CSO Lt. Commander Alexis Wright

Forum for the U.S.S. Atlantis, running every Wednesday at 2100 EST. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: Luceo

Lieutenant
Banned

Character Name: Alexis Wright

A Lull in the Battle

Postby Holly Kolodziejczak » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:45 am

Alexis gave a small wave to Kate's back as she entered the turbolift, and kept gazing in that direction for a few long moments even after the doors had closed and she was long gone. Alexis shook herself and turned back to her console, deliberately forgetting the words that Kate had spoken and focusing on doing her job.

After arriving at Mizar, she engaged in a brief flurry of communications activity - coordinating re-arming and such - before she was finally relieved of duty. She went down to the lounge, knowing she needed to eat, but ended up shoveling the food into her mouth rather mechanically and without pleasure. She finished quickly and made her way to her quarters, peeling off her uniform and tossing it into a pile on the floor while she numbly took a quick shower, slaking the dried sweat from her skin. She focused on keeping her mind blank as she scrubbed herself down, toweled off, and padded around her quarters naked while she brushed her hair and got ready for bed.

Finally, when there was nothing left to do, Alexis crawled between her cool sheets and lay her head down on the pillow.

"Computer. Lights."

And once the lights were out, she couldn't hold back her thoughts anymore.

There was a catch in her breath, then another... and then Alexis began to sob. Hours upon hours of suppressed fear and anxiety came crashing down on her like a wave that she was sure she would drown in. She cried for what felt like hours, muffling the sound and catching the tears with her pillow, crying so hard that she shook and gasped for breath. How close had she come to dying today? More importantly, how much closer had she come to losing her best and only friend? When she saw Kate on the Bridge, she had wanted to jump up and hug her, just to make sure she was real and alive and okay. A part of her still wanted to, though she knew her friend would be taking some much-deserved rest. She chided herself for being so selfishly glad that Kate was okay that she had forgotten that some of the other pilots had not been so lucky. Even checking on T'Lira had been an afterthought. What was wrong with her?

And after that, after all of that, this was just a brief respite in the battle... they were going to go back out there in a few short hours and they were going to do it all again. How could she do this again? Was it even possible? She didn't know how she would manage.

She cried until she could cry no more, and then fell asleep on her tear-stained pillow, utterly spent.
CSO Lt Commander Alexis Wright, U.S.S. Atlantis

Lieutenant
As predicted in the Bible

Re: A Lull in the Battle

Postby Luceo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:03 am

Brilliant. It's often given as advice to writers to put your characters in terrible situations and see how they react, and that goes for running RPGs as well. Seeing someone just break down and cry is about as realistic as a reaction as I can imagine to such trauma. Well done!
"Come let us sail the boundless sea..."

Lieutenant

Re: CSO Lieutenant Alexis Wright

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:22 pm

I'm fairly certain I did not get my permission slip signed for this feels trip. Because this is... wow.
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:23 am

Well, damn. Right in the feels...

One hell of a log!
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Lieutenant
Banned

Hooked on a Feeling

Postby Holly Kolodziejczak » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:52 pm

The next morning found Alexis in her stateroom, dashing off quick letters to her brothers and her father, letting them know she was alright and looked forward to seeing them all soon, though she meant it for certain values of alright and varying degrees of wanting to see them soon. To her brother Bryan, she wrote a bit more, explaining that she'd become close with another officer, Commander Kathryn Harper, and would be going to Risa to meet Kate's family, among other things.

"I'm excited and nervous," she wrote, "social situations like this are not really my area of expertise, but I really want them to like me. I just hope I make a good impression and I don't end up being embarrassing to Kate."

She paused and thought for a moment before continuing.

"The battle was something I hope I never experience again, but for Kate it had to have been so much harder - she was out there in the thick of it in a Mustang, and she lost so many ships and pilots... I just hope I can be of some help in her recovery from this. I'm in uncharted space here, Bryan." She chewed on her lower lip in thought. "I was really terrified I was going to lose her. Kate has come to mean a lot to me over the past few months. What would I do if I lost ... my best friend?" She raked her fingers through her hair and reread her letter before adding pleasantries and hitting send before she could change her mind.

She hadn't meant for her letter to talk so much about Kate, but Kate really had become very important to her... perhaps as... more than a friend? She shook her head in confusion. What did that even mean? Was she developing... feelings for Kate?

If she was, would they be welcome?

She blushed from head to toe in the privacy of her stateroom. Her experience with men was... limited, rather awkward, and largely unsuccessful, and she'd pretty much given up on the idea of romance. But with a woman? Her experience there was nil. To be honest, she'd never even considered it until now. Did she have feelings for Kate?

She was beginning to think that she might.

WOULD they be welcome? She thought back to the conversation at the show last night.

Maybe?

The thought made her break out in an uncontrollable blushing grin. Then she was sobered by a thought - was she willing to jeopardize their friendship based on these feelings? That gave her pause. How serious was she about them? She wasn't sure. Uncharted space. But most of all, would they be WELCOME?

She realized she was going to drive herself crazy with the not knowing and resolved to do something more productive: Work on Operation Make a Good Impression. Step 1 was to do what she did best - research. She spent the next couple of hours researching Risan culture and traditions... again. She eventually realized that she did, indeed, need to go shopping and set off to the shopping area in search of some traditional Risan clothing.

Operation Make a Good Impression was going to be a success if it killed her. And somehow, she was going to find out if her feelings were real and if they were welcome. Without jeopardizing their friendship. Somehow...
Last edited by Holly Kolodziejczak on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lieutenant

Postby Luceo » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:37 pm

Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga Ooga-Chaka I-II-IIII'm Hooked on a Feeling!

This is great, from Kate creeping into her letter and thoughts more than she'd intended, to the methodical scientist's research-based approach. Well done! (and great title)

Lieutenant

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:41 pm

The ship is strong with this post
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Lieutenant
Banned

Postby Holly Kolodziejczak » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:47 pm

It's making me all nervous and excited for her! I can't wait to see what happens next!

Also, now I need to go back and write some correspondence with her father and brothers to catch things up between the accident and now.

Where would a civilian like a Starfleet Religious Ambassador be stationed, do you think?

Lieutenant

Postby Luceo » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:39 pm

Holly Kolodziejczak wrote:Where would a civilian like a Starfleet Religious Ambassador be stationed, do you think?

Maybe Bajor, what with all their Prophet stuff?

Lieutenant
Banned

Postby Holly Kolodziejczak » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:50 pm

That's a good idea! Then I can make a trip to Bajor during shore leave.

True fact, I'm so excited about sim tonight, I'm having trouble concentrating on work. Which is unfortunate, since I need to be here for like 2.2 more hours and should probably accomplish something work-related during that time. (I've already read the Memory Alpha article on Risa twice.)

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Atlantis