CTO Lieutenant JG Manuel Gist

Forum for the U.S.S. Sentinel, running every Monday at 2100 EST. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: James Greenman

Ensign

Character Name: Manuel Gist

CTO Lieutenant JG Manuel Gist

Postby Simon Mansell » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:21 am

"Tactical officer's log stardate... computer, what's the star-? Wait, do you record what I ask you?"

"Affirmative."

...Computer pau- *unintelligible*
"Good, don't want the entire crew knowing their Tactical officer forgot the stardate, now where's that pad..."
*rummaging sounds*
"No..."
*Crashing sound*
"no..."
*Another crashing sound*
"Expletive deleted no..."
*Yet another crashing sound*
"I'll have to clean up this junk... there you are you pesky little pad!"
*grunt*
"...if I can reach you..."
*Massive crashing sound*
"SON OF A...wait computer, did you pause that log?"
"Negative."
"...computer, end and delete log."

"Tactical officer's log... entry 1: I've settled into the USS Sentinel, and the crew seem okay. I still don't know what to expect but anything's better then the desk. Starting today, I'm sending these logs to you guys. I'm sorry I missed... computer pause log."

"Well, I have yet to install my Constantinople simulation on the ship's Holodeck, I'm unfamiliar with the ships inner workings and I'll ask the engineer later if they could help me with it, don't want to crowd his space so to speak. Something's happening, can't say for sure, secrets and all that, so you'll probably not get this until this is over. But... I need you guys to reply as soon as possible, because I've got a question; Have you seen... him... it?"

Ensign

Re: TAC officer's log Manuel Gist

Postby Simon Mansell » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:18 pm

Five months and eleven days before current stardate.

The Federation starship's white walls gleamed a sickly green color from the transporter's effect. Its dissipation revealed a humanoid, armored head to toe, carrying scanning equipment. He took a moment to glance around the corridor. Red bars of light flashed rhythmically to the low sound of the ship’s klaxon.

An alien voice berated him via com-badge, "Gi, ryr mall!"

"Mae'runin." he replied, and began scanning the walls with his equipment. After examining the corridor thoroughly he tapped the com-badge again and said, "Mag'ree."

Several, massive, armored, bipeds transported into the room and began to tear the walls apart, ripping out anything of interest with their bare hands. One, the leader of the group, approached the humanoid and said, "Gi, Me'ru,” Pointing with his two-thumbed hand down the corridor.

The armored humanoid nodded and made his way down the corridor, carefully scanning as he went along. Eventually he reached a Jefferies tube. With an annoyed grunt he manually opened the tube, revealing a terrified, female human holding some sort of tool which she promptly hit him over the head with. The armored humanoid staggered back and fell heavily against the opposite wall. She quickly exited the tube and began running down the way the humanoid had come.

“No. they’re that way!” the he called out, causing the woman to stop.

“You speak… English?” she said, still holding her tool defensively.

“Yes, yes,” the humanoid said, while quickly walking towards her, “But there’s no time to explain.” He planted a device onto her yellow uniform. “This is a mobile transporter; it’ll get you out of here.” Even amid the chaos he couldn’t help but notice that she was very attractive, with her shapely figure and sable hair pulled back, loose tendrils framing her pretty face. After all she was quite refreshing considering the company he’d been keeping lately.

“But… who are you?”

He pushed a button on the device. “Name’s Manuel,” he said as she dissolved “Welcome to the Tide.”

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:24 am

A couple of great logs, Simon! Fantastic. :)
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Ensign

Postby Simon Mansell » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:25 pm

Thanks!

