AMB Lieutenant JG Rebecca Terell

Forum for the U.S.S. Sentinel, running every Monday at 2100 EST. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: James Greenman

Lieutenant

AMB Lieutenant JG Rebecca Terell

Postby Babette C » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:40 pm

11502.26 Zero Log, Ambassador Rebecca Terell

“K-t-lIX-t-AK!” A hard “click” sound, a soft “ta”, a hard, high pitched “lix”,“ta” again, a small pause, a hard emphasis on the “ak”.
A tilt of the head, a subtle flick of a feather, a shifting of the feet.

“Tik-rrrrrreeeet!” She clicked her toungue on the “Tik”, and trilled her r’s at the very front of her mouth close to the teeth, her voice rising to a high pitch at the end.

The avians chattered to each other, clicking their bills rapidly, one bobbing his head.

She tried again. “Tik-RRRrrreeeeT!” More emphasis on the trilled r’s. Hard emphasis on the T at the end.

They nodded to each other, one lifted his head, rapidly lifting his crest feathers. She felt a breath of relief escape her lips.

“X-zi-Q-ha!”, they replied. A noise like steam escaping a tea kettle, starting low, ending high, with a soft “kh” in the back of the throat, and a sound like the beginning of a belly laugh at the end. The male avian flapped his wings to signal he was finished, and looked at her expectantly.

“tik-tik-tik-kreeeK-tLa-ha!” , she countered.

They rustled their wings, indicating their agreement.

Turning to her companions, Rebecca Terell continued the negotiations.
She spoke in Andorian this time. “They said 30 bars of gold-pressed latinum for the lot. I’ve talked them down from 50. Are you in agreement?”

“Excellent, we’ll pick up the cargo right away. Thank you, you've saved us a lot of money and time. These medicines are just what we needed.” The Andorian captain looked pleased, waving his antennae in emphasis with his words.

This was only one of several worlds that she’d been to in the past couple of months. The small medical transport ship that she was stationed on didn’t have a universal translator, so they relied on her. She knew more than three dozen different languages fluently, ten of which were sign languages; and could pick up a language in a matter of a few days if she had to. Most of a lifetime spent on her parents’ trading vessel had allowed her to learn about many different worlds and their customs.

She’d been out of the Academy for two years. She had been working her way across the Alpha quadrant getting field experience as a translator for various vessels, both Starfleet and otherwise. As soon as she was done with this current job, she would be heading back to her home base, Starbase 123. There, in between field expeditions, she had been acting as a Federation liaison officer for various dignitaries, including Romulan and Klingon. Today she felt a little wistful, this was her last field assignment until she took her new position on the USS Sentinel in a few weeks time. She also couldn't help feeling a few jitters… Admiral Tolar had newly appointed her as a Federation Ambassador. This, at a time when Romulan and Klingon relations were just beginning to heat up again…

Captain Chovn’s voice interrupted her thoughts. The Andorian looked kindly at her. “Are you ready to go, ..Ambassador?” This was still very new. She had just told him the news that morning. She nodded.
“I’m ready.”
Last edited by Babette C on Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CMO - Lt. Isabelle Rousseau - USS Hyperion NCC-77989
AMB - Lt. JG Rebecca Terell - USS Sentinel NCC-79088

Lieutenant

Re: AMB - Ensign Rebecca Terell

Postby Babette C » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:56 pm

11503.16 Into the Fray
Rebecca stood at the station’s departure bay ready to go back onto the Sentinel, lingering for a few moments before she had to leave. The weight of the phaser on her belt reminded her of the situation ahead. Combat training was required, but it wasn’t her normal way of doing things.. she’d always been better at listening and talking than fighting...

This had been her home for almost two full years since she had left the Academy; her first posting in between field missions. Her old quarters were now completely cleared out, and she’d just returned from saying goodbye to one of her dearest friends on the station. She fingered the necklace her friend had given her. A symbol of peace on her home planet. She said it was fitting of an ambassador. The irony was, her dinner with her friend had been cut short by news of War with the Tzenkethi. She was being called back to the ship immediately, they were being sent to starbase 621, where the majority of the fighting was taking place.
Rebecca was unsure of how her new position as Ambassador was going to be helpful against an enemy that seemed to prefer to fight rather than talk. Still, she intended to find out as much as she could about their race – language, history, culture.. just in case the information might be useful to the crew. There had to be some way that she could serve the new captain.
Last edited by Babette C on Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lieutenant

Postby Babette C » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:47 am

The communications signal from the Tzenkethi vessel fell silent as the barrage of fire from the Sentinel blew the cruiser to bits. Pieces from the downed cruiser and floating bodies filled the viewscreen. Rebecca felt relief.. but it was still not an easy thing to accept the deaths of others at the hands of the Federation.. even if they were at war.

