CMO Lieutenant Sarissa

Forum for the U.S.S. Sentinel, running every Monday at 2100 EST. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: James Greenman

Lieutenant

Personal Log, Stardate 11505.25

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:40 pm

*unidentifiable noise*

Stupid PADD. Oh, this is recording already...

*sigh*

Well, this is certainly a fix we've gotten ourselves into. The current word is that we've been caught in the same trap the Andorian ships are in and that there's Ferengi pirates wanting to take the ship.

I'm not sure if any of that is true, but I do plan to find out.

Meanwhile, Sickbay is calm. The nurses and medtechs are having a practical field day with what happened earlier. One of them, I think it was Loret, decided to rather loudly proclaim that if we get anymore Ferengi onboard, he'll bribe them.

I don't mind that they're joking, but I can't help but to think that a few slips of latinum isn't going to get us out of this. I mean, it's going to take a lot more than latinum to please a greedy Ferengi. As far as I can tell, I'd better start practicing with my phaser...

Anyway, I won't even begin any rants about what happened earlier. I don't know if Gist's phaser was on stun or not and he had honestly better hope I never find out. I'll just keep telling myself it was on stun. That'll make me feel so much better. *snorts*

*unidentifiable noise*

There went the top PADD in my tower.

*clattering noise*

And there went the rest of them. I should probably stop playing with the tech and actually file this all.

Computer, end log.
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Lieutenant

Thoughts on Diversity

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:24 pm

Medtech Loret was munching on something when Sarissa stepped out into Main Sickbay to prepare something for the coming "situtation".

He was completely engrossed in whatever it was and seemed utterly fascinated in the food. It was mildly unnerving.

"What have you got there, Loret?" she finally asked, after being a bit wierded out by his constant munching.

He looked up and grinned, "Oh, nothing special. Just a little treat."

"Are you sure? You seem quite focused on that."

Loret put on a highly affronted air and smirked, "Have you never seen a jumja stick?"

He held the item in question out for inspection.

Sarissa frowned, "No, I can't say I have. What is it?"

"A little treat from Bajor. I always try to get my hands on a fresh one instead of that inedible replicator version."

"So it's something of a delicacy?"

"That's what I think, but others might not. Y'know, how many planets have you visited? Most people know about jumja sticks."

Sarissa's face flushed as she replied, "Five. I've been to Vulcan, Betazed, Earth, Cestus III, and Andoria."

"Cool. I've always wanted to go to Andoria. I've just been to Bajor, Earth, Vulcan, and the unimaginable awesomeness of Risa. But nothing, and I mean nothing, can compare to a jumja stick. You should try one."

With that, he wandered off to prep a few biobeds, munching on the treat the entire time, leaving Sarissa to wonder about the oddness of some people.

Lieutenant

Personal Log, Stardate...

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:16 am

Computer, begin recording.

*sigh*

Personal Log, Stardate... stardate... oh to hell with it.

He died right in front of me. It wasn't even a proper, honorable death, either. It was a plasma explosion. Literally, he was dead in an instant. And... I didn't even know his name.

*shaky breath*

I-I'm not sure what to do. I feel so... hopeless, like that sealed it. But, we'll pull through. The other ships are giving it all they've got and maybe, just maybe, if we do lose, we'll take as many of those bastards with us as we can. I guess we can only hope.

Medical reports are coming in from everywhere and I'm due to give a report. I don't know how I can get this all out. Hell, I'm recording this in a hallway while I'm taking that breather that I should have taken an hour ago.

*unidentified voice*

And that's my cue to get up off my ass and do something about all of this... this... this carnage.

Computer, end log. Save to my personal PADD and wipe from main computer systems.

I don't want anyone to even hear this. I'll record a better one later.

Lieutenant

The Training Sim

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:54 am

"Are you sure this will work?" a mildly nervous Cadet Tyrell asked, his antennae twitching.

"I'm with Tyrell, are you sure about this?" Sarissa put in, trying not to wince at Ensign Sharesh's glare as the Caitian stifled a sigh.

