Admiral Ian Blackthorne

Forum for the U.S.S. Atlantis, running every Wednesday at 2100 EST. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: Luceo

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: CO Vice Admiral Ian Blackthorne

Postby James Greenman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:37 pm

Ahhh, smashing log guys! I've not been around Zuriyev much, but I can tell this is a big moment - fantastically written.
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Lieutenant
As predicted in the Bible

Josie No Longer

Postby Luceo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:12 pm

Cadet Alexis Josephine Alexiovna Zuriyev was a squared-away academy senior with a bob of dark chocolate hair and eyes to match. Officially, her assignment on Atlantis was to satisfy the in-the-field portion of her final year at the Academy, but she had another motive for choosing this particular ship beyond her family's history with it. That motive would soon become apparent as she confidently approached the ready room door and rang the chime.

Vice Admiral Ian Blackthorne sat behind his desk attending to a never-ending stream of Third Fleet business. He had noticed Cadet Zuriyev's arrival for temporary duty near the end of their stay at Vinland, and had not been surprised when she had requested a meeting, nor was he surprised when she arrived five minutes early. "Come in," he answered, and couldn't help smiling when the girl he had known for what seemed like an eternity walked into his office, now a grown woman and almost a Starfleet Marine.

She approached his desk and proudly stood at attention. "Cadet Zuriyev, reporting as ordered, sir!" He could easily hear much of Brooke and not even a hint of Alexi in her English accent.

"At ease, Cadet." Ian clasped his hands in front of him on the desk and offered a welcoming smile. "Please, sit down." She obliged, and he continued, "I expected that I would see you sooner. Should I be offended, Josie?"

Her face erupted into a wide grin. "No, of course not! It's just that I didn't want anyone to think I expected special privilege, you know. And by the way..." She hesitated a bit before continuing, hating to have to say what came next, "No one really calls me Josie anymore. I suppose I've outgrown it, yeah?" Apologetically, she added, "Maybe someday I'd let a special someone in on that, but I'm called AJ now."

With a chuckle, he answered, "Alright, AJ it is, then. So long as you remember that when it's just us two in the room, I'm still your Uncle Ian. Oh, and thanks, by the way."

"For what?"

"Making me feel positively ancient." They shared a laugh, and then Ian leaned back in his seat and regarded her, sensing something amiss. "Now, I get that Atlantis was your dad's ship, and that you did a fair bit of growing up here yourself, and also that you might even think enough of me to want to do your field duty here. At least I hope the part about me is true, and I know the other two are. At any rate, why are you really here, AJ?"

"Can't hide anything from you, can I? But yeah, it's Dad. I'm not certain retiring was the right thing for him to do. He's just so… bored now." She shook her head and frowned. "That's not all of it, though. Dad's just not himself anymore; he's withdrawn and sullen."

He didn't need to be empathic to know that she was holding something back, but it helped, since Ian could certainly sense that there was more to this story. "I can believe that, but it doesn't really seem to warrant you going to all this trouble to arrange a face-to-face with me."

She let out a long sigh, unsurprised that he was able to see through her so quickly. Still, this was the real reason she was here, the sentimentality notwithstanding, so AJ decided to get to it. "Ian… she can't prove it, but Mum isn't even sure that it was his choice. She can explain her hunch better than I can, but I don't think she would actually seek you, or anyone, out about it on her own. At least, not yet. So, here I am."

Ian had never known neither Brooke nor her daughter to be alarmist or paranoid, and what he could sense from Zuriyev was genuine concern for her father. AJ was only one-quarter Betazoid, and while she may have been capable of more complex shielding of her true feelings, he believed her motives to be pure. However, he couldn't expect the Cadet to truly understand the implications of what she had told him. "That's pretty significant, AJ. Did Brooke tell you this?"

"No, I overheard her and Dad talking. She was prying for more information to support her theory, but his responses were just odd. There were things it seemed like he should have known, but didn't, and even though my empathic abilities aren't strong, I could sense that he really didn't know and wasn't just hiding it from her." She searched his eyes for any sign of a decision, before continuing in a more pleading tone, "You're all flag officers, and I'm just a cadet, so maybe I don't know just how serious this is, but Mum clearly does. Please, talk to her."

Ian looked away for a moment, and his gaze fell on the wedding portrait of him and T'Kirr that sat on his desk; Alexi had performed the ceremony. It was one of a million reasons that he owed it to his friend and former boss to at least look into this matter. "Alright, I can't make any promises, but I will at least give her a call."
"Come let us sail the boundless sea..."

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:15 pm

Intrigue! Mystery! I hope we get to listen in on this call to Brooke.

Really great read. :)

Lieutenant
Banned

Character Name: Alexis Wright

Postby Holly Kolodziejczak » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:36 pm

Dun-dun-DUNNNNN!! Intrigue! Suspense! A man's sense of self hangs in the balance!

Next installment plz :f5:

Edit to add: I wrote my post before I really read Jamesy's post, so... great minds think alike?
CSO Lt Commander Alexis Wright, U.S.S. Atlantis

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:42 pm

Holly Kolodziejczak wrote:Dun-dun-DUNNNNN!! Intrigue! Suspense! A man's sense of self hangs in the balance!

Edit to add: I wrote my post before I really read Jamesy's post, so... great minds think alike?

