Commodore T'Kirr

Forum for the U.S.S. Atlantis, running every Wednesday at 2100 EST. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: Luceo

Ensign

Character Name: LCdr Kuari

Commodore T'Kirr

Postby Liz White » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:09 am

TABLE OF CONTENTS - Newest First

Klingon Opera "Wurath'ja Thihnek" - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=169&start=10#p7058
NEW! 4/19/2017

"A New Home" - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=169&start=10#p6512

"Bondmate's Intuition" - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=169#p5461

"Confluence" - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=169#p3705

"Munitions" - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=169#p3241

"Doing Science" - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=169#p1553

"An Illogical Moment" - http://atlantis.orbitalsunrise.net/?p=1665
Last edited by Liz White on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lieutenant Commander Kuari
XO of USS Atlantis

Ensign

Doing Science

Postby Liz White » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:00 am

The Science station’s main console felt like home to T’Kirr. While as an officer she had been given basic training to use interfaces of all departments, and as the Executive Officer she had been further versed in all Bridge stations and vital systems, she had spent years as the Chief Science Officer of the USS Atlantis. It was as familiar to her as the off-center command seat, but in her mind, much more efficient.

T’Kirr came alongside Lieutenant Wright easily, having long ago done away with any ideas of invasion of territory. If Wright were Vulcan, T’Kirr wouldn’t have thought anything of situating herself behind Science without it being necessary, which she did often soon after she had been promoted to XO. It was one thing in an emergency situation for a superior to assist at a console to save the ship, but T’Kirr often times had done it in her idle time on slow days, having nothing better to do after going through reports. No, early on T’Kirr had made it clear to Lieutenant Wright that it was Wright’s station, and T’Kirr’s presence by no means meant Wright wasn’t doing her job. She disliked admitting it, but T’Kirr just couldn’t let Science go.

The task at hand intrigued her. Creating a subspace bubble in denser-than-normal space was more than an everyday challenge, yes, but it was the creation of a convection current and how it’s dynamic properties would affect the bubble that raised questions in her mind. There were a lot of equations to factor in, and she couldn’t keep it all in her head. She needed her hands on Science.

As Wright took a step to allow T’Kirr room, Wright continued her work without hesitation while T’Kirr studied what she had been doing on her side with spatial density and velocity. It only took a moment to pick up where Wright had left off. The Lieutenant had settled into her role as CSO quite well after her, T’Kirr thought, and with a capable science officer at her side, she was sure they would soon be successful in implementing their plan to raise the mining station.
XO of USS Atlantis

Ensign

"Munitions"

Postby Liz White » Thu May 28, 2015 1:57 am

It wasn’t a part of space that had a lot in the way of supplies. Cargo ships routed too far for long range communications, and Atlantis had already tapped the meager cache from the colony. They weren’t going to be of much use without quantum torpedoes, and Blackthorne had given permission to get them in any way possible. They needed them now.

With limited options, T’Kirr began contacting every listing in the database at a manageable distance. Most never responded, and several said they could do business tomorrow or later. One offered her something called a bleubah she was quite sure was not compatible with Atlantis, and another demanded more tritanium than they had aboard. T’Kirr tried to reason with the lone Tellarite by offering other goods in addition to the tritanium or further compensation from the Federation later, but the stubborn alien didn’t want anything else and apparently trusted the Federation as much as he did Vulcans (which clearly wasn’t very much).

There wasn’t much choice but to take Atlantis towards the shipping lanes and hope for the best. While repairs continued aboard, the slipstream-fitted Sovereign made it to their destination in short order, and Lieutenant Wright broadcast their request. A trader having already passed by responded, and with a deal made that would lose Atlantis seventy-five percent of their deuterium stores, they would be up sixty-two quantum torpedoes. Oh, and the trader would not turn around.

As Atlantis warped towards the trader, T’Kirr informed Engineering to prepare the deuterium for transport and hoped the Human trader wouldn’t change his mind.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: XO Commander T'Kirr

Postby James Greenman » Thu May 28, 2015 1:30 pm

Absolutely fantastic stuff! I need to make time to join you guys more often.
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Ensign

Confluence

Postby Liz White » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:12 am

by T'Kirr and Ian Blackthorne

Risa was known in this corner of the galaxy as a world of paradise, a place to relax and in the case of a starship’s crew, recuperate after a long mission through space. As Ian Blackthorne and T’Kirr entered the luxury suite of their hotel, they were welcomed in detail by a space intended to provide just that.

The living area was a canvas of sand color accented richly in light blue tones of the sea. Paintings as well as the surface decor were unobtrusive but thought-provoking if studied further. An abundance of plush carpets and seating were everywhere, meant to envelop their guests in comfort. Topping it all was the wall-to-wall view of the ocean, its panels sliding out four doors wide to better immerse its inhabitants in Risa’s near-perfect weather.

None of this was much appreciated at first by its latest guests, however. Difficult battles had claimed many lives in their charge, and the captain and first officer of the USS Atlantis were physically and emotionally drained. Ian placed their bags onto the couch and looked around, taking in the suite's superficial details. "Not bad."

T’Kirr stopped at the windows and gazed out at the ocean, her eyes drawn to the gentle surf. It was an image she had grown accustomed to only on shore leave. “It is quite suitable to our needs.”

"Yes. Well, probably. Whatever those even are right now, aside from the basics."

T’Kirr gazed down Ian’s stiff yet weary posture. There was no need to “get settled” before moving on. If anything, it was exactly what he needed to start his leave from duty. She herself was certainly ready for some much needed meditation. “Shall we change into something more comfortable?”

"Yes, let's." He already knew that her intent was to meditate, but under normal circumstances, he would have likely taken the obvious route of an innuendo-laced reply. Now, Ian knew that he needed the meditation more than anything else.

Going to her bag, T’Kirr pulled out a silky dark brown and slightly reddish bundle. It was her favorite traditional meditation robe, loose-fitting and comfortable. Taking her bag into the bedroom, she mechanically changed into the garment, efficiently and orderly. While she was at it, she put her clothes neatly into the drawer and stowed her bag, finding the activity helped to clear her mind and provide fewer distractions. Ian followed suit, donning the robe that had been a gift from her just for this purpose and stowing the rest of his clothes.

Moving back out to the living area, T’Kirr took another contemplative look out to sea. The hotel was situated at the tip of a small peninsula, and their room faced west. One of the suns was setting, a fiery ball in the clear open blue sky. The windows were tinted for the purpose of filtering out its harshest rays without blocking too much light. She closed her eyes. Yes, she could use this to their advantage.

There was a couch and small table facing the view, but T’Kirr was eyeing the open space between the table and the windows. Ian came out from the bedroom, adjusting the robe he didn’t often use, and she turned her head towards him. “Would you find the sound of the ocean relaxing?”

"As much as anything could be, I think." He opened one of the sliding doors onto the wide balcony and took a deep breath of sea air. "Yes, I think that'd be nice."

T’Kirr slid open the other door, and together they opened up the way fully. She then settled herself with her back to the table, squinting up at Ian in the now fully-exposed sunlight. “Sit here, next to me, facing the sea.”

Ian obliged with a long exhale. Settling down to meditate did not come naturally for the overly-emotional Betazoid, but it had helped him in the past, so he tried to begin to calm himself.

Closing her eyes against the setting sun, T’Kirr drew in a deep, slow breath. “We’ll use the sun as our focus. It’s low enough that it shouldn’t be overwhelming even with your eyes. Do you remember what you did before to begin?”

"Yes, I believe so." Ian began to slow his breathing and focus on the setting sun as he closed his eyes. Over their bond, her calming influence was already apparent.

“Tell me what you’re doing.”

"I can still see the after-image of the sun and its light penetrates my eyelids. I'm focusing on that, and the sound of the waves, as I try to clear my mind."

“I can tell you remember how to breathe. Let everything but the light fall away. It will still be there later. Only when your mind is clear can you pick up what you want, and therefore you can focus on that one thing in clarity.” T’Kirr sensed Ian’s efforts in the right direction and turned her focus to herself, letting go of the strain of the past few days as her muscles relaxed. Each released breath measured progress towards her own, familiar meditative state.