Sharesh was leading ten cadets in a training simulation, a boarding sim. Of course, he'd managed to get the nervous ones and it clearly irritated him.

"Why did I get stuck with idiots?" Sharesh muttered to himself, thinking that three pairs of pointed ears wouldn't hear him.

The two Vulcan cadets exchanged a look, but their half-Romulan counterpart was annoyed now.

"That was uncalled for!" Sarissa began, about to tell the senior officer off, but was stopped by Cadet Jamie Howard slapping a hasty hand over her mouth and silencing her.

"Sorry about this one!" the tactical cadet said quickly, "Big mouth and all! Just doesn't know when to shut up!"

"Well, make sure that lesson is learned," Sharesh huffed before moving away.

Jamie moved her hand and scowled, "You almost got yourself a demerit! Good going, now he's pissed at all of us!"

"Oh, he already was! He needs to learn some manners," Sarissa grumbled, hoisting the safety-locked phaser rifle they'd each been given.

Cadet L'Kara nodded slightly, "While Ensign Sharesh is rather blunt in his words, he is our superior."

Cadet Soren agreed with a slight inclination of his head and Tyrell just shrugged, his blue skin just a tad too pale for an Andorian.

"Alright, people!" Sharesh hissed as the group crouched behind some boxes on the holodeck simulation, "Remember, this is just a simulation. You are getting a grade for this. It's a standard sim, kinda like the Kobayashi Maru. So, be careful. Any questions?"

"Who's supposed to be 'boarding' our ship?" Jamie asked.

Sharesh double-checked a PADD he was carrying and replied, "Apparently, Tal Shiar forces. Shouldn't be too much of a problem."

His glare fixed on Sarissa and she scowled. He was obviously enjoying this.

As they began the sim, it was quickly learned that not all cadets are as their majors appear. L'Kara, despite being a navigation major, was rather excellent with a phaser. Jamie was an adept engineer and Sarissa learned that she had a slight inclination for building nasty incendiary devices using a rigged hypo, or "dirty bombs" as Jamie insisted on calling them.

Overall, Sharesh left with a new impression of the cadets and they left with a newfound sense of confidence. Of course, not all of them passed the sim, but they all were boosted in confidence.

In a later thought as the Sentinel was boarded by Tzenkethi, Sarissa couldn't help but to wonder what her old friends would do in a situation like this. Would they keep running around the ship or would they hunker down? It was most likely time to find out just what people are really made of.

Lieutenant

Consequences (with Lt. (jg) Hamlet)

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:40 am

It had taken asking a few MACOs and finally an ensign who'd been on the bridge during the battle, but Sarissa now knew who exactly had decided to suffocate those poor lizards. Well, sure they were bad and all, but suffocation? That was just cruel and unnecessary.

Now, she stalked down the corridor and found the person she was looking for.

"Lieutenant Hamlet? A word, please?"

Hamlet was walking the halls, surveying the damage to some of the power conduits, on his way to deck four. He looked up to the sound of Sarissa's voice, gazing at her for a moment, seeing the fury in her eyes; the same look Cre'el often gave him.

"How may I help you doctor? Walk with me." He gestured down the corridor.

Sarissa lifted an eyebrow and fell into step.

"Was it really necessary to suffocate a bunch of Tzenkethi? Yes, I know they're bad. But it's completely uncalled for to suffocate them! I watched one of them die, and let me tell you, it was not pleasant for either party! They could have been taken prisoner, with a painless dose of sedatives. But nooo, you just had to suck away all of the air they were breathing and let them suffer!" she ranted.

"The reality of my choice hasn't quite set in yet.... But it will in time." He paused, wiping his mouth and chin. "I made a judgement call, doctor, to save the lives of our people on the ground; they would have been overrun and the rest of the ship would have been in danger. We could have taken them prisoner, but the Tzenkethi do not surrender, and again they would have killed as many as possible. I redirected the power from the life support in those sections, to reinforce the shields and the weapons; to prevent anymore of them getting aboard."

"I understand your reservations, your disgust... your anger. But let me ask you one question... Do you have children?"

That hit a nerve with Sarissa.

