CSO Lieutenant Junior Grade Hamlet

Forum for the U.S.S. Sentinel, running every Monday at 2100 EST. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: James Greenman

Lieutenant
Pezzley Snipes

The Family Of My Friend Is My Family: Part 2

Postby Andrew Rice » Tue May 12, 2015 1:38 am

Hamlet was met off Hippocrates' transporter pad by Doctor Clemens, whom delicately shook his hand.
"It's a pleasure to meet you Mr Hamlet." His accent was stronger in person. "I wish it were under better circumstances."
"As do I Doctor." They quickly left the transporter room and made their way to sickbay.

"So tell me Doctor... how bad is it?"
Clemens looked at him with eyes Hamlet knew all too well from his wife. "It's bad Lieutenant... I couldn't even give you odds if I'm honest." He sighed. "And.... he's one of the lucky ones."
Hamlet raised his eyebrow curiously at the doctor's comment. "Lucky?"
"Not the best choice of words I admit; but four other people died in that same collapse... that we know of. Apparently it was an absolute scramble to find and retrieve survivors."

They went silent for a few moments; both of honouring those who were unable to be saved, before entering the turbolift and directing it to sickbay.

"What about Sasha?"
"She's another story entirely. Physically she's now perfectly healthy; the arm and the burns weren't hard to fix up, but psychologically; I've never encountered Betazoid twins before, and the nostalgically superstitious part of me wants to believe twins have a strange connection the best of times... so I cannot begin to imagine what she's going through. She hasn't even left his side since they got here; patched her up and she sat by him. I gave her a sedative to keep her out for eight hours, she was up in three."

The turbolift halted and the doors opened; both of them moving quickly onwards to sickbay. Hamlet shook his head as he though the could hear crying, but it wasn't coming from anywhere in the corridor.

"You ok Hamlet?" The doctor asked with concern.
"I could hear..." Clemens cut him off.
"Crying inside your head?"
"Yeah...." He looked puzzled. "How did you know? Can you hear it?"
"Noooo.... We're nearly at sickbay.... Sasha is emitting a short range low level psionic field. Something to do with her bereavement... I'm surprised you can hear it, mainly only other telepaths can."
"Ah, I've known a few and my wife's Vulcan."
"So you're probably more attuned to it, I supposed."
Hamlet gave a puzzled look and shrugged. "Maybe. Its a bit unsettling though."
"Well if she goes any deeper into it, she'll end up catatonic. And we could lose both of them."
"The boy's not dead yet doctor."

The sickbay doors swished open as the two men strode in. Clemens directed Hamlet to Mordecai's bed, and patted him on the back reassuringly. "I will leave you to it Lieutenant. Call me if you need anything. And don't push her too hard."
Hamlet nodded solemnly in return. "Of course. But she may need a slight push."

He approached the bed cautiously. Sasha was sat beside Mordecai, watching him every moment, whilst holding his hand, tears streaming down her face. But she was completely silent.

"Miss Douglas.... Sasha?" He called softly to her from the foot of the bed."
She glanced her eyes to the side at him. Glaring. «What do you want Klingon?»
"Its polite to reply verbally when addressed so."
"What do you want Klingon!"
"Better..." He pulled up a chair and sat down. "My name is..."
"Hamlet. Lieutenant Junior Grade. First son of Kretok of the House HoQaa." She said coldly.
"If you're gonna read my mind, then you will know why I'm here."
Her expression relaxed slightly. "Brother sent you." Then she tensed up again. "Why couldn't he be here?"
"If he could be, don't you think he would be?"
"Because he doesn't care about us really, he never cared about us."
"He is one of the finest men I've ever met, and there is nothing more important to him than family."
"But I need him now." She began to tremble; then turned to look at Mordecai before breaking down. "I can't hear his thoughts anymore." She slumped over crying, Hamlet catching her and slightly awkwardly cradling her to comfort her. "I can't hear his thoughts anymore. How am I going to live without him?"
"Shhh. Let it out child. It'll be okay. You will both survive this. I promise."