It was certainly not as easy for Ian to reach such a mental state as it was for his Vulcan wife, as he lacked her years of mental disciplinary practice, but his mind eventually started to calm itself. As she had suggested, he let the sun's lingering light fall away from his sight until he looked inward. T'Kirr's thoughts met his own like a confluence of two rivers, his the more turbulent.

Telepathy was a simpler thing in meditation--at least, sensing thoughts from Ian was. T’Kirr didn’t have the ability to project as he did, but with their bond and his Betazoid physiology, he could easily read her. In a relaxed state, she had fewer distractions to filter through so it wasn’t as noisy, but those thoughts that did come through were clear and vibrant. They had learned that very little effort was needed to communicate this way and it was better to “whisper”, which only helped them to relax further.

T’Kirr could tell that Ian’s mind was struggling for clarity through his emotions. “You’ve let go of the light too quickly and your focus is on your emotions,” she spoke very quietly. “Use the more neutral way you feel about the light to overcome the others.” In her mind, she used her own feeling of loss of their crewmates as an example and let him sense her pattern of thought, perceiving the pure constant of the sun’s light, breathing out and relaxing, letting the stress drop away and repeating.

Even with his gaze turned inward, the light filtered through, though it was more a metaphysical representation of it than actual light at this point. Ian followed her guidance and let himself drift in it, his perception of its warm glow soothing his mind.

Time in a trance was therapeutic. T’Kirr was unaware of how much time had passed, but when she opened her eyes, the sun had set. Only the shine of moonlight on the sea and the gentle roar of the surf remained. As she looked to Ian’s softly-lit face, he opened his eyes as well. “How do you feel?”

Her voice and the sound of the ocean returned his awareness of reality. After a few moments of introspection, he answered, "Peaceful."

T’Kirr offered Ian a contented expression, perhaps the Vulcan equivalent of a smile, as one more of her worries faded away. “Me, too.”

In a quiet, calm voice he simply offered, "Thank you, love."
XO of USS Atlantis

Lieutenant
Banned

Character Name: Alexis Wright

Postby Holly Kolodziejczak » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:42 am

Very nice... made me want to meditate. :D

(I'm horrible at meditating.)
CSO Lt Commander Alexis Wright, U.S.S. Atlantis

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:25 pm

Absolutely fantastic logs, I love seeing T'Kirr and Ian do couple-y things. :3
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Ensign

Bondmate's Intuition

Postby Liz White » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:42 pm

by T'Kirr and Ian Blackthorne

The San Francisco Bay's incessant wind tossed Brooke Zuriyev''s dark locks about her face as she looked up from her cup of coffee to see her friends approaching, exactly on time. They were dressed in civilian attire as she had requested of them, and as she was herself, shielded from the wind by a tan trenchcoat. She rose from her seat at the tiny bayside cafe to greet them, offering a tight but grateful smile.

“I can’t thank you guys enough for coming. I know it was inconvenient.”

Ian Blackthorne offered a half-smile as he answered, "Well, you were so cryptic over the comm, and your daughter was so insistent that we speak, that we had little choice but to show up in person."

Brooke wrung her hands a moment before hurrying back to the table and showing them to sit. “Yes, well, believe it or not, that was her own doing. I haven’t quite decided yet whether or not I’m happy that she did,” came her wry admission as she lowered herself stiffly into her own chair.

"I can see a lot of both of her parents in AJ — oh, and it still feels weird calling her that, by the way," Ian began in an attempt to ease her worry. "If it was the right thing to do to get herself temporarily assigned to Atlantis just to convince me to be here, then that's exactly what she was going to do."

In response, Brooke nodded to herself, biting at her lip nervously. T’Kirr, having been quiet up until now, said in a calm voice, “Just tell us what’s bothering you, Brooke. We will listen.” Brooke gazed back at her a moment, finally nodding and taking a deep breath.

“Okay, well I don’t know anything for sure. And, really,” Brooke paused, raising her hands apologetically, “I can’t tell you how many times I’ve told myself that it’s all just in my head, but I can’t help feeling like there’s something not right.” She glanced around before looking them both in the eye and saying in a hushed voice, “Alexi told me the same as you that he wanted to retire, but I don’t think it was his decision.”