"No," she replied quietly, "I don't have any children. Why? How is that relevant to killing so many in such a painful way?"

"My children are aboard this ship; with me and wife. I am also the temporary guardian of another two. Whenever I have a difficult choice, I think of what the outcome could be for them; and I will do anything to protect them." He lowered his tone somewhat, sighing. "Despite what people think of Klingons, I prefer peace over war, I do not find pleasure in killing... the glory of battle is an illusion."

It almost looked as if tears were swelling up in his eye. "I am a scientist. A scholar. But we are at war, sometimes we must do things that we don't want to. And despite how gruesome; what I did was quick and efficient, with minimal casualties on our side. And in that as best that could of been achieved. You may think that callous.... but I know it was.... Sometimes we must do things that we don't want to."

"Oh believe me, Lieutenant, I know of doing things I disagree with. Half of me is repelled at being in Starfleet. While I can... understand your reasons, surely there were other ways?" The Tzenkethi would have surrendered if they were unconcious because instead of sucking the air out, someone put a canister of anesthezine in the air ducts for those sections. Anything else could have been done!"

"In the heat of battle, you are blinded by fire; I knew that there were other options, but I opted for the one I could implent the fastest... in the chaos. I will have to live with that choice, knowing exactly how they suffered; but when I look into my children's eyes, when I see you or the captain or any other member of this crew... I will always know in the end that I made the right choice."

"For now though; I am going to pay my respects to the dead." The faintest remnants of his warrior's spirit tugged at his heart. "So I can sing to them a song of their people, so their souls can know that I did not kill them in hate."

He thought about something she said, about Starfleet, and looked a her with sad eyes; the proverbial penny dropping. "I am... truly sorry for what befell your people, and what you may have lost yourself. If there if is anything I have learned of your people it's that: You are Romulan, and you will overcome. You overcame The Sundering, you will overcome now."

"I dream of a day when all our peoples will have more than just declarations of peace; a day when what I can only call the Successor to the Federation brings in a new era of prosperity, of scientific discovery and unity of all." He thought about the Tzenkethi in the now. "But today is not that day it seems."

Sarissa thought about that for a moment before replying, "Maybe so. Maybe it was the right choice. It certainly doesn't mean I like it, but that could be part of the reason I became a doctor, because I hate seeing people suffer."

After a moment more of thought, she continued, "Declarations of peace may be a start, but they can be easily betrayed. Maybe one day we can even settle into a peace treaty with the Tzenkethi, but considering how much they hate the Federation, that may be a very cold day in hell. Until then, I agree. Today is not the day for peace."

"And..." she said rapidly with a slightly wavering grin, "As much as it does hurt my Romulan pride to say this: I am sorry for second-guessing you like that. I guess I wasn't seeing the bigger picture and was only focusing on that pacifist part of me at the moment."

"Its quite alright doctor." He sighed. "In times like these... we must always remember to never forget what we stand for. Starfleet is a naval force of scientists, explorers and doctors... we're supposed to be peacekeepers and humanitarians. Some people have forgotten that; and it pleases me to know that our Chief Medical Officer has not."

"It is your duty and your right to ask questions, to second guess decisions, and bring up the moral implications our actions. Among the hardest positions to be in, during a war, is a doctor. To do no harm, whilst so much is happening around you."

"Oh, I truly am discovering that part right now. I... hate that it has to be during a war that any of us can really question ourselves, because we can never truly do that in peacetime. In any conflict, we always try to stick to our duties and our morals, but I guess it's just a matter of time before we fail. They certainly don't teach that at the Academy..."

"But even with or without what the Academy teaches, I suppose that I can't really be angry for long, because I have a feeling that if I were in your place, I probably would have done the same thing. I don't know about you, but I really am glad that more people were saved. It certainly makes less work for me and my staff!"

"Only in the darkness can we truly see the light. I don't agree that we shall inevitably fail our ideals; we only fail them when we let ourselves do so. The best resistance is to find an anchor; someone or something to affix our faith to. I anchor myself to my family, my friends, and my old students."

