Mission Arc #2 - Stranded

Forum for the U.S.S. Sentinel, running every Monday at 2100 EST. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, and post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: James Greenman

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Mission Arc #2 - Stranded

Postby James Greenman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:46 pm

Prologue - "Enthusiasm"

"Have you got it yet?"

"Yup, coming into range of the geological telescope now."

"Just let me know when you have a lock. They're going to be close, we could probably get a shuttle over there for some spelunking."

"Aye, sir. I don't see what the big deal is though, it's just a pack of asteroids.

Lieutenant Bradley Spencer had been onboard this scientific outpost for almost 18 months and the entire time he'd been waiting for this momentous occasion. He turned in his seat and gave Crewman Durst a bit of a dirty look, after all this was to aid in part of his life's work!

"Well, crewman, about ten million years ago, two dwarf planets collided in the Barradus system, scattering pieces of those two planetoids int-"

"Yes, I know what happened, I just don't know why this is so important." Durst interrupted, wisely keeping his head down towards the console, beginning meteorological and geological scans of the different chunks of rock. "I mean, asteroid packs aren't that common, sure. I will admit that the way their own gravity keeps them in close proximity while they fly through space is pretty neat, but there's not going to be anything on them. It's just dead rock."

Spencer slumped a little in his chair, his bottom lip dropping into a sullen pout. Why didn't anyone else understand this? It's a magnificent display, and this one was going to be all his! The Bradley Cluster! Or the Spencer Asteroidal Cloud! He'd dreamed of having his name attached to something, some stellar phenomenon, since he was a child and this was his chance. It'd been passed over by Starships for the last century, but now it was coming close enough to the outpost for them to not only get sensor readings but to launch and attach monitoring probes - maybe even get one caught in the gravitational field!

With his mood improved, Spencer sat up a little straighter in his chair and got to work. "Notify torpedo control, we're going to need control of the guidance systems for a little while and have them load a suite of probes in the magazine. I'm going to start picking out good spots for target locations, and then speak to Lieutenant Deelan in stellar astrogation and see if we can get the lateral palette a little bit early - she owes me a favour."

His enthusiasm rekindled, despite Durst's naysaying, they got to work setting everything up.

Two days later...

Spencer screamed, collapsing into the room and slamming the panel to close the door with his elbow, clutching the gaping wound in his upper arm. Blood soaked the uniform and his hand, dripping onto the floor as he shakily locked the door behind him. His eyes were wide in the dark, red dimness of emergency lighting, his face looking pale and drawn out.

A booming, horrendous screeching noise sounded through the door right before something slammed into it from the other side, Spencer crying out and stumbling away further into the small medical bay. He watched as the door bent inwards in several places, scrambling backwards to get further away while the banging and crashing when on and on until finally, with his back against the wall, flinching and keeping his eyes squeezed closed...it stopped. He cowered against the wall for a little while longer, waiting for his heartbeat to slow down, then finally peeked and saw nothing - just the bent and hammered door.

Somewhere in his mind, he knew he had to get help. For himself and for everyone else. With effort he pushed himself to his feet and began staggering around the room, looking for something to fix his arm before and then - hopefully - the rest of the station.
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: Mission Arc #2 - Stranded

Postby James Greenman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:02 pm

Mission Orders, Stardate 11408.04

TO: Commander Officer, Commander Nikolay Yeremenko
CC: Executive Officer, Lieutenant Commander Claire Stradiot

Congratulations on completing your shakedown cruise as well as rescuing the crew of the U.S.S. Maubry. We expected great things from the Sentinel when she launched, we just weren't expecting them so soon after leaving Utopia Planetia - Well done.

We're going to have to divert you from your trip to Starbase 123 for the time being. Three days ago we lost contact with one of our scientific outposts near the Barradas system; We dispatched the U.S.S. Monmouth to investigate and render assistance. The outpost was studying a nearby asteroid cluster that was due to pass very close to the station, we fear some of the asteroids may have collided with them. However...We received a single transmission from the Monmouth stating that they had arrived and that the outpost was quiet before she too went dark.

