Captain Rhodri Llewellyn Griffiths

Forum for the Sigma Rho, running every Sunday at 1900 PST/Monday at 0300 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: James Greenman

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: Captain Rhodri Llewellyn Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:05 am

Captain's Log, Stardate 11408.27

He'd had to do it. The virus or pathogen or whatever the hell it was that had been in that probe had already escaped containment - Damn Sumner - and the effects on the crew, sending them into a rage like that, meant that if any of them were affected they would lose control of their faculties and that would be the end of it. This way...they had a back out plan. Sixty minutes. They were all dead regardless, but if they couldn't cure it in 60 minutes at least it wouldn't go on to affect everyone else. The message buoy had been launched, ship-wide quarantine was in effect. Everything and everyone was doing what they should.

Intially he'd hoped to flush drive plasma throughout that deck, slag engineering and every biological in the place. Gruesome, but he knew Tony, and his last - God, not his last. - words had been to do exactly that. If only they'd caught it in time, if only it hadn't slipped containment. He caught sight of Raqiin out of the corner of his eye, he could see the look of betrayal there. And Henry, he looked like he wanted to slag a few bulkheads himself. Griff kept his calm exterior and let everyone work, get on with what they are supposed to be doing, and put a stop to this mess before it got any worse.

A small knot in the pit of his stomach contracted, a tiny bubble that told him he was being a coward. But he pushed it down, let his rational sense take over. He trusted his crew, he knew their strengths, how they would react under pressure. Sixty minutes. They could do it, they'd have to, because any other result was less than desirable.

The voice of the computer caught him out of his momentary reverie.

"Fifty-five minutes until self destruct."
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:40 pm

Captain's Log, Stardate 11409.04

He looked down the barrel of the phaser in Henry's hand, a ghost of a smile passing across his lips. The infectious spores had spread throughout the entire ship, they were likely all infected, and if his sweat-covered forehead and aching joints were enough to go by then the bacteria that they'd introduced into the atmosphere was having some effect - just not the desired one. The news from Main Engineering was that there was some sort of parasite infecting the crew, driving them insane, and not a disease. It certainly explained the crew's actions, how they suddenly cared only about prolonging their life no matter the cost, the violence he could see in Sumner's eyes. Was he the only one still holding onto his faculties? The only one still concerned about the safety of others.

The crew knew what they had signed on for when they joined Starfleet. One of their primary mandates was defense of the Federation, and a biological threat such as this was high on the list of things that shouldn't be allowed to infect others. He couldn't be sure of this parasite's intentions, sentient or not it was dangerous and insidious, the fungal spores that it used to procreate couldn't be controlled - it was just microscopic biological matter, after all, an aerosol of infectious material. It was the Borg, only without the long-winded speeches about technological superiority and perfection.

And now it had infected his crew. Griff had never thought that his first act as a newly minted Captain would be to destroy his ship and kill his crew. But...they weren't his crew anymore, they were probably already starting to be controlled by the parasites.

With little over a minute left on the countdown, he knew he'd made the right decision.

Commander

Postby Einar S » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:27 pm

Self righteous ass! hahaha

Looking forward to tomorrow night!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:20 pm

Brilliant log, James.
Pity it's the last one you'll ever write for Rhod!

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:36 pm

He had a good run. No regrets! :toot:

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:39 pm

Captain's Log, Stardate 11410.16

He woke up suddenly with a gasp, his hand shooting up and grabbing the wrist of the nurse above him holding a dermal regenerator above his forehead. His eyes widening in a slight panic as he came to, glancing up at him. The last thing he remembered was the lack of gravity, the Holodeck, something hot..The air was getting hot. Fire. Silvia...

"Silvia. The woman on the holodeck. Where is she? How long have I been out?"

"Uh...About an hour, Sir. And I don't know anything else. Commander Jameson might!"

The office standing above him looked a little taken aback and he quickly realised how tight his grip was. He let the young man go and pushed himself up, his muscles protested with a creaking ache and he could feel a sharp pain in his side which probably meant he'd cracked a rib. There was no time now, he had to find out what had happened since he was taken, what was going on now and where exactly Silvia had gotten to. Was she still stuck in the computer, was it now offline, or was she still hanging around waiting to strike.

He pushed himself off the biobed and tapped his comm badge.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:29 pm

Captain's Log, Stardate 11410.23

He sat at his desk, the ready room around him was still a mess from the battle - If he'd know it was going to happen, he'd have taken more of his personal items with him - and stared at the small memory module in front of him, the little 'Active' light twinkling off and on. He'd spent hours standing in front of a holoimager and uploading every bit of information from his psych evals, personnel files and personal information as he could before setting up the program. It felt like it wasn't enough, but it was the least he could do. She'd live on in there, her own personal universe, enough storage for a thousand lifetimes of experiences constantly changing and evolving and his doppleganger along for the ride. She was dangerous, volatile, but she wasn't evil. Not really. At least this way she'd have a chance.

He sat back in his chair with a quiet sigh, mulling over the next few days. Everything had been so hectic, Suder's death, Henry's outbursts, and this on top of it all, he'd barely had a moment to parse the information and now it was all coming to him in one go. They'd be at Earth soon, and he could already imagine the upheaval it was going to cause. He wasn't sure how much of the bridge crew would be left when all was said and done, and the thought pained him - even Henry, as belligerent and stubborn as he was, could be a talented officer if he had the impurities hammered out of him. Preferably with a 10-pound lump hammer.