He sat there with her for a long, long while until she stopped crying. He went to talk to her, only to realise she had cried herself to sleep. He gave a heart wrenched smile at her, picked her up like he would his own child and carried her off. He stopped by Clemens, to talk to him again.

"Doctor."
"Where are you going with her?"
"She can stay with me, my wife and my kids. And I need to make arrangements for him."
"We've been over this Lieutenant he cannot be beamed aboard, and she will not be parted with him. And they both need professional attention."
"Exactly, they can't be apart, but she is coming with me now. And we will have to move him the old fashioned way; with a shuttle."
"Mr Hamlet...I....must protest"
"My wife is a doctor. A damn good doctor, so is our cheif medical officer. He will have the finest care taken of him, his sister will be nearby, and we will most likely be moving in the direction of their older brother... who deserves to be with them both as soon as...."
"My hands are tied for the moment. You can take the girl now, since she is physically fine, but I require transferral authorisation from your CMO or another high ranking doctor on board your ship."
Hamlet held Sasha close as he turned leave sickbay. "You'll have it within the hour."
Vincit Omnia Veritas - The truth conquers all things.

TAC - LtJG. Soule Douglas - USS Hyperion NCC-77989 / S.T.A.R. ECS
ENG - Lt. Ilaihr - USS Atlantis NCC-1021-D
CSO - LtJG. Hamlet - USS Sentinel NCC-79088

Lieutenant

Re: SCI Lieutenant Junior Grade Hamlet

Postby Babette C » Tue May 12, 2015 3:21 am

omigoodness those last couple of logs are heart wrenching.. well done Andrew.
CMO - Lt. Isabelle Rousseau - USS Hyperion NCC-77989
AMB - Lt. JG Rebecca Terell - USS Sentinel NCC-79088

Lieutenant
Pezzley Snipes

Stardate: 11505.11

Postby Andrew Rice » Mon May 18, 2015 11:28 pm

"Science Officer's log. There is alot going on at the moment. Mordecai is under the expert care of Cre'el in sickbay; he's still not really responding to treatment, but I have faith that he'll pull through. Sasha seems to be settling in nicely, the girls like her; I'm hoping the children can distract her a little bit from what she's experiencing.
There has been a murder on board; I'm not a part of the investigation, but I've heard there is the possibility of a cloaked assassin. Security need to make some tachyon scans as the most definitive way to located such an individual, failing that they will need to scan for residual anti-protons... although... a cloak can't hide smells... perhaps.... maybe...
But yes anyway our other problem, my problem; is that we have a fleet of ships within an area of space of disruptive and unstable subspace pockets. The ships cannot engage warp engines, and as such are engaging their sublight drives. A journey that will take well over a year. Where I come into this is thinking of a solution for them.... I have a few hours to answer a question that has been plaguing scientist for centuries; How to go faster than light without warp drive. I think I'm good scientist... but this.... this may very well be beyond me."

Lieutenant
Pezzley Snipes

The Family Of My Friend Is My Family: Part 3

Postby Andrew Rice » Tue May 19, 2015 1:40 am

Sasha murmured as she slowly woke, sniffling from the crying the night before, her eyes blinking open and closed a few times; before openingly fully in confusion as she beheld a small pointy-eared child clutching a blanket stood before her, giggling.

"HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII THERE!!!!!" The girl shouted with great enthusiasm.
Slightly unsettled, Sasha sat up against the wall slowly. "Hiii..... who are you?" She asked cautiously.
"I'm Tarya, I'm four. You're pretty. How long will you be staying with us?"
"Ummmm. Hi. Thankyou and..." She looked around the room; it a wash of technicolour and hand-drawn pictures, with four equally spaced beds and an assortment of toys and models and oddly for a child's bedroom homemade scientific equipment. "Where am I exactly?"
"In mine and my sisters' bedroom." She replied brusquely.
"But where....?" Sasha started getting worried uncomfortable.