As the closest combat-capable Starship in the area, we're ordering you to investigate the loss of contact from the Monmouth and the outpost. The proximity to the Neutral Zone is making some people a little jumpy and giving them reason to believe this may not have been an accident. You're to keep your eyes peeled for any Romulan activity.

Good luck, Captain.

Admiral Ren Tolar
Starfleet Command.
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Ensign

Postby Swiss Knight » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:55 pm

To: All Senior Officers, USS Sentinel.

It seems we've been sent into another mystery situation. Starfleet Command has lost contact with both a scientific outpost in the Barradas System and the U.S.S. Monmouth that was sent to investigate.

All: Until we arrive we have no real indication as to the cause of loss of contact with the system and we must assume every possibility. Attend to your stations and prepare for rescue efforts. While there is no indication that any foreign power is involved, our proximity to the neutral zone must be taken into account.

XO: Depending on the situation once we arrive, it may be necessary to send an away team to the station, the Monmouth, or both. Make all the required preparations.

Yeremenko out

Ensign

Postby Andy Cotterly » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:00 pm

To: All Senior Officers, USS Sentinel

Alright, We're going to have to set up an away team to head over to the downed station to see if we can figure out where everyone is.

TAC/CSO/ENG: I want you with me. Let's see if we can try to get this station up and running again. If we can accomplish that, we'll move over to the ship and solve that problem.

OPS/SCI: I'm going to have to have you analyze what we're dealing with. Try getting the Sentinel out of whatever we're stuck in.

NAV: Coordinate with OPS and SCI with their efforts. As the CO is indisposed at the moment, you'll have the con.

Away team is to meet me in Transporter Room 1.

Stradiot Out.

Ensign

Postby Andy Cotterly » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:59 pm

We're in a very dire situation right now...Keep in mind, all of you, that none of us are completely safe. I think we can reason that what happened on the station and what happened on the ship are going to be very similar.

TAC/CSO/ENG: While the ships are not from this area, this station could've been built right inside the web....we just barged into their home. Be on alert. We may not like what happened in Main Engineering, but regardless of what happens, if there's no way to save the lifesigns we're seeing, we're getting out. When I give the order to retreat, be sure to follow. We'll need to get back to transporter range while avoiding these spiders...

OPS/SCI: If and when we get back, we're going to need to get out of this. Find a way to move the ship. If we have to blast our way out, make it so.

NAV: You should know the protocol for a quarantine at this point...If the situation demands it, we need to keep everything and everyone away from this place.

I hate spiders....

Stradiot Out.

Ensign

Postby Swiss Knight » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:20 pm

I leave for a second and the ship is covered in spiders.

XO/CSO/ENG: Continue working on finding any way to rescue crewman who may be still alive on board the station. I’d also like to see if we can work out a way to neutralize every creature on the station if and when our rescue is complete. Probably also a good idea to see if there is any way to assist in the removal of the webs preventing beamout from your position.

OPS/SCI: We’ve made good progress on getting the Sentinel free of these webs, keep those pulses coming. We need to do everything we can to get those things off the hull. I’d also like to verify that these strands are originating from that asteroid cluster.

NAV: Once we’re completely free, I’d like to see if we can’t turn the Sentinel into a sort of Icebreaker. If we can find a way to neutralize these webs effectively and efficiently, I’d like to put the Sentinel to work on removing them from this entire area of space.

TAC: If even one of those things gets on board I want it killed before it can do any sort of damage. Mobilize our security teams at any likely entry points and prepare to seal off sections of the ship if necessary.
Yeremenko out

Ensign

Postby Swiss Knight » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:22 am

TAC: I want every spider in this system dead, on our next pass fire 60 Quantum Torpedoes at the asteroid cluster.

OPS/CSO: There's a possibility the destruction of the asteroids may not completely clear this section of space, and we still need to worry about what to do with the Station. If we can formulate a method to clear the station while leaving it intact, that would be best, if not we should make plans to destroy it too.

NAV: Please stop punching that guy.

XO: Find out why Marsland punched that guy.

Return to U.S.S. Sentinel