye "Do you need me to speak louder?"
"Don't make me mute you," he answered with a wag of his fork.
"OK, ok.. Commander...I'll behave. I'll respect your squeaky clean image, and won't let slip any of the sordid details of our-"
Tony tapped the mute button, watching Niamh chatter on for a few more seconds before she stopped, realisation crossing her face. She visibly sighed and held up her hands in surrender, mouthing the words "You win".
He unmuted her once more.
"Why are you asking about Rome, anyway?"
"Oh, just that they're moving me off the Hamburg and onto his new vessel. Sooo... if you need me, I'll be on the Hyperion." She smiled. "It's a Prometheus, Tony... multi-vector assault mode. Scrap the old bucket list. The new one just says 'Fly all three sections'."
Tony laughed a genuine smile, those only happened around Niamh "It's a fine ship...I'd love to get my hands on the MVAM myself"
"You could always visit... but... just so you know, I don't like to share, either."
"Naah....Rome's beard would itch" he said winking, then plopped a bite into his mouth.
She grinned, remembering the day she had finally managed to coax him out of his own scruffy beard. That had been a fun day. "Getting a bit stubbly, there, yourself, handsome."
Tony ran a hand over his chin, "been a busy few days"
"Anything I can do?" It was a simple question, but it was not one she would offer to just anyone. Tony had started out as a brief amusement for her, and she for him, but things had changed as they had spent more time with each other, and now, though their relationship remained mostly undefined, they both felt a certain sense of ownership over each other.
"No, I'll manage. I just don't see a happy ending for these people..." he trailed off, of course Niamh had no idea what his mission was, but she had had the same look on her face enough times to know what he was feeling.
She winced in empathy. "My mother always says, 'Do your best. And if your best isn't good enough, fuck it, at least you tried'," she shrugged "I never said my mother was a philosopher..."
Tony chuckled and the image shook as he stood up, the camera following him "Thanks"
"Don't mention it, and hey yea, good luck. I, em..." I miss you, I wish I was there, I need you here... "I'll see you soon."
"Yeah....you too" he said knowingly, then winked and shut off the comm.

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Re: XO Lt Cmdr Niamh Danann

Postby C. J. Short » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:23 pm

D'aww, adorable.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

CO Capt Rome & XO Lt Cmdr Danann - SD 11405.05

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu May 08, 2014 2:13 pm

Jonathan strode out of the Turbolift as it reached the Bridge and nodded to Feyna who glared at him like he was late for dinner, then glanced over at the newcomer on his Bridge and snapped his fingers. "You, Ready room".

Danann stood up. "Yes Captain". She grabbed a PADD beside her chair and almost ran after him into the Ready Room, the doors closing behind her.
"Commander Danann" Jonathan said as he eyed her up from behind his desk. "Welcome aboard."
"Thank you, sir," she replied, politely. "It is a genuine pleasure to be here. I have heard great things about the Hyperion. Can't wait to get to grips with her." So far so good, she thought, this greeting was pretty by the book. "I've had the pleasure of meeting some of her crew already, though. I wish it was under better circumstances, of course. I look forward to getting to know the rest."
Jonathan nodded, then stood up and walked past the desk to face her "So you're my babysitter?"
" I , uh..." Niamh straightened her posture more than she already had. She remained mostly at attention.
This was new...
"If that's what you feel you need..." she replied, hoping she didn't sound judgemental. "I'm prepared to adapt to your command style. I hope to be the First Officer you need me to be." She winced a little at her own choice of words, but she stayed where she was and kept her mouth shut.
Jonathan chuckled "Not the one I deserve?" he asked curiously. Niamh snapped to "Yes, sir. Of course...I just-".
He laughed and returned to his seat. "Sorry, I like old movies. Sit down, Commander."
Niamh appeared to relax somewhat, though, inside she was as tense as ever. "Thank you, Captain," she said as she accepted the proffered seat. She rested a PADD on Rome's desk, her credentials. Her list of ships was extensive. In any other case, she would have appeared impossible to work with, but she hoped Rome had done his homework on her special role in Starfleet. "If I could ask a question, sir?"

He picked up the PADD and studied it before replying "Go ahead."

"The duration of my placement, sir. Do you know how long I'm to be stationed here?"
Jonathan lowered the PADD and narrowed his eyes. "Are you in a hurry to leave.... Commander?"
"No!", she replied sharply, her mistake obvious. She had so far successfully integrated herself into every ship she'd been assigned to, why the hell was this proving to be so difficult from the offset? "Not in the slightest. I'm just accustomed to knowing how long I'll be needed on any one ship. I assumed my position as a career XO had been outlined to you when my transfer was confirmed." She knew, as the words left her mouth that they weren't helping. She slumped a little then looked over at Rome, resigned. "This is going terribly. Can I just go out, come back in and we can try this again?"