"Not his decision? What do you mean?" Ian couldn't imagine the Alexi Zuriyev he knew letting someone else dictate the course of his career. With a slight smirk, he remembered that there was one person that could do such a thing, and she was sitting right in front of him. That couldn’t be right, though, since Brooke's manner in their last meeting made it clear that she was against his retiring.

Ian's eyebrows slowly raised as he realized what she was saying, then narrowed as he leaned in to answer, joining her in her conspiratorial tone, "Are you saying that he was coerced or forced into retirement?"

Brooke’s eyes slipped closed as she nodded over a shuddering breath, hearing the words from Blackthorne confirmation that it was no longer just her that now knew of her suspicions. “That’s what I’m saying. Like I said, I don’t have any proof, but ever since he ‘decided’ to retire, he’s just been...different. Moody, sullen and withdrawn.” She furrowed her brow, looking to Ian. “Like how he gets when backed into a corner, you know?”

"Oh yes, I've seen that before, but it could just be depression caused by actually retiring." Ian did not need his empathic skills to tell that Brooke had not summoned them all this way based on Alexi's mood. "I can tell that you have more, though."

“Can’t fool you, can I, Ian?” Brooke replied with a smirk, but it quickly faded. “I’m used to listening to his thoughts, with our bond and everything. He’s always thinking, and I’m used to the patterns, when he’s alert, when he’s sleepy, or...other things. You two know what I’m talking about.” She offered them a pained expression and tapped vaguely at her temple. “Since he decided to retire though, there are sometimes thoughts that just seem...wrong, out of place. I don’t know.”

Ian shared a look with T'Kirr, understanding fully the gravity of the familiarity of a bondmate's thoughts being interrupted. He could sense no deception from Brooke, only sincerity, concern, and a tinge of fear as he faced her to speak, his voice quiet but firm. "Alright, who do you think did this?"

“I don’t know.” Brooke clenched her fists and curled her lip. “I know that’s not helpful, but I really have no idea. I wish I did, for his sake.”

"If what you say is true, I wouldn't even know where to begin digging to do something about it; Alexi would have been my first stop. The integrity of Starfleet Command could be completely compromised." He leaned in closer to the center of the table. "No one would be trustworthy."

Brooke’s eyes were downcast. “I know. The very idea of it is overwhelming, and Alexi certainly can’t help me. I didn’t know who else to turn to. I was hoping you would have an idea.”

Ian let out a long sigh. "I might. I don't know; I'll really need to carefully consider what to do and who I can talk to, if this has any chance of being true." He offered a reassuring look directly into her eyes and continued, "But I will, Brooke, I promise you. I owe it to you both."

The effect of his words were immediate, and Brooke let out a shaky sigh of relief. She reached for his hand and clasped it tightly, then looked to T’Kirr to include her, too, even though Brooke knew the Vulcan wouldn’t offer her own hand. “Thank you, both. I know I must sound crazy, but I just know something is going on. I of course think of Alexi, but it could just be a tiny piece of a much larger, ugly puzzle. I’m terrified to think what it could mean.”

Ian gave her hand a comforting squeeze and offered, "So am I, Brooke, so am I."
XO of USS Atlantis

Lieutenant
Banned

Character Name: Alexis Wright

Re: XO Captain T'Kirr

Postby Holly Kolodziejczak » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:08 am

:f5: Next part, next part, can't stand the suspense! :f5:

Brooke's shuddering breaths and Blackthorne's expressive brows really painted a picture for me.

I'll admit to not understanding the bondmate thing, though. Are Alexi and Brooke not human? :: rummages briefly for their character sheets and comes up empty :: :iiam:
CSO Lt Commander Alexis Wright, U.S.S. Atlantis

Lieutenant
As predicted in the Bible

Re: XO Captain T'Kirr

Postby Luceo » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:43 am

Alexi's half-Betazoid, so his bond with Brooke gives her some sense of his mind.
"Come let us sail the boundless sea..."

Next

Return to U.S.S. Atlantis