Manuel strolled through the ship’s bazaar occasionally waving to passersby and merchants manning their stalls. He passed by a myriad of alien species, Bolian, Vulcan, Talaxian among the more notable. His jubilant mood was spoiled by the fact that above them standing on the very pipes that pump the life blood of their vessel, where their wardens.
These armed sentinels were of one species, massive four thumbed double jointed bipeds. Their faces seemingly contorted into both a smile and a frown at the same time, their high brows giving them a look of twisted regality. Most of them stood, (Or hung clinging to the piping) motionless, their four eyes each independently eying potential dissidents.
Manuel gave a mock salute to the sentries before entering his quarters. Gist turned on the light and was greeted by the same human female, now brandishing a piece of memorabilia from Manuel’s homeland, a replica of a Byzantine mace.
“Hey hey hey,” Manuel said hurriedly, “I see you’ve gotten settled in.” he said staring at the mace. “You definitely have a fetish for bludgeons.”
“Where am I?!” she said, wielding the weapon threateningly.
“I told you, the Tide.”
“What’s the Tide?!”
“It’s a place where you can get in trouble for threatening people with blunt objects. Now, can you put that away so we can have a civilized dialogue?”
She put the mace down, but kept it within reaching distance. “Now tell me where I am, what’s happened to my crew, and what the heck the tide is.”
“Certainly, but first things first,” He said while taking off his helmet and sitting on the couch, “I’m guessing you were investigating a strange, seemingly harmless anomaly. Your ship entered it and was immediately bombarded with an unfamiliar type of energy. Your shields took the most of it, but there was severe damage to your systems. You were scrambling to fix this when the armada hit you. Correct so far?”
The woman nodded.
“You couldn’t fire back because you’d need to shut down your shields and that would allow the energy to fry the ship’s innards. So you tried to get back the way you came, but you realized the anomaly was like a crab trap, easy to get in, hard- to-impossible to get out. Your shields gave out, all hell broke loose, and you, seeing this as your chance to fulfill your lifetime obsession to crack an innocent bystander’s skull, shut yourself in a Jeffries Tube.”
“So,” the woman said thoughtfully, “This happens often?”
“Oh no, I suspect I’d be a vegetable if it did.”
The female put her head in her hands. Manuel sat there, enduring the uncomfortable silence and cursing himself mentally for his insensitivity.
“Look, I don’t believe I know your name, care to enlighten me?” She stared at him angrily. “I mean no offence,” He said holding his hands up defensively.
“My name’s Sophie.”
“Sophia, eh? That means “wisdom” in my native speech. A lot of churches back home named that… So,” he cleared his throat, “The Tide is, well, energy. Not any energy that the Feds have documented. This one’s chaotic, it force feeds itself into anything mechanical and as almost everything mechanical isn’t designed to handle it, boom.” He illustrated the explosion with his hands. “Everything fried.”
“But that fleet wasn’t affected?”
“Right on, they’re the Combibo, a race whose homeworld was paid a visit by the Tide. See-”
“Is the tide sentient?” she interrupted.
“Not to my or the Combibo’s knowledge, its movements are erratic and don’t suggest intelligence. Anywho, the Combibo were having an energy crisis at the time and their homeworld was an utter mess. Some said that they should leave their homeworld in some mass exodus. But there weren’t any planets near enough and they had, well, still don’t have, warp drive. But then imagine the luck? The Tide came their way again. They adapted what starships they had to run on the energy that it gave off, and took off to the Promised Land!”
“So, they raid anything in their paths?”
“To hear them tell it, no. They consider the Tide their sovereign territory, and when a ship as big and as armed as yours enters, it is considered an act of war, and your lives are forfeit.”
“Where are my crewmates?”
Manuel bit his lower lip and stared at the floor.
“Dead?” She asked.
“Yea, you were lucky, see? See the Combibo are a suspicious lot, and since they don’t have good scanning tech, they send in someone like me first, I sweep the area for explosives and call them in when it’s safe. I was able to get you off before they caught up. By my reckoning, you’re the first person to get off a derelict alive.”
”But then how are you here?”
“Me? I’m what you could call an immigrant. When a ship’s not too armed, or is very small, the Combibo take them in if they don’t resist. I, plus the others inhabiting the “Foreigner vessel" are the ones that this happened to.”
“Okay, how do we get out of this?”
“There’s no “how” about it. As the Combibo say, “Ule re’mas thwe; The Tide keeps her own.”

Ensign

Postby Simon Mansell » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:16 am

Approximately four months before current stardate
Manuel walked in pace with the Combibo Constable towards the backroom. There, Sophie sat quietly within the dimly lit Combibo cell staring towards the ray shielded exit. She perked up slightly at Gist's arrival but still appeared to be disinterested.
"Gist," the Constable said, (Translated) "She's becoming increasingly disruptive."
"What'd she do this time?" Manuel asked without turning his head away from Sophie.
"She hijacked one of the shuttles, tried to brake the tide's barrier using some tech she apparently stole from the saucer ship she came from."

Gist stroked his scalp. "Look Svei, you need to realize-"
"No," Svei interuppted holding his hand out angrily, "You need to realize that this is bigger then us now, before her conduct was regulated to only this ship, she stole a ship, in full view of the fleet, and now I've got the district supervisors breathing into my skull."
"She needs time, ours is not an... adaptive species."
"Gist, when you came you accepted the situation in open arms, you've been a boon to the community, does that give you the right to bring an enemy onto our vessel as your loot? I don't know, but as this disorderly behavior continues, the more I think that her dying on that vessel was for the best."
Manuel sighed, and said, "If she does this again, I'm prepared to let her face the consequences."
"Good," Svai said while using the console to deactivate the barrier, "Because your running out of favors."