Tarya placed her hand on Sasha's face gently; suddenly she could hear child's laughter in her head, with brief flashes of children playing; she was overcome by waves of soothing energy and slowly became more at ease. Tarya removed her hand and took Sasha's, smiling as she insistently tried to pull her up.

"Come on. Its time for breakfast!"

Sasha relented; standing up and following the bizarre little girl out of the room. The door swished open as they stepped out into the living room, where Sasha was met by two pubescent teenage boys leant up against the wall.

"Wow... you're pretty."
"Fucking angel more like."
"GO AWAY STUPID HEADS!" Tarya screamed at them, giving one of a boot to the shin.

They backed off slowly.

Tarya looked up and laughed. "That was Arthus and Thomaz. They suuuuuuuuuck." She continued walking her across the room towards the sofa. "Like... they really suuuuuuuuck."
Sasha laughed; something she hadn't done in a while. "I'm sure they're ok."
"No seriously, they suck. They super duper suck. They super duper drill-a-hole-in-your-skull-with-a-spatula suck."

Sasha looked really puzzled at Tarya, the strangest little girl she had ever met in her life. They sat down on the sofa and were soon joined by two other girls.

"Hi. You must be Sasha." Said the oldest girl. "I'm Miral."
"Hi." She replied.
"And I'm Sames." Said the other.
"So do you girls know where I am?"
"You're on the USS Sentinel. This is our mum and dad's quarters. Our dad brought you home early this morning; mum wunni best pleased at first, especially when dad made her go in a shuttle with him... but it's ok now." Miral explained.
"Your dad's Mr. Hamlet?" She suddenly became panicked as she remembered Mordecai. She tried to stand up, but was stopped by the girls. "My brother is still on the other ship!"
"No he's not. That's what we're saying. Mum and dad went and brought him aboard as soon as they put you to bed. He's in sickbay and mum's taking care of him." Miral continued. "Dad said you can stay with us for a while."

Sasha relaxed a little, but was still anxious to get back with her brother. She fidgeted as she eyed up the door. Tarya suddenly jumped on her lap.

"You're our new sister." She gave a toothy grin. "And you're first mission as big sister is to eat some.... BREAKFAST!!!!!!" She shouted as she jumped up and down.
"Tarya quit it!" Snapped Sames.
"What!? She has to eat breakfast before she does anything! It's the most important meal of the day. Mummy says so!" She snapped backed.

Miral focused her mind and began communicating with Sasha; since the other two were now going to argue, and there is no way they'd be able to hear each other over it.

«So, what would you like to eat?» She asked politely
«I'm... not hungry…… You're telepathic?»
«We all are to some extent, except dad. It's easier to communicate with you because you're one too. And you have to have something to eat. Although loud...Tarya's right.»
«Honestly I....»
«Pancakes and waffles it is then.» She walked off to the replicator to fetch Sasha her breakfast; whether she wanted it or not.

Sasha just sat there, looking up at the ceiling for a moment, before looking around the room then back to the girls; in particular the one on her lap. Her lips started to quiver and shake, before breaking into a smile. A proper smile. She hugged Tarya, resting her chin atop the girl's head; Tarya hugging Sasha's arms back. Sasha could hear people inside and outside her head again... she felt less alone, and safe.

Lieutenant

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Tue May 19, 2015 1:46 am

Yay happy feels!
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Lieutenant
Pezzley Snipes

The Family Of My Friend Is My Family: Part 4

Postby Andrew Rice » Tue May 26, 2015 1:27 am

The heart monitor blipped slowly to a consistent rhythm, whilst the brain activity meter gave a dull almost lifeless tone. Mordecai's breathing was made heavy by the ventilator; in and out, in and out, in and out.

