Character Ideas

Discuss everything to do with the game here. Your ships, character story arcs, plots, plans and ideas are all fair game. If it's In-Universe, then it's in here.
Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Character Ideas

Postby James Greenman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:27 pm

We've all had some idea in our heads for a character, either something silly or funny, or something serious that you'd really like to roleplay. Drop them in this thread and get some discussion going, and maybe something here will spur someone to start a second character, if you're lurking give you an idea for your first! :toot:

I've always loved character struggles, and I have always wanted to try and make a character who was...just good enough, y'know? Someone struggled to get through Academy, fights tooth and nail for every accomplishment, has to think for a moment before plotting a course and doing warp speed calculations, or always taking a second to figure out which tool was which in Engineering, or couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a phaser. Obviously it'd be a challenge, Starfleet only accepts capable students, so whoever it is would have to constantly skirt the line. Kind of like a Barclay character, but a little less shy and a little more slow. I can just imagine after years of playing, finally hitting Lieutenant Commander, some real growth beneath their belt. It'd be glorious!

What ideas do all of you have?
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Lieutenant JG

Re: Character Ideas

Postby Riccardo Fabris » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:37 pm

Pakled.

Lieutenant JG

Postby Riccardo Fabris » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 pm

On a more serious note, I tend to write characters that have a single very strong theme, either something that they are good at or something they are just obsessed about and work from there. I do like to make them proficient at the object of their obsession, but this doesn't mean that I create one-note characters. They tend to be counter-balanced by a strong weakness as well. Most of my character design really stems from that strength/weakness and builds from there, or even just a character concept I find interesting. I tend to make the weakness something that is not obviously a positive trait within for the position that the character holds: for example, Kalem is an extremely friendly guy and also a CSEC, Sadin is the CO of the Saturn but usually doesn't have a forceful presence, Dimak is a Saurian alcoholic who drives spaceships. I tend to try not to make my character super-geniuses who excel at everything they do, but I do like them at least competent.

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:48 pm

When I crate a character or an NPC, I start with the walk.
I know, it sounds odd, but a walk will get you half way home in an instant. Does your character stride, stomp, trot, slink? It's all in there for me.

I have a tendency to write female characters with strong opinions, and stronger faults.

Kesh Suder (CO USS Hooke) is a stubborn lady who is quick to judge and slow to trust. She strides, back straight, and turns on her heel.

She has a complicated relationship with pretty much everyone, and has always responded very oddly to disagreements and conflict. I have no idea where this came from, cause I don't do it myself, but the quickest way to be dismissed by her is to try and please her. She will, conversely, be drawn to anyone who clashes with her, despite how much effort she puts into denying any form of attraction. She's always tense, economic with her gestures and her facial expressions, and would prefer to stay silent than to ask questions. The only time you'll get any real feeling out of her is when she's sparring on the holodeck, or fighting a living opponent. Then all the tension and stress, the desperation and the need for physical contact some rolling out in one manic wave. It is a lot of fun to write. :)

Least, that's how it's always been before. She's a CO now. I suspect this dynamic may change now that she's on the top of the pyramid.

---

The opposite goes for Niamh Danann (former XO, USS Kraken, decommissioned), though. She trots, using the sides of bulkheads to sling shot herself into rooms and around corners. She rarely sits still for long.

Her relationships are simple. You're either a drinking buddy, a sports buddy (zero-G football), or a friend with benefits. Or a combination of the three. She never settles in one place for long, has no interest in long-term relationships or long-term conflicts, so she forgives and forgets fast. Having a lover in every port, and a drink in every bar suits her just fine. She can be very flippant, and this grates on some people.

She is my first female character to have any kind of a relationship with a subordinate officer (Adalberto, CEO, USS Kraken, decommissioned... currently on the USS Hooke). I know that shouldn't be a big deal, but playing the higher rank in a relationship was a very curious experience, having never done it before.

---

Caerys Lee (NPC, USS Hyperion) is a bundle of contradictions. She will slip into a room unnoticed, walks nervously, and never quite knows how to relax her arms, mostly keeping her hands clasped together. Until she gets nervous and starts to babble, that is. Then the arms flail and she starts hopping on the balls of her feet until she runs out of words.
She's a great doctor, but a lousy public speaker. She's a coward when it comes to speaking her mind, but is a total momma bear when a patient is in danger.

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:29 pm

I think we'll all enjoy having Kesh on top :buddy:
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:50 pm

bad-dum tshhh!

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:23 pm

Aoibhe Ni wrote:bad-dum tshhh!

:downsrim:
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager