MED Ensign Tyler Slade

This is a Forum-Only Station. Do you have an inactive character that you want to write about? Is your character being transferred somewhere else, or fresh out of the Academy? This is where you write logs or start something creative with your fellow players either on Spacedock, orbiting Earth, or elsewhere in the STE universe.

Moderator: James Greenman

Cadet

MED Ensign Tyler Slade

Postby Tyler Slade » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:42 am

Assistant Medical Officers initial log. My first assignment upon arrival to the USS Atlantis is to take shore leave. While taking in the sites I was introduced to my CMO in the most unconventional manner. Now while settling in I must find a way to become comfortable with my new found crew that are already so close and comfortable with each other. I am sure that I can succeed especially with the help of post shore leave physicals. It cannot be any worse that my first day at Starfleet medical. I think that this is going to be a promising first assignment, and I can only imagine what the future and the vast galaxy has in store for myself and my crew.

Lieutenant
As predicted in the Bible

Re: First Log

Postby Luceo » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:43 pm

Unconventional is a good word to describe that meeting. Well done! :)
"Come let us sail the boundless sea..."

Cadet

Life in my hands

Postby Tyler Slade » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:43 pm

It was my first day of surgical rotation at Star Fleet Medical, and I could not have been any more excited. I started the day taking another look through an available operating room. Memorizing the placement of all of the tools and their functions. Standing over the empty bio bed, imagining what the first procedure I was going to perform, and I hear the woosh of the bay doors opening.
" Well Dr. Slade, I see you are making yourself comfortable."
I spun around and the apparent shock must have been painted all over my face as Admiral Beverly St.Claire Head of Star Fleet medical stood before me.
I stammered " Admiral I am sorry I didn't know anyone else was here" as I stood frozen in my place rigidly at attention.
" Please Dr. Slade as you were, I will never reprimand a practitioner on familiarizing themselves with their procedure area and equipment." Admiral St.Claire said as she continued to walk towards me.
" So Doctor Slade what is your procedure that you are preparing for?" She asked.
Feeling slightly embarassed " I dont have a procedure scheduled yet ma'am, but it is my first day of surgical rotation so I wanted to be well versed in my surroundings." I said confident in my response. She cracked a half smile and gave me a quick quiz of the equipment that I would use during a procedure, and after answering all of the questions correctly she looked me straight in my eyes.
" How confident are you with cardiac procedures? " She asked. " Very Confident, the circulatory system fascinates me" I answered with an inquisitive look.
" What procedure did you say that you have scheduled today?" She asked. " I don't admiral I am still waiting for my first scheduled procedure" I replied. She smiled and then studied me for another brief moment before changing her facial expression from a teacher to what I liked to call " Admiral face " and said
" Well now you do, be back here in this operating room and 1100 hours. You and I will be replacing the aorta of a man that has had his tissue regenerated 4 times now and still has aortic aneurysms. Do you feel like you can assist me?"
I was completely taken by surprise " Yes Admiral It would be an honor and a privilege" I replied probably sounding far to excited.
" Well Dr. Slade we shall see if you are as good as your professors think you are." she said with a wink and then turned and walked from the operating room.
" thank you ma'am I will not let you down" I called after her as she walked away.

I returned to the Operating room at 1030 hours so that I would not be late, only to find that the entire observation deck is full with on lookers including my entire Star Fleet Med Class. As I walked into the prep area I was greeted by three nurses one led me to the sonic sterilizer, which I stood in for scrubbing. The second nurse wrapped me in an anti microbial gown and the third and final nurse covered my hands in sterile tactile enhancing surgical gloves. After all of the preparing I was led into the operating room where I met with Admiral St.Claire and she gave me a run down of how the procedure was going to take place step by step. As we stepped up to the surgical position at the bio bed I took the place next to the Admiral as her secondary.
She looked at me and asked " Dr. Slade what are you doing?"
I was confused " I am awaiting the patient and your instructions admiral" I answered.
" It will be difficult for you complete this procedure if you are standing there, please take left primary position on the opposite side of the bio bed."
I did as I was instructed, my pulse racing that I was taking a primary surgical position on my first procedure second to the head of Star Fleet Medical. The patient was brought in and the procedure began. Being that We had so many on lookers Admiral St.Claire was explaining every single step of the procedure as it was completed including giving me credit when I would perform a part
" Dr. Slade is placing the laser suture to both the distal and proximal edges of the aortic replacement."
The procedure went perfectly, and could even have been described, at the time, as text book. Come to find out a year later it was text book and Admiral St.Claire insured that my name was attached right next to hers on how to replace a chronic failing aorta. If I wasn't sure before then that procedure of literally having that man's life in my hands and being able to return it to him made it clear to me that I was going to be a great Doctor because I wanted to save lives.
Last edited by Tyler Slade on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lieutenant

Re: MED Cadet Tyler Slade

Postby Luceo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:17 am

Tyler,

It looks like a good effort, but I really need paragraphs to be sure. In that massive block, it's pretty hard to read and follow. I look forward to an edit so I can really get into it!