Cre'el watched over him with her all seeing Vulcan gaze. He was still in a critical condition; however she was more familiar with the type of injury the boy had, than Clemens seemed to; so her treatment had had some positive affect. She had managed to reduce the intracranial pressure and repair some of the areas of focal and diffuse damage to his brain, but there was still much to do and a long way to go. She noted how surprisingly little damage was actually done to the skull itself, as opposed to the massive brain trauma.

She began to talk to him in the very faint Scottish accent she had picked up from all the years with her husband. "Can you hear me master Douglas?" She asked in a motherly fashion.

Gently placing her finger tips on his temples, she decided to try a less conventional method of treatment. She gently attempted to probe his mind, to open up any conscious cracks and help Moredcai leave the deep confines. She gazed up at the brain monitor, which showed no change, no deviation from a baseline; his mind appeared to have simply shut itself down.

"You are the spitting image of your brother, I must say. And it seems you are equally stubborn." She huffed at him. "I never quite understood what my husband saw in your brother, but now that you and Sasha are hear with us, it reminds me of why I love my husband. I have never known another Klingon to show such love and compassion as he. It's why I'm here trying to bring you back, when I'm almost certain you are lost to us. It would break his heart."

She continued to delicately sift through the almost deafening static within his mind; it was difficult to focus passed the noise and on the task without pushing too hard. "You are in there somewhere. There are strands of it that I keep glimpsing briefly. You need to help me a little bit." She sighed. "I know what you survived as a baby, what your older brother endured to keep you and your sisters alive. I sense that you look up to him, and that he would tell you to fight... and you need to fight."

The monitor was still dull.

She wiped her brow, then her eyes, and looked away in sadness, and began to add to her running report on Mordecai's progress.
"I am not a strong enough telepath to break through the psychoneural shell that enshrouds his conscious mind.... despite quite amazing leaps in the fields of neurology and neurophysiology, the brain is still the most complex and mysterious object in the known universe. And although I am a doctor and a scientist... some parts of it are still very much embodied by magic and spiritualism. While the physical damage is almost repaired, it is the non-physical that may require the most work. And there is simply no-one on board with the necessary telepathic training to help him with that. It is my hope that his brain activity will normalise once the damage fully recovers, but if it does not; I am running out of options."

She held his hand and instinctively stroked his head. "But I will do everything in my power. I promise."
Last edited by Andrew Rice on Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Tue May 26, 2015 12:43 pm

great log Andrew :)
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Lieutenant
Pezzley Snipes

The Family Of My Friend Is My Family: Part 5

Postby Andrew Rice » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:49 am

Sickbay was quiet, the calm before the storm some might say; Sentinel was twelve hours out from the battle and everywhere was abuzz with repairs and commotion; but sickbay was quiet. Hamlet had taken a few moments away from the bridge, to update Mordecai on their situation. He parked up a seat next to the boys bed, sighing to himself as he reclined, attempting to break the silence gently before speaking.

"I see you're still asleep." He sounded almost disapproving. "You have to wake up lad. You canni stay like this.... Sasha needs you, and what would yer brother say? I have an idea; a choice few colourful words... but he would plead with you to wake up. Soule is no' a man to fall to his knees 'n' beg, but he would for you."

"Did you ever see 'im when he was at the academy? I don't suppose you did. He was a..... ach, le's no' mince me words.... was little fookin' shite. He didn't acclimate easily. He was blunt and rude, bledy arrogant; by god he was arrogant, he was also mysterious; not alot of people know alot about 'im and that gap in his background report.... had a few of the wigs concerned and suspicious. And then he started getting into trouble. It wasn't until then that I really noticed him; he did very well in my classes, very few Humans click when it comes to Klingon politics and the like; but I didn't give him much thought, because it never seemed there was anything special about 'im. Until I saw him fight."

