ENG Lieutenant Ilaihr

Forum for the U.S.S. Atlantis, running every Wednesday at 2100 EST. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: Luceo

Lieutenant
Pezzley Snipes

ENG Lieutenant Ilaihr

Postby Andrew Rice » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:55 pm

"Well?"
"Shut up!"
"Come on, you can do it."
"Shut up Ilaihr! I'm getting to it." He looked at the board with unwavering intensity. "Checkmate in 9 moves!" He cheered triumphantly.
"Tsch, checkmate in 3 DeSoto." Ilaihr smiled and shrugged his shoulders.
"No...No...No, thats impossible, you can't possibly beat me in 3 moves."

Ilaihr began motioning a Vulcan officer to come to their table. "Surek, my pointy eared compatriot; come, he refutes my victory, I think he thinks I'm cheating."
Surek sighs as he comes over to Ilaihr and DeSoto's table to check the board.
"He is cheating isn't he, he even knows I think he's cheating, he has to be reading my mind."
"Firstly Ensign DeSoto, no-one has to read your mind to know what you're thinking at any given time; secondly, Ilaihr I will sacrifice my racial dignity and beg you to stop calling me your pointy eared compatriot; and thirdly how many did you say you were going to win in?"
"Three moves." Ilaihr replied with an almost smug look on his face.
Surek examined the board closely, putting his logic skills to the test. He began to nod. "Yes, he is correct. Three moves until checkmate."

DeSoto's face dropped, he thought he had Ilaihr this time; they had been playing chess everyday for 3 weeks whilst waiting for their respective ships to come into Starbase, and hadn't won once. Every time he accused him of cheating, Surek was called from wherever he was on the station to judge.
"How do you keep winning man?" He begged Ilaihr for an answer.
Ilaihr looked at Surek, and Surek at him. "We're both old, Kid. I've been playing chess since I was found by the Devonshire; and that was 100 years ago. We just have more experience at the game, if you keep playing then you will get better." He then startled chuckling to himself. "But with your strategic mindset, I wouldn't put in for the tactical position on your ship."
"You know damn well I put in for that position on the Topeka." DeSoto snapped. "You two think you're so great getting positions on the Atlantis and the Sentinel"
"I do not believe he said anything like that DeSoto. He merely implied that your overly aggressive tactics are what lead to the downfall of your game, and that such an outlook could be disastrous if you carry it into real-world application, such as that of a tactical station on a bridge."
"Yeah. But just for the record, you're not going to let the New Romulan Republic invade the Federation are you?" Ilaihr said teasingly.
"Screw you guys, I'm going to my quarters!" DeSoto stood up and stormed off and out of the mess hall.

Surek looked at Ilaihr in a slightly stern manner. "Was it really necessary to antagonise him so?"
"It wasn't necessary, but if he cant handle a little bit of banter from little old me, the galaxy is going to crush him. Anyway he's a big boy, he'll get over it." Ilaihr began to rearrange the board. "Fancy a game?"
"I have some work to get on with I'm afraid."
"Our ships don't come in for at least another 2 days, it's illogical to lie about something so transparent as that. Now sit, let the game begin."
Surek sighed a little. "Very well."

They both stared at the board intently.
Last edited by Andrew Rice on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vincit Omnia Veritas - The truth conquers all things.

TAC - LtJG. Soule Douglas - USS Hyperion NCC-77989 / S.T.A.R. ECS
ENG - Lt. Ilaihr - USS Atlantis NCC-1021-D
CSO - LtJG. Hamlet - USS Sentinel NCC-79088

Lieutenant
As predicted in the Bible

Re: ENG Ensign Ilaihr

Postby Luceo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:55 pm

Nice intro! Glad to have you aboard!
"Come let us sail the boundless sea..."

Lieutenant
Banned

Character Name: Alexis Wright

Postby Holly Kolodziejczak » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:56 pm

I stared at your log very intently.

