Captain Rhodri Llewellyn Griffiths

Forum for the Sigma Rho, running every Sunday at 1900 PST/Monday at 0300 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.

Moderator: James Greenman

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Re: Captain Rhodri Llewellyn Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Mon May 05, 2014 2:54 pm

Captain's Log, Stardate 11405.01

Rhodri nodded to Lieutenant Commander Adalberto, giving him the bridge while he stepped into his ready room, a look on his face that could melt bulkheads. Glancing around, he picked up the closest PADD then slipped behind his desk, dropping heavily into the seat and pushing himself under his desk, tapping out the first few commands to open a letter. It wasn't his first, it wouldn't be his last, but one of his crew had died. It was never easy, and it only seemed to be getting harder and harder as the days went on.

It seemed so innocuous. Hypoxia, inadequate oxygen supply to the body. It wasn't painful, he'd just slept and dreamed, never to be woken up again. But someone on this ship, a fellow crewman, had killed him just as sure as if they'd put a phaser to Bill Ashington's head. A knot in his stomach ached with responsibility - this was his ship, his crew, and they'd turned on eachother so far for reasons unknown, but it was his fault. He has a duty to lead these people, to guide them in the careers as Starfleet officers and crewman, and he'd failed in that duty.

His knuckles turned white on the PADD, gripping it tighter. He hoped that he was wrong, jumping to conclusions of malicious intent instead of just an accident but none of it added up. The computer should have alerted someone to the change in atmosphere, and it didn't, which meant that it was either faulty or had been tampered with, and the former was near enough impossible that it made the latter choice obvious. But then...wasn't a member of his crew murdering another just as impossible?

Looking back down at the start of the letter for a second, he placed it down on the desk, switching on his monitor instead. "Computer, open a communication with Beta Signus.." He quickly checked the listings. "...Domicile 1438 Alpha."

"Channel open."

A few moments later, the screen winked on and a young girl clutching a teddy bear under her arm appeared, standing on a chair to reach the monitor. "Hellooo?". Gods...

He put on a gentle smile. "Hello, Alice. My name is Rhodri, i'm calling from the USS Bremen. Is...is your mother home?"

The girl nodded, a gleeful smile on her face as she leaped off the chair and scampered into another room, calling out. "Mummy! Mummy, Daddy's ship is on the screen!"

Obviously she'd been busy elsewhere, as it took a few minutes for a pretty looking woman to walk in front of the screen, a flowing dress on behind a food-stained apron, flour dusting her hands and one of her cheeks. As she sat down, her smile seemed for a moment to brighten up the room. Only the barest hint of fear sounded in her voice. "Captain Griffiths, what can we do for you?"

"Mrs Ashington...there was an incident onboard the Bremen earlier today..."

As he spoke, the room darkened, covering the sun with storm clouds.
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Mon May 05, 2014 3:20 pm

Poor Mrs. Ashington. I bet her bread's not gonna turn out well after that shock.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Mon May 05, 2014 3:24 pm

Aoibhe Ni wrote:Poor Mrs. Ashington. I bet her bread's not gonna turn out well after that shock.

It's probably going to fall. :(

Cadet

Postby Wesley Cowan » Fri May 09, 2014 4:19 am

James Greenman wrote:
Aoibhe Ni wrote:Poor Mrs. Ashington. I bet her bread's not gonna turn out well after that shock.

I know that this comment shouldn't be funny. I know that deep in my morbidly cynical heart.

But I'm sitting in my chair trying not to laugh.

On another note, that was a deep log entry, and hits right in the feels. Right. In. The feels. :(
NAV - Cadet Vincent Calhoun - USS Bremen

"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.” - Terry Pratchett

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Fri May 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Wesley Cowan wrote:
James Greenman wrote:

I know that this comment shouldn't be funny. I know that deep in my morbidly cynical heart.

But I'm sitting in my chair trying not to laugh.

I think you're going to fit in here just fine. :D

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Thu May 22, 2014 7:23 pm

Captain's Log, Stardate 11405.15

Things were starting to come together. Little pieces here and there were adding up. Why use equipment that can be traced back to somewhere? Why all of the evidence that it was a Bajoran that did it, some of this was so obvious that it seemed like a child had done it. Either it was a crime of passion - which the polymer webbing suggests not, too much forethought for a random act - or it was a setup somehow. Everything was adding up....to nothing.

Gritting his teeth, he started to feel the frustration growing. Everything was turning up to answer their questions, but together it asked a single one; "Why would someone want to frame a Bajoran?" Was it a specific person who had a grudge, and Bill Ashington was their tool? Perhaps it was something to do with this 'Order of the New Kai', someone trying to discredit them or make them show up on Federation radar again? None of it was making any damn sense! Everything was too obvious and it was making him question even more.

The situation would be worrying everyone aboard, of that he was sure. Turning to his chair console, he flicked on the internal comms.

"All hands, this is the Captain. I know that some of you are frightened, or worried. You will, by now, have heard of the death of Crewman Bill Ashington. I want to assure you that I am doing everything in my power to find out who did this, and to make sure that they will not do it again. All non essential crew have been confined to quarters for the duration, for your own safety as well as the safety of the investigative teams. But I want to say this; To the person who thought that they could kill on my ship, that thought they could take the life of one of my crew...I will find out who you are. Whatever it takes, however long or however far I have to travel, I will find you."

Taking a deep breath, he let it out very slowly. "That is all." With another flick of his fingers, he closed the comm.

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Thu May 22, 2014 7:32 pm

I hope that made the killer wet him/herself.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Thu May 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Andrew James wrote:I hope that made the killer wet him/herself.

Haha! Thanks, Andrew!

All I could think about was the Liam Neeson on the phone in Taken scene.

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu May 22, 2014 7:47 pm

James Greenman wrote:Captain's Log, Stardate 11405.15

Whatever it takes, however long or however far I have to travel, I will find you."

And now I have the "Last of the Mohicans" theme music in my head.

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Postby James Greenman » Thu May 29, 2014 6:41 pm

Captain's Log, Stardate 11405.22

Griff sat on one of the cargo containers in the Shuttlebay and watched the Doctor at work. She had a sure hand and a deft eye, he was glad to have her in his Sickbay. The investigation had turned up something and she knew what, so he waited patiently for her to finish and spent the time putting his thoughts in order.

Things were starting to get out of hand. Despite his urging that these matters be dealt with carefully the Bajoran crew members were feeling disgruntled, and now getting attacked. He'd tried to urge his new crew up to the responsibility, but would it have been any different if he's been the lead instead? It was a difficult matter all around and none of this was making it easier.

The more evidence that turned up, the more it seemed to be an effort to destabilise the crew somehow or to sow dissent among the Bremen. Whether it was a conscious effort against his ship or just collateral in some kind of political game he couldn't know. Not yet, anyway. But one thing he did know is that it wasn't someone on his crew. He didn't ask how, or why, but subconsciously everything was piecing together and pointing elsewhere. And if he was correct, the only other people that could have done this were no safely on the U.S.S. Hooke. Either posing as an ambassadorial team, or a terraforming crew. But he'd find them, he'd chase them to the centre of the galaxy if he had to.

PreviousNext

Return to Sigma Rho