Copycat :colbert:

Lieutenant
Banned

Character Name: Alexis Wright

Postby Holly Kolodziejczak » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:44 pm

James Greenman wrote:
Holly Kolodziejczak wrote:Dun-dun-DUNNNNN!! Intrigue! Suspense! A man's sense of self hangs in the balance!

Copycat :colbert:

!!!!!!!!! Senpai noticed me!!! :$ :allears:
CSO Lt Commander Alexis Wright, U.S.S. Atlantis

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:46 pm

Holly Kolodziejczak wrote:!!!!!!!!! Senpai noticed me!!! :$ :allears:

:coolbert:

Lieutenant

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:02 am

I swear, I look away for three minutes and this happens. Why must you do this? I don't like cliffies, they're evil.
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Lieutenant

Postby Luceo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:18 am

Vanessa Brinkman wrote:I swear, I look away for three minutes and this happens. Why must you do this? I don't like cliffies, they're evil.

Is it a cliffie, or just another piece of the ongoing story? :D

Thanks y'all. :cheers:

Lieutenant

All In

Postby Luceo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:56 am

FROM THE DESK OF VICE ADMIRAL IAN BLACKTHORNE
COMMANDER, THIRD FLEET, EMBARKED ON USS ATLANTIS

To All Starfleet Officers,

By now, it is likely that news has reached many of you that I am not actually dead. I, along with my wife and executive officer, Captain T’Kirr, were believed to have been killed in a shuttlecraft explosion, but were instead transported to a nearby cloaked ship. Over the next month, we were held against our will while the contents of our minds were forcibly examined through telepathy. We were finally exiled without any technology to a wilderness on the other side of a planet from an off-limits pre-technological civilization and left to survive with only monthly supply drops to sustain us. It should be noted that this exile was granted in lieu of execution, ostensibly as a reward for our service to the Federation.

This crime against two highly-decorated Starfleet officers was committed by an organization known as Section 31. For most, knowledge of the existence of Section 31 will be a sudden confirmation of what had only been spoken of before in whispered rumors. However, it is my displeasure to not only confirm the existence of Section 31, but to inform you that they are in control of a large section of Starfleet Command, as well as the Federation government itself. Key figures that would stand in their way, such as former President Aennik Okeg and Admiral A. C. Zuriyev, were removed along with me through various illegal methods. These are not the actions of a government accountable to the public, but are instead cowardly strikes from the shadows intended to quietly remove all dissent.

Section 31 as an organization is guided by the belief that the Federation should come first, which in itself isn’t terribly objectionable. However, they are willing to stop at absolutely nothing to achieve this end, which is where the ideological break happens. Any moral government must have boundaries that they will not cross in pursuit of their own benefit, and this creed alone would be enough to keep Section 31 from power. Unfortunately, they already have gained such power, and it is the duty of Starfleet to ensure that they are not allowed to keep it.

As an example of this reprehensible philosophy, while I was detained, Atlantis was ordered to stop a fleet of Romulan Republic refugees from crossing into Federation space by any means necessary. These Romulans were fleeing an Imperial government that had attempted genocide upon them with biological weaponry. Asking them to return where they came from was not an option, nor was firing upon them, which were the unspoken orders given—by any means necessary. Captain Kathryn Harper chose to negotiate the historic treaty with the Republic that was publically lauded by the Federation, but privately, she was punished for not destroying the helpless Romulans during their moment of weakness.

Every single Starfleet officer should, at this point, question why they ever put on the uniform in the first place. Was it to join an organization that orders its ship Captains to fire on innocent unarmed refugees and punishes them for negotiating peace treaties? If it was, instead, in service to the ideals of the Federation, such as universal liberty, equality, sharing of knowledge, exploration, scientific development, and peaceful cooperation, then that officer has a duty to defy Section 31. Without these values, the uniform and career have no meaning, and it is in pursuit of a return to these values that I ask your help in bringing down Section 31.

Attached, you will find evidence from Section 31’s own computers to support my claims. More will be forthcoming as I gather it, but in the meantime, there are many things that need to be done to help this cause, a list of which I will also attach. In the meantime, view any orders you receive from Starfleet Command through the lens of those ideals, and disobey any that are morally reprehensible, as has always been your duty. We can overcome this, together, and take back the Federation.

Vice Admiral Ian Blackthorne
CO, C3F, USS Atlantis, NCC-1021-D

Ian signed off on the missive with a simple tap, which seemed to echo in the ready room. With a sharp exhale of breath, he then sent it for immediate distribution, first to his own Third Fleet, and then to the whole of Starfleet. It would be encrypted and the originating location masked, but it was still certainly a gamble since his status along with Atlantis’s would no longer be unknown to HQ. Each ship would be free to select their path, and he could only hope that they would choose the right one, but trusted that many would.

Another blinking message caught Ian’s eye now that he had finished composing one that could potentially change history. Opening it, he found it was from T’Kirr, a simple message from his wife wishing him a happy birthday and inviting him to spend an evening in the holodeck with her. With the weight of this on his shoulders, Ian had forgotten the date, and he smirked. “Well, I’ll be damned,” he said as he rose from the desk. Crossing to the bar to pour himself a drink, he mused that perhaps he would be.

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Atlantis