Manuel and Sophie strolled silently through the bazaar as the venders were closing their shops before curfew started.
"I thought it would keep you out of trouble saddling you with that Talaxian handy-woman down in manufacturing." Gist said sadly.
"How did you think I got the ship?" Sophie replied, while staring into the gutters.
Manuel stopped. "You know why I quit Star Fleet? 'Cause humanity's the most arrogant species in the galaxy." Gist began to pace up and down the street.
"They're like a bull, crashing through everything that is unique in the universe like a dumb animal."
"Name one event." Sophie said coldly.
"How about the "Swarm," they gave the Feds a warning to stay away, but the Feds still came and many of the "swarm" died. Might I ask why the high and mighty Feds did this? Because it would take too dang long to go AROUND!!"
"The Federation seeks out new life, but trudges through anything too alien regardless of the consequences. You're like that, you don't think that this'll make it harder for these people." Gist gestured around to the surrounding pedestrians.
Sophie whispered to Gist, "If we get out, we can take them with us."
"They don't bloody want to leave! This is their home, some have been here for their whole life, if you think that I'm going to let you hurt these people you've got another thing coming."
"And how is it that the mighty and all-knowing "Manuel Gist" has been appointed the judge of the people."
"They don't want Federation meddling-"
"They deserve the right to chose that for themselves Manuel! You know what, Gist, you're afraid, you're afraid of anything that will burst your little safety bubble. I heard stories about you in Starfleet; the raw cadet turned spy, the martyr that "died" fighting the Breen in the Dominion war. The question I have is what the heck happened to him?"
Sophie stormed off, leaving an unusually silent Manuel.

Ensign

Postby Simon Mansell » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:04 am

Manuel Gist was at home.

Sure, he was surrounded by foul smelling Federation commandos, sparking wires, and charred bodies mixed with the promenade’s burning rubble; but it was the atmosphere that made him feel at ease. The tenseness, the curtness, amongst these elements your mind is focused on one thing; Survival. In a situation like this it is easy to forget…
Manuel was brought back to reality when his crewmate, Marcus, who was conversing with a Federation soldier of whose rank and name Manuel did not catch, painting Gist as some modern day Digenes Akritas. Manuel tactfully decided to not mention this as he doubted anyone would get the reference. Instead he let forth a clumsy reply that he was sure he would later regret. Further words were said, and the group began the long walk to their objective.
Manuel pondered why he had volunteered for this; The Captain had made it perfectly clear that this was indeed a “suicide mission,” and he wasn’t exactly someone for victory or death situations. Yet here he was; fighting for the Federation against a species he had only heard tell of. Gist had no love for the Federation; he’d worked for the Romulans, the Xindi Reptilians, and heck, even the Gorn. Yet as soon as that first assignment had been complete, he left the Federation for seemingly forever.

Only someone that went through that mission would understand why.

Manuel’s thoughts were disturbed by a sound from a branching corridor causing him to instinctively raise his phaser rifle. Gist senses were further alerted by the sound of heavy breathing, but not from the corridor; to his left. He turned to see one his MACO’s nervously taking a stand beside him, looking at him for support. Manuel smiled at motioned for him to continue with the group. The man hesitated, but followed through with the order.
In hindsight, it might have been a wise decision; going off alone, leaving the squad one man down. But leaving an enemy aware of their presence behind them would be a tactical mistake. At least that’s what Gist told himself. Manuel slowly began to make his way through Sigma Rho’s passages following the diminishing noises. The blare seemed to be retreating; Like a wounded animal; or an intelligent hunter. Gist suspected the latter even though he never met a Tzenkethi.

Gist turned a corner entering a hallway that had been blasted apart. Hanging from the walls were mangled pieces of the plating drenched by the insides of neural gel packs, giving it an eerie similarity to an exposed wound. Manuel continued at a snail's pace, knowing that there was just enough room for one of these scaly foes to hide.
Suddenly, a rough hand hoisted Manuel off his feet and threw him into the wall. Gist was disoriented for a second before spotted his attacker hiding in the exposed ceiling. The massive lizard jumped down from his lofty perch and put a hand around Manuel’s neck.
Manuel, recovering from the shock of the situation, managed to shoot into his assailant’s leg.
The Tzenkethi let out a deafening roar while releasing Gist. Before Manuel could shoot again the lizard knocked his rifle out of his hand and placed a bulky three toed foot onto Gist’s chest.
Manuel drew a long-knife from his boot and drove it into the creature’s foot. The reptile, once again taken aback by the intense pain, staggered into the opposite wall. Taking full advantage, Gist leapt upon it, driving his knife into it’s thick neck. The Tzenkethi let out a howl before collapsing against the bulkhead.

Gist paused, staring at the limp form of the lizard for a moment before sheathing his knife, retrieving his rifle, and walking back the way he came, pondering why all first contacts can’t go as well.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:36 pm

An absolutely fantastic log, Simon! I hope you had fun Bruce Willising those jeffries tubes. :riker:

Ensign

Postby Simon Mansell » Mon May 04, 2015 4:17 pm

Thanks.