Interesting dialogue! :)
CSO Lt Commander Alexis Wright, U.S.S. Atlantis

Lieutenant
Pezzley Snipes

Child In A Sweet Shop

Postby Andrew Rice » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:24 am

With the Helium-3 crush cans coming in and the hustle and bustle of the shuttlebay; Ilaihr felt young again. First mission on the Atlantis and lives were in jeopardy, it was exciting, but it wasn't proper to act as such. He dove, can to can, checking everyone of them for any microfractures, with almost a skip in his step. The tricorder almost sounded like music to him, he had to resist the urge to hum, whistle or worse.... sing; this was a serious situation and he had to present himself as such. But temptation inevitably got the better of him, beginning to sing a song he sang when he captained Betty.

"The captain the captain of his ship, the captain the captain he makes her tick tick tick. Flys her through space and time, wherever we go we dont care why. Because I'm the captain ....." He stopped abruptly, sensing eyes upon him. He tweaked his spectacles, trying to change the angle to catch a reflection. He sighs. "I know you're there cadet. Speak your mind."
Behind him stood a young female cadet with a befuddled look upon her face. "You're not the captain...sir?"
He chuckled. "Not anymore. They were good years."
"I'm afraid I don't quite understand, you were a captain?"
"Captain Ilaihr of Andor, of the Independent Trade Vessel Betty. Commanded her for 80 years, saw the far flung corners of know space, carrying only the finest commodities and wares. Even did trade with the Romulans and the Tholians, it was magnificent."
Her confused face still did not subside. "Then, why may I ask, are you now an ensign in Starfleet?"
"Betty was irreparably damaged sadly, the best thing to do was to put her down and move on. I had the chance to join starfleet over a century ago, but it was a confusing time, so I went on my own adventure for a long while. Being aboard a Starfleet ship as I sent Betty off, made me desire a change, the chance to do something more. And so, here I am now." He smiled at the cadet's questions; he loved telling stories. "What may I ask is your name cadet?"
"Ummm....." She stuttered. "Jensen.....Victoria Jensen."
"Well it is a pleasure to meet you Jensen Victoria Jensen. I apologise for singing so loudly and disturbing your work. I must dash, there is much to do and much to see in these exciting times." He cupped her outstretched hand and nodding as he seemingly translocated across the room to work on something else.
Cadet Jensen stood there for a moment, unsure of what had just happened. Then it hit her and she exclaimed. "Wait, did he just say he was over a hundred years old?"

As Ilaihr started work on one of the cans, he pondered to himself thinking about the military officer, wondering if he was right in saying that his place was on the ship. He was certain he could fly the can down through the atmosphere, and if anything went wrong he would be there to fix it, he would also be a Starfleet officer on the mining station. Perhaps this is just not the time, he is new afterall and he must prove himself before the crew. This also reminded him of the fact he has not yet met the captain of Atlantis, he had heard of Admiral Blackthorne by way of reputation, and like he was with all people; Ilaihr was anxious to meet him, as well as more of the crew.

Lieutenant

Re: Child In A Sweet Shop

Postby Luceo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:42 pm

Great exposition! Looking forward to hearing more of his stories.

Remember we’re all military here, not just the marines. They’re just more jarheaded about it. Starfleet’s kinda like the Navy in that relationship.

And don’t worry, you’ll meet me soon enough… :)

Lieutenant
Pezzley Snipes

Postby Andrew Rice » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Starfleet is referred to as a peacekeeping armada :p. I just couldnt remember the character's name. Quinn was playing him. But I thought it best to highlight his jarhead appearance as generic military officer, like the MACOs. Because we are supposed to be explorers.

And I look forward to it. :D

Lieutenant

Postby Luceo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:52 pm

Andrew Rice wrote:Starfleet is referred to as a peacekeeping armada :p. I just couldnt remember the character's name. Quinn was playing him. But I thought it best to highlight his jarhead appearance as generic military officer, like the MACOs. Because we are supposed to be explorers.

Of course we're explorers, but Starfleet is quite obviously patterned off the US Navy. There's enlisted, an four-year Academy, the same officer ranks, USS designation for the ships, and the TOS cuff stripes were pretty blatant, leading on into the current pips which are the cuff stripes used by the Navy today. (e.g. two full stripes = LT, two stripes and a half = LCDR, etc)

Starfleet is the Federation's military, but there's nothing that says a military can't have a mission of peaceful exploration. Explorers in this universe need to be well-armed, after all.