Rebecca’s mind went back to what she had been able to learned about the Tzenkethi culture so far.. They were a matriarchal culture ruled by an autarch, with a society structured into echelons - they were divided up according to what they were destined to be good at – scientists, diplomats, workers, farmers, and warriors. They communicated within their class structures with a strict hierarchy of language, a ritualistic set of gestures and honorifics. No one in the lower classes spoke to someone in the higher echelons without strict permission. Each echelon had its own dialect, which was probably why the universal translator’s language files were incomplete. Not all echelons would be represented in the battleships sent against the Federation… The language they were hearing over the comms was most likely of the warrior class…

The Federation vessels needed to buy more time so that the evacuees from Sigma Rho could be saved. One way could be to send out a signal that could jam communications between the Tzenkethi ships so that they couldn’t send signals between the carriers and the raiding vessels that contained the boarding parties. Another way to could be to send out a false communication signal to make the warrior ships retreat. It would have to be in the dialect of the higher echelons, perhaps closest in rank to the Autarch, or maybe even in the language of the Autarch Herself…

Lieutenant

Postby Babette C » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:55 pm

11505.25 (Joint log with Sentinel Crew - Ambassador Terell, Hamlet & Taev)
Rebecca watched the hologram of Daimon Murbek fade from view as the transmission was cut. Half an hour was not much time to create a plan; if they were going to negotiate with these Ferengi, they'd either have to find something to bargain with, or trick them into letting the ships go. She went through the rules of acquisition in her head.. there had to be something that could apply to the situation at hand. She turned towards the crew on the Bridge. “I have a few thoughts on how to get out of this, but I’m open to any suggestions that you might have.”

Hamlet was sat at his console, his head rested in his hand, quietly stewing. He saw it as his fault that they were trapped in the subspace instability themselves; he said the plan would work, and it failed. He looked up at Terell as she spoke; soberly rubbing his mouth in thought.
"That damned Ferengi said there w's a w'y out... we have t'find it..." He mumbled to himself. "We have to..."

She nodded at Hamlet. “Lieutenant, you mentioned something earlier about how they could be skimming money from the Ferenginar Commerce Authority. If that’s true, the Daimon could be stripped of his rank, disavowed by the Ferengi government, and barred from trade with other Ferengi.. which would definitely cut into his profits. That could be a good way to gain some leverage..”

"Its the oldest anti-Ferengi trick in the book; after beating 'em senseless. But we either have to find proof or fabricate it to an exceptional degree; so as to survive the scrutiny of those tight fingered bast'rds. But appeasing to their sense of greed is the go-to if antagonising their sense of cowardice fails."

Rebecca furrowed her brow, trying to figure out if half an hour would be enough time.... “I think the one of the best ways to get proof would be to somehow tap into their ships databanks... which is difficult given that we’re not able to communicate by subspace right now; appealing to their sense of greed would work only we’ve got something more valuable to give them than our ships. I’m beginning to think that talking to the Daimon might have to be simply a distraction while the rest of the crew works to trick them when they board the vessel..if it comes to that.”

“Or..What if…” she tapped her commbadge to talk to Engineering. “Ensign Taev, As I understand it, we should be able to use the slipstream drive since we are not able to go to warp right now. Can you clarify that for me please?”

Taev “A slipstream drive is completely oblivious to subspace instability, ships do not travel through subspace when using QSD. As long as we have power, we can choose to leave the Ferengi & Andorians behind. We do have orders to leave immediately to assist others in the war. While the Andorian fleet would be helpful, they’re not critically important; it’s not like they’re Vulcans or anything.

If the Andorians are a higher priority, we could choose to eject our warp drive and detonate it at a safe distance. This action has been demonstrated in the past by the Enterprise E to flatten subspace over a great distance (closing a subspace rift much larger than the little ones which surround us presently), at least until the source of instability reasserts itself over this domain. The Andorians could then deal with the Ferengi and we could still leave using the QSD or be towed by our friends. Without a Warp drive, we won’t be much help in fighting the Tzenkethi though.

As an Engineer, my preference would be to NOT give up our warp drive. Perhaps the Ferengi would re-consider their position if this approach was mentioned. Removing the subspace instability at great cost for the Sentinel and then destroying the Ferengi is our stick. Our carrot could be offering an exclusive trade agreement to re-supply Federation ships in Tzenkethi space (with hazard pay) or a contract to rebuild Starbase Rho.”