A medbay, smell of burnt skin, a companion on the verge of death, surprisingly not a new scenario for Gist, however, the drug-slash-pain induced pick up lines were, in a word, novel. Manuel continued slurring one after another this nurse, (whose appearance he prayed was induced by his stupor.) Not that he was picky, but in personal experience courting a species which you did not understand usually ended badly. Perhaps that explained why Gist had such little luck with his own species.

The door to the medbay hissed open and a familiar face walked in; The MACO that had stayed back, albeit temporarily, with Gist when he was about to pursue the creature. Manuel gave a mock salute from his sitting position on one of the medbay’s beds.

”So, the unscathed hero decides to grace his comrades with his presence, or is there a mass of adoring fans that’s waiting for “The saviors of Sigma Rho”” Manuel said drunkenly.

“We didn’t blow up the station, Mr. Gist.”

Manuel put a hand to his head, “Don’t remind me. If you’re here to check on us, Mark over there isn’t sociable at the moment.” Manuel said with a nod over to the unconscious Marcus.

“Well, sir, I actually wanted to say something to you.”

”Shoot.”

“Well, my brother fought in the Dominion war, and I just want to say, thank yo-“

“Look kid, I really like the “Thank a veteran” routine, but… I don’t want it.”

“But why? You deserve it, you won us a battle at the Orion Cluster and-”

“I wasn’t even there kid; somebody in the Federation’s morale department wanted a marketable face for the war propaganda, and since I was considered quite dead at that moment, I was the ideal candidate.”

“What? You didn’t see combat?”

”I did, but only from one mission.”

The MACO stood perplexed for a moment.

“But according to the official report, you were in a Breen prison for years, that’s why you were MIA. So you just did one mission and ended up in prison for the rest of the war?”

“I wasn’t missing in action, I deserted.”

“But why?!” the MACO said angrily.

Gist did not answer, instead giving a gesture to the rest of the medbay as if to say the MACO was making a scene.

“…Sorry” the MACO said.

“Look, there are some things you just don’t want to know.”

”Okay, but then how do you fight like that? I always assumed you learned it while you were fighting against the Breen.”

“Half true, I learned it in the far reaches of the galaxy when I was “supposedly“ fighting the Breen. It was out there I found something very dear to me; my family.”

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Mon May 04, 2015 5:14 pm

Oooo, a little insight into Gist's history! Loving it, looking forward to more.

Ensign

Postby Simon Mansell » Sat May 09, 2015 10:53 pm

Even with his armor, Gist still felt a cold chill as he walked over the snowy rooftops with only two moons for illumination. He did not walk alone. Beside him tread a man in dark armor with a black cloak obscuring all but a few of his his features, most notable an upside down federation insignia painted onto his breastplate. He slowly moved across the cityscape, holding a scoped rifle reminiscent of an old earth style close to his chest.

Gist jumped onto a building with a massive glass skylight covering almost the entire breadth of the roof. The man followed, (albeit less gracefully then Manuel) and gestured to the skylight. Gist eased over the skylight from an angle that his form would not block the light and alert the building's denizens. It was quite run down, it's floors littered with an inordinate amount of trash; inanimate and living.
The "living trash" was an assortment of ruffians and thugs divided into two groups on either side of the structure. In the middle stood two men, one Nausicaan and one Bajoran, seemingly in the midst of a trade. The Nausicaan's barter was a large assortment of maraji crystals. The Bajoran flaunted a rifle like a shopkeeper showing off his wares to a perspective buyer.

The Dark man gestured toward the criminals with his rifle. Gist waved his hand dismissively and then pointed to himself in a comically arrogant manner. The man shook his head reproachfully, but backed away from the skylight and motioned his hand towards it as if to say "All yours." Gist tapped a few buttons on his wrist mounted computer. His helmet's HUD activated, displaying his armor's structural integrity, his shields, and an assortment of programs designed to give him a tactical edge. Manuel tapped a few more buttons before he activated what he wanted.

The sound of an electric guitar filled his helmet, and Gist smiled to himself as the lyrics began to play.
"You can't feel the heat until you hold your hand over the flame"
You have to cross the line just to remember where it lays"
Manuel leaped onto the glass, shattering it as he fell into the building.
He landed on his feet between the two barterers, driving his elbow into the Bajoran's face, whilst drawing a pistol, (also of old earth make,) sending a slug into the Nausicaan's twisted head.
Their companions raised their rifles, turning on their weapons' built in spotlights, but before they could fire, Gist pushed another button on his wrist computer, sending an electronic pulse rippling throughout the room that shut down the thug's mechanical items, and plunged the room into darkness.

Gist drew his knife from it's arm mounted sheath and brandished his weapons.
"You won't know your worth now, son, until you take a hit"
"And you won't find the beat until you lose yourself in it"
Under his helmet, Manuel sported a very wide grin.

Next

Return to U.S.S. Sentinel