Lieutenant
Pezzley Snipes

Postby Andrew Rice » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:35 pm

I learnt that recently re-watching Enterprise. How Archer became a little bit disillusioned after the Xindi attack. Enterprise just wasnt ready for what it found out in deep space. But they came back stronger from it, and were instrumental in the eventual formation of the Federation as we know it.
*Cue inspirational backdrop and music*

Lieutenant
Pezzley Snipes

Coffee? Break....

Postby Andrew Rice » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:41 am

Ilaihr moved off from the pods for a moment to catch his breath, he wasnt as young as he used to be. He smiled it off as he went to grab a cup o' something, he wasnt quite sure what to drink. He prowled the replicator database, but nothing singular caught his fancy, he decided to improvise.

"Hmmm, Computer my dear, replicate me some hot water 90°C, and, some ground lapsang souchong leaves, some ground raktajino coffee beans..." He kept scrolling through the database. "Mmmm civet coffee, sounds nice; some ground beans of that too please." His eyes glazed at the power of near infinite choice. He never installed a food replicator onboard Betty, he was always satisfied with what he could grow on board. He eventually added some obscure Vulcan and Andorian ground beans leaves and berries, and before his eyes several bowls and vials of goodies appeared. He mixed them together before taking a spoonful of the mixture and adding it to the water, with a brisk stir the water turned a blood red colour, bubbling menacingly. He positioned the cup beneath his nose and basked in the various contradicting aromas before taking a sip. "Mmmmm, and a good morning, afternoon, evening and next week to you too. Thank you computer, save the contents of the mixing bowl, you may deconstruct the waste." With his orders the wasted matter was reconstituted within the computer, and he walked away from the replicator.

As he sipped on his 'beverage', a Bajoran officer walked up to him with a smile on his face, and Ilaihr liked it when people smiled and so acted in kind. The lieutenant junior grade stared at him, with what Iliahr supposed was a question.
"May I give a penny for your thought lieutenant?"
The Bajoran looked at him bemused. "Are you Mr. Ilaihr sir?" He asked curiously. "Ilaihr of Andor?"
"I am not sir to you lieutenant, you are sir to me. However, yes I am Ensign Ilaihr." He smiled, slightly puzzled, but he felt good feelings emitting from the officer.
"The Prophets smile upon me sir, you were on Bajor when I was a boy, I have always longed to meet and thank you." The man's eyes beamed with illustrious joy.
"It has been a long time since I have been to Bajor, are you sure I am the man you're thinking of." Strange for Ilaihr, he became reserved trying to shun this apparent hero worship.
"You are the Blue Devil Man; you stopped the Cardassians taking the children of my village away." The Bajoran looked deep iinto Ilaihr's eyes; the memory resurging in his mind.
Ilaihr placed his hand upon the Bajoran's shoulder with a slight tear in his eye. "That must mean that you are...Motar." He smiled. "I remember you. You honour me."
"You, remember my name?"
"It took me a moment, but your pagh is strong. You were a tinkerer of a boy, who is now in a job perfect for himself as a man. And i merely hid you from the Cardassians."
"No sir. You saved us. You gave the rebels weapons to fight them with, you protected us children and some say you even payed off the Cardassians to leave us alone. You were my hero sir."

Ilaihr didnt like the thought of himself being considered a hero, he was a simple man with an equally simple code. However dark the Occupation was; he did enjoy his time spent on Bajor with the people there. He made alot of decisions over the years, and his code was to always aim to do right, no matter what may happen. Never could he imagine himself being considered a hero by anyone in all those years, it was a strange concept. He laughed it off and patted Motar on the shoulder.

"Its been a long time since you've needed to call me sir. It is Ilaihr or ensign, lieutenant. You have earned that, it is your rank and right. And it would be most excellent to talk about the path you have taken, but we still have much work to do sir." He sipped the last drops of his strange concoction. "Much work to do. May the Prophets be with you Lieutenant." Ilaihr then moved off to continue on with his work, leaving Motar standing there with a smile on his face.
"Yes sir." He whispered under his breath one last time. "Blue Devil Man."

Lieutenant

Postby Luceo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:23 pm

Nice look at the transition into his new life!

Next

Return to U.S.S. Atlantis