She listened carefully to what he was saying, letting him run through his ideas one by one; then stood up, addressing the Captain.
“If the slipstream drive is successful in getting us out of here, then we won’t have to waste time trying to negotiate with these Ferengi. We’d also have the option to come back later and free the Andorian fleet, possibly with reinforcements; now that we know what we’re dealing with. However, if we do need to negotiate with them, a trade agreement could work.. given their sense of greed.. If nothing else, it could buy us time to get out of here.”
The minutes ticked down, and the half an hour was soon up…
Last edited by Babette C on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lieutenant

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:57 pm

ooo the sneaky-sneakies are happening here :)
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Lieutenant

Postby Babette C » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:58 pm

well, hopefully. I can't be there tonight, so let me know how it goes : )

Lieutenant

Postby Babette C » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:56 pm

11507.27 Diplomatic Headquarters (guest-starring James as Roua)
The afternoon light shone through the window of the foyer of the Federation's diplomatic headquarters on Risa. Rebecca sat in an upholstered chair in the waiting area, waiting for her contact in the Diplomatic Corps. The pleasant white-haired woman behind the front desk had assured her that it would only be a few minutes more. As with everything else on Risa, schedules were very relaxed here… Several minutes later, she looked up as an assistant approached her through a pair of polished wooden double doors. "Ambassador Terell? Right this way.." She stood, and followed the assistant through the doors into a comfortable office.

The place she stepped into was more of a greenhouse than an office, plants growing up the walls, the floor covered the softest, most plush green lawn of grass that seemed to spring right back into shape after each footsteps. The smells that rolled from the multihued blossoms were as varied as the blossoms themselves, but each was distinct and seemed to mesh together in the most pleasant way possible. Everything about the room spoke of care and attention, of everything being in its rightful place, at home. The man behind the desk - a beautiful thing made of one solid piece of wood, seemingly grown rather than build - stood up and made his way around it with a smile on his face and eyes glittering with happiness.

"Ambassador, thank you for joining us, I truly hoped that you would accept our invitation. Please, be welcome, what's mine is yours." His voice was light, but strong, confident, each word spoken in his native Risian.

"Such a beautiful place you have here," She replied, in equally fluent Risian. "It's a shame that my visit had to be on such a sad occasion. I heard the news about the president just this afternoon."

The Risian Ambassador, Roua, took her hand in his lightly, cradling it like a flower as he spoke, his joy overflowing at hearing his language from human lips. "I have heard of your skill with languages, but I never expected to hear it spoken so beautifully - I would think you had grown up here if I did not know differently. Please, sit, be at ease." He guides her to the chair, the soft wood as comfortable as a fine cushion, while he moves around and takes a seat on the other side of the large desk.

"Yes, yes, it is a truly sorrowful event - all of us here are saddened by the news, some fear for Risa as they always do during times of turmoil, but we must continue to serve must we not? I had hoped you might know something more, being a Starfleet officer, something I might tell our people and the guests who come to me - but alas, it is a shame, but one that we can do nothing about. Would you like tea, water, nectar? What's mine is yours."

"Thank you," she smiled, sinking into the soft wood chair. "I'd love a cup of jumja tea, if you've got it."

"I'm afraid I don't know much more than the official information that we were all given. The president was on his way to the peace talks with the Tzenkethi when his ship was attacked, and Yix was the only survivor. The Federation news reports said that the president's ship was attacked by tzenkethi rebel forces.. But I don't know for sure; there were some tzenkethi communications that came through which were sent to me to decode, and they were reporting the same attack. They didn't confirm that rebels were the cause of it though. In fact, they didn't say who caused it. It could have been rebels..or someone else."

Roua looked over his shoulder as he calmly brewed the tea, taking the package of loose leaves from its case, stopping for a moment just to savour the rich, slightly spicy, scent of the jumja before adding it to the cups and blending in the water, listening to the Starfleet Ambassador speak, nodding at the correct parts over his shoulder, making quiet little noises of confirmation.

"We have been given the same information, except for those decoded messages of course - it seems like everything is as it was told. A sad day, truly. I met President Okeg once, you know?" His voice was tinged with sadness, adding a mournful inflection to his voice.

Taking the tea he carried it back over to the table, setting it down between them before finally taking the seat, letting the contours curve around him as he settled back. "It was about three years ago, when he was still a diplomat for the Saurian people. He spoke Risian too, you know? He wouldn't use a universal translator, I heard afterwards from one of his aides that he had them all confiscated once - his dialect was nowhere near as perfect as yours, but I was impressed, especially from a Saurian. When he renewed the Khitomer Accords last year he spoke both Romulan and Klingon without a translator. The Galaxy has lost a truly notable President." He raised his cup with his last words, a toast to a man gone but not forgotten.

She took the tea sipping the fragrant infusion and raising the glass in toast when Roua did.