He just grinned, then placed the PADD on the desk. "I'll be honest here, Commander. I don't know how long you'll be here. I just know that I did not request you, or any Ex-oh for that matter. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate having you here....I'm just wondering about Starfleet's motives". He looked up and saw that she was either clueless or a good actor. "I've read your personnel report, it's excellent. Someone who can easily 'get things ship-shape' as one of your former Captains told me over the comm last night. Captain Munroe, she thought, with a half smile. He did enjoy a good nautical expression. "That's just what we need...." Rome continued, "we have a state of the art ship, run by rookies," and a Captain out of practice he thought.
"I'm keen to get to grips with her, sir," Niamh replied, deliberately ignoring his comment about his own crew. Doubtless it was true, and a ship full of rookies was never going to be an easy task for a lone command officer to wrangle into shape, but any confirmation or denial of the fact on her part would have put him on the back foot. And she needed him to like her if her time here was to be at all successful. She knew she could be an acquired taste. "And I'm looking forward to working alongside you."
"Are you now?" he asked curiously. "Your credentials are good, your Commanding officers have nothing but praise for you... so I think we won't have a problem here either, Commander."
She let out an involuntary breath of relief. "I eh, bribe them to say nice things," she hazarded as she stood up, sensing she was about to be dismissed.
"Rum."
She paused, her hands still on the sides of the chair she had just vacated. She stared at him. Then a broad smile swept across her face as she straightened up. "White, dark or spiced, sir?"
"That's for you to find out, Commander" he said with a smile, then picked up a PADD and started reading."Your mission is approved, keep an open commlink at all times. First sign of trouble, you get back to the ship. No heroics."
"Yessir..." she nodded and straightened up. "I'll be back before you know it."
Jonathan nodded "Get him back"

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Thu May 08, 2014 8:11 pm

This is fun. It's fun watching my players come up with plans :)
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Thu May 08, 2014 9:11 pm

C. J. Short wrote:This is fun. It's fun watching my players come up with plans :)

Yesssss, taste it. Taste the power to crush those plans into dust!
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu May 08, 2014 9:24 pm

>:|

Commander

XO Lt Cmdr Niamh Danann SD 11405.12

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Fri May 16, 2014 1:34 pm

Niamh's little face constricted with fear, her freckled cheeks pale with the knowledge of what would happen next, and her palms slick with sweat as they clutched the small, precious object she had acquired.
"Niiii-ah!" the boy's voice called out, echoing around the vast darkness of the station's cargo hold. "Niii-aaaaah!". He pitched his mocking voice at a high level. She muffled a sob with the sleeve of her grubby tunic and stayed perfectly still, her green eyes wide and alert to every movement. "Playing Manhunt isn't fun if we never find you, you know..."
She shivered. She'd never asked to play, she hadn't wanted to. But the prospect of getting back to her mother with a powercell in hand had been too tempting. Her stomach grumbled gently. It had been too long since they last had power for a replicated meal, and all she could think of was the prospect of ice-cream.
That had been three hours ago, and still they hunted her.
"She's not in here, Dirk," the other boy complained. "Let's just leave it. This is getting boring."
"She's in here all right."
Niamh held her breath. She was perched precariously on a shelf unit near the ceiling of the hold.
"So? That cargo ship from the Branxi cluster will be here soon. I wanna see some pirates."
She watched in the darkness as Dirk turned to his friend and shrugged. "Fine. Let's end this."
Niamh relaxed a little, feeling a little safer now that all she had to do was get back to the outer ring of the station without anyone stopping her. That was when she noticed a shift in the atmosphere of the hold. Boxes all around her started to move gently in all directions. Her messy nest of long, red hair lifted off her skinny shoulders. Her bare shins stopped digging into the metallic mesh of the shelf, and she realised what Dirk had done.
"Now we'll find her," he laughed as he launched himself into the air, the gravity controls shut off.
Niamh panicked, grasped for the shelf as she began to lift, and missed, her fingertips grazing off it as she moved into sight. In seconds, Dirk had her around the ankle, his friend cheering as he spun in the gravity-free air, boxes, sacks, and loose gadgets floating all around them.
"No, no, please!" she whined, hanging on to the power cell as if it was life itself, as the two older boys loomed around her.
"We found you, Nia'..." Dirk sneered, one hand secure on a hand hold, the other tight around her ankle as she squirmed helplessly. "You know the penalty," and he swung her across the cargobay, watching her bounce painfully against the opposite wall, the powercell flying from her hands as she cried out...

---

Niamh had hoped such two-against-one odds were a thing of the past, but as she looked out of her viewscreen now, in the depths of the Arachnid Nebula, she saw she was mistaken. Four of Adria's scout ships were lined up before the Skyline and the Horizon. Two each, and all four of them bristling with forward-facing weaponry. "Contact!" she called out over the open comm, hoping that wasn't going to be her last word in this life.
Tell my mother I love her. Someone remember to feed my fish. Tell Tony I...
"Focus, Nia'..." she reminded herself as she leaned around, caught her Tactical companion's eyes and nodded. She commed the Horizon as she turned back. "Skyline to Horizon. Get back to the Hyperion, O'kar! Lock on targets and fire if necessary. We're doing this freestyle!"

Commander

Postby Einar S » Fri May 16, 2014 6:26 pm

Tony comes....after the fish?

Fantastic log Aoibhe :) Really love hearing more about Niamh's history
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Fri May 16, 2014 6:38 pm

Einar S wrote:Tony comes....after the fish?

She's known the fish for a lot longer than she's known Tony, in fairness...

Next

Return to U.S.S. Hyperion