Cadet

Postby Tyler Slade » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:18 pm

Depending on if I get out of here early, on time, or late I may miss tonight. I have been called into an 11a-11p shift at the Emergency Room. I will do my best to make it work and at the very least sign in to say hello. I did however edit my log post, I hope that makes it better.

Lieutenant

Postby Luceo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:28 pm

Thanks for the notice!

The edit already makes it a hundred times more readable, thank you! If possible, can you block format it, with a blank line between paragraphs as well? That makes it ideal for web readability.

Cadet

Postby Tyler Slade » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:50 pm

Greetings all and good day from the Emergency Dept. I have unfortunately been called in to work from 3pm- 1 am EST. I hope that every has a fantastic SIM and I will try to pop into the lounge to say hello. Good hunting and Make it SO!!!!!

Cadet

Postby Tyler Slade » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Today marks the the end of an era. Today we say goodbye to a true legend, a science officer, a commander, an ambassador, and a hero. Mr. Spock has commanded the Enterprise, and been on countless away missions. He will live on forever in our memories and our hearts. " He is and shall always be our friend" Thank you Mr. Spock for always reminding us of logic, Live long and Prosper.

Cadet

Re: MED Ens Tyler Slade

Postby Tyler Slade » Sun May 31, 2015 7:08 pm

NEVER STOP

The annoying sound would not stop so I opened my eyes and turned the alarm clock off. An 11 year old should not have to wake up at 5 am in the 24th century to do chores on a farm, but my parents wanted to remain traditional.

I made my way down stairs for breakfast and saw that my parents were not in the kitchen. “ Hmm I guess they had to run to town for some feed or seed,” I said to myself before going out to start my chores.

After making sure all of the cows were fed and the stable stalls were cleaned out I went back to the house to wash up.

“ Mom, Pop how was town?” I called out to them with no answer. I checked the garage and saw the truck so they had to be back. I made my way upstairs and knocked on their door.

“ Mom, Pop are yall in here” The door swung open and they were both lying in bed. The room smelled of sweat and a stench I had never come in contact before. I ran to the bed and attempted to wake them. They both were burning up, soaking wet, and would not wake up to my attempts.

It only to the medical transport about 15 minutes to reach our farm. Being how far we lived from the nearest hospital it was quite impressive. I did not think I could get anymore worried until it happened that the Medic requested that my parents be beamed directly to the hospital under isolation.

They refused to allow me to accompany my parents so I had to contact my neighbor to give me a lift into town. We reached the hospital and after identifying myself they started to rush me into a room where I was told I could not leave.

A team of medical personnel in full HazMat suites entered and began removing my clothes and connecting me to monitors. “ What is going on??” I asked in protest.

“ Mr. Slade your parents are very ill and it seems that what they have is very contagious we need to…..” I interrupted the doctor “ First off doctor, Mr. Slade is in that room with my mother, you can call me Tyler, and I don’t want to hear anything more except what is wrong with my parents?”

The doctor insisted that they complete a full medical examination and testing before I was allowed to see my parents, and even then it was through a window.

After two days of isolation I was released and told that I had somehow not caught anything from my parents. I was also told that I was allowed to go in and see my parents as long as I remained in the completely concealed hazmat suit. It took them a bit of time to find one that would fit an 11yr old.

After suiting up I was told that my mother had regained consciousness but my father was on a respirator.

I entered the room and saw that there were three beds, which had me confused. One was my mother one was my father and the third I didn’t know. So I looked towards the nurse and asked “ Who is in the third bed?” She looked at me and responded “ That is the Medical responder that came to your house when you called.” I looked and saw he was on a respirator as well. “ He caught it from them but I didn’t?”

The nurse touched my shoulder looked me in the eye and said “ It is very contagious and it reacts to males much quicker and much worse. Now you should take this time to say your goodbyes they don’t have much longer. “

I walked to the space in between my parents beds and grabbed both of their hands. Tears began to stream down my face. My mother turned her head to look at me and smiled. Her face was gray and her eyes were black. She told me to never stop and then she closed her eyes.

The nurse told me they did not have much time, but I had to watched from a window or their bedside as a week passed by and regardless of the medical attempts to treat them even the testing on me to find out why I was immune. Nothing worked!

As the saying goes “ On the seventh day they rested” With in 30 seconds of each other Alan and Jasmine Slade took their last breaths and their hearts stopped while I had a firm grasp of each of their hands.

I had not recounted all of the final days of my parents lives, and I did not intend on having to relive them again. I had no choice as the man before me who was not only my Chief Medical Officer but my friend was having to bare the pain that I had felt so many years before. Joran Tav a joined trill who had been across the galaxy for more than a century was now experiencing the worst thing anyone should every have to.

In my short human life I could not imagine that I could feel as he was but I only had my experience to share. I chose to remember and to show him that life can go on and that it should. I had to stay true to my mother’s dieing words. I had never and would NEVER STOP.

Lieutenant

Postby Luceo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:02 am

Bravo!

Definitely a good insight into Tyler's History that really ties in well to the present. A bit of polish would help, but overall a nice effort!

Return to Spacedock