Idly he spun the small, circular memory module around, twirling it with his fingers as he thought over the brief but hectic adventures they'd all had, and the life of Suder who was now cooling in their morgue, and how quickly it could all be over. When he'd activated the Self Destruct, what felt like months ago now, he'd been fully prepared to give his life in defense of the Federation. But now, looking back and thinking about it, here in this room in the quiet with nothing but the hum of the engines under his feet, the thought terrified him.

But he knew, deep in his heart of hearts, if he had to make the decision again and lose his life in the process there'd be no question he'd go through with it. He'd be defiant up until the end, spitting in the face of death and cursing it with his last breath, but there were some things that were worth more than one life.

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:57 pm

Damn, that was poignant.
:golf:

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:02 am

Captain's Log, Stardate 11411.06

"Well, I'll be. Griff, it's been a damned long time!"

The Captain couldn't help but grin easily as the older man stumped down the corridor towards him. The grizzled hair, wrinkled skin and missing leg replaced with a very old and very obsolete prosthetic made him seem right at home in this backwater, rundown station orbiting Venus.

"Kal, it's been a long time. How've you been?" He grabbed the man's offered hand, giving it a firm shake before tugging him into a tight hug, giving him a few short pats on the back before pulling back, his grin just a touch wider.

"Good, good! How's your old mam?"

The last time he'd seen this man was just after the Dominion War, handing over the remnants of his merchant fleet for salvage. He scrubbed that memory from his mind quickly, already feeling the grin start to falter. Instead he gave a quiet chuckle, shaking his head.

"She's doing well, ewthyr. This place looks as lively as ever. I trust you got my message?"

The grizzled old man nodded, turning and heading back the way he came. Griff knew that he expected to be followed, and so he did; The man commanded that much respect, and more.

"Aye, I got your message, lad. And it just so happens that I have just the ticket. Had it a few months now, don't ask where I got it because you ain't gonna believe me."

The two men stepped up to one of the forward viewing ports, Griff clasping his hands lightly behind his back as he stared out into the mass of stationary junk. Ships, pieces of ships, containers likely filled with components littered the space around the station. This was one of the many, many salvage yards dotting the quadrant, and it just so happened to be owned by a man that had once served with his father, and Griff himself after his old man had passed away. There were so many favours owned and paid for between the two families that they'd stopped keeping count years before, typically just assuming that it'd equal out somewhere at the end.

"They're just pulling her in now. She flies, she shoots, the old girl has got one more adventure in her somewhere. She needs an overhaul, don't get me wrong, but I've got a pair of plasma coils and a transtator phase inducer. There's a problem with the port disruptor and the torpedo tube likes to jam on every fifth shot. But she's yours, if you want her."

Gliding past the viewport, the only objects moving, were a pair of workbees towing a battered, dingy looking Klingon Bird of Prey. The red wings on the underside faded with age and the scars of many battles seen, but the structure seems sound, the forward deflector in tact if unlit. A quiet smile came to Griff's face, for some reason feeling like this ship would be a perfect vessel for his band of misfits.

"She's perfect, Kal. Does she have a name?"

The older man shook his head, grizzled mane flying.

"Ain't gonna tell ya. Bad luck to rename a ship, she deserves something fresh for a new crew."

Griff simply nodded and watched as the workbees tugged the darkened vessel snugly against one of the outer docking rings, some sort of automated tractor latching on and getting a seal. "I don't anticipate a fight, it's just a bit of fact finding, some interesting stuff picked up by an independent science crew. And with my ship and my crew on lockdown, I think they needed something to stop them going crazy. God knows how long the brass is going to keep us on leave."

He let out a quiet sigh, and the two men turned as one and began walking towards the lift, stepping around some of the larger piles of components. Rhodri knew the man understood, there was nothing to be said.

"I appreciate this, Kal. I'll bring her back newer than ever."

Kal smiled, grabbing Griff's hand and giving it a firm shake. "Just bring yourself home, y'hear? Then let me know how it went."

With that, Kal pushed him back into the lift and hit the button, sending it down towards the third ship of Griff's command career.

------------------------------------

The bridge smelled.....Odd. Not bad. Not musty. Just...odd. He'd gotten used to it on the three hour trip back to Earth, but now and again his nose picked up the scent and he involuntarily wrinkled his nose. He sat in the center chair, raised up on a dias to overlook all of the command station. Right now the whole thing was in single flight mode, and figuring that out had taken him a good thirty minutes, but he'd flown it back here without any trouble. When Kal had called her an old girl, he'd meant it. This was an old B'rel class Bird of Prey, almost as old as he was and definitely showing her age. There were spare parts to replace key systems, but beyond that they'd be patching things over with duct tape. But, this was a science mission, he didn't anticipate combat. Everything was going to run nice and smoothly...

With a flick off his chair's console, he activated the comm and patched it through to Raqiin on Earth's surface.

"Griffiths to sh'Hruvek. Lieutenant, I've found us a ship; It's time to start recruiting volunteers."

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:30 pm

Well, now you even have ME excited to get going!

PreviousNext

Return to Sigma Rho