“I met him once also, he and his entourage stopped at Starbase 123 after signing the accords, where I was stationed as a diplomatic liaison officer. It was quite an occasion. He gave a speech, and there was a question and answer session afterwards.
I remember he was kind and open. He would answer any question we had for him, no matter how difficult. He seemed willing to go to extra lengths to explain things in great detail, why the Romulans and the Klingons were at odds with one another, the differences between their cultures, and the similarities.. how they basically wanted the same thing, but went about it differently. We came away with the feeling that he sought a true understanding of each of them as a people.”

Roua took a sip of his own tea as he listened to the story, nodding along with until the end.

"A truly great man, and a truly great loss for the Federation. I fear we shall feel the effects of this for years to come..." He placed his tea on the desk and let his slender fingers trail over the delicate porcelain. "But come, let us speak of more joyous times. There is no new information to be had, so we shall speak of old times, good times." His wide smile was genuine and warm, brightening his entire face until he almost seemed to be a part of the beautiful garden-cum-office.

“Yes, but perhaps new information will present itself soon. I will try to keep you informed of anything I learn, if you like. As long as it’s not classified, that is.. ” She returned his warm smile. “I haven’t been an official ambassador for very long yet. Only a few weeks, and most of that time was during the war. But when I was appointed to the Sentinel, just before the War broke out, we were supposed to have begun a deep space mission of exploration. Now that the war is over, I hope that we are able to continue. I’m looking forward to the opportunity to put my skills to good use.”

"Ahh, Exploration, the true calling of any spacefaring species. But also perhaps a sign of one who isn't truly happy with the planet they come from? - it is why we Risians are content to stay here, where we have everything we could need, or want, and visitors to share it with, yes?" Roua's took another sip of his tea with smiling lips, letting the delicate flavours mingle on his tongue, before swallowing with a delightful sigh.

“I grew up in space.. Exploration has always come naturally to me. I’ve never felt comfortable staying in one place for very long. The longest I’ve lived anywhere, that I remember anyway, was at the Academy.”

”We did live on an Earth colony when I was very small, but I only remember a few things about it. The way the rain fell on the roof, for example. It’s not something that one experiences in space. It’s been a long time since I fell asleep to the sound of rain..”, her expression became distant, almost wistful, then she focused on Roua once again. “But, Risa is very beautiful, I intend to visit here again one day. Hopefully soon…”
She allowed the aroma of the tea to fill her senses, then drained her cup and stood up, holding out her hand to Roua. "I must be getting back, there is a party tonight which I need to prepare for. Thank you again for your hospitality.."

Lieutenant

Postby Babette C » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:03 pm

11508.17 Translation
The artifact practically glowed from within. Many lines of text were traced on the inside of it, the words clearly visible through its purplish crystalline structure.. The script was delicate, made of a series of squiggles and lines, punctuated with an occasional dot. It was an ancient Tkon artifact found by the Vulcans on a salvaged Tkon vessel, and lent by them to the Sentinel crew to study.

Rebecca gazed in awe at it. It was over 600,000 years old. She had studied the Tkon at the Academy; they were a vast empire that had existed in the Alpha quadrant, at had, amongst other technological achievements, the ability to move entire star systems. This was the first time she had seen one of their artifacts up close. The Vulcans had believed this one to be some sort of memory storage device.

She finished transcribing a few of the words onto a PADD and sat down to puzzle out the translation. She found three words that she recognized. A smaller word that had to be some sort of definite article, followed by a larger word.. that signified a proper noun.. a king?.. a monarchy?.. No. Empire. The Empire. The third, of course, was the word signifying the Tkon. She searched through the words again, adding the letters she recognized into her translation. Another word.. death..? No. more like annihilation..
Ah, destruction. Little by little, she teased out the meaning of each line, building each letter into words until it began to make sense.

Her eyes widened as she read over the first few lines…

In the early days of the Empire, two races did we find. Similar, yet of machines they were formed. A mind great enough to rival any fledgling race, and a fury as if not greater.

Destruction for the Tkon’s charges. Destruction for the known universe. Sealed them behind a field of silence. Nothing goes in, nothing comes out. Sealed away from all who would search and those who would come after, never to be opened. The Universe ends that day.

She tapped her comm badge. “Captain, you’re going to want to see this…”
Attachments
tkontext-untranslated.png
tkontext-untranslated.png (33.53 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
Last edited by Babette C on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lieutenant

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:04 pm

Oh my. That's an unfortunate-looking puzzle right there. And holy mother of all cryptic messages.
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Lieutenant

Postby Babette C » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:05 pm

It's not so difficult once you figure out the key.. ; )

Next

Return to U.S.S. Sentinel