"What I did... I'm not proud of; is was a strategic victory but a moral failure, but our people being alive is a consolidation prize. Retrospectively I feel that I did those Tzenkethi a favour; we could have kept them as prisoners of war, but when this is all over, the Coalition will have wanted them back... and ultimately their deaths will not have come quickly."

"Would you care to join me in paying respects. Any Rihan sentiments to my tlhIngan ones'"

"Honestly, I hope that they meet the Final Review in the Halls of Erebus well."

Lieutenant

Re: More Than Just A Bruise

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:34 am

She barely managed to make it to her quarters after pulling the longest shift she'd ever managed in Sickbay.

Sarissa staggered into her quarters and as soon as the door slid shut, she slumped to the floor and leaned against the door.

It couldn't have been any more hellish. Six medical personnel had been killed, several wounded, and she didn't know the counts from the other departments. But... she could feel everything. The pain, the fear, the determination, the failing of hope, and dear Elements, the death. Feeling someone die, empathically, wasn't the same as watching it... it was... awful because one could feel every single one of their emotions as they died and is was horrible.

She suddenly felt something wet on her face and reached up to palm it off, thinking it was just sweat before she remembered that she didn't usually sweat... no, she was... crying?

"What...?" Sarissa muttered to herself as she struggled to stand and make her way over to her mirror, where she saw just how awful she looked.

Her hair was completely out of its bun at this point and hung limply around her face. She looked pale enough she would have told herself to get to Sickbay. And there were tear tracks on her face.

How did she not notice she'd been crying? What the hell was this? Had she really been that detached?

Sarissa's stomach chose to rumble, but she didn't want to eat, she couldn't, because she kept seeing and feeling all of the death and destruction and pain and it hurt.

"I think I'll just sleep..." she mumbled to herself as she stumbled over to her bed and hit it face first, not even bothering to remove her boots. It had been too long of a day.

Yet, sleep was elusive and refused to come, no matter how hard she tried.

Finally, she swore to herself and decided against going to sleep. After all, who knew all the faces she'd end up seeing in her dreams. So, she supposed maybe she could go roam the corridors like she'd taken to lately when she couldn't sleep.

And roam she did, completely lost in her own thoughts. So lost, in fact, that Sarissa didn't even notice the other people wandering the corridors. Maybe it was for the best. If any of these sleepless wanderers noticed each other, it would lead to an awkward attempt at conversation, like a few nights ago when some nameless ensign from operations had tried to play counselor. That had been annoying at best.

The one good point in her thoughts was about what she wanted to do over shore leave. Maybe find a nice beach somewhere and someone to talk to. Who knew? It was a universe of possibilities out there...

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: CMO Lt. JG Sarissa

Postby James Greenman » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:03 am

Absolutely fantastic logs, Vanessa. Sarissa has gone through hell and back the last few weeks, I think she'll enjoy some time out.
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Lieutenant

Distractions

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:42 pm

Sarissa was going through her clothes, trying to find some that hadn't been dirtied by the battle. Most of it needed a good wash, but some was okay.

"Oh no," she muttered, pulling out an incredibly tacky shirt that someone at the Academy had once gotten her as a joke. The damned thing was untouched and still in good condition.

She had tried for three years to get rid of it. She had tried washing it wrong, getting it completely filthy, and even trying to just rip the thing.

It still looked as new as the day she got it. It was quite literally indestructable.

"Ew, no," she said as she tossed it aside, reaching for something else.

She wound up with a light green dress that hadn't been worn in years. It was a bit singed near the bottom, but decent enough.

Seeing the damage to several of her other items of clothing, especially her favorite skirt, she sighed.

"I need to get this all replaced. If only I knew what half of this was made out of. Stupid replicator would probably misread anything I say..."

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: Distractions

Postby James Greenman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:34 am

Vanessa Brinkman wrote:"I need to get this all replaced. If only I knew what half of this was made out of. Stupid replicator would probably misread anything I say..."

ACTION: The replicator spits out nothing out frilly lingerie :riker:
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Lieutenant

Re: CMO Lt. JG Sarissa

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:03 am

*glares at it all* Dammit James

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Sentinel