"Now regardless of what any bastard tells ya; the academy is no' perfect, and nor are the students. It is a meritocracy, which is a reasonable thing to be, but there are students who rise off of their parents or grandparents merits... like an aristocracy. That, right there, breeds the worst cadets; students of privilege, something the academy board will vehemently deny exists."

"So anyway, there are half a dozen of these jocks, and they essentially bullied this one smaller and weaker student. Boy was a genius... but his handicap prevented from being particularly physical.... so he was easy game. They're wailing on him, badly, and he canni defend himself, he's on the floor and they're kicking him whilst he's down... then your brother showed up."

"He charged in knocked 'em about 'n' he picked this kid up... told him to go, that he'd deal with it. Of course they thought they were something special; he hurt their pride more than anything up until that point. So they thought they could 'ave 'im cuz y'know, he canni take 'em by surprise this time. They were wrong. Very wrong. Round 2 'n' he did not go easy on them. By the time security finally showed their faces on the scene; they all had broken ribs, fractured pelvises, cracked skulls and a number of other injuries. Security arrested Soule, of course. Come disciplinary hearing, and these boys are tryna say he started it, he attacked them... for no reason. And the security footage of the incident was suspiciously missing."

"Turns out, those boys tampered with the security system before doing what they did. And it wasn't the first time. After a full and unbiased investigation; it was discovered that this group of privileged young men had taken up assault and psychological intimidation as a hobby. Finding the pattern of what they did, eventually uncovered the recordings hidden deep inside the main computer. The charges against Soule were dropped when the footage was brought to the hearing, and so were those boys; their conduct was deemed abhorrent and they were thrown out of the academy faster than a Ferengi will palm a bar of latinum."

"I watched that footage, ooohhh, twenty times, never gets old. But I saw something. It was the way your brother fought; there were flares to his movements that... a Klingon would teach to his son. I was intrigued. Eventually I got to know Soule. I got to know some of the troubles he'd been through in his life, and that he had knowledge of things he most definitely shouldn't have. So I learnt to understand him. To push him. Make him a better, more well rounded person. He had lost his way, a long time ago. And along with me and a few other professors at the academy... we moulded him back into a human being. To this day... he is my most prized student. He's no' perfect, he still gets in trouble... but he's particular; he always does something for a good reason, even if you can't see it, understand it or even agree with it."

Hamlet rested hand on Mordecai's, and sighed. "We are en route to a battle that your brother will most definetly be in. You are nearly home. You need to wake up."

Suddenly Mordecai's body began convulsing violently, the brain and heart monitors both became sirens. Hamlet leapt from his seat and started screaming for a doctor; they quickly came as the silence shattered. Moving Hamlet to one side they did their scans and prepared numerous hyposprays, administering them all in quick succession to hopefully stabilise the boy. After fifteen minutes or so of frantic work, the monitors wound down, back to a steady bleep.

The on duty doctor turned away from the boy, shooing Hamlet away from the biobed to speak to him. "Lieutenant... I know you and doctor Cre'el are working hard on this...but..." She gazed over her shoulder to Mordecai, then back to Hamlet. "He's dying. If we can't wake him up in the next few days.... he will never wake up. Maybe you should talk to his sister, and make arrangements... for letting him go." She rested her hand on his shoulder for a moment, before moving off to continue her work.

Hamlet stared over at Mordecai with sadness in his eyes, with a glint of defiance. "You are going to win that battle, boy; just as we are going to win ours.... I promise you. Just keep fighting, for a wee bit longer."

Lieutenant

Postby Vanessa Brinkman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:10 am

That little sound you heard? Yeah, that was probably me getting hit right in the feels. Not expecting that one.
SCI Lt. T'Lira, USS Atlantis
CMO Lt. Sarissa t'Kaveth, USS Sentinel
CTO Lt. Noemi Idaris, Sigma Rho

Lieutenant
Pezzley Snipes

Postby Andrew Rice » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:01 am

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Sentinel